Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

A new guy showed up for X-Wing the other day. He is one of those guys who started at the very beginning, played through around wave 6-7 or so, then moved on.

Well now he's back into the game, coming to our league nights, and...he's really brash and loud. His voice BOOMS. HE YELLS EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME.

He doesn't talk, he pontificates. He preaches. He has to be right. And his current crusade is to prove, against all mathematical, anecdotal, and statistical evidence, that you can fly a 40+ point B-Wing and have it be competitive.

Fuuuck this guy is going to get on my last nerve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My wife used to play a lot of X-wing, but once I got more in the competitive side of the scene she lost a lot of interest. You really need to enjoy the game a lot to not get annoyed by the added complexity of new stuff.

We still play lots of other games though.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
There's a guy in my local X-Wing group who i refuse to play anymore because the last time i played him in a casual game (I was using 2 rebel TIEs and 2 attack shuttles, for Christ's sake), he would't shut the gently caress up about how the game is unfair or I was cheating each time I landed a hit (this is normal for him). Then, I managed to kill one of his ships and he loving punched the table real hard and made poo poo fall over and bounce around the mat. I wordlessly started packing my poo poo up, and he loudly kept asking (yelling?) 'why are you quitting?", and just told him that wasn't cool to act out like that and it made things unfun and made everything awkward

Haven't played hims since, and most other players have been strange with him too. I hate toxic players.

Also, my wife wants me to teach her the game because she likes the flying part, and i'm 99% sure she will be better at this then me because she is better at 99% of games then me. I want her to do really well at local tournaments so i can call her a Mary Sue.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

enigmahfc posted:

There's a guy in my local X-Wing group who i refuse to play anymore because the last time i played him in a casual game (I was using 2 rebel TIEs and 2 attack shuttles, for Christ's sake), he would't shut the gently caress up about how the game is unfair or I was cheating each time I landed a hit (this is normal for him). Then, I managed to kill one of his ships and he loving punched the table real hard and made poo poo fall over and bounce around the mat. I wordlessly started packing my poo poo up, and he loudly kept asking (yelling?) 'why are you quitting?", and just told him that wasn't cool to act out like that and it made things unfun and made everything awkward

Haven't played hims since, and most other players have been strange with him too. I hate toxic players.

Also, my wife wants me to teach her the game because she likes the flying part, and i'm 99% sure she will be better at this then me because she is better at 99% of games then me. I want her to do really well at local tournaments so i can call her a Mary Sue.

There's a guy at one of our local stores who open carries a pistol and has the worst temper. I leave when he shows up. I'm legitimately afraid of him.

The guy I'm talking about above is just loud and kind of obnoxious. I'll take that any day of the week over a fear of getting shot over a game of plastic space ships.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

There's a guy at one of our local stores who open carries a pistol and has the worst temper. I leave when he shows up. I'm legitimately afraid of him.

The guy I'm talking about above is just loud and kind of obnoxious. I'll take that any day of the week over a fear of getting shot over a game of plastic space ships.
I'd leave any place when I see a person open carrying with no uniform, no questions asked... visiting my relatives in Texas is awkward.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ConfusedUs posted:

:stare:
One of our LGSs had to put a "No Open Carry" sign on the front door after someone did this. That person then went to the facebook and ranted about it on the ratings page. The best part are the people who were taunting the guy with stuff about bringing a gun to a children's play space.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, no, i'd be right the gently caress out if I saw a guy open carry into a loving game shop.

Like, how scarred do you have to be at all times of the day to think bringing a gun to a place where people play loving board games is a rational thing?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

enigmahfc posted:

Yeah, no, i'd be right the gently caress out if I saw a guy open carry into a loving game shop.

Like, how scarred do you have to be at all times of the day to think bringing a gun to a place where people play loving board games is a rational thing?

I don't want to derail this politically, but basically the idea isn't that "they're bringing it into a game shop." That's not any different from anywhere else. For safety, they believe they have to bring it everywhere.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
Last years Arizona Regionals featured some dude with a revolver on his hip and a 10 (more like 4) gallon hat on his head. I dubbed him the Worlds Nerdiest Cowboy. Didn't see him this year.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ConfusedUs posted:

I don't want to derail this politically, but basically the idea isn't that "they're bringing it into a game shop." That's not any different from anywhere else. For safety, they believe they have to bring it everywhere.

