Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My FDL is mostly outfitted the way I want it. Still need hull reinforcement and a better FSD and a few other things, and I have no engineering but boy is it fun. 5A shields with 4 0A boosters seem pretty impenetrable and a 4A beam laser + four 2F multicannons melt shields and then shred hulls. At least against the NPCs I have been collecting bounties from.

If I want to gain merits with my faction using this, where do I go and how do I do that? I read somewhere about getting ~30 merits per kill but I don't remember where I saw that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If they’re going forward with this system then current implementation of pinned blueprints needs to go. Ideally you should just be able to view engineer blueprints remotely. Barring that G1-5 of a specific modification should be able to be pinned.

lol if you think this ends with anything other than a second monitor with a browser window at EDDB while you buy stuff from the mat trader...

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Just put tooltips on each material.

"Used in: X, Y, Z and your mom".

They should have them anyway, what with it being 2018 and not 1993.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If they’re going forward with this system then current implementation of pinned blueprints needs to go. Ideally you should just be able to view engineer blueprints remotely. Barring that G1-5 of a specific modification should be able to be pinned.

That'd be nice but back in '84 they filled up notebooks with important video game information. So we're probably stuck with in-game pins.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

lol if you think this ends with anything other than a second monitor with a browser window at EDDB while you buy stuff from the mat trader...

The natural state for those who have two monitors but also inara's engineer page is open in a different tab too.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Thoughts on a Chieftain as a general purpose (mostly non-combat) mission ship?

FWIW I currently have a light Keelback outfitted for messing around with random stuff around the bubble (light transport, rescue/salvage, etc.). It's one of my favorite ships, oddly enough; the ol' girl's got character.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Drake_263 posted:

Well, that depends on how much it costs -

There we go. If it's in the same ballpark with the FAS, that's good - something to fill that enormous 5-50M gap in ship costs.

Keep in mind that right now, unless you have faction rank, ship costs look like this:

~5M - Vulture
~6M - Asp-X
~17M - Type-7
~48M - Orca
~49M - Fer-De-Lance
~55M - Python

Having the Chieftain in the 20M ballpark would make the grind there so much more bearable, even if it's not strictly an optimal design.

Frontier's stated that they expect most players to pick a faction to support and by the time they hit the cost of an i/fWhatsit they'll have earned about enough reputation for it. In practice this never happens because a) low-rank missions get you gently caress all for awards, making them unattractive to new players, b) the game in no way communicates that 'hey, these missions with the funny marking here get you reputation with a superpower which unlocks cool ships', and c) the amount of rep-gained-per-mission is negligible when you're a fresh Commander, since of course it scales with your pilot ranks. Therefore most players tend to navigate towards bounty hunting or bulk trading for moneymaking (disregarding the usual Exploit of the Week) and by the time they get to a Vulture or Asp, the grind to the next useable ship chassis is just.. ugh.

The Rep grind for FAS isn't bad. The Rep grind gets crazy at higher ranks, but at lower ranks it is pretty reasonable.

The Chieftain needs a couple more internal slots, its directional thrust fixed and some tweaks to its shields.

Something other than a SCB for shield tankers to stick into military compartments would be nice too.

It would be a can of worms, but Shield Boosters should probably be moved out of Utility and into Military/Internal compartments.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Xae posted:

The Rep grind for FAS isn't bad. The Rep grind gets crazy at higher ranks, but at lower ranks it is pretty reasonable.

The Chieftain needs a couple more internal slots, its directional thrust fixed and some tweaks to its shields.

Something other than a SCB for shield tankers to stick into military compartments would be nice too.

It would be a can of worms, but Shield Boosters should probably be moved out of Utility and into Military/Internal compartments.

At this point I'm pretty sure FDev is going to ignore all this good input and response with: "Making a ship that is just like the FAS but worse is by design" for this patch, then 6 months from now fix it. Just like they did for the T9 and T10 this patch.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Eldragon posted:

At this point I'm pretty sure FDev is going to ignore all this good input and response with: "Making a ship that is just like the FAS but worse is by design" for this patch, then 6 months from now fix it. Just like they did for the T9 and T10 this patch.

Or they'll leave it bad: Cobra MK4, Asp Scout

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Xae posted:

Or they'll leave it bad: Cobra MK4, Asp Scout

Speaking of, I really like the way the Asp Scout looks. The engines are very cool, reminds me of a Geth ship or something. I even enjoy flying it, but I get annoyed at the copy/pasted cockpit from the AspX and how it's just another 2s/2m weapon load out.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Mike the TV posted:

Speaking of, I really like the way the Asp Scout looks. The engines are very cool, reminds me of a Geth ship or something. I even enjoy flying it, but I get annoyed at the copy/pasted cockpit from the AspX and how it's just another 2s/2m weapon load out.

