Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Hyedum posted:

Put the Autumn Katana in it. I don't actually think it'll add to the aesthetic, I just want more chances at clarity on my mummies.

Shh, shh. No need to extemporize. You had me at Autumn Katana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Hyedum posted:

Put the Autumn Katana in it. I don't actually think it'll add to the aesthetic, I just want more chances at clarity on my mummies.
I understand that this fork won't worship balance the way Stone Soup does, but maybe putting the Autumn Katana on D:3 is going a little too far in the opposite direction?

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Elephant Parade posted:

I understand that this fork won't worship balance the way Stone Soup does, but maybe putting the Autumn Katana on D:3 is going a little too far in the opposite direction?

Not if we also give it malmutate upon taking damage! It's actually where the mutagen ooze came from. :ssh:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Sword in Mutagenic Cloud, if you will.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Lets see. We'd need a bunch of pizza, one quarterstaff, two daggers* (sais), a scimitar or longsword (katana), and either a dire flail with a special sprite or four clubs. Probably some good potions, too, for the casters.

Defended by one rat & I guess 4 iguanas behind doors (until you have a lesser turtle coded). Could also say that 'Foot Clan Ninjas' (or robots) have taken over the hideout and set up the encounter that way, with a friendly Rat & Turtles on the other side of grates and some other enemies in the central area to defeat.

The supercomputer or the subway car depends on how many versions you want to make.

*or 5% chance for quickblades

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Speleothing posted:

with a friendly Rat & Turtles on the other side of grates and some other enemies in the central area to defeat
I like this one.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I didn't have time to actually work on a vault today but I looked up how the weaker siren works and it's completely trivial to do weaker turtles. Again I don't know anything about Ninja Turtles so I'm open to suggestions about the layout and contents of the sewers but I'll see if I can't actually make it tomorrow.

SteelNeuron
Feb 23, 2017
Speaking of programmer art, if you guys have any use for my lovely WJC weaponry tiles, such as to repurpose any of them into an unrand, I can crop them for you :) (They got rejected a while ago because they didn't appreciate me bundling like 12 unrandarts with my god).

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I've always wanted to dip my toes into expanding the artifact/item tile pool.

Is there a rough requirement list/guide to how it is supposed to be done?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Speleothing posted:

Could also say that 'Foot Clan Ninjas' (or robots) have taken over the hideout and set up the encounter that way, with a friendly Rat & Turtles on the other side of grates and some other enemies in the central area to defeat.

restore brain worms, make a brain worm/ogre team one possible set of invaders

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

SteelNeuron posted:

Speaking of programmer art, if you guys have any use for my lovely WJC weaponry tiles, such as to repurpose any of them into an unrand, I can crop them for you :) (They got rejected a while ago because they didn't appreciate me bundling like 12 unrandarts with my god).

those look pretty sweet tho

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
How do you go about testing a temporary branch vault? Normal vaults you can just give absurd weights but I don't even see weights for sewer vaults

Here's the vault in case somebody decides it's easier to just test it themselves instead of teaching me how to do it. No guarantee it even functions, much less is interesting or fun.

e: fixed a typo that made crawl CTD

code:
############################################################################
# Ninja turtles. By Cheetah7071
# Mostly generic sewer, but with some jokey enemies and items at the end.
#
NAME:    sewer_c7071_ninja_turtles
TAGS:    no_item_gen no_monster_gen no_pool_fixup
ORIENT:  encompass
#	filler monsters
MONS:   kobold / big kobold / adder / ball python / worm
#	TMNT monsters
MONS:	rat hd:2
MONS:	snapping_turtle name:juvenile name_adjective hd:2
#	filler loot
ITEM:   potion of flight / potion of agility / potion of heal wounds / \
        potion of invisibility / potion of degeneration / \
        scroll of blinking / scroll of teleportation / scroll of fear / \
        scroll of random uselessness / ration / potion of blood / \
        nothing w:55
#	TMNT loot
ITEM:	quarterstaff / dagger / longsword / dire flail / potion of mutation w:20 / pizza w:40 / nothing w:200
KFEAT:	r = . w:50 / W
KFEAT:	q = x w:40 / W / .