It's loving dumb

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

ConfusedUs posted:

Never know when you might REALLY need that crit

Cobaltshift
Jul 15, 2013

I am literally in a rehearsal for Mahler 6 (which is what that is from) so I got an extra kick out of seeing this.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Tequila Ranger posted:

Last years Arizona Regionals featured some dude with a revolver on his hip and a 10 (more like 4) gallon hat on his head. I dubbed him the Worlds Nerdiest Cowboy. Didn't see him this year.

Ahaha I was there too. Dude was weirdddddd.
One of the employees at Desert Sky open carries when at work or when playing in store, and it annoys me.

Dipping into gun culture, among most gun enthusiasts open carry people are regarded as big dumb creeps that the rest of the community hates.
There are zero practical advantages to carrying that way and in fact, a great deal of disadvantages.
It makes people uncomfortable and only appeals to attention seekers.
It makes the carrier less safe, because it's like walking around with $800 in twenties sticking out of your pocket just begging for someone to crack you in the back of the head with a brick, grab it and run off.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Jesus. Real glad I am not in your country. Cause uh, if someone shows up witha gun to a game store here, cops are getting called, and we all go hiding.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

Ahaha I was there too. Dude was weirdddddd.
One of the employees at Desert Sky open carries when at work or when playing in store, and it annoys me.

Dipping into gun culture, among most gun enthusiasts open carry people are regarded as big dumb creeps that the rest of the community hates.
There are zero practical advantages to carrying that way and in fact, a great deal of disadvantages.
It makes people uncomfortable and only appeals to attention seekers.
It makes the carrier less safe, because it's like walking around with $800 in twenties sticking out of your pocket just begging for someone to crack you in the back of the head with a brick, grab it and run off.

Does it make you more likely to get shot by the police as well?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Z the IVth posted:

Does it make you more likely to get shot by the police as well?

Yes. How much more likely depends on the answer to one question: how dark is your skin?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Put something political here, thought better of it.

X-Wing's a cool game, huh?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Yes

Great cool game.

Talk me out of talking my girlfriend into a tournament next weekend.

Cause uh, we haven't practiced too much and I don't want her to get crushed.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Hah 6-shooter carrier at last years AZ regional was weird. He was buddies with a few of the guys there, and being an out of towner, I thought his whole shtick was a goof.

MN has a law about the specific wording of our "No firearms" signs, and the one at the FFG Event Center gets so many comments, especially from non-Americans.

Local Facebook group is coming up with fun achievements for the Regional. Stuff like win a game by rolling 3 natural evades/crits at time. Any ideas?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Evade a harpoon with a T-65

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sometimes I open carry my DL-44 when I play with plastic ships in public.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

canyonero posted:

Local Facebook group is coming up with fun achievements for the Regional. Stuff like win a game by rolling 3 natural evades/crits at time. Any ideas?

-Losing a ship to a friendly bomb
-damage a friendly ship when you trigger the Harpooned condition
-gain more then 3 stress.

I like anti-achievements that people won't plan for but things that might still happen.

Also, I open-carry Harpoon Missiles

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

enigmahfc posted:

-Losing a ship to a friendly bomb
-damage a friendly ship when you trigger the Harpooned condition
-gain more then 3 stress.

I like anti-achievements that people won't plan for but things that might still happen.

Also, I open-carry Harpoon Missiles

Fly a non-named phatom
Fly a fat han
Fly a hwk with no turret

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

One achievement we had in a store champs was the Stormtrooper Award, for rolling 4 or more attack dice and rolling all natural blanks.

After a 3 month period of some job uncertainty where I was avoiding spending money, I spent a bunch of money on X-Wing last week. Caught up on some missing ships, and bought some cool tokens.

