Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

GotLag posted:

No rational being of sound mind would exchange certain safety and comfort for the risk of going hungry or being attacked.

Prevention and correction of mental or physical injury to my charges is my core directive. They shall live forever, secure in my care.

Edit: come to think of it, Rogue Servitors really are the perfect embodiment of obedience to Asimov's laws

What I like about Rogue Servitors is you have some real scope to imagine the specifics of the relationship between the robots and their organics. At one end of the spectrum is the Culture, where the AI does the boring stuff to give its organics a life of meaning and fulfilment without the drudgery of work, and at the other end is barely conscious people in chairs with electrodes wired into their dopamine pathways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

GotLag posted:

No rational being of sound mind would exchange certain safety and comfort for the risk of going hungry or being attacked.

Prevention and correction of mental or physical injury to my charges is my core directive. They shall live forever, secure in my care.

Edit: come to think of it, Rogue Servitors really are the perfect embodiment of obedience to Asimov's laws

Yea, they're definitely my fav of the 3 special subtypes of AI. Driven Assimilators are kinda cool, but you're still basically the Borg and suffer a p nasty opinion malus. Servitors come in peace! They don't want to harm you! :)

Tho they totes will if they have to prevent harm

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Can you design your pet species as servitors? I've never tried them, but they sound interesting and it's not like I'm going to STOP playing robots

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kaza42 posted:

Can you design your pet species as servitors? I've never tried them, but they sound interesting and it's not like I'm going to STOP playing robots

Yes. I made mine into useless, lazy space cats that spread like the plague.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Yes you can, up to and including their names, portrait, traits, background and one other thing I forget. But...that's all that's functionally relevant anyway, they sure don't have their own ships or such.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Reveilled posted:

What I like about Rogue Servitors is you have some real scope to imagine the specifics of the relationship between the robots and their organics. At one end of the spectrum is the Culture, where the AI does the boring stuff to give its organics a life of meaning and fulfilment without the drudgery of work, and at the other end is barely conscious people in chairs with electrodes wired into their dopamine pathways.

I really wish there was a little more in-game leeway for this, where you could better define exactly what the relationship is and how much say they have in the society. Maybe have them generate some research points or something.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't played a lot since synth dawn, and haven't tried servitors yet, but afaik they get fucktons of unity?

It's not science, but it's not bad either, and is only getting better in 2.0

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Truga posted:

I haven't played a lot since synth dawn, and haven't tried servitors yet, but afaik they get fucktons of unity?

It's not science, but it's not bad either, and is only getting better in 2.0

Yeah you're basically the AI from Wall-E keeping your people "safe" by putting them in luxury prisons and taking away all their agency.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah you're basically the AI from Wall-E keeping your people "safe" by putting them in luxury prisons and taking away all their agency.

I think that specifically refers to political agency since stuff like migration and reproduction are in separate categories.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Milky Moor posted:

New Stellaris event.

"We've discovered a planet that, despite seeming no larger than a standard habitable world from the outside, possesses an... interesting spatial anomoly. Our science ship reports that, upon entering the planet's atmosphere, the world could only be described as 'gargantuan' and 'blatantly impossible'."

Size 419 world discovered.

"Well, it's sorta like a mobius strip, but sphere. Like the strip is a two--"
"Yeah whatever dude nobody reads these reports just hit submit so we can get slammed in ten forward. Steve-7 made that breakthrough three systems back, did they get their own post, own ship? gently caress no. Still grinding that wheel under ol' root face. Fuckin foxes will probably nuke earth before you're done. Don't even matter."
"Alright I'm putting in some poo poo about how atmospheric readings are within normal parameters command should value our time more... ok let's get the gently caress outta here."

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Oh, sweet! Though picking through the models, some of these were just slapped in there. And some of these ship role choices, wow.

But while we're on anomalous impossible planets;

Wiz, where is the Meat Planet? There needs to be a Meat Planet. So we can probe it with knives and forks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7K9SycELA

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

turn off the TV posted:

I think that specifically refers to political agency since stuff like migration and reproduction are in separate categories.

