Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

Meanwhile I've found I can never let Vulpes live past Nipton anymore. Especially if I've taken Terrifying Presence and can inform him I'm going to wear him for a hat. It's just way too tempting to blow his head off as soon as he runs his lip.

I think I picked up the idea from here, but my one and only gimick play through was taking the cannibal perk and eating everyone I came across. I wanted to see if I could get that flesh of champions hidden perk or if it was a myth.

I started to become less motivated to play it tho as I would walk into a town and people wouldn't immediatley flea from me. I'm the Maniac of the wastes! I've eaten everyone I've ever talked to. Surely you've heard of me. Why are you even opening a conversation with me? Especially one that's not about my very public reputation of killing and eating everyone I've ever met??

It ruined my immersion. Some reputation system this game has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

KoRMaK posted:

I think I picked up the idea from here, but my one and only gimick play through was taking the cannibal perk and eating everyone I came across. I wanted to see if I could get that flesh of champions hidden perk or if it was a myth.

I started to become less motivated to play it tho as I would walk into a town and people wouldn't immediatley flea from me. I'm the Maniac of the wastes! I've eaten everyone I've ever talked to. Surely you've heard of me. Why are you even opening a conversation with me? Especially one that's not about my very public reputation of killing and eating everyone I've ever met??

It ruined my immersion. Some reputation system this game has

You should at least be able to get the NCR, Legion, and Powder Gangers to attack you on site no?

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
If you eat everyone you've ever met, who would be alive to spread your cannibalistic reputation?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm sure there had to be some people that I missed.

I couldn't eat the robots either

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Logan's Loophole and Punchman is a really fun playthrough, especially after you beat down a Praetorian Guard then use his ballistic fist to get seven more. :v:

I've moved on to Honest Hearts, then I'm going to do OWB, then DM, LR then wrap up, since I'm at the part where I have to say hi to everyone and I might as well mix it up. Also it's insane how much faster the game goes with low lockpicking/hacking and just walking past all that stuff instead of stopping to loot or hack every single thing.

One thing I noticed though is that while replaying FO3 I barely crashed or had issues unmodded (somehow, since I sure as hell didn't when it came out), NV is as crashy as ever. Also sometimes it just refuses to load and hangs so much that task manager doesn't seem to even want to kill the process. Other than that though it's been fun; a lot of mods I had installed was really more for repeated playthroughs, stuff like Project Nevada really wasn't as essential as I thought. But then I'm only punching people. :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Use nvac and enboost to stop crashes. If you get the infinite loading bug, start a new game and then immediately load your hanging save file.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arcsquad12 posted:

Use nvac and enboost to stop crashes. If you get the infinite loading bug, start a new game and then immediately load your hanging save file.

I'll get around to installing NVSE and some basic stuff like that eventually I just wanted to take a look at how it was totally clean for a change.

Also, to add to the list of reasons Legion Bad, I don't think I ever listened to the dialogue from Ranger Andy about how they use child soldiers because they know the NCR soldiers will hesitate to shoot before this run.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Unless they're Khan children, then gently caress it, fire away

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DeathChicken posted:

Unless they're Khan children, then gently caress it, fire away

lol

e: I forgot how good the Survivalist story was

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 24, 2018

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

KoRMaK posted:

I'm the Maniac of the wastes! I've eaten everyone I've ever talked to. Surely you've heard of me.

From whom?

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

I'm currently playing a Danny Trejo melee/unarmed kill everyone do no missions run and i'm thoroughly enjoying it. It's actually a lot more challenging than I thought it would be but things have gotten easier now that I added Super Slam. So far i've wiped out Goodsprings, the Powder Gangers, Primm, Nipton, Bonnie Springs, Thorn, Vault 3 and the surrounding ruins, and Crimson Caravan. I took out half of Westside before I had to bail because of Meansonfabitch. Is it possible to kill every single NPC in the game? I know you can't kill Yes Man and i'm assuming the Gun Runner's Robot, but if it's at all possible I want to hunt down every single possible person.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Why aren't you teamed up with Raul, for dual Trejo action?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Why aren't you teamed up with Raul, for dual Trejo action?

would Raul put up with that?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Raul seems to put up with whatever. He might get real sarcastic about it but he's never in a big hurry to leave.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Btw yes, every NPC can be killed. I think the only exceptions are in the ending quests, you can't kill the head of whichever faction you're aligned with

