Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Puppy Time posted:

"Good graphics" is extremely easy to demonstrate and to advertise, especially high definition realism. You show the audience an image, done. It helps that nice pictures really easily impress most people, which is enough to gain a fair amount of sales.

I know that, but people are also getting more and more wise to this. Hell, just look at the poo poo Ubisoft pulled with the Watch Dogs teaser at E3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

any talk of development costs and developers getting less money from sales necessitating higher prices and microtransactions falls apart when you remember how much of the money a game makes goes to shareholders and executives rather than the teams that actually developed the game.

smash capitalism rather than punishing and exploiting consumers.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

ApeHawk posted:

I know that, but people are also getting more and more wise to this. Hell, just look at the poo poo Ubisoft pulled with the Watch Dogs teaser at E3.

The point is that, lying aside, it's still massively easier to get sales based on graphics than less immediately obvious things. Even if companies were afflicted with a curse preventing them from lying about how good their graphics are, they'd still bear wayyyy down on the graphics stuff, because that is hands down the most efficient marketing method.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Uhg, Brad has gone and RUINED the ENTIRE Cinema Snob.

He changed the Favicon on his website: http://www.thecinemasnob.com/favicon.ico

How DARE he make his icon look EXACTLY like the default icon for Weebly site maker?

#NotMyFavicon

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

financially racist posted:

any talk of development costs and developers getting less money from sales necessitating higher prices and microtransactions falls apart when you remember how much of the money a game makes goes to shareholders and executives rather than the teams that actually developed the game.

smash capitalism rather than punishing and exploiting consumers.

Basically this.

The fact is, big publishers are currently making huge bank for the most part off games and yet devs aren't getting any more resources. Why on earth should I or anyone else believe raising the standard AAA price by say $20 would actually make things better for the developers then, rather than add another $20 to the pockets of people at the top? Oh sure, I'd imagine they'd at first pay lip-service to the idea of giving some of it to devs for the PR, to make it more palatable to consumers. But there is no doubt in my mind they'd soon find a way to cut that all away again until the vast majority of that extra money doesn't get anywhere near the developers. And it certainly wouldn't make those executives suddenly want to take more risks instead of frothing at the mouth at how many extra $$$ they can make off the next COD or whatever instead.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Puppy Time posted:

"Good graphics" is extremely easy to demonstrate and to advertise, especially high definition realism. You show the audience an image, done. It helps that nice pictures really easily impress most people, which is enough to gain a fair amount of sales.

By contrast, great gameplay and good writing are extraordinarily subjective, and require a lot of time with the product. There's no easy way to advertise them.

Yeah, but there are also weirdos like me, who look at two different super-graphic shots and with every passing tech generation, it gets harder for us to see a difference. "Good graphics" is mostly psychological. In truth, it already entered the stadium of diminishing returns and everything above that is the mental equivalent of a economical bubble, if that makes sense. Sooner or later enough people will have wised up to make the entire thing come crashing down.

In a way, you could even argue that things like the rising number of retro and indy games are already a sign of things to come.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Uh when did Youtube get the sponsor feature?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Libluini posted:

Yeah, but there are also weirdos like me, who look at two different super-graphic shots and with every passing tech generation, it gets harder for us to see a difference. "Good graphics" is mostly psychological. In truth, it already entered the stadium of diminishing returns and everything above that is the mental equivalent of a economical bubble, if that makes sense. Sooner or later enough people will have wised up to make the entire thing come crashing down.

In a way, you could even argue that things like the rising number of retro and indy games are already a sign of things to come.

Oh yeah, absolutely. The entire issue is treating games as a product to be sold in the same way as something you'd buy at the grocery store. I think AAA game publishing is hitting the "plunder and escape" mode now, where the focus is on milking as much from the product as possible before the bottom drops out.

I still think that graphics are always going to be a fairly heavy weight as far as marketing is concerned, though; even in the indie sphere, you're going to get so much more attention with "good graphics" than anything else unless you're pretty lucky. It's just the nature of the beast; we're all very distracted by shiny things.

ETA:

MiddleOne posted:

Uh when did Youtube get the sponsor feature?

Last September, according to a quick googlin'.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sarcopenia posted:

How do you even make Charmerd withouth the blatant chauvinism and 90/00 outfits. That's like 89% of the original show. Maybe they'll compensate by making the elders even bigger dicks?

I mean, the show was produced by the main stars, and apparently a lot of the weird revealing outfits really belonged to them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Eff this Xena and Buffy talk, where is my Hercules reboot starring Kevin Sorbo?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Leal posted:

We regret to inform you that Kevin Sorbo is now a toxic crazy person.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

minecraft has sold over one hundred million copies. i don't think graphics matter even remotely as much as they once did.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

minecraft has sold over one hundred million copies. i don't think graphics matter even remotely as much as they once did.