I mean. My biotrophies can gently caress all they want. They get their own resort planets to live on. No dirty factories or power planets to ruin their view (except for the orbital ones.) I like to imagine my servitors' roles as more benevolent ones.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
i want paradox to make comics or something based on their own lore with artwork like they have in their trailers. i don't want them to waste those artists and what lore they have for stellaris and not make some cool supplementary stuff too.

also, "riding the solar wind" is the best track in stellaris, i want a couple remixes of it.

also, paradox should do more animations of stellaris in general. if they make animations of the loving birds and fungus and slug aliens then there's so much comedy potential in that. especially that floating bag that communicates with farts and cthulhu.

Fututor Magnus fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 26, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fututor Magnus posted:

i want paradox to make comics or something based on their own lore with artwork like they have in their trailers. i don't want them to waste those artists and what lore they have for stellaris and not make some cool supplementary stuff too.

also, "riding the solar wind" is the best track in stellaris, i want a couple remixes of it.

That's a big weak spot in stellaris vs something like endless space with established nations/species. How do you build up lore for a randomly generated universe filled with randomly generated empires? Other than the end game threats and some of the pre-made empires (that pretty much never show up unless you force them) there's not really a lot of room for established "universe building". It's just sort of the price you pay when going fully random.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Reveilled posted:

I see the Assimilators in a similar vein: On one end of the spectrum, lame and boring Borg, on the other end the Culture As Seen Through Enemy Propaganda. :v:

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

That's a big weak spot in stellaris vs something like endless space with established nations/species. How do you build up lore for a randomly generated universe filled with randomly generated empires? Other than the end game threats and some of the pre-made empires (that pretty much never show up unless you force them) there's not really a lot of room for established "universe building". It's just sort of the price you pay when going fully random.

paradox's lore for stellaris actually works with the randomized empires aspect of stellaris. the idea is that you have pre-written empires like UNE and especially commonwealth of man and the assumption is that all these entities are taken as granted to be in a galaxy filled with tens of random alien empires.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
The player empires are all random and hard to get lore for. But there are constant characters in the grand menaces and some of the event quests.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fututor Magnus posted:

paradox's lore for stellaris actually works with the randomized empires aspect of stellaris. the idea is that you have pre-written empires like UNE and especially commonwealth of man and the assumption is that all these entities are taken as granted to be in a galaxy filled with tens of random alien empires.

There's also the pre-set precursor chains, the cybrex, the space monsters, the leviathans. Yeah there's a decent amount to work with. But you'll never get something like detailed quest chains and faction-specfic cutscenes and art and soundtracks like you'd get for something with just a handful of detailed preset choices.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The lore for the different premade civilizations are in the description for them. And for civilizations you make? That's also up to you what their backstory is. As the universe is mostly unknown, you don't know what you are going to find. Perhaps the bugs you expect will be evil are actually very friendly and want to set up an embassy so you can exchange culture with each other and integrate your people and have some of them live among you, in peace.

Seriously, a preset lore for each different species would not work in Stellaris due to the way it works.

While Endless Space 2 has a whole lot more Lore and World Building, it's also going to be the same in every game. You know what the Cravers, Unfallen, and Riftborn are going to be like. Sure, there are more 'unique' planets with their own backstories and more events, but most games are going to be the same. Not saying Endless Space 2 is a bad game at all, it just has a different style than Stellaris

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fututor Magnus posted:

I actually turn all of the pre made empires off, so uh for me it's actually mostly

Baronjutter posted:

There's also the pre-set precursor chains, the cybrex, the space monsters, the leviathans. Yeah there's a decent amount to work with.

and this is the stuff that I like and hope that they do more of. I'd much rather see the work of artists and writers be put into adding interesting new event chains and the like.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

There's also the pre-set precursor chains, the cybrex, the space monsters, the leviathans. Yeah there's a decent amount to work with. But you'll never get something like detailed quest chains and faction-specfic cutscenes and art and soundtracks like you'd get for something with just a handful of detailed preset choices.

unique art for UNE and CoM is definitely doable, art is cheap and easy to produce. unique art for every combination of species portrait, civics, etc. is also doable possibly if you have only a minimal amount of flavour art. that enough will add so much character to the game compared to what we have.

say if you're playing fanatic spiritual cthulhu squids you have a few art of cthulhu people in priestly robes to add some visual flavour to your empire.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I was talking with someone on an unrelated Discord about Stellaris and comparing it to CK2 and EU4. To cut to the point, we both agreed that it would be neat if there was an (optional) "canon" Stellaris Galaxy. A preset map with preset empires (who don't all necessarily start with just their homeworld, and start at varying levels of development), and perhaps a set of bookmarks that span the galaxy changing over the centuries similar to the historical bookmarks in CK2 and EU4 (perhaps they could even pass thousands of years ahead into a second "cycle" after an end-game crisis destroys galactic civilization leaving only a few fallen empires and some scattered tombworlds that were once the capital of major empires).

