Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

First lesson: Always have clean hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Clean hands, clean minds.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Wash your drat hands

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

"Oh, of course. I'm sorry. That was careless of me."

Valentine rushes into the station and emerges shortly after, looking a little abashed, but no less eager.

You, meanwhile, have already hired a cab and loaded the bags into it.

"Don't forget your picnic basket," you say, pointing.

"Oh, yes, I nearly forgot." Valentine heaves it into the back seat of the cab, saying "Upsie-daisy!"

"Don't say 'upsie-daisy'."

"Whoops. Sorry."

quote:

You and Valentine slide into the back of the cab, with the picnic basket between you.

"I packed us a lunch," Valentine says. "I wanted to bring you something to thank you in advance for taking me under your wing. I know it's awkward. I don't know what kind of food you like, so I packed a bit of everything."

You watch as Valentine opens the basket and points out the various lunch items in it. "I packed lots of finger sandwiches, and pickled vegetables, and charred peppers stuffed with buttered bread crumbs, and some hard cheese, and a bottle of cider. Do you like marinated eggplant? I also have some of that, and some baguette and jam, and for dessert - you're going to really like this - some lovely cream puffs. I suppose we can just feast here in the cab."

It looks extraordinarily delicious, but it also looks rather messy and potentially the sort of food that might leave a lingering aroma.

She tries to judge from your expression whether or not you are pleased.

"I think it would be tidier to eat that later, don't you?"
"It looks so lovely, Valentine. I'm afraid I ate on the train."
"I can't wait to eat this charming picnic. I'll start with some of those pickles."

Most current stats posted:

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Bold: 58%
Culture: 25%
Intellect: 37%
Observe: 38% (+6%)
Persuade: 42%
Skulduggery: 19%
Soothing/Abrasive: 34%/66%

Your Reputation
Renown: 28%
Tranquility: 20% (+8%)
Suspicion: 10%

Rory: 36%
Valentine: 29% (-3%)
Frankincense: 44%
Aunt Primrose: 21%
Col. Firesnuff: 34%

Ready Monies: 23

Pangurban fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 28, 2018

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Eat later. I smell a trap in #2 (guess- she eats, we don’t, still a mess).

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Eat it later. Eating in a car is difficult enough; I don't want to imagine trying to eat in a moving carriage.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

eat now and be merry.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I ate on the train.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Eat later.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Eat later (1).

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Eat later. I hope there's more opportunities to make friends with Valentine. At least our ward should like us.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Seems churlish to refuse such a charming picnic.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

"Oohh," says Valentine. "Tidier. Yes."

"And, possibly, the aroma - though delightful - might not be welcome when we arrive."

"I hadn't thought of that."

"remember this lesson for the future," you say.

"I just wanted to bring you something nice."

"It is appreciated."

But Valentine doesn't look so sure.

quote:

As you ride along, you talk with Valentine, learning a bit about her. She speaks at length about her six brothers, and the Cotswolds, where she grew up. It was expected that Valentine would want to work at her parents' candy shop.

However, after her parents' illness, Valentine had to provide for the family, and found her way to the city, taking on a few temporary, short-term positions to learn the trade, and joining the Junior Cadbury Club, where she was nominated as "Most Promising."

As you talk, Valentine turns her face up to you, looking into your eyes artlessly.

"I wanted to apologize if I'm mucking things up, Butler. I'm a little flustered, and I'm not sure what I'm doing."

"There is no need for an apology," you say.

"Well, good," Valentine says. "Good, good, good. I'm very excited to start, you know."

"That is obvious."

quote:

Twenty minutes later, you approach the grounds of Ritornello, and the world becomes filled with color, as you take in the astonishing palette that autumn has painted the world with: dark plum, fiery orange, and scarlet, everywhere, dotted here and then with russets, pumpkin pie orange-brown, and a deeper gingerbread brown. Even from inside the cab, you fancy that you can hear the rustling of the leaves, all dancing slightly with the wind.

