Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/957040488825180160

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I hope it's "More Clothing" mode.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mega64 posted:

At this point if anyone has any interest in playing Mother 3, just loving play the fan translation already. Tomato is a professional translation and huge Earthbound fan and did probably the best fan translation I've ever played.

I'm interested in playing Mother 3. I'll play it when it gets an official western retail release.

There's too many good games for me to gently caress around with ROMs and illegal translations and poo poo

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm interested in playing Mother 3. I'll play it when it gets an official western retail release.

There's too many good games for me to gently caress around with ROMs and illegal translations and poo poo

ok

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

yeah

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

The hint book Tomato and co. made for Mother 3 is really nice.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Stan Taylor posted:

I remember being excited to load up emulators on my Android and lmao what a miserable loving experience that is.

I got a Shield Portable (back when it was just "the Shield") primarily on the strength of people telling me how great retro emulators on android is/was and the lure of being able to play anything N64-and-before on a dedicated handheld device sounded like a kickin' rad idea

It wasn't a fantastic experience but maybe I was just looking in the wrong place for good android apps, I know the google play store is/was a bit of a wild west in terms of separating the wheat from the chaff

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Even if/when Mother 3 is officially released, I’ll probably stick with the fan translation since I’m not sure the official one would match it and I’m used to it.

Mother 3 is amazing game with a ton of heart in it and I’d like to see more people play it.:)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mega64 posted:

I hope it's "More Clothing" mode.

Itll replace all blades with Pyra and the camera in every cutscene will be locked at chest height.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

uh-huh

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

This is supposedly Nintendo circa 1889, but there are people refuting that claim saying Yamauchi Nintendo was founded in 1933 and only began making karuta cards from 1947 onwards.
Still, this is where it all started.
(Apologies if this's been posted already; thread moves fast.)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

This is supposedly Nintendo circa 1889, but there are people refuting that claim saying Yamauchi Nintendo was founded in 1933 and only began making karuta cards from 1947 onwards.
Still, this is where it all started.
(Apologies if this's been posted already; thread moves fast.)

This is pretty great.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

DLC Inc posted:

I couldn't believe this when it was revealed. "nah there was no copyright trouble. We have just been lazy as gently caress and don't care"

in the very rare chance Mother 3 shows up on Switch it will have been the case of "we had it ready but didn't want to blow our money shot on a dying WiiU/first year of Switch"

This is basically where I'm at. Mother 3 was totally going to be a big deal VC release on the Wii U, but those plans were scrapped hard when the move to the Switch began internally. It's probably ready, but they're still not ready to even reveal what VC plans they have for Switch.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Anybody else own a Nintendo hanafuda deck?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This is basically where I'm at. Mother 3 was totally going to be a big deal VC release on the Wii U, but those plans were scrapped hard when the move to the Switch began internally. It's probably ready, but they're still not ready to even reveal what VC plans they have for Switch.

I'm thinking they may release it with Earthbound and Mother 1 (as Earthbound Beginnings as it's been rebranded in the West) with some sort of Earthbound name attached to it and call it the Earthbound Collection, but not until next year or something. And the three games will be made available separately on whatever VC service they end up doing? Maybe?

Lord Frisk posted:

I have the one from Club Nintendo, does that count?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The Lobster posted:

I have the one from Club Nintendo, does that count?

Is that the one with Mario and Luigi on em? If you can play hanafuda, it's a hanafuda deck. Mine has cherry blossoms and cranes and poo poo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the thought of playing another 50 hours or so of this complete with a potentially worse Core pull rate sounds terrible. I liked my time with XC2 but will probably never play it again

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The second playthrough mode sends you to the eshop page for breath of the wild.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The biggest mistake was picking up a physical copy of Binding of Isaac because I liked the cover art. That's a game where you want to pick up and play right away, having to swap in a cartridge means I don't play it even half as much as I might otherwise.

It's why it's the only cartridge I bought so I still have it with me at all times :)

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Lord Frisk posted:

I own a Nintendo Hanafuda deck. It’s a neat little souvenir.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Evil Fluffy posted:

SoM's mobile remake/port is kinda bad IIRC so be careful what you wish for.

The Romancing SaGa 2 remake is, IMO, precisely what these developers should be doing when going back to their decades old JRPGs for remakes. Cleaning them up, redrawing things, and expanding their vision to better fit what we have today while keeping the original aesthetic intact. It may not be the perfect port but after 100 hours with SaGa 2 I am absolutely ready to plunk down full price for the SaGa 3 remake they're doing.

I liked this way more than the aesthetic they went with for FF6 iOS. Here's a comparison of the original SNES version to the present day version on everything.

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

Lord Frisk posted:

Odds are, if you have a proper, old-school hanafuda deck, it'll be made by Nintendo.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm really enjoying XB2 but you're out of your drat mind if you think I'm doing New Game + or some poo poo

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm really enjoying XB2 but you're out of your drat mind if you think I'm doing New Game + or some poo poo

if it was actually difficult i would play it but..

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Alan_Shore posted:

Maybe they'll make it easier to get Rare Blades on NG+.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Given that I live in Japan, maybe I should just get the Seiken collection and forget about that upcoming 3D version of SoM, if it's gonna be like the Vita version of 1.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Folt The Bolt posted:

If the Seiken Densetsu Collection comes over, I'll finally be able to play Seiken Densetsu 3 legit, which is all kinds of good, much like how I'm able to get Romancing SaGa 2 legit these days. Here's hoping it's good.

(I'm one of the peeps who first came of the knowledge of Seiken Densetsu 3 and Romancing SaGa 2 through that Mario rom hack.)

