Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If it’s the left lane, it may be to leave room to bail if the guy in front of them decides to turn left without signaling and figures it’s not safe to unless they have 20 seconds of no traffic coming the other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If it’s the left lane, it may be to leave room to bail if the guy in front of them decides to turn left without signaling and figures it’s not safe to unless they have 20 seconds of no traffic coming the other way.
you can't turn at a red light :thunk:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Elizabethan Error posted:

There's a lot of poo poo you can't do that people do if they think they can get away with it

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Hirayuki posted:

I have been That Neighbor. A couple years back, when I was tired of the truck perpetually parked across the street from the same van (belonging to a different neighbor, or more precisely to his basement-dwelling dullard son), I called the Abandoned Vehicles Desk of the police department, the people responsible for this kind of violation per our township ordinances. Every week I'd call and leave a voicemail, until one day the dude picked up.

He said, "Look, we ran the plates, and it's registered to that address, so :shrug:." I argued that it didn't matter who owned the thing: it was illegally parked, period. He said people park on the street and go on vacations and stuff, and oh well. "What if you parked your car on the street and left for a week's vacation?" he asked. "I'd expect my car to have been towed when I got back, because it's illegal to park on the street for more than 48 hours." Motherfucker, those are the rules. Enforcing them is your job.

I didn't get anywhere else with him apart from an impressively Gallic combination of :geno: and :shrug:, and him insisting there was leeway and we should instead focus on being "neighborly". So I wrote a snail-mail letter to his boss, the chief of police. Within a week, the truck had that telltale neon sticker on the driver's side window; it was moved before it got towed.

But then here we are, two years later to the month, and both that truck and this van (along with two other vehicles that, while inconveniently parked, do at least move around a little bit) are still on this loving street, and why should I bother calling when I know poo poo ain't gonna get done?

I'm going to send my husband next door to talk about the van. They're otherwise fine neighbors, and they've come to us asking for us to please not use our side garage light because it shines right into their window, or to please trim up the pine bordering their property because it pokes 'em in the eye when they mow the lawn. And we've fixed the situation right away. So there's hope.

- - -

Another vaguely related pet peeve: People who stop at a red light a full car-length behind the car in front of them. WHY. :psyduck: If I still had my zippy little Corolla, I swear to Christ I'd pull into that gap. Is this just a metro Detroit thing? So many poo poo drivers here, but this behavior seems pretty loving weird on top of the usual bad driving.

No, this is everywhere, and they creep up inch by inch on the car in front of them throughout the duration of the stoplight. I'm convinced they do it to give themselves something to do during a red light.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I think the answer is almost always that they're old, depth perception is hosed. Or alternatively they're a stupid loving idiot. Or both.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

He's talking about the person ahead of you needing to turn left an an intersection and being stuck after the light turns green because they didn't feel it necessary to signal their turn in advance and also won't go if they can see a car on the horizons.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Inspector 34 posted:

I think the answer is almost always that they're old, depth perception is hosed. Or alternatively they're a stupid loving idiot. Or both.
It's usually young people and soccer-mom types. I suspect they see the light is red, stop, think, "Okay, I'm stopped safely now,” and whip out their phones till the light turns green.

eta: One reason I've seen online had something to do with leaving space to escape a carjacking? And another about not hitting the car in front of you if you're rear-ended? JFC, I can't live my life worrying about that poo poo every time I drive anywhere.

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 02:48 on Jan 27, 2018

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
When discussing a specific thing, people who add more to it in service of their argument, when that addition is completely not part of whatever is being discussed. Bonus points if they don't accept that, no, that's not part of it.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Do you have a specific example?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Kinda, but it was more of a second-hand thing that just made me realize "oh yeah, thats annoying":

I was listening to an old random radio show that I had saved as a podcast, and a segment was about how the Chicago Blackhawks were getting really good (I think it was as they were going on to win the Cup), but that their TV ratings weren't actually that good. Pretty good for NHL, but nothing compared to the other major sports in the city. The point was that the lovely-rear end Bulls and Bears at the time were killing the Hawks in the ratings.

A caller called in, saying that you can't just look at things like ratings, you have to use things like jersey sales. Of course, the caller asserted, the Hawks were way more popular than those other sports with their tattooed thugs un-family-friendly players. Just factor in how well the jerseys are selling!

The host's response, in SA form, was this: ":wtc: sales of jerseys? :fuckoff:", proceeding to remind this caller that the discussion was about the Hawk's ratings being low, not about things like clothing sales.