Valentine sits next to you, studying your posture, and trying to mimic the way you are sitting. She straightens up and folds her hands in her lap.

"I was just wondering," Valentine says. "What would you say the most important part of being a good valet is, for you? I mean, what's the most important thing for me to work on?"

"An excellent question. I would say the most important thing is..."

"Listening to one's employer's orders and not deviating."
"Solving problems on your own without bothering your employer."
"Learning how to educate and shape your employer."

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Intellect: 37%
Observe: 38%

Your Reputation
Tranquility: 20%

Valentine: 25% (-4%)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
The best butler solves problems before his master is even aware of them. Preferably with his fists of course.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Solving problems on our own.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Educate and shape

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Shape

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Maugrim posted:

The best butler solves problems before his master is even aware of them. Preferably with his fists of course.

Of course, since fists are unladylike in high society we might suggest an umbrella or skillet for our protegee.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Shape and Educate

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Shape & Educate our employer and our peers.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Solving problems. Practical problems.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Educate and shape (3).

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Solve on your own.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

We are tied between educate and shape and solve problems on our own. Next new or changed vote takes it.

I am amused that no one voted for "follow employer's instructions without deviating." Shows we're all in at least that much agreement about what kind of man we've created here.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
solve problems on our own

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

"That makes a lot of sense," says Valentine. "I am still working on that. I just feel like it's important to check in with my employer when something unexpected comes up."

"Novices often do feel that way. But this skill is what distinguishes a great servant from a merely tolerable one; one's employer hires one in order to make life smoother, to have someone to remove obstacles in their path before the obstacle can prove a stumbling block."

"I think I understand."

"And therefore," you say, speaking with some gusto, "you must never rest. You must watch out for all opportunities to make life just a bit easier. That is what you will do when, someday, you ascend to the lofty heights of becoming a lady's maid. But even in your relatively lowly current position, you will, no doubt, have many opportunities to remove problems on your own initiative."

"I see." Valentine thinks for a while. "But surely there must be times when your employer, despite all your work, contrives to make his or her life difficult."

"Oh my, yes," you say. "try as you may to solve their problems, they will often manage to create more."

"Tell me! What do you do then?"

What do you respond?

"Listen carefully, then, and I shall tell you an illustrative tale about Mr. Wintermint."
"One does not share stories about one's employers."
"I cannot tell you anything specific, but I will give you the broad outlines," I say, knowing that it may be somewhat more difficult to either amuse or instruct Valentine in that way."

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Intellect: 43% (+6%)

Your Reputation
Tranquility: 20%

Valentine: 25%

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Let me tell you about rory... (1)

We did say we had a habit of speaking our mind.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
illustrative tale from our own experience.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Spill the beans

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Tell a tale, that way we get to hear it too!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Well this one time Mr. Wintermute...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

An illustrative tale!

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
There wasn't enough LP so I bought the game myself and I've been through twice already. It's great, thanks for showing it off, I can't wait to see how Butler turns out

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Listen carefully (1).

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Spill the beans about Bertie Rory

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Rory is an idiot.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

"Oh, good!" Valentine says, turning to you to catch every syllable.

You begin telling a story about a time involving a nasty stain on one of Rory's favorite outfits, and he still insisted on standing and making a toast at a dinner party for a justice of the peace to whom he owed some money.

It is not a story that shows Rory in his best light, but it is a rather good story.

What is your goal in telling this story?

Mostly to make Valentine laugh and relax.
To scare Valentine with a bit of a cautionary tale about the challenges of successfully doing one's duty.
To offer some memorable tips to aid Valentine in her remembering proper behavior.

The parallel's between Rory Wintermint and Bertie Wooster are very, very real.

In addition, I wanted to put this out there to you guys. We've got a choice coming up that's a bit of a fake choice - whatever we select results in like two lines of dialogue and no stat changes before the scene proceeds as written. Do you want me to go ahead and move through that choice myself, or would you guys still prefer the vote for completeness' sake?

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Intellect: 43%

Your Reputation