Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Andrast posted:

I'd play a Dr. Phil tabletop game

Dr.Phil’s Power Kill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

hyphz posted:

There’s Soap, and Pantheon?

And Prime Time Adventures And Dramasystem.
and Dynasty

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Instead of a Dr Phil rpg, specifically, you could do an Oprah RPG with a hack of kill puppies for satan. The PCs are all scumbag quack doctors trying to get rich by getting regular guest spots on her show.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Halloween Jack posted:

Instead of a Dr Phil rpg, specifically, you could do an Oprah RPG with a hack of kill puppies for satan. The PCs are all scumbag quack doctors trying to get rich by getting regular guest spots on her show.
flush colons with grapefruit, the game about plausibly healthy doctorly woo advice. Give your patients on TV advice that will work like a placebo without killing them.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Halloween Jack posted:

Bonus if you bankrupt half your audience by giving them presents?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Andrast posted:

I'd play a Dr. Phil tabletop game
I'd play a Jerry Springer/Maury show where you're all trying to top each other with your horrible hosed up families.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Splicer posted:

I'd play a Jerry Springer/Maury show where you're all trying to top each other with your horrible hosed up families.
Roll to see if you're the father and if so, how many kids.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

food court bailiff posted:

"Not a high enough level to find the trigger" is such a dumb rule idea - even understanding the apparent intent! - that I really don't quite know how to respond to it.

I can't look at the book right now, but actually I think the in-game explanation is that your level acts as a form of licensure that sellers, and guns and equipment themselves, all adhere to unfailingly. Like, if you somehow manage to get a level 7 gun at level 6, the smart chip in it says "Nope!"

"But couldn't you just use the hacking rules in the very same book to bypass that kind of thing?"

:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

The rules are vague, but they all seem to be focused solely on hacking things with everyday UX, like tablets and workstations. Meanwhile you're definitely not going to trick the system/seller that you are actually level 20 instead of level 10, because the DCs for that sort of thing are busted and probably no one can, not even on a small localized scale.

What a fun and exciting space opera adventure!

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
your ability to use items isn't restricted by level, just your ability to buy them

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Halloween Jack posted:

Re #4: Are you sure about that? In any given year for a long time now, the most popular films are genre movies.

Re #5: The big groups of potential roleplayers who aren't being captured by the medium are people doing freeform, online roleplay, and people playing RPG video games.

First, I'm not convinced that the way forward for RPGs is to recruit more people by imitating whatever is popular in whatever other given medium. It's better to focus on what's being done in things that are at least games in the first place. Not everything adapts well to a tabletop game--you could certainly make a game about The Amazing Race or American Ninja Warrior, but what about Dr. Phil, The Daily Show, and The Bachelor?

Re: Re #4
I´m not sure, I´m afraid.
I suppose it´s more of a sign of the times,
but then I seem to remember early movie making and the first half of the 20th century as bigger on historical movies than anything else.
Weird, I suppose. Also might just be me. Gone with the Wind, Spartacus, Ben-Hur but then on the other hand, Nosferatu.

Edit:Though I´d just had. Is the increasing reliance on fictional and fantastical content in entertainment media a way to blend out the perceived/subjective "cruel" reality and therefore points to man´s increased detachment from himself and his others?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Red Metal posted:

your ability to use items isn't restricted by level, just your ability to buy them

Woops, you're correct. In fact the beginning of the equipment chapter says that you should typically be able to buy level + 1 items. Which is not as useful as one might hope because most of the weapon tables are full of level + 2 and + 3 gaps. Melee weapons in particular are especially screwed on that front.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's a big, broad question I don't think I can answer, but some thoughts in response:

The "action film" didn't emerge as an archetype until, Idunno, the 60s. Before that they tended to be labeled "adventure" films, if they weren't war movies or Westerns. Some of it is about money and technology; there wasn't enough of either in the 1950s to do something as frankly decadent as building a fake highway to shoot a chase on.

Another factor is that the Hollywood industry has become based around a few huge "tentpole" blockbusters each year, and it's like they don't know how to make a film that isn't insanely expensive. For example, Ghostbusters was considered a very expensive film, maybe the most expensive of 1984, at $30 million. Adjust that for inflation and it's still less than half of what they spent on the new Ghostbusters...which was just an also-ran action film, probably not in the top ten most expensive films that year.

Two corollaries to this: one, everyone is nervous about these tentpole blockbusters failing, so they gravitate towards adaptations. (It's not about the "built in audience," most of the time, but the original work serving as a proof of concept: someone will buy this.) It's easier to pitch the "high concept" of a sci-fi/fantasy novel than a contemporary drama.