SD3 is pretty fun. The combat system is different from Secret of Mana. I think the FFA remake for GBA uses the SD3 combat system, if not an upgrade of the game engine itself?

Wishlist for new gameplay mode even though I probably won't play it for a long time, if ever:

- Tales style "pick what you want" options for the NG+ run, which would include...
- All blades unlocked and can be moved between drivers freely.
- Tiger Tiger gives 10x the ether/rewards and you can craft the light core (assuming it's not a NG+ that just carries over inventory).
- Start with a set of cores that gives you ever story-related blade that you don't get to use (you know the ones I'm talking about).
- Allow Tora to use blades, and Poppi to be used by other drivers. :getin:
- NPC that lets you just buy rare blades outright because fun that dumb gacha, seriously.
- (lategame spoiler) Nia blade able to be used without converting Nia, so you can have Nia wield Nia. :v:
- New superbosses that are made with the expectation that you're fully competent at the combat system and are going to be running Poppi Murdergoddess Mode and similar OP-as-poo poo setups.
- That poison breath attack to actually be a goddamn frontal attack all the time and not randomly decide to hit Rex and Nia even though they're standing between 5 and 8 o'clock when an enemy uses it. :argh:

Policenaut posted:

The Romancing SaGa 2 remake is, IMO, precisely what these developers should be doing when going back to their decades old JRPGs for remakes. Cleaning them up, redrawing things, and expanding their vision to better fit what we have today while keeping the original aesthetic intact. It may not be the perfect port but after 100 hours with SaGa 2 I am absolutely ready to plunk down full price for the SaGa 3 remake they're doing.

I liked this way more than the aesthetic they went with for FF6 iOS. Here's a comparison of the original SNES version to the present day version on everything.

I'm really happy with how they did these and that it wasn't some half-assed job with generic sprites like FF5 and FF6 had on their mobile ports. Imagine if all the SaGa characters were lazily edited Final Fantasy Dimension characters though... :psyduck:

And you've put 100 hours in to the game? That's insane. You have to have murdered all the memories and probably hit the global cap (40?) for every weapon and magic element long before that. :aaa:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Best two player game local only for switch is?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Junkie Disease posted:

Dunno about best, but some good ones are: Snipperclips, Overcooked, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime. Snipperclips has a demo, not sure about the other two.

I also like Gungeon but opinions here are very polarized, and I haven't even tried the 2p mode, so I can't give that an unequivocal recommendation.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Junkie Disease posted:

Snipperclips is an amazing unique coop game. Mario Kart is always a good choice for local multiplayer.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm really happy with how they did these and that it wasn't some half-assed job with generic sprites like FF5 and FF6 had on their mobile ports. Imagine if all the SaGa characters were lazily edited Final Fantasy Dimension characters though... :psyduck:

And you've put 100 hours in to the game? That's insane. You have to have murdered all the memories and probably hit the global cap (40?) for every weapon and magic element long before that. :aaa:

I've been working on the Platinum for it over on the PS4 version. Yeah I put a ton of time into it, mastering all the fusion magic spells, learning a ton of different techs, collecting super gear. I'm on the end of NG+ and about to go into NG++ for another go of it just to beat the game without triggering the Final Emperor, which is apparently some real RNG questing. The final optional boss reached from all 4 memories is nuts too, because it requires you to abandon popular cheese tactics and really prepare for it.

It's all been really fun though, something about it is really compelling to me in a way that other RPGs I have on right now like Trails of Cold Steel 2 and Xenoblade 2 just don't do for me.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

SeANMcBAY posted:

Snipperclips is an amazing unique coop game. Mario Kart is always a good choice for local multiplayer.

I should have mentioned I love snipperclips already.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Snipperclips is the best. My phone even sees it as a auto word now

Also the pro controller's battery life can not be over stated. I just charge it at random when I notice the battery line moved.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

The sprite work in the ff5 and ff6 remakes are some of the words I've ever seen.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Reality Loser posted:

The sprite work in the ff5 and ff6 remakes are some of the words I've ever seen.

Word.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Hooray, the surgery was a success! I replaced my gray joycon shells with the translucent blue ones. It took about an hour with a steady hand and the proper tools, and I'm not too shy to admit that I nearly hosed everything up.

They're a great project if you've worked with multilayer stuff that REQUIRES tweezers, and they're worth paying someone to do if you're not up to the task.

Side note, I discovered that my left doesn't have the conductive foam. Anyone happen to have some? Doesn't seem worth ordering for such avtiny quantity

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Why did we start talking about Mother 3? I tried so hard to find the source but it just came up like a weed.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Mother 3? That's a pretty good game. You can sorta see why it took so long to make, it is ambitious as hell for a portable title, but it's so different in tone and themes from Earthbound that it makes for a strange sequel. It's pretty loving hard too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Sentient Data posted:

Hooray, the surgery was a success! I replaced my gray joycon shells with the translucent blue ones. It took about an hour with a steady hand and the proper tools, and I'm not too shy to admit that I nearly hosed everything up.

They're a great project if you've worked with multilayer stuff that REQUIRES tweezers, and they're worth paying someone to do if you're not up to the task.

Side note, I discovered that my left doesn't have the conductive foam. Anyone happen to have some? Doesn't seem worth ordering for such avtiny quantity

Nice! I really want to do the atomic purple shells for my joycons and co sole, but will wait for warranty to expire. Also, since people say they needed to spray with matte clear coat to get the N64/GBC look, I want to see what the longevity of spraying the plastic is. Don’t want the rubbing off on my hands.

• Locked thread