Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Ferrinus posted:

Holdo's ship was way larger in proportion to Snoke's ship than an x-wing is to a star destroyer.

How strange that these comparably powerful ships might, upon getting close enough to penetrate each other's shields, use non-suicidal means of attack.

Since you've apparently completely lost the thread of the argument, the point is that the rebel ship was extremely unlikely to get destroyed by the flagships guns while it was lining up a jump, since this is completely unsupported by every star wars movie ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Since you've apparently completely lost the thread of the argument, the point is that the rebel ship was extremely unlikely to get destroyed by the flagships guns while it was lining up a jump, since this is completely unsupported by every star wars movie ever.

We see a Rebel ship fall even slightly behind Holdo's ship and get torn apart in seconds in this very movie. This makes sense because it's a fair bit smaller than Snoke's ship and the attendant destroyers. It's clearly established that getting too close means swift death.

In your pictures, the ships are of basically similar size and firepower and so can't easily and immediately overpower each other's shields.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hodgepodge posted:

Ah, I see; I must have mistaken your saying that if my argument were true then the Force would be destroyed for an argument that this would be necessary and desirable resolution.

No. The death of God is not the death of the internet/bionet.

Again, I have repeatedly stressed the distinction between God and Eywa, the nature spirit. That is a distinction that you pave over with the assertion that the imagery of Eywa the nature spirit is ‘applicable’ to God. You are repeating an error after having it pointed out to you.

The confusion arises when you deploy ‘metaphor’ to selectively ignore elements of the text. For example: when Luke declares his unambiguous support for a neofeudalist political faction and declares war, you’ve decided that the neofeudalism is a metaphor for egalitarianism and war is a metaphor for peace. This allows you to ignore that the rebels are not in any way egalitarian - and that this is a very direct reference to the end of Episode 2:

“Every word of what you just said was wrong. The Rebellion is reborn today. The war is just beginning.“

“Victory, you say? Master Obi-Wan, not victory. The shroud of the Dark Side has fallen. Begun, the Clone War has.”

Likewise, when Kylo and Rey do a Skype call, you declare this a metaphor for how faith in God brings people together - but consciously ignore the imagery of long-distance audiovisual communication, the obvious sexual element, etc.

People who lose faith in Luke do not see their powers degrade or disappear. Also: multiple characters with intense faith in Luke display no psychic abilities whatsoever.

CountFosco posted:

The more orthodox reading is that it was both triumph and tragedy at once.

Why would I want to be orthodox, then?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 27, 2018

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
"Every word of what you just said" is such a weird construction.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

tekz posted:

Incorrect, it was the only meaningful part of the movie.

If you posit the unique message of that part is "this is just an endless cycle" and it is the only meaningful part of the movie, then I would like to introduce to you a movie that extols a similar message: The Last Jedi

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Just realized Holdo is like 90% of the way to being Borsk Fey'lya

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

porfiria posted:

I don’t know where you get your delusions, laser brain...

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Ingmar terdman posted:

SMG is what Maz Kanata's character should have been

Dead after the first movie?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

porfiria posted:

Nothing beats "Your Highness, this is a battle I do not think that we can win." for spoken clunkiness.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Ingmar terdman posted:

SMG is what Maz Kanata's character should have been

You can come close to the experience in PoE with another Avellone character, Durance. He's a better communicator and demonstrates the ability to conclude that he was incorrect when presented with sufficient evidence, though.

You also come away understanding why Avellone and Obsidian no longer work together.

I'm not sure why you present this point as a reaction to what I've said again here. You just did that in response to completely failing to understand a reference I made as well. It's clear you want to elaborate on this particular preoccupation, all that trying to connect them to another conversation does is create confusion.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 27, 2018

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm not sure why you present this point as a reaction to what I've said again here.

When asked to clarify why you consider me objectivist, you wrote that I seek to destroy "a form of human interconnection" - referring to both the "power granted to slaves" in the movie and to the Holy Spirit.

That happened because you mixed up my statement that the God of beyond died on the cross (and must stay dead) with the concept of the Holy Spirit. Because of this mix-up, you mistakenly concluded that I wanted the Holy Spirit to die. You then mixed up the concept of the Holy Spirit, which is 'merely' proletarian solidarity, with literal superpowers - claiming that the literal superpowers in the film are a metaphor for solidarity.

That was another mistake. Neither Luke nor the slave character demonstrate anything resembling proletarian solidarity. Luke and the slave both demonstrate their support of the Jedi Knights and of the Old Republic. They are ideologically neofeudalist. That means your metaphor doesn't work.

These mistakes keep happening because you are not being careful.