I can't bring up anything specific that's happened to me at the moment, but I know I've been the "that's.. that's simply not part of this, gently caress off" guy with stuff.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 03:24 on Jan 27, 2018

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I’m trying to figure out if I’ve ever encountered something similar but, while I’m sure I have, I can’t think of a single instance.

At least I get what you’re talking about now.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
My coworker's been filling in a spreadsheet that normally only I fill in, and she keeps leaving the wrong tab open with some random cell highlighted, instead of leaving everything ready to just start typing the next bit of information when you open it like I do :argh:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Generally speaking, I don't mind being the guy who goes on food runs for friends or co-workers. But there are two things about it that wind up driving me up a wall, to varying degrees, because it seems like they don't understand that I just want to get their order right:

- Talking too fast as I'm writing your order down. I don't know shorthand and my handwriting is basically chickenscratch, so please don't rattle off your complete order in three seconds.
- Giving me an incomplete order. I'm not sperging out about do-you-want-X-or-Y for my health, I'm doing it because the last time the lady at the counter asked me if your order wanted X-or-Y, and I had to guess what you want.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"

Hirayuki posted:

I have been That Neighbor. A couple years back, when I was tired of the truck perpetually parked across the street from the same van (belonging to a different neighbor, or more precisely to his basement-dwelling dullard son), I called the Abandoned Vehicles Desk of the police department, the people responsible for this kind of violation per our township ordinances. Every week I'd call and leave a voicemail, until one day the dude picked up.

He said, "Look, we ran the plates, and it's registered to that address, so :shrug:." I argued that it didn't matter who owned the thing: it was illegally parked, period. He said people park on the street and go on vacations and stuff, and oh well. "What if you parked your car on the street and left for a week's vacation?" he asked. "I'd expect my car to have been towed when I got back, because it's illegal to park on the street for more than 48 hours." Motherfucker, those are the rules. Enforcing them is your job.

I didn't get anywhere else with him apart from an impressively Gallic combination of :geno: and :shrug:, and him insisting there was leeway and we should instead focus on being "neighborly". So I wrote a snail-mail letter to his boss, the chief of police. Within a week, the truck had that telltale neon sticker on the driver's side window; it was moved before it got towed.

But then here we are, two years later to the month, and both that truck and this van (along with two other vehicles that, while inconveniently parked, do at least move around a little bit) are still on this loving street, and why should I bother calling when I know poo poo ain't gonna get done?

I'm going to send my husband next door to talk about the van. They're otherwise fine neighbors, and they've come to us asking for us to please not use our side garage light because it shines right into their window, or to please trim up the pine bordering their property because it pokes 'em in the eye when they mow the lawn. And we've fixed the situation right away. So there's hope.

- - -

Another vaguely related pet peeve: People who stop at a red light a full car-length behind the car in front of them. WHY. :psyduck: If I still had my zippy little Corolla, I swear to Christ I'd pull into that gap. Is this just a metro Detroit thing? So many poo poo drivers here, but this behavior seems pretty loving weird on top of the usual bad driving.

Where I live some left turn lights have the actual sensor for the advance green 2-3 car lengths behind the line. If this is the case it makes sense, otherwise, :shrug:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Coolspaz posted:

Where I live some left turn lights have the actual sensor for the advance green 2-3 car lengths behind the line. If this is the case it makes sense, otherwise, :shrug:
These jerks are very rarely in the left turn lane. (Our sensors are positioned so that if you're pulled up into the intersection and waiting to turn, the sensors won't see you and the light won't turn green; you should stay at the stop line unless there's someone in the turn lane behind you to trigger the light.)

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
If I'm in the far left lane and will be the second car at the red light I will leave some room. Especially if the front car is right on the white line or past it. Double especially if there's a good chance a semi trailer is going to make a left into us and the guy in front is going to need to back up. I'll also keep a little back if I'm the front car because most people turning left from my right cannot maintain their lane for poo poo. When the light is nearly green I'll probably move up. No crazy gap, just a car length at the very most.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's aggressively stupid that the Microsoft team decided to add a menu to the loving ctrl-alt-del command.

That is literally the only keyboard command that my mom, aunts, and grandma know and it's the go to "ah, bad, restart" key that they know and love because they aren't the best interneters.

Why the gently caress would you add a menu to the panic button? Everyone who wants to lock the computer or switch users know how to do that without the loving ctrl-alt-del menu.