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
The only NPCs that can't be killed are the Vendertron (So you can always buy more guns and ammo), Yes Man (You can 'kill' him, but he comes back), and the handful of children. Everyone else is free and fair game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You can even kill God! :haw:

Speaking of which just finished Dead Money again. The mechanics were more obnoxious than I remember but I still enjoyed it for the most part. It has a really good mood to it. I feel like the dlcs as a whole are a more coherent and realized theme in themselves than in the base game. Also I like how Dead Money and Old World Blues in particular expand on the idea FO3 very (very) briefly touches on about how the world was on the cusp of entering a state of post-scarcity and transhumanism right as it all came down. I also like how the NCR and Legion are fighting over a crumbling dam when the infinitely configurable replicators to create endless food, drink, and resources from garbage are like an hour away.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 26, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RBA Starblade posted:

You can even kill God! :haw:

Speaking of which just finished Dead Money again. The mechanics were more obnoxious than I remember but I still enjoyed it for the most part. It has a really good mood to it. I feel like the dlcs as a whole are a more coherent and realized theme in themselves than in the base game. Also I like how Dead Money and Old World Blues in particular expand on the idea FO3 very (very) briefly touches on about how the world was on the cusp of entering a state of post-scarcity and transhumanism right as it all came down. I also like how the NCR and Legion are fighting over a crumbling dam when the infinitely configurable replicators to create endless food, drink, and resources from garbage are like an hour away.

Which would have ended the world all over again (maybe not 'the cosmos goes numb once again' bad but still on the opposite end of the 'end of the world' scale from what post-scarcity traditionally implies) if dredged up, because look at what the people that discovered those things did with them. I wouldn't even trust Yes Man with those. I barely trusted myself with those, even that only to the extent that it got me through the Sierra Madre, and the Courier doesn't get the hologram or bomb collar blueprints.

And remember that the biosphere had about packed it in to the point that your country was doing okay if starvation was only a sometimes food.

The Old World wasn't seeing the 22nd century, one way or another.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 26, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Even if it were possible to implement it, a climb everything mechanic would probably completely break New Vegas and make it unplayable.

It would be *super cool* for a future Elder Scrolls/Fallout game, though. Not counting on it, given Bethesda finds ladders to be too problematic for their AI, though.

Daggerfall had climbing, it was completely useless because the few places you might think it could replace the levitation spell also had broken geometry that made you almost always fall even at max skill.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If anyones played around with climbing picks in the new Ark expansion, thats what I want in literally every game from now on

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Daggerfall had climbing, it was completely useless because the few places you might think it could replace the levitation spell also had broken geometry that made you almost always fall even at max skill.

I don't think that's an indictment of climbing as a mechanic, but just of the fact that barely anything worked in Daggerfall.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Fallout with BASE jumping.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I don't think that's an indictment of climbing as a mechanic, but just of the fact that barely anything worked in Daggerfall.

It was an okay idea, and also no where near the most useless skill in Daggerfall (that's a tie between pick pocket and every single monster language).

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wasn't there some quest and or dungeon in Daggerfall that had you trapped in a pit or cage that you had to climb out of but you you had to be basically maxed out in climbing to even stand a miniscule chance leaving 99,99% of characters hopelessly trapped?

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

FreudianSlippers posted:

Wasn't there some quest and or dungeon in Daggerfall that had you trapped in a pit or cage that you had to climb out of but you you had to be basically maxed out in climbing to even stand a miniscule chance leaving 99,99% of characters hopelessly trapped?

I find it difficult to believe Climbing was ever necessary in a world where Levitation exists.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I miss Levitation :smith: one of my most memorable moments of Morrowind was going into a Telvanni tower as a big dumb axe swinger, realizing they never bothered to build stairs because they all know levitation, and immediately I knew everything I needed to know about the Tevanni without a word being said.

Smug pricks :mad:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ah, memories of flying through the sky with the Boots of Blinding Speeds (very fast, very blind) to travel around Morrowind...

This was usually followed by several minutes of killing all the Cliff Racers that had pursued me while I was zipping around like a missile.

Yes, I know there are ways to prevent/lessen the blind effect. But the anecdote is funnier if completely blind.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It'll never happen, but my ideal future Fallout would be written by Obsidian and developed using MGSV's Fox Engine. Sure, there's no climbing in MGSV, but the gameplay looked like a perfect fit for Fallout.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Fallout with BASE jumping.

