Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Little Evil isn't very good, not awful, but not worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TV Zombie posted:

Is it better/scary than Release The Hounds? I was worried about the scariness but it was right up my alley.

RTH is poopy diapers. The gate mechanic is better as they go along but Hellevator is more consistently terrible/good.

Not scary at all but my tolerance is really high.
It's more camp than anything.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

wormil posted:

Little Evil isn't very good, not awful, but not worth watching.

I liked the transdad because he was just wanted to listen to Rush and be a good stepdad.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Len posted:

I liked the transdad because he was just wanted to listen to Rush and be a good stepdad.

I thought she was a gay woman.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

wormil posted:

I thought she was a gay woman.

Maybe? The characters name was Al but either way Al just wanted to be a good stepdad and listen to Rush

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Len posted:

Maybe? The characters name was Al but either way Al just wanted to be a good stepdad and listen to Rush

Could be short for Ally, Alex, Alexandria? True, she was a good character. It works either way I guess. I liked all the characters but felt like the kid was much better as good Lucas than evil Lucas. And Clancy Brown as a priest gives too much away too soon. Evangeline Lilly was wasted in a generic brunette role. It wasn't a bad movie but it doesn't offer anything special.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TV Zombie posted:

Watching Case Closed pn Netflix and watching it reminds me of why the series is such a classic. I just hope/wish that the last episode of the collection has a resolution so that Conan can finally turn back into a teenage boy again.

Meanwhile, Crunchyroll has the current episodes of Case Closed on it (only going back 100 episodes or so, unfortunately), and they're almost 900 episodes in and from looking at the thumbnails he's still in a little kid body.

To give my own recommendation, Crunchyroll is also simulcasting the Junji Ito Collection, which I can recommend to anyone who likes Japanese horror.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yeah I don't think he's ever going to get turned back into his proper age, much like Ash he's going to be a child forever because $$$

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It looks like the Netflix collection is specifically eps #748 to #799 according to Wikipedia, with the show currently on its 886th episode. And 21 movies.

It'd be really cool if the entire run of the series was up somewhere but that's a lot of episodes to handle.

Len posted:

Yeah I don't think he's ever going to get turned back into his proper age, much like Ash he's going to be a child forever because $$$

It's the entire premise of the show and would cut out a bunch of characters if it was ever permanent -- I don't think he'd be able to go on wacky adventures with elementary children anymore, you know? There's been a bunch of different ways here and there where he's been able to temporarily revert to his actual age, though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

flatluigi posted:

It looks like the Netflix collection is specifically eps #748 to #799 according to Wikipedia, with the show currently on its 886th episode. And 21 movies.

It'd be really cool if the entire run of the series was up somewhere but that's a lot of episodes to handle.

It's the entire premise of the show and would cut out a bunch of characters if it was ever permanent -- I don't think he'd be able to go on wacky adventures with elementary children anymore, you know? There's been a bunch of different ways here and there where he's been able to temporarily revert to his actual age, though.

I meant more like it would never end so of course there will never be a conclusion

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Inzombiac posted:

Futureman on Hulu is better than it has any right to be.

Pretty sure I knocked out 8 episodes yesterday.

Thanks for this recommendation, it was so good but I almost didn't stick with it after the first episode. In the end, I liked every character and it has a strange sincerity to it that I really love.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I really enjoyed A Futile and Stupid Gesture on Netflix. It's a movie about the rise of National Lampoon with actors playing Chevy Chase, Christopher Guest and Bill Murray, and others. As a Brit, I never really knew much about National Lampoon but I thought the movie was great with a good few laughs.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Bogmonster posted:

I really enjoyed A Futile and Stupid Gesture on Netflix. It's a movie about the rise of National Lampoon with actors playing Chevy Chase, Christopher Guest and Bill Murray, and others. As a Brit, I never really knew much about National Lampoon but I thought the movie was great with a good few laughs.