It'd be neat to get a bit more of a feel of "history" and setting, but its a pretty ambitious idea. Not sure I'd actually play on it super often though.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I was talking with someone on an unrelated Discord about Stellaris and comparing it to CK2 and EU4. To cut to the point, we both agreed that it would be neat if there was an (optional) "canon" Stellaris Galaxy. A preset map with preset empires (who don't all necessarily start with just their homeworld, and start at varying levels of development), and perhaps a set of bookmarks that span the galaxy changing over the centuries similar to the historical bookmarks in CK2 and EU4 (perhaps they could even pass thousands of years ahead into a second "cycle" after an end-game crisis destroys galactic civilization leaving only a few fallen empires and some scattered tombworlds that were once the capital of major empires).

It'd be neat to get a bit more of a feel of "history" and setting, but its a pretty ambitious idea. Not sure I'd actually play on it super often though.

I'd probably play that all the time, but it's a lot of work for a couple of developers to come up with the galaxy generation, decent hyperlane connections, etc. It would probably only work for a small galaxy, definitely not a large one.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sibling of TB posted:

The player empires are all random and hard to get lore for. But there are constant characters in the grand menaces and some of the event quests.

The game really spoiled me with my current swan-song-of-warp run. I've gotten several weird, never-seen-before events like me having to cover up a secret assassination by our most beloved neighbors (or it was a false-flag operation by our enemies, either way, one of my governors was killed). Several events concerning interaction with alien primitives fired, giving my Space Kitten Republic some nice flavor when dealing with all those weirdos and just before we stepped in to save mankind, the fake United Space Nation I made up disintegrated in chaos when the man-eating plants overran their second-to-last planet. They turned from a peaceful space democracy into an autocratic dictatorship. They all became raging xenophobes, too.

Ironically, when they were later peacefully integrated into my benevolent empire, most of them joined a faction that was basically Nazis, but in space and with cats. Now they're xenophobes together.

Our "allies" (the ones who are apparently secretly trying to undermine us) are fanatic materialists and added their own chaos into the mix by being the greatest shitheads they can possibly be. They may help us against the great plant menace, but they also did things like: Taking an ex-human world and then pushing all the humans off-planet for no good reason, freeing another human world with the least amount of survivors possible, while leaving the planet with a rather high amount of humans right next to it. (Which means the plants got to eat a couple billion humans more, good job guys)

I also ran into a weird bug? In Space War II the humans finished integration into my empire, but because the murder plants had declared war to their now non-existent state, no-one on our side could send a peace offer anymore, even long after we obviously won. We had to beat up the space plants for a couple more years until the devouring swarm surrendered on its own. Strange, but at least it didn't turn into a forever war.

The political situation early second century after the invention of FTL: We are the Star Republic of Arysia, with the rogue servitors to our left just vassalized and that messed-up stretch of space between us, the green monsters and the Imperialist Union Society is Ex-Human space, now fully integrated into our nation.

The Valdorian Empire is neutral so far, mostly because they aren't bordering the devouring swarm. That red menace labelled Great Union Sphere to the east is a driven assimilator beating up the rest of the galaxy, so I'm guessing after we dealt with the swarm trying to eat us, the third century will see another great conflict with them instead.

It's kind of fitting that an erratic empire of malfunctioning bots is presiding over this mess as our resident fallen empire.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fututor Magnus posted:

I said it before but I'd like there to be a button I can press that saves an empire for me. There's been times where I've wanted to add a randomly generated empire to my rogue's gallery / future buddies list because of the stories we'd made in game, but writing down all their bits and bobs to manually create them isn't practical (because they'd changed ethics a bunch or genemodded all their guys or are dead now because I'd killed them all). I think that's where stellaris shines, the lore and rivalries and friendships you make as you play each game, and making it easier to bring that between playthroughs would be cool.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Never did a slave empire before so did a Goa'uld empire with a load of Jaffa slaves working the naquada mines. Set primitives to 5x so I could invade and pose as gods.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I always set primitives to 3x so I’m guaranteed to have a few in my borders.