The criminal thing isn't that the AspS is a bad ship in a vacuum, because it's not - it's very nimble for a ship its cost and size, and the gun convergence is very nice. It's just a big fatty fat target since it's based on the Asp airframe. Its greatest sin, unfortunately, is that there's just basically nothing the AspS can do that the Cobra MKIII won't do better and/for cheaper.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Drake_263 posted:

The criminal thing isn't that the AspS is a bad ship in a vacuum, because it's not - it's very nimble for a ship its cost and size, and the gun convergence is very nice. It's just a big fatty fat target since it's based on the Asp airframe. Its greatest sin, unfortunately, is that there's just basically nothing the AspS can do that the Cobra MKIII won't do better and/for cheaper.

Well that, and if you have a copilot in your Cobra you can give see them right next to you. In the Asp they are on a different floor.

Also the shield math gets weird on it and it gets virtually no bonus at all from the a class 5 shield over a class 4. Literally 4 MJ more shields.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I actually kind of like the engineering changes. One of the worst aspects of the old system was grinding out, say, loving Arsenic and then getting crap-tier rolls. Grinding G1-5, knowing that there's a "god roll" at the end of the tunnel, I think gives a much better sense of progression and respect for the player's time than essentially gambling 3 hours worth of arsenic for the potential to get nothing at the end.

Also, since we're now getting per-mat storage, while you're hunting for the G5 mats, you'll inevitably pick up a bunch of G1-4 mats as well. :shrug:

IcePheenix
Mar 4, 2008

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

I actually kind of like the engineering changes. One of the worst aspects of the old system was grinding out, say, loving Arsenic and then getting crap-tier rolls. Grinding G1-5, knowing that there's a "god roll" at the end of the tunnel, I think gives a much better sense of progression and respect for the player's time than essentially gambling 3 hours worth of arsenic for the potential to get nothing at the end.

Also, since we're now getting per-mat storage, while you're hunting for the G5 mats, you'll inevitably pick up a bunch of G1-4 mats as well. :shrug:

There's also a mat trader that will let you trade higher grade mats for lower grade ones. I think 1 G5 can be converted to like 80 G1 so it seems like a decent ratio. Obviously this will probably all get nerfed before it's implemented because it's a good idea but you know.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

It also rewards planning and forward thinking, 'cause if you "progressed" all three large weapons on your Python (as an example) to five and suddenly want to try a different blueprint, you have to do this all over again. Better hope you put all your engineered weapons into storage too, or you'll go through all 1-5 levels on all three weapons again if you change your mind later!

Let's be honest, without the mat trader Frontier is introducing, this would be nuts. Hopefully they won't nerf the trader after the beta, because I'm fully planning on exchanging the tons of crap I have for whatever I need at the moment to never grind mats again!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Speaking of components, I need to farm up some pharmaceutical isolators. Inara says they can be mission rewards, worth board flipping for that or better just to cruise in deep space outbreak systems for USSes?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
I always got them from USS's. Find an outbreak system with a high population, it seems like population affects the USS spawn rate. You can search here: https://eddb.io/system

It says HIP 11909 would be a good place to check.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Trustworthy posted:

Thoughts on a Chieftain as a general purpose (mostly non-combat) mission ship?

FWIW I currently have a light Keelback outfitted for messing around with random stuff around the bubble (light transport, rescue/salvage, etc.). It's one of my favorite ships, oddly enough; the ol' girl's got character.

After doing some theory crafting, I think the internals are this thing's weakness. Fewer slots than a DBX, but makes up for it with the combat internals, but you can't put fun things like an srv bay or AMFU in there. I dunno, I think this may end up being a pure battlewagon with the 3 restricted slots.
:shrug:

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

Yes, but you now need significantly more of those G1-4 mats, because you now have to grind G1-4 on each and every single module, individually. It definitely increases both the amount of grind and the types of grind, while not offering anything significantly better, because those god-rolls were only a "necessity" when we didn't know :turianass: everyone :turianass: was cheating. Now that the playing field is leveled out, there is much more wiggle-room in that last 5% of engineering. Since there is very little in the way of comp play in ED, I can't really think of a situation where god-rolls are essential now.

Enos Cabell posted:

Speaking of components, I need to farm up some pharmaceutical isolators. Inara says they can be mission rewards, worth board flipping for that or better just to cruise in deep space outbreak systems for USSes?