The Broken Egg Gaming metal tokens are so rad. I got the focus and shield tokens in chrome and sky blue, and they are lovely. Big, heavy, and even better looking in person (like your mom)
http://www.brokenegggames.com/hero-focus-tokens.html

Also got the acrylic condition tokens from Curled Paw Creatives. They look really good, and I love how the harpoon tokens pop on the table.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/508207352/acrylic-condition-token-set?ref=shop_home_feat_3

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

A new guy showed up for X-Wing the other day. He is one of those guys who started at the very beginning, played through around wave 6-7 or so, then moved on.

Well now he's back into the game, coming to our league nights, and...he's really brash and loud. His voice BOOMS. HE YELLS EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME.

He doesn't talk, he pontificates. He preaches. He has to be right. And his current crusade is to prove, against all mathematical, anecdotal, and statistical evidence, that you can fly a 40+ point B-Wing and have it be competitive.

Fuuuck this guy is going to get on my last nerve.

Love these types of stories.

I don't get to play much. I went to a local shop Monday so another player (who is actually a nice dude) could get some "reps" in with his regional list. I didn't care, I just wanted to play.
A local dude showed up that really likes to give his opinion on everything. Sometimes he isn't bad, but this night he was. Plus he does a podcast so he enjoys holding court with people that think he is a celebrity.

I was using Poe/Dash against the other guys Kanan/Fenn list that is the rage right now. He placed Kanan, I placed my Dash right across from it so I could bait Kanan by doing an intimidate hard 1 and have him chase me.

The guy watching said "Why on earth would you do that? You all should restart so I can show you how you should set up Dash."
I just said "I'm fine."
I proceeded to win the game, and the next one.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Does anyone know of any cool X-wing groups in the Boston area? I've been looking around Meetup, Facebook, and a couple of local game shop's websites, but I can't find anything that isn't a couple of years old.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 26, 2018

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

quote is not edit

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yes

Great cool game.

Talk me out of talking my girlfriend into a tournament next weekend.

Cause uh, we haven't practiced too much and I don't want her to get crushed.

I signed up for the Hoth Open at Adepticon, and I've played maybe a dozen competitive games. I fully expect to get destroyed, but it will be interesting anyway.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

lazerus06 posted:

Love these types of stories.

I don't get to play much. I went to a local shop Monday so another player (who is actually a nice dude) could get some "reps" in with his regional list. I didn't care, I just wanted to play.
A local dude showed up that really likes to give his opinion on everything. Sometimes he isn't bad, but this night he was. Plus he does a podcast so he enjoys holding court with people that think he is a celebrity.

I was using Poe/Dash against the other guys Kanan/Fenn list that is the rage right now. He placed Kanan, I placed my Dash right across from it so I could bait Kanan by doing an intimidate hard 1 and have him chase me.

The guy watching said "Why on earth would you do that? You all should restart so I can show you how you should set up Dash."
I just said "I'm fine."
I proceeded to win the game, and the next one.

"Stay on Target..."
"Nah, I'm fine."
<Destroys Deathstar>

Funzo posted:

I signed up for the Hoth Open at Adepticon, and I've played maybe a dozen competitive games. I fully expect to get destroyed, but it will be interesting anyway.

Getting destroyed means your playing other people getting destroyed, which are usually the funnest group of people because perspective on plastic spaceships are usually in the right place.

I did okay at Gencon (made it to second day, and was in the top 45 or so after that, so okay), and the most fun I had was when me and my opponent both knew we had no chance of making any kind of of cut so we started to actually, you know, have fun with the game (even though I completely spaced out that Ghosts can shoot out the back arch when the Shuttle is docked.....I tried to get fancy with Dengar and failed.) I didn't even expect to make it to the second day, so everything after that was gravy

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 26, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Funzo posted:

I'm trying to get a group together to go to this. I got at least one buddy who's in.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I'm really wanting to try a list with Poe in it for regionals but can't find a YT-2400. I'm toying with this one but is there any glaring changes I need to make to this one before I bring it to the local game night?

