Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Bizarre Echo posted:

I'm having trouble assembling bases, and I'm not sure what I'm missing. The pieces don't want to be placed on the ground plates, and sometimes the components don't want to connect to each other. What's the obvious thing I'm missing here?

Pieces don't attach to the ground plates for whatever reason. If a piece isn't connecting, try rotating it with the mouse wheel. Some things, like the Moonpool, can't be rotated and can only be connected on certain sides.

It's inconsistent and foundations not attaching is annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
That this game has no auto-save is insane. I just clipped through the floor of the Aurora and lost like half an hour of exploration because I didn’t think to manually save often while in there

Christ

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Legs Benedict posted:

That this game has no auto-save is insane. I just clipped through the floor of the Aurora and lost like half an hour of exploration because I didn’t think to manually save often while in there

Christ
Stuff like that is why you have to thank god it ISN'T autosave only, though. I'd have hated to have an autosave kick in when my cyclops got teleported halfway through a late game mountainside, for example.

An autosave slot+Manual save slot would be nice and sensible. Compared to "We have to cut corners" autosave only in any game that isn't some form of hardcore murder simulator.

But, well. The save files used to reach over two gigs in size, which was the old valid reason for why they never worked on Autosaves or cloud saves.

We do deserve the effort of an additional autosave slot with save sizes fixed now though, particularly with how the liked to toss around "Everyone has a huge hard drive these days, who cares how big it is?" in response to when they were copy/pasting your entire 2 gig save file to programdata when you loaded it.

But would you want to be the guy put under the gun to implement stuff like cloud saves with this game's history? Particularly if you cant say "Unity's fault, just deal with it if we never manage to fix it/We'll fix it in a couple months, honest" if it goes bad.

So it's probably good that we don't have autosaves... Just in a backwards "Because it could ruin your game more than any amount of lost progress" way, not the playerbase mentality of "Go back to CoD if you can't remember to save :smug:":

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 26, 2018

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
This game is a diamond covered in turds. Problem being that the turds are stuck to it and actually increase in quantity as time progresses.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've been having a grand old time. I've hit most of the early tech tree and the only thing holding me back is finding a gel sack, it seems they've been removed from the small crevice near the aurora so instead I've started setting up supply outposts.

My first post I picked the bulb forest near a hot cave and lava vent. The cave has a bunch of rubies and uranite and once I find the gel sack I'll set up thermal plants in the cave to supply renewable energy for a power cell charger and water purifier. The spot is 200 meters from the fossil caves so it's also a perfect spot to start that adventure from.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

So where did you guys build your second base (assuming you had one in the shallows)? I have done a bunch of down to ~300m stuff so far and im just about to start doing stuff further out so I want somewhere closer to the action than the shallows.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Qmass posted:

So where did you guys build your second base (assuming you had one in the shallows)? I have done a bunch of down to ~300m stuff so far and im just about to start doing stuff further out so I want somewhere closer to the action than the shallows.

There are two spots that act as good outpost spots for deeper expeditions. There's where I built mine (bulb forest) which is near an entrance to the fossil cave. And there's underneath the floating island which is near the entrance to an even deeper area.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
There's a couple gel sacks near the one coral tube that sticks out of the water. Not sure exactly where. Try the blood kelp zone near Keen's lifepod too.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Qmass posted:

I ended up making one down in the dark canyon of the Sparse Reef, the one that empties out into Blood Kelp.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Lost Forest on one of the cliffs near the tree at the intersection is a nice spot. Kinda annoying to get to with a Cyclops, but I've read the route is more accessible now.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is there an option to disassemble all these waterproof lockers I've made by mistake?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is there an option to disassemble all these waterproof lockers I've made by mistake?
Nope! It's either abandon them to their fate, or scan a trash can so you can stuff them inside of that for deletion.

I would probably like them more if they compressed into a 1 tile inventory object when empty.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 26, 2018

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Pieces don't attach to the ground plates for whatever reason. If a piece isn't connecting, try rotating it with the mouse wheel. Some things, like the Moonpool, can't be rotated and can only be connected on certain sides.

It's inconsistent and foundations not attaching is annoying.

At least it's not just me. So basically, I shouldn't let my OCD get the best of me and start with the moonpool rather than add it on to a base later?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bizarre Echo posted:

At least it's not just me. So basically, I shouldn't let my OCD get the best of me and start with the moonpool rather than add it on to a base later?

For later bases, definitely start with the moonpool if you can, or some temporary throwaway halls to get it into the vertical position you want. It's the only base part that can decide to tell you to go gently caress yourself, and starting with them works around that problem for the most part.