Outbreak systems for me: look for High Grade Emissions. Head for deep space and cruise around, or sometimes you can find them around populated planets.

Edit: Protip: use the galnet articles to look for certain system conditions if you can't find any nearby in the galmap filters. There are articles every few days about "The latest outbreaks" or "Civil wars in the following systems." I never got what those articles were for until I started mat-grinding real hard. I'm actually pretty excited that galnet audio may tear me away from netflix for a bit! :aaa:

Toxic Fart Syndrome fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 27, 2018

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

How do I carry more ammo around? I like using the miniguns but they run out pretty quick. Lasers just aren't as cool.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You can synthesise ammo refills using common materials.

You don't need Horizons to do it but an SRV definitely makes getting the ingredients easier.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Thanks. Can you buy the materials in markets?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

No, you have to shoot rocks.

There's materials traders coming in the next update, but they'll only trade for other materials.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yet another thing they could throw in there as a money sink. Let people buy X amount of basic raw materials with money. You want to blow a million or more on level 1 mats to avoid the buggy? Sure go for it.

IcePheenix
Mar 4, 2008

Gonkish posted:

Yet another thing they could throw in there as a money sink. Let people buy X amount of basic raw materials with money. You want to blow a million or more on level 1 mats to avoid the buggy? Sure go for it.

Yeah there is no reasonable explanation for why not to have that kind of feature. I have a hard time believing that there's no market for materials in the Elite universe.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
No you see only the finest hand-picked materials are good enough to go into the artisanal masterpieces known as engineering.

jboslund
Jan 27, 2009
I just want to be able to use missiles all willy nilly and not run out in 4 minutes. I would gladly spend space money on the ability to restock missiles in combat.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I finally have my name on a previously undiscovered Earth Like World.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Actually one of the engineering-related posts from a couple weeks back said that they're looking at changing how pinned blueprints work.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/393130-ENGINEERING-A-BETTER-FUTURE posted:

These are the changes that we’re currently investigating.
You will be able to craft pinned blueprints at any starport that has outfitting. You won’t be able to gain reputation with the Engineer for doing this, and you won’t be able to fit experimental effects at this point, but it can considerably reduce the upgrading crafting loop

If you could pin a blueprint and then make it from any station, that'd be pretty sweet. Just go and set your faves from each engineer, then make 'em at wherever you store your ships.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

jboslund posted:

I just want to be able to use missiles all willy nilly and not run out in 4 minutes. I would gladly spend space money on the ability to restock missiles in combat.

If you have the materials, you can! Just synthesize new ammunition midflight.

You can't spend money on this, though.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Quick question: when you plot a course to somewhere, is there any quick way to view the whole route in a list and/or move the cursor along the route viewing each system in turn? I feel that I must be missing something because it seems a simple thing. Cheers!

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is there a way to hide the cockpit and pilot model (but keep the hud)? I want to admire the scenery of space but these metal bars are always in the way.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

fuf posted:

Is there a way to hide the cockpit and pilot model (but keep the hud)? I want to admire the scenery of space but these metal bars are always in the way.

There's an external camera mode, not sure if the hotkey is bound by default but you can find it in your controls. It comes with a bunch of screenshotworthy pre-set camera angles inside and outside your ship, plus a 'free camera' function.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

jboslund posted:

Ammunition's in a weird design space in this game. You'd think there'd be some sort of advantage to the weapons with restrictive ammunition limits, but no, they're equally effective to the weapons with tons of ammo, so nobody bothers with them.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

limaCAT posted:

:cheers:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
You'd think that something like cannons engineered with sturdy mounts would do an above-average job of module sniping, but anecdotal data indicates this is not the case.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I've always had better luck getting in close enough to knife fight and using a frag.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Angle of attack matters a lot for damaging internal modules for anything that isn't a rail gun. I've always found multicannons to be very good for wearing modules down. High projectile speed and rapid fire makes getting hits on target very consistent, and with the right attack angle you can pop a powerplant very quickly.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

limaCAT posted:

Still want Frontier to sell naming title deeds for planets & systems you’ve discovered in the online store.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
sniping what modules? explosive damage seems to strip hardpoints pretty quickly, but long range railguns to knock out power plants seems to be a favorite

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I always found strange (and annoying) that someone "discovered" a star 50 ly outside of the bubble. Or a star inside the bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Dwesa posted:

I always found strange (and annoying) that someone "discovered" a star 50 ly outside of the bubble. Or a star inside the bubble.

I mean, humans all came from Earth; somebody had to be the first person to visit any other system :confused:

• Locked thread