Film is becoming both more and less subversive. You see films that are blatantly anticapitalist and question the American empire and blah blah, but you know what else did that? Star Wars in 1977. I recently rewatched Bronx Warriors 2: Escape from the Bronx, and I was stunned at a scene where the heroes just gun down some cops and keep right on going. Yes, this is a dystopian ripoff of Escape from New York, but the cops just look like contemporary cops. You can't do that in the U.S. film industry in 2018 unless there's enough science-fictional window-dressing to obscure what's happening in structural terms. Katniss kills cops, but they're Tron Star Wars cops.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Splicer posted:

I believe you're looking for Gloom, where the winner is the one with the most tragic life before dying.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Starfinder's level-gated equipment was put in because the the designers at some point realized that the narratives that would spring from a sci-fi game might produce outcomes where the players could become fabulously wealthy beyond the prescripted wealth-by-level rules, so they had to say that you couldn't wield a level 20 Gun even if you could afford it.

And it's one of the things that other games have solved even within its context; for example, Fantasy Craft only lets you hold on to a certain percentage of your money between adventures because it presumes the rest goes to inn stays, ale, whores, whatever. And improving that percentage is an in-game trait you can focus on raising, but it both simultaneously reduces fantasy accounting (since you're not tracking day-to-day expenses between adventures) and prevents wealth bloat for characters that don't focus on counteracting it. Of course, they also just use an entirely different economy for magic items based on a point / reputation system. And games like 13th Age just abstract the whole business entirely.

But Starfinger doesn't change what is inherently a headache of a system to begin with, instead they just try and erect walls to prevent player abuse while doing nothing to prevent outright player failure within the system.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hello friends. Today was a good day, gaming-wise. I went down to the local game store with my brother and played boardgames all afternoon. Uwe Rosenberg's Patchwork, 7 Wonders Duel, and Tim Fowers's Paperback.

Of these, Patchwork was my clear favorite - the game is tense and competitive all throughout. 7 Wonders Duel was very evocative and felt like playing a miniaturized version of Sid Meier's Civilization with its capture of the broad sweep of history and diverse mechanics, but the number of different ways to win felt like one of them will always sneak up on you. The length of the game was good though.

Paperback is like Scrabble on steroids, but the intense demand on one's vocabulary made it feel less confrontational/competitive, and it takes quite a while to play if you're really musing over what words can be assembled.

I also saw two groups of people playing D&D (5th Edition, because of course). Hopefully this year I can run a live game (of not that).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Halloween Jack posted:

You can't do that in the U.S. film industry in 2018 unless there's enough science-fictional window-dressing to obscure what's happening in structural terms. Katniss kills cops, but they're Tron Star Wars cops.

I was always kind of taken aback at that element in The Matrix and the fact it more or less got away with it even though, by all appearances, they're still shooting people who die.

But they do it with rad techno and flipping around and cool cinematography so it's all good. :ssh:

That being said, there are more ways to be subversive than law enforcement body counts, though it's true there are myriad factors that are narrowing Hollywood's lens.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cops aren't as untargeteable by Hollywood as much as the US Military. Those fuckheads put you on a poo poo list and prevent you from leasing their stuff if you do anything short of blowing off THE FEW THE PROUD THE BRAVE troops (loving Top Gun 2's script was cancelled for that/

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

You also have to minimize gore or the consequences of physical violence in order to retain a PG13 to help ensure maximum release size. You can shoot people all you want, they're just not allowed to bleed.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Wrote a new Sergeant Nerd post: Skill and Bones.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

JackMann posted:

Wrote a new Sergeant Nerd post: Skill and Bones.

I always liked the entry on Cargo Cult Design for this one - about how the Rogue skills in D&D which were based on resource management (being able to open the chest vs having to smash it and losing stuff or haul the entire chest out for extra encumbrance) stuck around long after the resource management aspect was gone. Plus, the lack of skills in old D&D could easily be a message implying don't have a freakin' cliff which everyone in the party must climb or game over. Basically I've found any skill check where you can't define the failure is problematic, and if the failure definition is "the players have to come up with a creative solution" then that's a big risk because what if they don't?

Related to this is the "must roll dice so that it feels like my character is doing something" syndrome that seems to creep into a lot of games.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

All right I'll put an unofficial resolution to translate from Portuguese and run a campaign of this fighting game/anime rpg

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Trying to remember a RPG that I've heard of in passion. Something about giant mechs being piloted in tandems, with an emotional compatibility system between pilots and partners. Very anime.

