Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That is... insanity. I can't even believe that someone would think it was a good idea to try and use cameras rather than NFC or something. I'm pretty sure most phones have that now, why don't they have an NFC tag in front of each item that you just tap your phone to and then hit checkout on the way out?

loving cameras? Seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

ChairMaster posted:

They've said it used cameras from the start, but it was supposed to be a smart system, not one that lost its marbles if the products on the shelves weren't perfectly in place.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

FCKGW posted:

They were talking about it on a podcast with one of the guys who checked it out. They use cameras to see the shelves and items, not weights or sensors, so as soon as you take an item off the shelf and walk away an employee has to come over and "reset" the shelf again with the products up front so the next customer can be charged properly. It's a hilariously inefficient system.

These must either be very small stores or be Fielding enough people that they should just have registers

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FCKGW posted:

They were talking about it on a podcast with one of the guys who checked it out. They use cameras to see the shelves and items, not weights or sensors, so as soon as you take an item off the shelf and walk away an employee has to come over and "reset" the shelf again with the products up front so the next customer can be charged properly. It's a hilariously inefficient system.

Do you have a link to that podcast? Sounds interesting.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

FCKGW posted:

No way, they can't have went for a solution that stupid. :psyduck:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I've never heard anything like that before in all the articles about those stores, so a source would be nice.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Ars review asked one of the employees and they said that the rearrange of the shelves was for presentation, not for the tracking to work. The reviewer tried rummaging around and taking stuff from the back and couldnt fool it.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I read a bit just the other day that specifically mentioned shelf sensors, but I also remember hearing about camera only a long ways back. Maybe that was one if the changes they made while delaying the open for so long.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Ars review has pictures of some kind of sensor at the back of the shelves.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ChairMaster posted:

That is... insanity. I can't even believe that someone would think it was a good idea to try and use cameras rather than NFC or something. I'm pretty sure most phones have that now, why don't they have an NFC tag in front of each item that you just tap your phone to and then hit checkout on the way out?

NFC/RFID has a lot of issues registering in say a crowded shopping cart or basket. Also, issues with over registering and thus over charging.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

I don't think it's about the retail store, think about other applications in the supply chain.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

Think of how many sensors you would need to track every facing in a store.

Probably around 100-150 per 4 foot section of shelving. Even for a small store you would need tens of thousands of sensors.

You don't want to have to maintain 10,000+ little objects.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Why would they just not... put a disposable rfid tag on everything that rings up when you exit? Like literally every retail store in the country already does to prevent shoplifting?! What is is with tech geeks and the need to make everything as next gen as possible without any regard to feasibility, functionality, or efficiency?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

ryonguy posted:

Why would they just not... put a disposable rfid tag on everything that rings up when you exit? Like literally every retail store in the country already does to prevent shoplifting?! What is is with tech geeks and the need to make everything as next gen as possible without any regard to feasibility, functionality, or efficiency?

That method has been being tried since the 90s and no one has gotten it to work right.

It turns out RFID shits the bed at sufficient density.

Which is why it works great for tracking wholesale shipments and terrible for individual items.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FCKGW posted:

AFAIK that's not true, they do use weights and sensors on the shelves in tandem with cameras and sensors around the store.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ryonguy posted:

Because you can easily not read all the tags, or accidentally register some twice.

Pinging twice pisses off the customer who has to dispute a charge.
Missing an item is going to piss off the store owners because the item might as well be stolen.

Also part of what makes antitheft things more reliable is it only needs to detect any one thing being stolen - it doesn't need to check the tag to know to charge $2 instead of $5. Clever shoplifters know how to rearrange things inside other stuff to inhibit the reader enough to get away with it - someone actually carrying out a bunch of tagged goods at once could easily end up with some things not being tracked.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

AFAIK that's not true, they do use weights and sensors on the shelves in tandem with cameras and sensors around the store.

The sensors are there to make sure the camera collects the info.

So instead of needing a sensor for each facing you can have a couple per shelf. When the sensors pick up a change they tell the cameras to check it out.

Or at least that is my understanding.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
rfids are also relatively expensive compared to the cost of the product, and so either has to be recovered (friction!) or baked into the cost (pricey!)

also all of the conjectures about how it specifically works are both very interesting and very funny

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm just going off of what's in articles.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

These must either be very small stores or be Fielding enough people that they should just have registers

I was about to say, you're going to have an inordinate amount of stocking staff that have to really hustle constantly. I'd want more money for that job if only because I'm going to be running products all over constantly. As it is now most grocery stores allow stuff to wind down so by the end of the day there's clear gaps in stock on the shelf, especially during high traffic times.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I worked for a guy who went to college, became a Pizza Hut manager, and quit because he was working that kind of schedule for about $27k. This Pizza Hut was also one of several franchises owned by a regional company that made bonuses for those managers contingent on cost control measures, mostly skimping on ingredients. Oh, and the managers eventually had to file a class action lawsuit to get those bonuses.

He quit and became a partner in his brother's small family construction firm. When I left the company I think he was making about $55k pre-tax.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Does he have a degree in communication?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Radio Shack did this for at least 30 years as well - they’d have these hosed up little stores that were full of things nobody wanted and bereft of items in demand, then ‘promote’ some poor schlub to manager. Since nobody bought anything, Corporate gave the stores no employee-hours, and the manager would have to be there from 10am to 9pm mon-fri, 9am to 6pm on weekends. The managers would do this for a few months, quit, and the whole process would happen again.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Xae posted:

It turns out RFID shits the bed at sufficient density.
Density isn't really a huge problem if things get funneled through checklanes though. AFAIK the problem is simply that making it viable has depended on getting RFID tags down to a certain price level that it's been turning out to be hard to get them down to.

