Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Cojawfee posted:

Let's just not do the whole death thing. Every year, we get a bunch of GBS dipshits coming in to poo poo up the thread because of it.

I thought thats why were were just stealth rolling the same thread forward instead of advertising a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

I think the real secret to avoiding GBS is to not post the new thread in GBS, but what do I know.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Can't wait for news on the Polish K2 winter attempt, they should have started establishing a route today based on an old Alan Arnette blog post.

Reposting the NYT article from earlier in the thread about their attempt.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I've been wondering what their planned route was but looks like Cesan and maybe Abruzzi. Well good luck don't die

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Hexyflexy posted:

7 - I'm getting my bid in early this year.

Put me down for 0 again.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Bill Burr is right (also an amateur helicopter pilot)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSAzX209knE

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

nsaP posted:

It takes a special man to be so obnoxious to make me scramble for the stop button less than one minute into the video.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

AceRimmer posted:

Can't wait for news on the Polish K2 winter attempt, they should have started establishing a route today based on an old Alan Arnette blog post.

Reposting the NYT article from earlier in the thread about their attempt.

Well, this turned out to be a royal gently caress up thanks to the biggest dumbass this side of the death zone.

The K2 expedition is as of now mounting a rescue operation for another Polish climber with a hardon for winter Nanga Parbat attempts (this was his seventh one). This guy, Tomasz Mackiewicz is a total amateur who got literally addicted to the idea of winter Nanga ascent after getting off heroin some years ago. The last attempt was in 2016 when he had to resign somewhere around 8000m. News soon came that another team were first to climb the mountain that season. Mackiewicz said that he doesn’t believe them and the photos from the top were photoshopped.
So now he is somewhere above 7600m with hurricane winds smacking him around, altitude sickness and snow blindness to boot. The K2 expedition pledged to rescue him and his unlucky companion and they are suspending their attempt to fly to them.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

nsaP posted:

Nothing makes me label someone more instantly than finding out if they agree with Bill butt.

Bet you have strongly felt yet poorly formed opinions about movies and feminists.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Pierogi posted:

Well, this turned out to be a royal gently caress up thanks to the biggest dumbass this side of the death zone.

The K2 expedition is as of now mounting a rescue operation for another Polish climber with a hardon for winter Nanga Parbat attempts (this was his seventh one). This guy, Tomasz Mackiewicz is a total amateur who got literally addicted to the idea of winter Nanga ascent after getting off heroin some years ago. The last attempt was in 2016 when he had to resign somewhere around 8000m. News soon came that another team were first to climb the mountain that season. Mackiewicz said that he doesn’t believe them and the photos from the top were photoshopped.
So now he is somewhere above 7600m with hurricane winds smacking him around, altitude sickness and snow blindness to boot. The K2 expedition pledged to rescue him and his unlucky companion and they are suspending their attempt to fly to them.

Alan Arnette has more details http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2018/01/26/disaster-developing-on-nanga-part-k2-team-to-launch-rescue/

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Pierogi posted:

the guy is gonna end up spending 48hrs~ abandoned at around 7200m (camp 4) before the rescue team can even reach him. well IF they can reach him. weather report for K2 has bad weather for today and they're not sure if the team can even leave. not holding out much hope for this guy, but hopefully they can get his partner, who left for camp 3 earlier.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Wasabi the J posted:

Nothing makes me label someone more instantly than finding out if they agree with Bill butt.

Bet you have strongly felt yet poorly formed opinions about movies and feminists.

Wow that's a pretty dramatic reaction to a dude's podcast but okay.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Pierogi posted:

Welp that moron probably saved all of their lives, so, there's that.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Why K2 in winter? :psyduck:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ewe2 posted:

Why K2 in winter? :psyduck:

Because it's there

in the winter

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Morbus posted:

Welp that moron probably saved all of their lives, so, there's that.

You are assuming they're not going back to K2 after this.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Nanga is angry and will likely treat the stranded duo and the rescue operation to 90kph winds and -68C temp in the next 10 hours. So it looks like 6 possible deaths because of 1 idiot with a deathwish.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

they're all idiots with deathwishes, just some of them have more coherent powers of rationalization

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I mean I get pretty reckless sometimes and have had some bad experiences but at least I'm nowhere near that level and have zero desire to put myself through anything like that.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Fair point

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Climbing K2 requires a permit, whether you're coming from the Pakistan side or the Chinese side. So why did they get permits to climb in these conditions? Or is it like pay once and use it whenever?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Doctor Malaver posted:

Climbing K2 requires a permit, whether you're coming from the Pakistan side or the Chinese side. So why did they get permits to climb in these conditions? Or is it like pay once and use it whenever?

