Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Tiny Lowtax posted:

It’s just the kids that are usually blurry. We had the 6s for two years and rarely ran into a blurry picture, in all kinds of lighting, and with movement. We get it constantly on the 8s.

have you considered that maybe your children are actually ghosts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

hey girl you up posted:

According to apple, the 6s has a ƒ/2.2 aperture while the 8 has ƒ/1.8. All things being equal, that means the 8 should be able to take in more light in the same amount of time. Consequently, it should be able to take the "same" picture with the shutter opened for less time, which should cut down on motion blur.

On the flip side a wider aperture means you really have to nail focus which the iPhone is not good at doing consistently.

I really miss the camera from my old Android phone :/

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Tiny Lowtax posted:

It’s just the kids that are usually blurry. We had the 6s for two years and rarely ran into a blurry picture, in all kinds of lighting, and with movement. We get it constantly on the 8s.

Have you tried with Live Photos on/off? If you haven’t tried yet, you can select a different still with Live Photos. Maybe it’s choosing a bad frame for some reason.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The live photo alternate stills aren't full res, you're basically just grabbing a video screenshot

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Oh yeah I see that now when I try it. It wasn’t immediately obvious to me the one time I used it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

dissss posted:

On the flip side a wider aperture means you really have to nail focus which the iPhone is not good at doing consistently.

I really miss the camera from my old Android phone :/

The sensor is so small that even at f/1.8 the focal window should still be a decent size, though.

It might be worth looking at the stats from the photos to see what kind of shutter speed it had to use based on available light etc.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Going to take my 6S+ in for a battery consult.

Two weeks wait time, right? I’m assuming they can order the battery then I can go to the store when it comes in for the replacement.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Suqit posted:

Have you heard the Amazon Echo? Im an audio snob, and the second version sounds REALLY loving GOOD.

And it was $80 lol

I'll be shocked, SHOCKED if the Apple version sounds better, and really surprised if it sounds 4 times better.

For reference my main system is a Bel Canto DAC with ATC SCM20asl

I think I’ve heard it once or something. That said - I don’t want amazon in my house. They can bring things to my house but they’re banned from the inside.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
I want Amazon inside me.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I bought a HomePod subsidized fully by birthday and Christmas gift cards. I do hope it's good though

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

y'all get back to me when the airpower mat is shipping

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Lol I forgot about AIRPOWER.

* multiple device charging not available at launch, will be added in a software update.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I mean I get there are simple life limitations but lol @ dropping two wireless charging phones with no info on how the wireless charging works or your official wireless charging device

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

* multiple device charging not available at launch, will be added in a software update.

lmao

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wrong thread

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Open a video on YouTube in safari
Make sure you're signed in
Hit play
Hit the "Flag" button in the bottom right of the video
Don't press anything on the dialogue that pops up
Hit your home button

👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Ok I am trying to clear up some space on my phone.

Messages said it was using 700MB in “Documents and Data”

I went and deleted all my iMessages. It still says that it’s using 700MB even while all the categories below it are taking up zero KB.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 27, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Try force restarting by holding power and home

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Force restarted and backed up - still stuck at 700mb.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 27, 2018

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hit play
Hit your home button

👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

What?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

This is the greatest thing in the world. Please delete it before Google finds out.

The audio keeps playing in the background even if you turn the phone's screen off.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
That's a neat trick haha

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

🤫🤐

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Hit play
Hit your home button

👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

I’ve been using YouTube++ for some time. Just install AppValley and then hit Install on the app

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don't wanna give a third party app my google password

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I don't wanna give a third party app my google password

Could you set up a google account specifically for said third party app?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I could but I'd have to migrate so much of my YouTube data over, it's not worth the effort

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I’m just a consumer whore that sold out to YouTube red. It stings less sharing it with family and such

Rip protube

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Can't you generate app specific passwords through your google settings so you don't have to use your real credentials?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you can then I'll look into that, thanks

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

The Dave posted:

Can't you generate app specific passwords through your google settings so you don't have to use your real credentials?

That still sounds pretty drat sketchy. I mean they could still access tons of stuff in your account, right?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah app-specific passwords are for situations where a third-party app can't use google's 2FA. It doesn't limit what the third-party app can do with your account once it gets in. If you want to limit what third-party apps can do with account access then you do it in the API.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Anyone else notice this happen? The iOS keyboard suggests more emojis than fit on the screen, so it just replaces them with ellipses. Kinda makes the whole thing useless.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

That’s never happened to me. It always shows the emojis. I just tried haha like you, and it has three full emojis to choose from.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Have any details around the security design of iCloud Messages come out? I know Craig said in an interview with Gruber that it was going to be similar to today in that Apple won’t have the keys to decrypt, but there hasn’t been much on the details. I expect they’ll probably update the iOS Security whitepaper once 11.3 is out, but I’m also hearing that you’re automatically switched over once you upgrade, so knowing before upgrading would be nice.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Tiny Lowtax posted:

That’s never happened to me. It always shows the emojis. I just tried haha like you, and it has three full emojis to choose from.

Which device do you have? His screen looks like it’s from a SE.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Is there a HomePod thread?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

dexter6 posted:

Is there a HomePod thread?
Nope, not yet. People might be talking about it in the Home Automation thread which is where Echo and Google Home chat usually resides, but HomePod should probably get its own thread.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tankadillo posted:

Anyone else notice this happen? The iOS keyboard suggests more emojis than fit on the screen, so it just replaces them with ellipses. Kinda makes the whole thing useless.

Probably because you’re on a 4” phone and Apple no longer cares about making sure stuff looks right on those displays.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Weedle posted:

Probably because you’re on a 4” phone and Apple no longer cares about making sure stuff looks right on those displays.

We need to get all these drat poors out of the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Nope, not yet. People might be talking about it in the Home Automation thread which is where Echo and Google Home chat usually resides, but HomePod should probably get its own thread.

For the ... 3 buyers?

Even the Apple friendly blogs have not a lot of good to say.
Critical flaws:

- No stereo (software update to fix! Coming . .)
- No multiroom (software update to fix! Coming . .)
- No smaller (cheaper) versions so multi-room will have exorbitant costs
- Voice control only works with Apple music (software update to fix! Coming . .)
- Siri's worst-in-class voice recognition struggles worse here.
- 2x the price of a Sonos Play:1
- Mediocre sound

Not even sure there's a use-case here. Even if you're 50ft buried in Apple's ecosystem, all the competition work with Apple music.