Fallout but Just Cause

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

StashAugustine posted:

Fallout but Just Cause

Just below Alpha Protocol but Hitman: Blood Money on my wish list.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah, it's a relatively early dungeon in the main quest and if you don't have either the mark/recall spell or levitation you're basically SOL.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Just below Alpha Protocol but Hitman: Blood Money on my wish list.
That's kind of what HITMAN™©® GmbH SPA ASPCA is.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Danaru posted:

I miss Levitation :smith: one of my most memorable moments of Morrowind was going into a Telvanni tower as a big dumb axe swinger, realizing they never bothered to build stairs because they all know levitation, and immediately I knew everything I needed to know about the Tevanni without a word being said.

Smug pricks :mad:

I just wish you could craft On Touch/Projectile Jump spells.

When I heard this effect existed in Morrowind I had dreams of killing people by making them leap into the stratosphere. Sadly, it was not meant to be.

I still had plenty of fun crafting and using a jump spell that was exactly strong enough to take me from Wolverine Hall to my telvanni tower, though.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Though I do miss levitation and spell crafting, what I really miss is the game design philosophy that represents. There's no way you can put that in a game and go, "This isn't a super powerful ability that the players will abuse as much as possible." So Bethesda knew that those abilities were potentially game-breaking but kept them in anyway because they were fun ways to approach problems, and it was deemed worthwhile that the player figuring out what they wanted to do with all these tools/toys was more important than experiencing everything the "intended" way. Oblivion and Skyrim sort of turn that on its head, where most spells and abilities are heavily reined in, instead of making the game more flexible to deal with the fact that the player might be flying or casting weird spells.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
More games should have some sort of flyer/glider or wingsuit apparatus. There are very few games that wouldn't be improved by this. Only if the game is designed with it in mind from the outset though, you can't just add it in later. To use as an example, the recent Ark expansion included this and the map they made for it is just mindblowingly gorgeous and very cleverly designed around the fact that you can't fly but there's stuff above you to get to

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

More games should have some sort of flyer/glider or wingsuit apparatus. There are very few games that wouldn't be improved by this.

Can confirm, Toejam & Earl for the Sega Genesis had the Daedalus Wings and was an outstanding game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

aniviron posted:

Though I do miss levitation and spell crafting, what I really miss is the game design philosophy that represents. There's no way you can put that in a game and go, "This isn't a super powerful ability that the players will abuse as much as possible." So Bethesda knew that those abilities were potentially game-breaking but kept them in anyway because they were fun ways to approach problems, and it was deemed worthwhile that the player figuring out what they wanted to do with all these tools/toys was more important than experiencing everything the "intended" way. Oblivion and Skyrim sort of turn that on its head, where most spells and abilities are heavily reined in, instead of making the game more flexible to deal with the fact that the player might be flying or casting weird spells.

They didn't take out levitation because it was overpowered, they took it out because cities were turned into separate loading zones and they couldn't figure out a good workaround for people flying over castle walls.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

aniviron posted:

i do think a lot of the weird in morrowind wasn't really intended in many of the ways fans have pulled off in the years since but it does come down to a very different general design philosophy at the time

which makes it more funny that fans of daggerfall back then decried morrowind of dumbing things down too much in morrowind (like morrowind fans of oblivion and skyrim), though we have a lot less stories of weird poo poo people got up to in TES2

i guess being way more unstable and without a core modder base just hasnt extended the life of that game like it did for morrowind

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

popewiles posted:

Can confirm, Toejam & Earl for the Sega Genesis had the Daedalus Wings and was an outstanding game.

Far Cry Primal is the worst Far Cry because it has no way to fly (no your owl doesn't count).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Berke Negri posted:

i do think a lot of the weird in morrowind wasn't really intended in many of the ways fans have pulled off in the years since but it does come down to a very different general design philosophy at the time

which makes it more funny that fans of daggerfall back then decried morrowind of dumbing things down too much in morrowind (like morrowind fans of oblivion and skyrim), though we have a lot less stories of weird poo poo people got up to in TES2

i guess being way more unstable and without a core modder base just hasnt extended the life of that game like it did for morrowind

Well yeah they went from a game that included the entirety of the Elder Scrolls world to game that includes a small province of it. There's less of everything.