Lowhhrick (28)
Selflessness (1)
Rey (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Poe Dameron (PS9) (33)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R2-D2 (4)
Advanced Optics (2)
Autothrusters (2)
Black One (1)

Fenn Rau (Sheathipede) (20)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Hotshot Co-pilot (4)
Flight-Assist Astromech (1)
Guidance Chips (0)

Total: 100

Fake edit- Fenn needed those guidance chips because I'll be damned if the mod spot isn't filled.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Spiggy posted:

I'm really wanting to try a list with Poe in it for regionals but can't find a YT-2400. I'm toying with this one but is there any glaring changes I need to make to this one before I bring it to the local game night?

Lowhhrick (28)
Selflessness (1)
Rey (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Poe Dameron (PS9) (33)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R2-D2 (4)
Advanced Optics (2)
Autothrusters (2)
Black One (1)

Fenn Rau (Sheathipede) (20)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Hotshot Co-pilot (4)
Flight-Assist Astromech (1)
Guidance Chips (0)

Total: 100

Fake edit- Fenn needed those guidance chips because I'll be damned if the mod spot isn't filled.

You might need to wear a cup because someone's gonna want to punch you in the dick.

(It's fine.)

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

ConfusedUs posted:

You might need to wear a cup because someone's gonna want to punch you in the dick.

(It's fine.)

So far my group has a Kanaan/Fenn, stress bots, and various 2x/3x harpoon+aces practicing for Houston. If anything I'm the good guy here.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Spiggy posted:

So far my group has a Kanaan/Fenn, stress bots, and various 2x/3x harpoon+aces practicing for Houston. If anything I'm the good guy here.

Oh that sounds lovely.

Honestly that Kanan/Fenn list is both everything I love (jank) and everything I hate (small decision tree) about X-Wing combined. I'm not sure if I love it or hate it.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Friend of mine is bound and determined to fly 3x T-65/70 at regionals. We played a bunch of games with my Scum harpoon list and it wasn't pretty for him. Is there a 3x X-Wing list that stands a chance against high PS harpoons or massed harpoons. He was flying Poe, Jess and Nunb.

I feel bad since this is the guy who taught me how to play X-Wing.

Raged fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 27, 2018

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm trying to get a group together to go to this. I got at least one buddy who's in.

I've never been there, but it sounds like fun. I'm also playing in the team tournament with a friend and his 12 year old son. We're going to fly an X-Wing each and have fun with it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Raged posted:

Friend of mine is bound and determined to fly 3x T-65/70 at regionals. We played a bunch of games with my Scum harpoon list and it wasn't pretty for him. Is there a 3x X-Wing list that stands a chance against high PS harpoons or massed harpoons. He was flying Poe, Jess and Nunb.

I feel bad since this is the guy who taught me how to play X-Wing.

The Intensity/Comm Relay/Autothrusters Red Vets list ConfusedUs posted a few days back is pretty good for that kind of thing. It has all the kinds of things X-wings need in order to not get super wrecked by Harpoons, in the form of improved range 3 defense, persistent actionless defense buffs, token stacking, and multiple repositions.

Basically it makes the Harpoons try really hard for range 2 to make sure they actually hit, and if you're playing X-wings well (especially T-70s) you have pretty good distance covering ability.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Strobe posted:

The Intensity/Comm Relay/Autothrusters Red Vets list ConfusedUs posted a few days back is pretty good for that kind of thing. It has all the kinds of things X-wings need in order to not get super wrecked by Harpoons, in the form of improved range 3 defense, persistent actionless defense buffs, token stacking, and multiple repositions.

Basically it makes the Harpoons try really hard for range 2 to make sure they actually hit, and if you're playing X-wings well (especially T-70s) you have pretty good distance covering ability.

Thanks for that must of missed it. Going to try to convince him to run it.

I was given a board to set on top of my coffee table and picked up the Hoth mat today. Nice to be able to practice movements and have games at home.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

open carry is dumb but so is thinking someone is going to shoot you over a spaceship game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

banned from Starbucks posted:

open carry is dumb but so is thinking someone is going to shoot you over a spaceship game

You know what's dumber? Thinking that nerds that open carry are smart and level-headed enough to never pull it out.

• Locked thread