The minecraft and AAA game audiences are totally different though

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i highly doubt that is the case. in fact i bet the venn diagram of people who buy aaa games and people who buy minecraft is a near complete circle.

like, kinda everyone in the gaming world aside from elitist assholes has played minecraft at this point.

furthermore i'd also argue that a lot of aaa game success has to do with how entrenched that poo poo is in the industry and the absolutely loving gigantic marketing budgets (which often dwarf development costs) far more than the graphics in the games themselves.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 26, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

FoldableHuman posted:

Okay, so you didn't actually process the point at all and just sort of short-circuited when the word "nice" showed up, got it. Because, no, the first is not an expansion of the second. They're entirely separate arguments, devoid of similarity beyond the fact that they share some words.

It's literally an expansion, that's literally what it is.

What any of this has to do with my original post I have no idea.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 26, 2018

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The thing isn't that you can't sell a game with poor graphics, it's that it's much easier to sell a game on good graphics than on anything else.

Minecraft is popular because its gameplay is good enough that it got lucky and received word of mouth marketing. There are probably hundreds of games just as fun that will never achieve its popularity, just because they aren't lucky.

If you have the graphics, that's something that can attract people's attention long enough to find out the rest. Without graphics, you're facing an uphill battle to get attention.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Puppy Time posted:

The thing isn't that you can't sell a game with poor graphics, it's that it's much easier to sell a game on good graphics than on anything else.

Minecraft is popular because its gameplay is good enough that it got lucky and received word of mouth marketing. There are probably hundreds of games just as fun that will never achieve its popularity, just because they aren't lucky.

If you have the graphics, that's something that can attract people's attention long enough to find out the rest. Without graphics, you're facing an uphill battle to get attention.

i think graphics do still matter but art style and novel gameplay are both catching up rapidly. it's not like minecraft is the only ridiculously successful game with unimpressive graphical capabilities; terraria for example has itself sold 20 million copies, you've got games like bastion and braid selling at or near aaa levels. and nintendo are of course known for not really pursuing graphical showcases since the wii and yet they still sell gangbusters with games that are eye-catching instead of hyper-realistically-rendered recreations of our world.

i mean poo poo the switch alone is kinda evidence that graphics are mattering less and less and less compared with just having a game that is nice to look at. you don't need graphics when you have talented artists instead.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
So basically the marketing departments are pushing for higher graphics because they can convey that aspect of the game in 15 second commercials far more practically than they can convey qualities like story or gameplay.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Puppy Time posted:

Yeah, if graphics wasn't the issue, then games with retro-styled graphics like Devil Daggers, Strafe, Paranautical Activity and High Hell would be much more popular than they are.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

i think graphics do still matter but art style and novel gameplay are both catching up rapidly. it's not like minecraft is the only ridiculously successful game with unimpressive graphical capabilities; terraria for example has itself sold 20 million copies, you've got games like bastion and braid selling at or near aaa levels. and nintendo are of course known for not really pursuing graphical showcases since the wii and yet they still sell gangbusters with games that are eye-catching instead of hyper-realistically-rendered recreations of our world.

I'd like to point out that when most game critics talk about the Wii nowadays, it's mostly in the context of the massive amount of shovelware that was released for it. That console sold a lot, but the only games people talk about are all iterations on Nintendo's big franchises, and updated ports of older games.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i am tim! posted:

So basically the marketing departments are pushing for higher graphics because they can convey that aspect of the game in 15 second commercials far more practically than they can convey qualities like story or gameplay.

if this were the case then why do all aaa games end up copying the gameplay loops of one another so frequently?

so far as i can tell, the aaa space consists only of three types of games: games that want to be call of duty, games that want to be uncharted, and games that want to be grand theft auto (and last console generation, a fourth type of game that wanted to be gears of war...thank fuckin christ that's over at least).

if graphics were the thing that sold games, you'd think they'd actually diversify in their gameplay more than they have.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Spark That Bled posted:

I'd like to point out that when most game critics talk about the Wii nowadays, it's mostly in the context of the massive amount of shovelware that was released for it. That console sold a lot, but the only games people talk about are all iterations on Nintendo's big franchises, and updated ports of older games.

And Xenoblade.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

if this were the case then why do all aaa games end up copying the gameplay loops of one another so frequently?

so far as i can tell, the aaa space consists only of three types of games: games that want to be call of duty, games that want to be uncharted, and games that want to be grand theft auto (and last console generation, a fourth type of game that wanted to be gears of war...thank fuckin christ that's over at least).

if graphics were the thing that sold games, you'd think they'd actually diversify in their gameplay more than they have.