MAP
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
x{rrrrqqxqqqqxqqqqqqqxqqqqqqqx
xxxxxrxxxrr1rxqqqqqqqxqdqqdqqx
xqqqqrqqxrqqrxqdrrr1rxqrqqrqqx
xqdqqrqqxrqqrxqqqqqqrxqrqq1qqx
xqrqqr1qxrqqrxqqqqqqr1rr1rrqqx
xq1qqqrqxrqqrr1rr1rrrxqqqqqqqx
xqrqqqrrxrqqrxqqqqqqqxqqqqqqqx
xqrqqqqr1rqqrxqqqqqqqxqqqqqqqx
xqrqqqqqxrqqrxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xq1qqqqqxrqqqxrrr1rrqxeeeeeeex
xqrrrrrrrrqqqxrqqqqrqxee3e3eex
xqqq1qqqxrqqqxrqqqqrqxeee2eeex
xqqqrqqqxrrr1rrqqqqrr+ee3e3eex
xqqqrqqqxqqqqxrqqqqqqxeeeeeeex
xqqqdqqqxqqqqxdqqqqqqxeeeeee<x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ENDMAP

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 26, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

e: fixed a typo that made crawl CTD
Did somebody leave the Wand of CTD on?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

How do you go about testing a temporary branch vault? Normal vaults you can just give absurd weights but I don't even see weights for sewer vaults

Here's the vault in case somebody decides it's easier to just test it themselves instead of teaching me how to do it. No guarantee it even functions, much less is interesting or fun.

Throw WEIGHT: 5000 on the line under name, which should guarantee that it gets picked when being randomly chosen. Otherwise, you can also force spawn it using wizard mode, but that can be buggy. I can just test it quickly myself, however.

One thing I spotted at first glance while waiting for my latest version to build: 'pizza' needs to be replaced with 'ration tile:food_pizza'.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Okay that version of the vault is way way way way too hard

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Okay that version of the vault is way way way way too hard

Yeah, there doesn't appear to be a way to alter physical attacks through vault information either. Guess snapping turtles are just a bit too much to throw into sewers.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the friendly turtles being attacked by TMNT-ish-themed monsters seems better anyway

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I could probably make them depth-appropriate monsters like orcs, and then give them turtle tiles...I think. This would have the benefit of making the turtles wield weapons.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I could probably make them depth-appropriate monsters like orcs, and then give them turtle tiles...I think. This would have the benefit of making the turtles wield weapons.

This is bad to do because it can lead players who aren't familiar with the vault to associate the tile/monster name with something different than the actual monster.

It might be better to ditch the sewer portal vault approach and put the vault somewhere else at a depth appropriate to snapping turtles.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jazerus posted:

the friendly turtles being attacked by TMNT-ish-themed monsters seems better anyway

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Well, here's a much lower-scope variant that's just a room full of pizza, mut potions, and ninja-y weapons alongside a rat and four turtles. In wizmode I discovered that four snapping turtles simultaneously is kinda tough even for a maxed-out character but on the other hand you can just back off and use normal luring tactics. It's not like Shoals and late dungeon can't get multiple dangerous enemies with reach at the same time just through normal monster generation, and a few almost-guaranteed mut potions seems like a reasonable reward to me.

code:
NAME:	c7071_tmnt
TAGS:	no_item_gen no_monster_gen
DEPTH:	D:13-, Shoals
MONS:	rat
MONS:	snapping turtle name:juvenile name_adjective
ITEM:	quarterstaff / dagger / longsword / dire flail / potion of mutation w:60 / ration tile:food_pizza w:120 / nothing w:450
MAP
xxxxxxx
xdddddx
xd2d2dx
+dd1ddx
xd2d2dx
xdddddx
xxxxxxx
ENDMAP
If someone else wants to make the full-on sewer where you help out friendly turtles go ahead but I don't think I'll be making that.

I did like the layout that my randomish-terrain produced in that sewer so I might turn it into a more plausible difficulty and submit it to normal crawl

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Well, here's a much lower-scope variant that's just a room full of pizza, mut potions, and ninja-y weapons alongside a rat and four turtles. In wizmode I discovered that four snapping turtles simultaneously is kinda tough even for a maxed-out character but on the other hand you can just back off and use normal luring tactics. It's not like Shoals and late dungeon can't get multiple dangerous enemies with reach at the same time just through normal monster generation, and a few almost-guaranteed mut potions seems like a reasonable reward to me.

Committed!

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

I've always wanted to dip my toes into expanding the artifact/item tile pool.

Is there a rough requirement list/guide to how it is supposed to be done?

When I sit down to think about how I would write a style guide for item tiles, I realize there's lots of exceptions and special cases. Normally,

1) Mundane items are brown/grey

2) Ego items are red/blue

3) Randarts should have three bright colors, preferably neon. Avoid reds/blues unless it looks good, and if you use reds/blues then differentiate the silhouette more

That mostly only applies to weapon tiles. I will redo all armour tiles someday, but I can't say if I'll keep the same color scheme. There is no official vetting system for tiles.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I suspect I'm the only guy bothered by this, but a lot of the tile revamps over the past few years seem to be mere side-grades for me. Creatures are the same, but different, and they don't really 'read' any different to me. Some examples would be Elf and Orc tile changes. There are also a lot of good changes, like flayed ghosts (popcorn monster who was given an insane ability, so the tile was revamped with skulls to match his new scariness) which I appreciate, but I wonder why others are being touched, maybe just for the sake of it?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Flayed Ghosts are hard to see against the background of Crypt. Old sprite was better

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Serephina posted:

I suspect I'm the only guy bothered by this, but a lot of the tile revamps over the past few years seem to be mere side-grades for me. Creatures are the same, but different, and they don't really 'read' any different to me. Some examples would be Elf and Orc tile changes. There are also a lot of good changes, like flayed ghosts (popcorn monster who was given an insane ability, so the tile was revamped with skulls to match his new scariness) which I appreciate, but I wonder why others are being touched, maybe just for the sake of it?