So it’s the government’s job to decide who’s safe and who isn’t? That’s completely contradictory to the spirit of climbing. These guys are as qualified as just about anyone ever will be to climb K2 in winter, they deserved the chance.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Elisabeth Revol made it down with the K2 team after K2 team choppered over yesterday. They've aborted the attempt to rescue the Polish climber Tomek Mackiewicz. Nanga scores additional points for this because the K2 climbers aborted their historic winter attempt.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Oops, someone is angry that Murder God didn't get enough today!!

https://twitter.com/vobonline/status/957421022701080576
https://twitter.com/vobonline/status/957471726874525696
https://twitter.com/vobonline/status/957478997222416384

Such bloodthirst, I like it!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If they wanted to save their strength for K2 couldn't they have, idunno, like stayed there

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

gohuskies posted:

So it’s the government’s job to decide who’s safe and who isn’t? That’s completely contradictory to the spirit of climbing. These guys are as qualified as just about anyone ever will be to climb K2 in winter, they deserved the chance.

Yes, it is? Government can decide that you can't swim in the Hoover dam and it can close a bridge when it's too windy and it can make it illegal for you to take ecstasy and it can not allow you to drive without a seat belt. There are plenty of activities forbidden by governments that are much less dangerous than climbing K2 in winter.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Ah yes, Denis Urubko what a wuss, why not send a real man who's better than him at high altitude winter climbing, such as...umm...hmm

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

I think she might be projecting a bit about the whole "blood on their hands" thing:
https://twitter.com/vobonline/status/957480244369395712

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

She is simply protective of her investment.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Not sure how accurate this is

quote:

Later, Haidri said that Mackiewicz has been "presumed dead". He said the rescuers left the body at 7,400 meters as they could not bring it down.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/on-nanga-parbat-killer-mountain-polish-climber-tomasz-mackiewicz-presumed-dead-1805618

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

As always, with the caveat that as we are not up there we cannot say for sure what anyone can or cannot do but

The second I saw news that Revol had descended somewhat it became quite clear that Mackiewicz could not be rescued. If this person's argument is that any group of climbers fit enough to have attempted a k2 winter ascent must also have been fit enough to brave the winds on Nanga Parbat to rescue someone, it is incredibly flawed.

Going by the numbers, Nanga Parbat is more dangerous to climb than K2 at this point, no?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
A planned attempt is also fundamentally different to a rescue effort. Just because you’re controlling for certain risks on your planned work says nothing for the unplanned risks you’re being asked to wade into when you embark on a rescue effort.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

I like how they feel the need to mention that it's freezing up there.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/01/french-climber-elisabeth-revol-describes-despairing-descent-on-pakistans-killer-mountain

I didn't know the Polish guy was a father of three. :cry: And the woman who has frostbites on three out of four limbs believes she will climb again in time because "she needs it".

I think the reporting is too matter-of-fact, as if all this was just an accident. They should focus more on these climbers' mental health.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

quote:

“I had hallucinations during the night. I imagined that people were bringing me hot tea. A woman asked me if in return she could take my shoe. At that moment I automatically got up, took off my shoe and gave it to her. In the morning when I woke up I was only in my sock.”

Her shoe was nowhere to be seen. She had been without it for five hours and developed severe frostbite.

Well they always told me getting high was dangerous.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

When I die I hope it's above Hillary step after eating an entire sheet of acid

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

weg posted:

Well they always told me getting high was dangerous.

New thread title. Right there. Do it.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I don't understand why they talk in menacing tones about the "killer mountain" when the real story is in asking why these people, many with families to take care of, willingly throw their lives away in a frozen hell they actively climbed and suffered their way into. The mountain is not going to force it's way into your flat to freeze your foot off, that's someone else's fault entirely.

edit: jesus that story

The Guardian posted:

Asked if she would ever climb again, she told AFP: “I think I will. I need this.”

barbecue at the folks fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 2, 2018

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Nice piece of fish posted:

New thread title. Right there. Do it.

Agreed. New year, new title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

barbecue at the folks posted:

edit: jesus that story

Ugh reminds me of that wingsuit guy who has had like more than half of his friends die and said he would stop once he had kids... And now he has kids and still tried to wingsuit off Everest anyway. It's a loving mental illness.

Edit: Joby Ogwyn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBqu2p5n-o8

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 2, 2018