Luke does not die for the droids or the stromtroopers, whereas the true Christ cuts across the multitude of worlds - suffering in solidarity with all the meek. That means not only the human slaves on the good-guy team.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 27, 2018

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Hachi machi this thread

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol i forgot how dumb the skype call to maz was. just had to throw her in i guess.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

maz is real dumb cause she's like 'there's only one super hacker who can hack the first orders poo poo in one place' but actually it seems like they're everwhere. if finn/rose had been in a different cell or on a different planet, would they have still met a hacker who could hack the first orders poo poo? my guess is yes. first order needs to get their cybersecurity in order and maz needs to get a freakin clue!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The failure to read Luke’s sacrifice for the Rebellion is directly tied to the failure to read Holdo’s sacrifice.

People have somehow spent like 300 pages writing about relativistic speeds and light-speed meteors without noticing that Holdo’s attack does not cause anything resembling a meteor strike / nuclear explosion.

Holdo’s attack is very clearly depicted as a slice into the big ship. Her ship then splits apart into smaller fragments to create a shotgun-spread of glowing lines - producing what looks like a msssive, glowing white arm.

That is a direct reference to the massive, glowing red arm that blew up the New Republic in the previous film. Holdo’s attack is an act of revenge - the last gasp of the liberal New Republic. It is not a Tsar Bomba. It is not very powerful in purely tactical terms.

The point is that Holdo produces an act of spectacular violence that shows Poe ‘the error of his ways’, curing him of his sexism and class envy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm glad you finally saw the movie .

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

euphronius posted:

It is possible that I have seen the film upwards of 1000 times.

But then, it is also possible that I haven’t seen it at all.

You will never know for certain.

What matters is that what I have written is both true and accurate, where people who have definitely paid tickets to the film and sat in chairs in front of a large screen somehow hallucinated a massive spherical ball of fire. And then started talking about nukes, and why nukes aren’t deployed more often.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

euphronius posted:

lol

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Neo Rasa posted:

Nothing beats "Your Highness, this is a battle I do not think that we can win." for spoken clunkiness.

"Around the survivors a perimeter create." What's worse is people forget Sam Jackson had to deliver that.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

When asked to clarify why you consider me objectivist, you wrote that I seek to destroy "a form of human interconnection" - referring to both the "power granted to slaves" in the movie and to the Holy Spirit.

That happened because you mixed up my statement that the God of beyond died on the cross (and must stay dead) with the concept of the Holy Spirit. Because of this mix-up, you mistakenly concluded that I wanted the Holy Spirit to die. You then mixed up the concept of the Holy Spirit, which is 'merely' proletarian solidarity, with literal superpowers - claiming that the literal superpowers in the film are a metaphor for solidarity.

That was another mistake. Neither Luke nor the slave character demonstrate anything resembling proletarian solidarity. Luke and the slave both demonstrate their support of the Jedi Knights and of the Old Republic. They are ideologically neofeudalist. That means your metaphor doesn't work.

These mistakes keep happening because you are not being careful.

Luke does not die for the droids or the stromtroopers, whereas the true Christ cuts across the multitude of worlds - suffering in solidarity with all the meek. That means not only the human slaves on the good-guy team.

God is the Holy Spirit you loving heretic.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol i forgot how dumb the skype call to maz was. just had to throw her in i guess.

While we're reading wacky politics into the film, I note that she was by all appearances in the middle of violently suppressing a union action.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

God is the Holy Spirit

Correct. The God of beyond, and His human incarnation, are dead. God persists as the Holy Spirit.

Captain von Trapp posted:

While we're reading wacky politics into the film, I note that she was by all appearances in the middle of violently suppressing a union action.

Well yeah, that's the point. Maz is also huge Luke fan so, by that guy's logic, she will be rewarded with superpowers and help to enforce a powerful theocratic kingdom of Light where uprisings by the unruly peasants are swiftly crushed.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 27, 2018

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Hodgepodge posted:

You can come close to the experience in PoE with another Avellone character, Durance. He's a better communicator and demonstrates the ability to conclude that he was incorrect when presented with sufficient evidence, though.

You also come away understanding why Avellone and Obsidian no longer work together.

what the heck is this poo poo. i'm revoking your video games licence

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lt. Danger posted:

what the heck is this poo poo. i'm revoking your video games licence

Off the drat deep end.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Correct. The God of beyond, and His human incarnation, are dead. God persists as the Holy Spirit.

These are all the same thing. This is Sunday School poo poo find a new priest your guy sucks.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

porfiria posted:

"Around the survivors a perimeter create." What's worse is people forget Sam Jackson had to deliver that.