I haven't kept up too much but the Elf/Orc changes are objectively good. A whole lot of the old tiles lacked unity and fidelity and the new tiles are a significant improvement on that. I'd go into far more detail if I wasn't drunk on a Saturday morning.

I also think that the few creatures we've had that've totally revamped their look -- soul eaters and tzitzimimeh come to mind -- are an improvement, but I concede there's much more room for personal taste on that front.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The new tile for shadow fiends is cool but they should of stayed shadow fiends. I never remember how to spell tiztizitizfsdjmec

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Messages have been sent out to various server admins (awaiting responses) and I've been struggling to get zips/installers built for the code, but you can download and self-build v1.0 of Gooncrawl from here:
https://github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/tree/gooncrawl_stable
The install instructions that are used for normal DCSS should all still be valid. If you would prefer to wait for more convenience, I should figure out how to get the zips/installers built sometime this weekend, and server admins should respond eventually with a positive or negative for WebTiles.

Additionally, here's the changelog; anything that was on the design document that isn't in the changelog will be automatically carried over to v1.1/v2.0's design doc, as I felt it would take too long to delay getting a baseline out to get those items in:
https://github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/blob/gooncrawl_stable/crawl-ref/docs/gooncrawl/changelog.txt

Edit-
Zips for Windows compilations of Console and Tiles are complete, and can be downloaded here (named Gooncrawl):
https://github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/releases
Installer is still busted, but this is probably better than setting up Git for many people. If you have a different OS and the ability to compile/package, please toss up a link for people!

e2- Forgot to mention that the above is 64-bit; does anyone actually need a 32-bit compilation?

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 28, 2018

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

The new tile for shadow fiends is cool but they should of stayed shadow fiends. I never remember how to spell tiztizitizfsdjmec

It's not that hard to remember, you just have to remember it as smaller words and combine them. Tizimitl poo poo, I completely miss-remembered how they are spelled, that first half is way more complicated. Tzitzimitl. Well I got the second half right, so at least that much works with my method, I just didn't learn the first half right the first time. So double "tzi" then "mit" then just an L. If you want to pronounce that I imagine the T is silent and it's likely zeetseemeet or zeetseemeetle.

At least Kikubaqudga and Yredelemnul are easier to remember. Well crap, I was debating about Kikubaaqudgha having a double a, and I could have swore I remembered the h when I was typing. Got Yredelemnul right, that felt good. Kiku's got five syllables but four chunks, so kiku baa qud gha. Yred's three chunks, Yred, ele, mnul, but you could stick the m to the second chunk if that's easier.

This has been me sort of embarrassing myself.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Changelog posted:

-Reimplemented Sludge Elves
Wait, did anyone ever actually play sludge elves? Between their lack of a niche and them not really existing as enemies, I was okay with their removal. Maybe they should be added to the sewer and/or given some kind of gimmick?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Elephant Parade posted:

Wait, did anyone ever actually play sludge elves? Between their lack of a niche and them not really existing as enemies, I was okay with their removal. Maybe they should be added to the sewer and/or given some kind of gimmick?

They were voted in without changes by the thread, that's why they are in as is. Feel free to propose something if you think it needs changing and I can add it to the FR list for the next survey.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Elephant Parade posted:

I did!

Floodkiller, you're doing Zin's work.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Elephant Parade posted:

something doesn't have to have a totally unique identity to be worth having in the game

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast
They were quite fun with evaporation.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
Really I just play octopodes now and don't miss sludge elves but I can understand that some people want bullshit like armor slots.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

The ideology eater posted:

Really I just play octopodes now and don't miss sludge elves but I can understand that some people want bullshit like armor slots.

Why play octopodes when you can play as a BAT forever by smashing a vampire warrior against kobolds till your level 3. Good luck finding a good amulet cus its the only thing you can use !!!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Request for gooncrawl: 1000 gold 1 ration gozag no skills 'Merchant' start.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

That said, i wish BATS could cast spells, that would really open up the game for them to truly rule

Uskuyaw bat can murder a surprising number of things tho

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

jon joe posted:

Request for gooncrawl: 1000 gold 1 ration gozag no skills 'Merchant' start.

That's some Nethack tourist poo poo, i approve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, that's just excessive.

...make it three rations.

• Locked thread