I've gotten some success over the years with getting them sorta kinda "how I want" onto existing bases. But that's because I like making tall MP room towers with their own dedicated hallway branching off to give me better odds it will even allow a moonpool to attach to an existing base without it deciding being 50 feet away from some rock means it's illegal

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jan 26, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Moonpool rotation is based on the first base foundation you put down. The blue-ish smaller bit is considered the front. And for basic aesthetics tips: Put down two foundations. Put your first non-foundation piece anywhere on top of it then make sure the second is off of it. Delete the first non-foundation piece then delete the foundation it was on. Congratulations you can now string your foundations anywhere you want without them interfering with decorating your base. As long as pieces 'snap' to a grid it'll count as connected without being physically connected.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Streamer i like with a fear of the ocean meeting his first reaper and then gets consoled by his loving girlfriend:
https://clips.twitch.tv/ViscousImpartialOryxShazBotstix

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The game is fantastic now! They have done a close to perfect rebalancing of the resource cost compared to the early access, and now everything just feels easy and fun again. I even started in survival mode and the food/water is still so much less annoying than what it was before. Shure the pop-in is there just the same but it isn't totally catastrophic, it's "merely" bad. Game's still terrifying and fun tho!
And that really caught me of guard! The devs are a weird bunch, but they've done good here (suddenly, I might add). 12h in since release and the game is entirely redeemed for me.

Bad stuff could easily be summarised as the pop-in, a bit of the voice acting, the technical glitches, the unpolished VR, and the uncertainty of what's moddable. If those things could be sorted out inside half a decade of post release support (or bruteforce hardware for the pop-in)? Then people might still be playing this in five years time, easily. It's that good.

There seems to be a lot less bone sharks, while the reapears appears to be less bugfuck angry to boot. Instead, the sea satan is this lone, terrifying, menacing, demon monster again. (It was like that when I first bought the game, then the devs changed the spawns or detection ranges/aggro, somehow now it's like old times!)
And for what its worth, I've built a scanner room and the satans are still screaming.

Haven't bothered with the cyclops. But prawn suit drill arm/moon pool/scanner room are much easier to find now, and the scanner room is almost the best thing in base.

tl/dr: early access bad, release rebalanced and good. Pop-in still there, short sight ranges still there, yet game fun/terrifying. They honestly did good.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Can I bring unimaginable firepower to bear against the fishy menace?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
its so weird how every base element is floaty now. building floating bases supported by nothing is strange. Whatever though.

Pop in is worse than I remenber it. Like, really bad.

Crafting chain is better. New caving tool is great. Grav sphere is an amazing little hunting tool that trivializes early game food collection once you think to build one. does it do other things too?

The constant messages and stuff are real nice, makes it feel like poo poo is actually happening, I like it.

The sense of scale and wonder in VR is incredible, but theres so many little problems it is annoying as hell at the same time. I need to switch over to my monitor to do certain things like read data files which is weird as gently caress to have to do.

A diamond wrapped in turds is def a good way to describe it.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

GlyphGryph posted:

Grav sphere is an amazing little hunting tool that trivializes early game food collection once you think to build one. does it do other things too?

Someone said that you could plop it down in a cave with lots of mineral clusters for instance and it would suck up all the clusters. I haven't tried it tho, i don't have one in my current game.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Dongattack posted:

Someone said that you could plop it down in a cave with lots of mineral clusters for instance and it would suck up all the clusters. I haven't tried it tho, i don't have one in my current game.

I have. It pulls all the sandstone and whatnot straight from the seabed, and when you crack them it grabs the minerals inside so they don't roll away from you. Like rock hunting with a vacuum cleaner.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Are there any cheevos related to Survival mode? Because I'm some way off automating a food and water supply and I'm getting sick of these Bladderfish.

It's blatantly obvious that there are no surviving human NPCs, because that would completely shift the game into something more linear and overtly story focused.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Are there any cheevos related to Survival mode? Because I'm some way off automating a food and water supply and I'm getting sick of these Bladderfish.

It's blatantly obvious that there are no surviving human NPCs, because that would completely shift the game into something more linear and overtly story focused.

Pick up all the salt you see on the bottom and then knife the big yellow coral tubes once for each piece of salt. With the salt and coral you make bleach wich you then turn into 2x sterile water. Get 20 salt (= 40 bottles) and you'll forget about water.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Can I bring unimaginable firepower to bear against the fishy menace?

You can punch everything to death in your mech suit

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Propulsion cannon (gravity gun) is very decent at killing poo poo if you want to do that. Killed a sandshark by shoving 3 objects into his face at high speeds, depends on having poo poo to fling around you tho. Repulsion cannon is also very good, but not for killing, just for pushing stuff into the next biome.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is 5 hotkeys the max or is there a toolbelt upgrade?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

It's the max, unfortunately.

On the bright side for your main inventory, Seaglide, creature decoys, and and more are no longer 3x3 size items these days.

The decoys being 3x3 was particularly absurd, because it meant back then you couldn't even fit a full four load of decoy's into your launch tube in a locker/your personal inventory. I built a tunnel made out of lockers to wildly spiral through leading to the Cyclops decoy port back then :pseudo:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 26, 2018

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I fell through the floor of the containment facility while walking in my prawn suit and got stuck in a wall. Spent nearly an hour trying to unfuck the situation with console commands.