???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b67LI_zj98

Captain von Trapp posted:

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Okay, bad joke. No really, I made a bad joke. Go home...

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wish the blu ray would hurry up and come out so I can watch this at home.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Has anyone mentioned how sadistic death-horny Hux is in TLJ? He's really turned on when getting ready to kill battleships and captives. In the case of the former he's really turned on while staring down the hologram of Leia's phallic flagship

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
So I just discovered that this guy
https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/images/ep8-170408_c9096720.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1280%2C720&width=768

played the Red Baron in Blackadder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP1vSIOmCc4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMx0RH_YXgU

I love this but have no idea what to do of this information. So there you go.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
It’s so craven that you don’t ever see a single Ewok. God, R2 and Chewbacca will be flying the Falcon to a last minute rescue in Episode LXVII but we don’t see a single Ewok anywhere even though they’re the only reason the Emperor was defeated. Even the assholes Christing up this thread don’t mention them.

Wicket should have been the one to order the Hyperspace ram.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

TildeATH posted:

It’s so craven that you don’t ever see a single Ewok.

Princess Leia doesn't care about Ewok people. That's also why the Gungans disappear from the series.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'm still confused about all the thinkpieces that say it's extremely good that Rey -- a character with no background, unimaginable Force power and implied to be a cosmic balancing act to Snoke and/or Ren -- isn't a chosen one like the rest of the Star Wars protagonists.

To me, that seems to be more of a chosen one than 'farmboy who learns his dad was a hero'.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I used to not like TLJ but after thinking about it I finally get it. I love it now because I hate it. You see RJ didn’t make TLJ to be liked. The middle movie in a trilogy is about the main characters being at their lowest and RJ transcends that experience to the audience by making them endure the worst SW movie. It’s poetic and if you enjoyed TLJ then you’re not watching it right. It’s like Empire to the next level.

RJ is trolling the fans not because he hates them but because he loves them.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 27, 2018

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Shaocaholica posted:

I used to not like TLJ but after thinking about it I finally get it. I love it now because I hate it. You see RJ didn’t make TLJ to be liked. The middle movie in a trilogy is about the main characters being at their lowest and RJ transcends that experience to the audience by making them endure the worst SW movie. It’s poetic and if you enjoyed TLJ then you’re not watching it right. It’s like Empire to the next level.

RJ is trolling the fans not because he hates them but because he loves them.

Frank Herbert basically says this about the middle books of trilogies in the intro to Dune Messiah, since their job is to deconstruct the narrative of the first book. He also emphasized this aspect and expected many readers to hate the result. Who was more successful in this regard I couldn't say.

You can certainly enjoy them, though, but in this theory you aren't supposed to in the same way you enjoy the first part of the story.

e: this also, incidentally, applies to the entire PT.

Milky Moor posted:

I'm still confused about all the thinkpieces that say it's extremely good that Rey -- a character with no background, unimaginable Force power and implied to be a cosmic balancing act to Snoke and/or Ren -- isn't a chosen one like the rest of the Star Wars protagonists.

To me, that seems to be more of a chosen one than 'farmboy who learns his dad was a hero'.

I'm not sure about "extremely good," more "necessary if the story isn't going to be about a hereditary religious nobility." Much like her being a woman, it's a matter of simple appropriateness being paraded as a massive triumph simply because it wasn't wrong.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 28, 2018

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm not sure about "extremely good," more "necessary if the story isn't going to be about a hereditary religious nobility." Much like her being a woman, it's a matter of simple appropriateness being paraded as a massive triumph simply because it wasn't wrong.

Unfortunately, Peter Thiel and Hitler also had humble beginnings...

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

Because she's a character with no background, not the heir to a royal bloodline.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Again, it’s important to be careful.

You sound like a god drat lunatic when you say this

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

It is possible that I have seen the film upwards of 1000 times.

But then, it is also possible that I haven’t seen it at all.

You will never know for certain.

Someone delivered a button to my house. The instructions say if I push the button, I will receive a phone call informing me if SMG watched the movie, followed by a visitor who will find and kill me.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Space Fish posted:

Someone delivered a button to my house. The instructions say if I push the button, I will receive a phone call informing me if SMG watched the movie, followed by a visitor who will find and kill me.

Elsewhere, the security state mobilizes at long last for its true destined purpose...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Tender Bender posted:

Because she's a character with no background, not the heir to a royal bloodline.

Was Anakin the heir to a royal bloodline?

Unsurprisingly, you do not understand what a chosen one actually is. Instead, you regurgitate the memes of Hideo Kojima.

• Locked thread