Why are almost all PC indie games variants on 2D platformers, visual novels and first person shooters?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Spark That Bled posted:

Why are almost all PC indie games variants on 2D platformers, visual novels and first person shooters?

because most pc indie devs are in fact lazy assholes who can't code for poo poo, and most of the games that meet your criteria sell like poo poo unless they are done spectacularly well or in a particularly novel way. furthermore the most successful indie games are generally not fps games or visual novels, and have a low representation of 2d platforming.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

because most pc indie devs are in fact lazy assholes who can't code for poo poo, and most of the games that meet your criteria sell like poo poo unless they are done spectacularly well or in a particularly novel way. furthermore the most successful indie games are generally not fps games or visual novels, and have a low representation of 2d platforming.

Three of the four of the big indie success stories you mentioned earlier are variations on two of those things. I suppose I should add "twin stick shooter" and "Action RPG" in order to round out the go-to genres, so Bastion can be included.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Spark That Bled posted:

Three of the four of the big indie success stories you mentioned earlier are variations on two of those things. I suppose I should add "twin stick shooter" and "Action RPG" in order to round out the go-to genres, so Bastion can be included.

if you are going to tell me that minecraft is an fps game or that terraria is a platformer i am just going to say that you are either not arguing in good faith at all or you are a complete moron

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

if you are going to tell me that minecraft is an fps game or that terraria is a platformer i am just going to say that you are either not arguing in good faith at all or you are a complete moron

Well, what are they, then? Sports games?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

they are both crafting survival games

i mean gently caress if you wanted to have an example of overdone indie genres you could have just said 'crafting survival games', that's more accurate and has had more success and more cynical copycats than prolly any other genre in indie games

you suck at this dude

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

they are both crafting survival games

i mean gently caress if you wanted to have an example of overdone indie genres you could have just said 'crafting survival games', that's more accurate and has had more success and more cynical copycats than prolly any other genre in indie games

you suck at this dude

So basically, you just proved my point that indie games don't diversify their gameplay more than AAA games do?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Spark That Bled posted:

So basically, you just proved my point that indie games don't diversify their gameplay more than AAA games do?

as a whole? no.

the successful ones? yes, even if they are within an otherwise common genre. there are not any other 2d platformers that play like braid. there are not any other fps games that play like superhot.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

THIS ARGUMENT IS EVEN loving DUMBER AND MORE WORTHLESS THAN THE ONES THAT NORMALLY HAPPEN IN THIS THREAD JESUS CHRIST

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i can't say i disagree

let's talk about this fantastic game jim sterling recently played instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkIUslpV8ho

:catstare:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Leal posted:

No joke he had a heart attack and his brain went without oxygen for six minutes or something and when he woke up he was a reactionary libertarian. Just like Tila Tequila.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

i can't say i disagree

let's talk about this fantastic game jim sterling recently played instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkIUslpV8ho

:catstare:

At least it's not going to last much longer on Steam by now. If it hasn't already been pulled as I'm posting this right now.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh c'mon, his role in God's Not Dead wasn't that bad.

business hammocks posted:

No joke he had a heart attack and his brain went without oxygen for six minutes or something and when he woke up he was a reactionary libertarian. Just like Tila Tequila.

This is actually really disheartening :(

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

The dev (or just a troll claiming to be the dev) has already sent Jim an e-mail threatening to have the vid taken down. No surprise, he called Jim a "fag".

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l87Ddn-_CQI

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Leal posted:

Oh c'mon, his role in God's Not Dead wasn't that bad.

This is actually really disheartening :(

If you want the real good poo poo, check him out in Alongside Night also “starring” the vulcan from Star Trek Voyager and Jake Busey.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Puppy Time posted:

By contrast, great gameplay and good writing are extraordinarily subjective, and require a lot of time with the product. There's no easy way to advertise them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_o6DxhslAI

Alaois posted:

THIS ARGUMENT IS EVEN loving DUMBER AND MORE WORTHLESS THAN THE ONES THAT NORMALLY HAPPEN IN THIS THREAD JESUS CHRIST
Now that Bravest of the Lamps has been probated, there's now a power vacuum on who can be the worst poster in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Kay Kessler posted:

The dev (or just a troll claiming to be the dev) has already sent Jim an e-mail threatening to have the vid taken down. No surprise, he called Jim a "fag".
Can't wait for the Digital Homocide 2: Suelectric bugaloo video.

• Locked thread