Turns out none of the teleport commands work while you're in a vehicle, so I couldn't pull my suit out like that. I reloaded the save and it must have some kind of sanity check when starting up because it pushed me out of the wall, except now I was at the bottom of the emperor tank and my character and the vehicle were both stuck in LAND mode, so the jumpjets and grappling hook were worthless and I could not actually get out or access an area with a land/water transition.

I ended up having to spawn a fresh prawn suit next to my hosed one and just directly swapped all the mods and inventory over.

This game will never leave early access no matter what the store page or version number says.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Rynoto posted:

Moonpool rotation is based on the first base foundation you put down. The blue-ish smaller bit is considered the front. And for basic aesthetics tips: Put down two foundations. Put your first non-foundation piece anywhere on top of it then make sure the second is off of it. Delete the first non-foundation piece then delete the foundation it was on. Congratulations you can now string your foundations anywhere you want without them interfering with decorating your base. As long as pieces 'snap' to a grid it'll count as connected without being physically connected.

People actually use Foundations? Iv'e never seen the point, since nothing aligns nicely with them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

I've been having a grand old time. I've hit most of the early tech tree and the only thing holding me back is finding a gel sack, it seems they've been removed from the small crevice near the aurora so instead I've started setting up supply outposts.

My first post I picked the bulb forest near a hot cave and lava vent. The cave has a bunch of rubies and uranite and once I find the gel sack I'll set up thermal plants in the cave to supply renewable energy for a power cell charger and water purifier. The spot is 200 meters from the fossil caves so it's also a perfect spot to start that adventure from.

I found out you only need to find one gel sac and can then hit it with your knife to get seeds and plant more in exterior growbeds. Takes the sting out of it.

Scanner Rooms are both easier to build and WAY more useful than when they were first introduced, my god. They suck power like a bastard but it's so worth it to be able to home in on magnetite and other hard-to-find poo poo. The range is pretty expansive too.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I found a time capsule quite close to the lifepod. It contained a note that said something like 'this will solve your Cyclops power issues' along with 5 ion power cells and a model of the Aurora.

Didn't see that mentioned in here yet, I guess it's a gift for early access buyers? Are there more time capsules in the game?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Martian posted:

I found a time capsule quite close to the lifepod. It contained a note that said something like 'this will solve your Cyclops power issues' along with 5 ion power cells and a model of the Aurora.

Didn't see that mentioned in here yet, I guess it's a gift for early access buyers? Are there more time capsules in the game?

You send out a time capsule when you finish the game and put whatever you want in it

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Magus42 posted:

People actually use Foundations? Iv'e never seen the point, since nothing aligns nicely with them.

They're good for getting flat surfaces to put down an exterior growing bed. Plus if you need some extra reinforcement there is some wiggle room with range where parts not attached to anything else still count as part of your base so if you have an area where you can place foundations that won't mess with the aesthetics then that's a nice way to get some extra hull strength. Also somewhat useful for extending power range to thermal generators if gold is more precious than lead at the time.

Speedball posted:

I found out you only need to find one gel sac and can then hit it with your knife to get seeds and plant more in exterior growbeds. Takes the sting out of it.

Scanner Rooms are both easier to build and WAY more useful than when they were first introduced, my god. They suck power like a bastard but it's so worth it to be able to home in on magnetite and other hard-to-find poo poo. The range is pretty expansive too.

A scanner room by itself with a tube for placing a couple storage racks can be powered by just a couple solar panels. It might briefly go offline at night but if you manage you time right you can sleep, start a scan, do a resource run, and be back long before it goes offline.

nessin fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 26, 2018

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Echoing the scanner room advice. When I used it 6 months ago I remember thinking, "why did they bother adding this useless crap to the game?" Now that poo poo is my bread and butter. Farming used to be the most annoying part of this game and it totally negates it and creates a really cool holo-map in the process.

The best part was I founded my base in the Jellyshroom caves so with the range upgrade the map room creates a virtual model of the entire cave system as well as surface topography

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

It's the stupidest thing.

Also I can't figure out how to actually assign them on a controller, someone please help, pressing the assign button just randomly replaces something with something else and it's infuriating.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Thing I have found the tech for, built, and now use: Cyclops

Thing that I have yet to find a single scrap for: loving vehicle mod station.

Also, how low does the sun reach before solar panels become ineffective? I have been having to make bio-reactors for my scanning room outposts because after 200 down I only get 1% sun during the daytime

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Jusupov posted:

You send out a time capsule when you finish the game and put whatever you want in it

Ah, that's pretty cool. I assumed it came from the devs. Thanks, random person!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I found one time capsule so far and it had a reaper comic in it

I was in VR so no idea if it came with anything else or what the comic said haha

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Haven't played since before the Thermal Plant interior was put in, so I just reloaded my save, wandered up to the front door, and... it won't let me in. It wants a tablet, the wiki says it wants a purple tablet, I have an inventory full of purple tablets. No dice.

Is this a bug, or is there a new, different-coloured tablet I need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Is the icon on the pedestal purple?