My old rear end relatives just want "turn off" and "stop the computer", and frankly, same

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 21:55 on Jan 28, 2018

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

One of the games I play on Steam reliably gets glitched graphics after playing for a few minutes. Ctrl-Alt-Del + Cancel fixes it. That's about the only thing I like about the extra step to the ol' three-fingered salute.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Elizabethan Error posted:

the light will eventually turn green and if you don't leave enough room to go around them when you stop then you can't teleport your car backwards in space and time in order to give yourself room to go around them later

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's aggressively stupid that the Microsoft team decided to add a menu to the loving ctrl-alt-del command.

That is literally the only keyboard command that my mom, aunts, and grandma know and it's the go to "ah, bad, restart" key that they know and love because they aren't the best interneters.

Why the gently caress would you add a menu to the panic button? Everyone who wants to lock the computer or switch users know how to do that without the loving ctrl-alt-del menu.

My old rear end relatives just want "turn off" and "stop the computer", and frankly, same

Press ctrl-shift-esc to open the task manager directly instead. Unless you're looking for it to just shut down the computer, in which case... go back to Windows 95 I guess?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ctrl Alt Delete still gives quick access to reboot, it's just in the bottom right now instead.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Ctrl Alt Delete still gives quick access to reboot, it's just in the bottom right now instead.
Nah, that was end process.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Olive! posted:

Press ctrl-shift-esc to open the task manager directly instead. Unless you're looking for it to just shut down the computer, in which case... go back to Windows 95 I guess?

Ok, explain this to people between 60 and 85?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Twitter has started sending me notifications when people I follow like a tweet. What the gently caress? It was bad enough that it started showing everyone your likes along with your retweets - essentially making retweets pointless - but why the gently caress would I want notifications about other people's likes? If someone sends me a message, mentions me by name or responds to something I posted, that's something I want to be notified of. If someone clicks the "like" button on some random tweet I can probably afford to miss that.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I hate the notifications when people i know follow someone else even more. Let me follow who I want to follow, I don't need help twitter i can find the funny people myself.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I hate when sellers on ebay leave me feedback before even sending the item. The transaction is finished at the point when I receive the item and indicate that all is well by leaving positive feedback. At that point, the seller can leave me feedback and we go our seperate ways.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

I hate when sellers on ebay leave me feedback before even sending the item. The transaction is finished at the point when I receive the item and indicate that all is well by leaving positive feedback. At that point, the seller can leave me feedback and we go our seperate ways.

I imagine they do it because as far as you as the buyer are concerned, your part/responsibility in the transaction is done. If you don't receive the item it's on them and should effect their rating, not yours. I guess hypothetically you could falsely claim you didn't receive it and become a bad buyer, but I'm assuming these people assume most people aren't like that and that as long as you paid promptly with a valid payment method and they didn't have to harass you for it, that's a 5 star transaction as far as they are concerned.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sellers aren't allowed to leave anything but positive feedback so there's not really anything to wait for for them.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Sellers aren't allowed to leave anything but positive feedback so there's not really anything to wait for for them.

Really? How is that feedback if theres only one option?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Aphrodite posted:

Huh, didn't know that. When did that come into force? I know I got negative feedback from a seller a few years ago.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

Huh, didn't know that. When did that come into force? I know I got negative feedback from a seller a few years ago.

Looks like somewhere around 2012.

The reasoning was that buyers were afraid to leave negative feedback because sellers can retaliate, or something.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Looks like somewhere around 2012.

The reasoning was that buyers were afraid to leave negative feedback because sellers can retaliate, or something.

Why even have feedback for buyers then?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

When people get mad at you for being "too laid back". I've been waiting a while for a reimbursement and yeah it's kind of annoying, but it's the government, if I check in on it i'll probably get the response email after they mail the check. They are slow as hell, I have the agreement that they will reimburse me, if they actually ghost me I can fight it and get it back but there's no sense in freaking out before it comes to that.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Non-single people telling me one or more of the following things:

-how great it is to be single because of all the freedom
-how I'll find someone just when I stop thinking about it
-how I'll find someone as long as I put myself out there
-how they'd totally set me up with their friend if he didn't live in a different state/wasn't a Trump supporter/hadn't just started dating someone, etc.
-how they didn't find their soulmate until they were [my age + 1 year]
-how guys are missing out on how great I am
-how they'd totally do me if they weren't attached to someone else

Just...either set me up with one of your normal local friends or leave me alone, please.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

YeahTubaMike posted:

Non-single people telling me one or more of the following things:

-how great it is to be single because of all the freedom
-how I'll find someone just when I stop thinking about it
-how I'll find someone as long as I put myself out there
-how they'd totally set me up with their friend if he didn't live in a different state/wasn't a Trump supporter/hadn't just started dating someone, etc.
-how they didn't find their soulmate until they were [my age + 1 year]
-how guys are missing out on how great I am
-how they'd totally do me if they weren't attached to someone else

Just...either set me up with one of your normal local friends or leave me alone, please.