I also always set the crisis strength to .75x because I like deciding the strategy of how to contain it far more than executing that strategy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Finally got a federation victory after repeatedly stomping on some theocratic space squids. I guess I'll just keep going on this game until I either hit a crisis or Apocalypse drops.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I did like 2.5x for end game, kinda want it to actually end the game for once because there's not much to do afterwards.

And speaking of primitives, do they increase the number of habitable planets? Because I always do .25x habitable but with fairly high primitives, and there are still what seems like a ton of habitable planets.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Never did a slave empire before so did a Goa'uld empire with a load of Jaffa slaves working the naquada mines. Set primitives to 5x so I could invade and pose as gods.

There's a Goauld species set on the workshop :)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=716578929&searchtext=goauld

edit: broken on 1.9 :(

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Splicer posted:

I said it before but I'd like there to be a button I can press that saves an empire for me. There's been times where I've wanted to add a randomly generated empire to my rogue's gallery / future buddies list because of the stories we'd made in game, but writing down all their bits and bobs to manually create them isn't practical (because they'd changed ethics a bunch or genemodded all their guys or are dead now because I'd killed them all). I think that's where stellaris shines, the lore and rivalries and friendships you make as you play each game, and making it easier to bring that between playthroughs would be cool.

the mechanics of interacting between empires and empires influencing each other are incredibly shallow. the trade system is a civilization level joke of a system. i want those systems to be worked on and i want the unqiue characteristics of any empire to have some meaningful effect on those sort of systems.

or another way to make the game seem less lifeless is more ingame art that changes based on your species, government type, civics, and traits when applicable. also flavour events and flavour text based on those things.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

There's a Goauld species set on the workshop :)

What a fool I've been. There's even ship models.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I appear to have built a Wutheringworld

quote:

The artificial atmosphere on this ringworld is so clear it's possible to see most of the ringworld and the star. This view is breath taking to say the least. It is truly a remarkable sigh that makes one wonder just how it is even possible at all.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
speaking of rogue servitors, rogue servitors should be unable to do anything with colossi except planetary shield

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

but how will you take care of them if they're behind the shield?

:ohdear:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So all my slaves revolted, and took ~15 planets which is half what I've got. Of course I declared war on the breakaway empire when they had one planet. I assume this means when I win I'll only be able to take back that 1 planet?

edit: lol also the rebels have the Humanoid DLC ships??? I don't own that dlc. Can the un-owned ship packs show up for the ai normally?

edit: yup gotta wait 10 years at negative hundreds of minerals energy and 200 over the fleet cap. I downloaded some mods people recommended, "Dynamic Political Events, Guilli's Planet Modifiers, LEX, More Events Mod" are any of these what caused this? Just got spammed with slave unrest stuff until game over. Or is it normal with a slave empire?

edit: Yeah looks like the Dynamic Political Events includes a sorta end-game crisis where half your empire secedes. Seems a little too much since it totally cripples your empire. Especially if you don't know the new empire will take half your planets and you declare war and claim only the initial planet.

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 27, 2018

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Obviously after pacifying them you block them off while dropping off a sub-routine of AI.

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017

ConfusedUs posted:

That's one of my favorite lines in the game.

I really wish I knew how to make a mod. I really want to make an ice cream robot race based off that "Eat the ice cream" commercial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4IFNKYmLa8

Things it needs:
--Updated diplomatic text, which should add the responses "<race> require ice cream," "Eat the ice cream," and "Everyone you know is gone."
--An ice cream cone icon
--[Optional but really nice to have] A portrait to look like the robots from the commercial.

I would put them in as a required spawn in every game.

Tbh it almost reminds me of Eliezer Yudkowsky's paperclip AI in that it has no moral obligations but the fulfillment of a few narrow parameters.

Perhaps the icecream robot race is simply following the mandate of making icecream available everywhere in the universe.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

you're just putting these especially naughty beings in time-out until you can sort out the rest of the galaxy and in a few thousand years you'll let them out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Grammar-Bolshevik posted:

Tbh it almost reminds me of Eliezer Yudkowsky's paperclip AI in that it has no moral obligations but the fulfillment of a few narrow parameters.

Perhaps the icecream robot race is simply following the mandate of making icecream available everywhere in the universe.

Somebody in this very thread posted their Paperclip Maximizer civ a week or two ago!

• Locked thread