Make sure you watch Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Story of the National Lampoon if you haven't.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bogmonster posted:

I’m about 2/3s of the way through and I’m loving it so far. I was not expecting it to be my thing since I don’t usually go for the biopic stuff.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

There are enough travel/eating shows, but I like Somebody Feed Phil. He's got a really infectious playfulness that makes it stand out. I've liked Anthony Bourdain's shows for the most part, but I'm really worn out on his 'type'. A kind of rich guy, with a tan and a shirt buttoned a little too low, who really wants to be seen as salt-of-the-earth, while still being smug as humanly possible. So this was like a palette cleanser in the genre for me.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Bogmonster posted:

I thought it was a lifeless just-so story with little heart and lots of cliches.

Future Man was good.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Open House is another horror movie that starts out ok, loses its footing and throws a fourth down Hail Mary into the next street over.

Most disappointing horror movie since Oculus.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Bogmonster posted:

i'm less than 30 minutes in and the :smug: level is grating, especially from Will Forte

Edit: Finished it and thought it was good - the documentary was much better

Cat Hassler has a new favorite as of 04:01 on Jan 29, 2018

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rolo posted:

Open House is another horror movie that starts out ok, loses its footing and throws a fourth down Hail Mary into the next street over.

Most disappointing horror movie since Oculus.

I watched The Babysitter and was disappointed overall.
It wanted to be scary, funny and heartfelt but never did enough of each.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah I feel the same way. I kinda dig the style they tried for, even though it didn’t really end up great. I do give them bonus points for trying something at least a little bit different.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Tom Segura's new stand up is pretty good.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

Just finished I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore
Despite the very bad title, I liked this one a lot.

It's about a timid nurse (Melanie Lynskey) who is robbed and her quest to recover her stolen goods.
Elijah Wood plays her hopeless but intense neighbor and the movie escalates in a pretty surprising way.

Seconding this. It's a dark comedy, but kind of... weirdly uplifting, in a way?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

1redflag posted:

He's rapidly becoming my favorite comedian.
Every now and then I will scream BIKES! in my head.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I haven't seen a special of his that I didnt like. Dude is awesome.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

1redflag posted:

Yea I was laughing harder at that special than I have at a stand up in a while. His "Mostly Stories" special is probably my favorite, but the new one is really, really good too.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I enjoyed The Polka King on Netflix. There's worse ways to spend 90 minutes.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Inzombiac posted:

It wasn't amazing, but it was kind of cute and worth a watch as a light horror film. I don't have kids but imagine it'd be a non-excessive way to ease tweens into the horror genre.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Netflix just got all the 2000's Oceans movies. Ugh.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Just watched the cloverfield paradox on netflix, I had fun.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Applesnots posted:

Just watched the cloverfield paradox on netflix, I had fun.

I think id have preferred it more if it was like Cloverfield Lane and just it's own thing rather than a prequel to the original. Should i spoil that? It was in the trailer

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Same, it was kinda predictable, but it was worth a watch.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

Your Taint posted:

I enjoyed The Polka King on Netflix. There's worse ways to spend 90 minutes.

90 minutes of jack black doing a bad polish accent. I watched it all though i guess.

Tried watching brittania on amazon does it get better?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Okay so I started The Last Man on Earth on Hulu.

It stars Will Forte as, well, the last man on Earth. The splash screen spoils the end of the first episode where we learn he is, in fact, not the last PERSON on Earth.

It's really funny but don't watch it if you can't handle embarrassment-by-proxy.

I can't recall the last time a show had a main character that was so pathetic, conniving and useless.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Inzombiac posted:

Okay so I started The Last Man on Earth on Hulu.

It stars Will Forte as, well, the last man on Earth. The splash screen spoils the end of the first episode where we learn he is, in fact, not the last PERSON on Earth.

It's really funny but don't watch it if you can't handle embarrassment-by-proxy.

I can't recall the last time a show had a main character that was so pathetic, conniving and useless.

He gets so much worse

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Last man on Earth S1 is pretty bad but gets better. I love the show now bur it took awhile to get there.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm glad I stuck with if only for the opportunity to overexplain a Tony Levin joke to my wife after several seasons

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm on episode 12 and I can only guess as to how he could be worse.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

I'm glad I stuck through season 1, his awfulness really started to wear on me and I couldn't enjoy it. Season 2 was fantastic though, and hit the perfect tone of sweetness, comedy, and pathetic manchildness.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The one-off/flashback episodes are all fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Walk Hard is an underrated comedy and miles better than anything that has Will Ferrell in it.