I've been fighting depression for a good long while partially related to this (not to get all E/N because... well you can read my thread that's hopefully collapsed into archives by now), and I agree with this 100%. I'm not even asking for help or anything, just some level of sympathy or understanding instead of just-so stories that undercut what I'm going through.

What makes this even worse is that two days ago, "Bell Let's Talk" trends in Canada, which is bullshit corporate telecom advertising masquerading as charity/awareness about mental health, and the same people that give me bullshit "advice" change their Facebook pictures for one day and do gently caress-all the other 364 days out of the year.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Life is an empty void so just know that nobody else is really happy either. That gives me comfort and solidarity.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Phone peeve: when people ask "one more thing" six or seven times in a row.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Whiz Palace posted:

Phone peeve: when people ask "one more thing" six or seven times in a row.

If you stop killing people, Columbo will stop investigating you.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

mojo1701a posted:

I've been fighting depression for a good long while partially related to this (not to get all E/N because... well you can read my thread that's hopefully collapsed into archives by now), and I agree with this 100%. I'm not even asking for help or anything, just some level of sympathy or understanding instead of just-so stories that undercut what I'm going through.

What makes this even worse is that two days ago, "Bell Let's Talk" trends in Canada, which is bullshit corporate telecom advertising masquerading as charity/awareness about mental health, and the same people that give me bullshit "advice" change their Facebook pictures for one day and do gently caress-all the other 364 days out of the year.

Yeah agreed on all counts.

And extend that to those self-congratulatory facebook memes that are like "hey I'm sharing this bc if you feel depressed... PEOPLE LOVE YOU. THINGS WILL BE OK. YOU WILL GET BETTER. GET UP AND MAKE A SANDWICH"

Honestly those things and the people that share them are negative support for mental illness, as far as I'm concerned.

Talk to your friend who has problems? Naw, just share.

I have been EMC'd and psych-held for a suicide attempt, once, and vividly remember seeing a post like that from someone I used to be close with shortly before. That poo poo isn't just unhelpful, it's hurtful. Generic, nonspecific bullshit targeted for "you sadbrains" is just so aggressively hurtful. Every single person is different and you'd do 1000x as much good by hitting up one struggling friend and being gentle and listening. Sharing shotgun anti-depression posts is just... gently caress if I know, stupid. It's decreeing to the world that you'd rather feel good than help someone else, and it demonstrates an extremely wrong view of depression.

One message saying "Hey Edgar Ho, I love you. Are you ok? Please know you can talk to me about anything" is worth about 10 million "sadbrains folks, let this meme remind you that people like you" shares

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 17:18 on Feb 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah agreed on all counts.

And extend that to those self-congratulatory facebook memes that are like "hey I'm sharing this bc if you feel depressed... PEOPLE LOVE YOU. THINGS WILL BE OK. YOU WILL GET BETTER. GET UP AND MAKE A SANDWICH"

Honestly those things and the people that share them are negative support for mental illness, as far as I'm concerned.

Talk to your friend who has problems? Naw, just share.

I have been EMC'd and psych-held for a suicide attempt, once, and vividly remember seeing a post like that from someone I used to be close with shortly before. That poo poo isn't just unhelpful, it's hurtful. Generic, nonspecific bullshit targeted for "you sadbrains" is just so aggressively hurtful. Every single person is different and you'd do 1000x as much good by hitting up one struggling friend and being gentle and listening. Sharing shotgun anti-depression posts is just... gently caress if I know, stupid. It's decreeing to the world that you'd rather feel good than help someone else, and it demonstrates an extremely wrong view of depression.

One message saying "Hey Edgar Ho, I love you. Are you ok? Please know you can talk to me about anything" is worth about 10 million "sadbrains folks, let this meme remind you that people like you" shares

I had a friend who stopped talking to me (without warning) after I had a depressive episode two years ago without even giving me any warning. I blamed myself at first, but realized that a decent friend would've at least given me some warning. Instead, she just dropped me and told me only after I texted her if she'd gotten rid of Facebook or something.

I'm taking meds, and working on my situation, but once in a while, I just want to vent. That's it. Which is why all of those self-congratulatory posts and "likes" are insulting because you keep claiming "let's talk" without the corollary of "let's listen". I realize the average person may not be equipped to do something, but don't share this bullshit and claim something about a "dialogue" if you're not willing to even listen.

Sunswipe posted:

If you stop killing people, Columbo will stop investigating you.

:bravo: Very nice.