However, combine that with minimum wage increases, and the incentives might start to shift.

The whole thing is kind of stupid because the real reason that it's hard to just turn a store into a giant vending machine is that customers really want to be able to take stuff off of a shelf and then put it back in the wrong place and gently caress the product displays up all day.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

OneEightHundred posted:

Density isn't really a huge problem if things get funneled through checklanes though. AFAIK the problem is simply that making it viable has depended on getting RFID tags down to a certain price level that it's been turning out to be hard to get them down to.

However, combine that with minimum wage increases, and the incentives might start to shift.

The whole thing is kind of stupid because the real reason that it's hard to just turn a store into a giant vending machine is that customers really want to be able to take stuff off of a shelf and then put it back in the wrong place and gently caress the product displays up all day.

It becomes a problem because how do you tell if the customer had 5 boxes of the same pasta or if the scanner picked up some radio weirdness from trying to interrogate 100+ items in a tiny area.

Think about your average family of 4 weekly grocery run probably has a cart with 50-100 items in it. You're trying to get specific and detailed information from 100 radio sources in a very small area. You get weirdness.

Cheap RFID tags are something like $.05.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
so I looked at the amazon grocery stores and I think maybe they work in a niche but they seem like mostly really expensive convenience stores that you need a membership to shop in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vorkmWa7He8

you can only let so many people in at a time for the cameras to keep track of everything, and if someone reaches past you to grab an item on the shelf it can't tell who picked it up

also there's a line just to get in the store and one to get out

so if you only have 30 minutes for lunch its slower than just going to a regular fast food place and paying and ordering at a cashier directly

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Magius1337est posted:

so I looked at the amazon grocery stores and I think maybe they work in a niche but they seem like mostly really expensive convenience stores that you need a membership to shop in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vorkmWa7He8

you can only let so many people in at a time for the cameras to keep track of everything, and if someone reaches past you to grab an item on the shelf it can't tell who picked it up

also there's a line just to get in the store and one to get out

so if you only have 30 minutes for lunch its slower than just going to a regular fast food place and paying and ordering at a cashier directly

There’s lines because it’s novel and new. The hype will die down once the only visitors are tourists and people for whom the concept works.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

eyebeem posted:

There’s lines because it’s novel and new. The hype will die down once the only visitors are tourists and people for whom the concept works.

ok then how is it sustainable in high rent locations when you're segmenting your consumer base before they've walked in the door?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

eyebeem posted:

Also the prices look like garbage compared to meal prepping or fast food.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Magius1337est posted:

ok then how is it sustainable in high rent locations when you're segmenting your consumer base before they've walked in the door?

I don't think the inventor of the store is reading this thread.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Somebody involved popped up in the Trump thread. They thought Shimrra Jamaane was serious about firebombing them.:shrug:

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

withak posted:

I don't think the inventor of the store is reading this thread.

Who knows? This place is full of Silicon Valley tech nerds.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mozi posted:

I've never heard anything like that before in all the articles about those stores, so a source would be nice.

It was the guy who did the Ars article. He kept mentioning that there’s not really any shelf sensors, but it’s just a grid of hundreds of cameras that track everything you pick up and put down in the store. He did see some sensors in the back of the refrigerated shelves but suspects its additional cameras.

Shelf sensors seem like it would be difficult to determine who picked up an item where a camera system could track a single product no matter where it went. Cameras make more sense than weight sensors when you think of something like 1% or 2% milk. If I pick up a 1% and realize that I needed 2% but put it back in the wrong spot, I get charged for the wrong thing and inventory is screwed. Cameras with unique packaging fixes that. I may have misremembered the need for shelf resetting though.

Here’s him talking at around 29 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dPlWMSr1pk

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 29, 2018

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
So it’s a proving ground for the ultimate capitalist panopticon. Every motion is seen, every item tracked, every consumption debited to your account. This technology can be tested and improved in a simple store setup and then gradually made more sophisticated for gen pop.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
For a moment I got this mixed up with the coldwar thread which talked about a different form of tracking. The Strata Fitbit stuff.

People who share their Strata Fitbit info share it with the whole world, a fact many don't appreciate. The strata info is also available as a global map. And the routes can be narrowed down to individuals. This was in the news because it exposed patrol routes, but there's something else here.

If a state-agent were to combine that info with commercially available info like purchase history and phone locations and browsing habits...well, I don't know. It's still uncharted territory. And if it were a company not beholden to the public at large, who knows?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

For a moment I got this mixed up with the coldwar thread which talked about a different form of tracking. The Strata Fitbit stuff.

People who share their Strata Fitbit info share it with the whole world, a fact many don't appreciate. The strata info is also available as a global map. And the routes can be narrowed down to individuals. This was in the news because it exposed patrol routes, but there's something else here.

If a state-agent were to combine that info with commercially available info like purchase history and phone locations and browsing habits...well, I don't know. It's still uncharted territory. And if it were a company not beholden to the public at large, who knows?

They already do. Its an open secret the NSA and other orgs buy adtech data.

Alternatey look at China and its facial software the government employs.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

RandomPauI posted:

Do you mean "Strava" my dude?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

BrandorKP posted:

Somebody involved popped up in the Trump thread. They thought Shimrra Jamaane was serious about firebombing them.:shrug:

remember that time lowtax got the fbi on him for someone saying they wanted to kill the president

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FamDav posted:

remember that time lowtax got the fbi on him for someone saying they wanted to kill the president

lol which one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RandomPauI posted:

A lot of this is uncharted territory and there's an entire profession dedicated to exploring it and deciding "OK we have all this data now what the gently caress do we do with it?"

Hilariously one of the questions they're trying to get an answer to is "how do we get millenials to buy things?" The answer is "you don't because they're broke."