Any ideas?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Trying to remember a RPG that I've heard of in passion. Something about giant mechs being piloted in tandems, with an emotional compatibility system between pilots and partners. Very anime.

Any ideas?

Bliss Stage possibly? Pedo warning on that one.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Yeah, sounds like Bliss Stage.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Yep, that sounds like Bliss Stage. The gist of it is that the first strike of an alien invasion was a sleeping sickness that only affects adults (the aforementioned Bliss Stage), and renders most of the world helpless to fend off a follow-up assault by giant robotic drones controlled psionically by the invaders in another dimension or possibly their homeworld far from Earth. A human resistance movement consisting mostly of teenagers who aren't old enough to be affected by Bliss, plus a surviving adult to coordinate them, has managed to capture an alien drone and hack it into an "ANIMa creche" that allows a teenaged human pilot to enter the alien's psychic dreamscape and combat them there, while another person called an anchor helps them control and interpret the dreamscape and keeps them from losing their poo poo.

It is very much Evangelion: The RPG, including a lot of complicated and sometimes unsettling relationship dynamics. The pilot / anchor group are all teenagers in messy love triangles and so on, and you're explicitly meant to complicate their lives as much as possible in a very Monsterhearts-esque way.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

One day, I will own and run this module

Or maybe I'll just write A Wizard Ate All Your Chips: the RPG

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I kinda wanna run a game of Marvel Heroic set in the MCU while people are all excited for Infinity War. Some kinda Avengers 2.5 or something.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Waffleman_ posted:

I kinda wanna run a game of Marvel Heroic set in the MCU while people are all excited for Infinity War. Some kinda Avengers 2.5 or something.

Comics are good. I read pretty much the whole run of Gwenpool in a single night and now I'm reading Howard the Duck and I keep thinking a game about normies in a superhero world would be fun, but even as a one-off I'm not sure I can come up with enough content that's actually fun instead of just funny.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Waffleman_ posted:

MCUing up various Marvel characters that haven't been in the movies yet is a fun idea

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

MCUing up various Marvel characters that haven't been in the movies yet is a fun idea

Oh yeah, I'd definitely have a rule that if you're playing a character that's not in the MCU, you have to cast a real actor in the role.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
I have a lot of love for the 2015-ongoing Doctor Strange run.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'd have to figure out some kinda storyline or characters to adapt, yeah.

How about Secret Empire

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Waffleman_ posted:

How about Secret Empire

One More Day Diceroll

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
(Speaking of which, Howard the Duck is a spell caster in the 12-issue "Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme" spin-off)

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I always suspected Doctor Strange is a quack.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

How about Secret Empire

Nextwave.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

food court bailiff posted:

Comics are good. I read pretty much the whole run of Gwenpool in a single night and now I'm reading Howard the Duck and I keep thinking a game about normies in a superhero world would be fun, but even as a one-off I'm not sure I can come up with enough content that's actually fun instead of just funny.
There's a FATE game called Base Raiders which is set in generic superhero universe after all the heroes and villains are killed off in a crisis event, and you're just some normies ransacking the batcave for stuff to sell and/or use to fight off the bunch of malfunctioning iron man suits "protecting" Detroit.

Or go full survival horror. Cloverfield except instead of an incoming nuke it's not-the-flash sonic booming through the city. Yeah the good guys will win in the end, but can you avoid being part of not-superman's "I couldn't save them all" speech?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Splicer posted:

Or go full survival horror. Cloverfield except instead of an incoming nuke it's not-the-flash sonic booming through the city. Yeah the good guys will win in the end, but can you avoid being part of not-superman's "I couldn't save them all" speech?

Even the old, lighthearted Superman: The Animated Series from the late 1990s has them smash through multiple buildings all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n1DGFpWRKc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwnnnbvRCxQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9zHhVkkC0w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cG4BNJBXBU

The only difference with the Man of Steel fights is that they focus upon what it is like to be a bystander, rather than zooming in on Superman and his foe. The music tells the audience that getting thrown through multiple skyscrapers is a terrible tragedy, rather than a cool spectacle. Though I feel it still works better with Godzilla as an apocalyptic savior. Speaking of which, are there good RPGs about being in a disaster movie?

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I feel like you could manage one good Fiasco playset out of the premise, but otherwise it takes away too much player agency to be a good RPG as a premise.