Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Then he says "I just got promoted. I'm General America now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Then he says "I just got promoted. I'm General America Wakanda now."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just got confirmed by the Senate, I'm Secretary of Housing and Urban Development America now

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Professor X / Magneto are a notable inversion where the hero wears green and the villain wears red.

It's more like purple, still a villain color.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I just got confirmed by the Senate, I'm Secretary of Housing and Urban Development America now

Remember when Dr Doom's villainous scheme of the month was to threaten America until the president appointed him to the cabinet?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember when Dr Doom's villainous scheme of the month was to threaten America until the president appointed him to the cabinet?
I mean Red Skull managed to become President of the US once, so Doom needs to step up his game

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dell Rusk was only secretary of defense.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The Red Skull also became the President in a What If where they mass produced the Super soldier serum.
And also in Old Man Logan he was the President of the messed up America.

And come to think of it, in Mark Gruenwald's run he became a Congressman called John Smith*.

Basically the Red Skull has a long history of involvement in American politics.

* = Sadly the story wasn't called "Johan Schmidt Goes to Washington."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

If only the movie actually went through with that aesthetic, the movie shot itself in the foot when Logan actually beat those latino stereotypes in the beginning of the movie.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
You were thinking they'd beat him to death and the movie would be over in the first 10 minutes?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SonicRulez posted:

You were thinking they'd beat him to death and the movie would be over in the first 10 minutes?

I actually agree that he shouldn't have won that fight

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He still has a bulletproof skeleton.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
And big loving claws.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean like, he should have gotten the poo poo kicked out of him then they all leave before he gets back up. I don't think he should have died. Him killing a bunch of them doesn't really fit the rest of the movie.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Why not he kills like a hundred guys in that movie

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Because he's at his low point at the start. He's a broken man in every way. It says way more about where he is at that point if he loses.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah he's supposed to be defeated and at the end of his rope.

Having him beat up those dudes at the beginning of the movie in such a cool and brutal manner doesn't give him a bottom to rise out from.

The whole movie was confused on whether it wanted to be action fight fest or rumination on violence and old age, it's not as deep as it thinks it is.

e: added the bit about old age

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He doesn't really win that fight.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Doom would probably be better than the current administration. Red Skull, about the same.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

If he lost that fight then where would he had gotten replacement wheels?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Taerkar posted:

If he lost that fight then where would he had gotten replacement wheels?

The result of the fight wasn't really a win for Logan. He still got his rear end kicked despite killing a few of them.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Indeed, but if he hadn't gotten up after he was shot then they would have stripped the car (or at least taken the wheels?). If I'm remembering correctly they're doing just that when he gets up.

(Also that was more in regards to what Arist said)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbh I'm not entirely convinced that Logan needed to have lost the fight (in that he's completely incapable of fighting back or whatever, i think rhyno has a point in that he didn't really "win" either) to show that he's at the nadir of his life, i think the movie did a pretty good job of that without it

site fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 26, 2018

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Yeah he's supposed to be defeated and at the end of his rope.

Having him beat up those dudes at the beginning of the movie in such a cool and brutal manner doesn't give him a bottom to rise out from.

The whole movie was confused on whether it wanted to be action fight fest or rumination on violence and old age, it's not as deep as it thinks it is.

e: added the bit about old age

I don't think that scene is supposed to show you how cool and awesome Wolverine is. It's like the complete opposite.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
He went from barely taking hits off of paramilitary trained professionals in the previous movies to getting his rear end kicked and fumbling through a "win" with some goons.

If he had straight lost that fight everything with the Ravegers that came later would have been that much less believable.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Yeah the whole point is to show that he is still Wolverine in some ways, but he's so much less than he ever was before. A healthy Logan would have beaten a bunch of random street thugs without losing his breath.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et9tJ-KTgwA

This is not what winning a fight looks like. Doubly so for Wolverine.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I don't think that scene is supposed to show you how cool and awesome Wolverine is. It's like the complete opposite.

People cheered in my theater when he cut up those dudes. It's all subjective but it was a classic "sighs as he draws his katana" moment to me.

e: that clip just reminded me about how racist that scene was too

e2: it's all a lead up to 1m30s, Woverine doming a dude

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 26, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You guys are just splitting hairs as to the definition of "win." I think the movie would be slightly stronger if he just totally got his rear end beat instead of killing a bunch of them because it's a better introduction to not just Logan, but the world of the story.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Maybe I’m giving to much benefit of the doubt but I came away from that scene feeling like if he had been stronger and better in control he could have beat them without killing them. The fact that he had to kill them is part of the issue that he is struggling so much.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Getting drunk and passing out on the side of an interstate is also probably not a good idea.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

In my screening of Logan the opening scene caused a guy in one of the front rows to stand up and scream incoherently. He settled down but took off his knit cap and revealed that he was a skinhead. Later he stood up again and was fiddling with something in his jacket pocket and then cops evacuated the theater.

This is not a moviegoing experience that I would recommend.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Someone took a toddler to my Logan screening. :(

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I took a toddler to Valeria, it was a good decision

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Samuringa posted:

I saw a woman shepherd a bunch of little kids to Deadpool, and it only took until the dildo holiday sex scene before she rushed them out of there, lol.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I took a toddler to Valeria, it was a good decision

Sure but she was drawn like a 20 year old

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

Jesus. Why would you do that? I felt like I needed a walk to clear my head after that movie. I can’t imagine how a kid would take it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I guess I just don't see how those guys had any chance at beating up Wolverine. Even old and broken Wolverine that can't heal as well has an unbreakable skeleton. They had a tire iron and guns. Plus it sets the tone that this ain't gonna be one of those movies where Wolverine goes on a bloodless killing spree. It's gonna be harsh and violent. In a weird comparison, it reminds me of Hancock. Yes obviously Hancock is going to stop all of those guys, because his basic power set is way above their level, but it's not really about the actual fight. Drunken Logan pleading with people not to mess up his poo poo car and taking bullets just to preserve his poo poo car is what I think you're meant to take away from it.

But honestly if the argument is simply part of proving that Logan isn't "as deep as it thinks it is" then I'm not sure where to begin.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Well I know someone who won't be seeing Black Panther because it is full of "black people jive."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Mr Hootington posted:

Well I know someone who won't be seeing Black Panther because it is full of "black people jive."

I can't imagine Grampa gets out to the movies very often anyway.

• Locked thread