Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Krankenstyle posted:

See also T1000 in Terminator 2
That's always annoyed me, because shattering it made it thaw quicker. They should have left it frozen in one piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tiggum posted:

That's always annoyed me, because shattering it made it thaw quicker. They should have left it frozen in one piece.

They didn't know that though, and it actually worked for a while until the bits started melting.

It's like someone in a horror movie running left instead of right. It's fine, as opposed to running into the haunted basement instead of running away from the spooky house

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In Terminator 2 they had a couple of chances to weaken the T1000 and they didn't. Like when John Connor had a piece that broke off when it was trying to grab the car and he THROWS IT BACK.

Or when the T1000 shattered why didn't Arnie scoop up 5he fragments and lob them into the molten steel that was right there? :psyduck:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Panfilo posted:

In Terminator 2 they had a couple of chances to weaken the T1000 and they didn't. Like when John Connor had a piece that broke off when it was trying to grab the car and he THROWS IT BACK.

Or when the T1000 shattered why didn't Arnie scoop up 5he fragments and lob them into the molten steel that was right there? :psyduck:

John saw what the T1000 did in the arcade, the hospital, and the elevator. No way he'd keep around a part of it.

Scooping is dumb so I won't speak to it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
In The Beyond, it irritated me that they started with a kind of interesting premise and then totally blew it by spending the majority of the movie on some bullshit about how to put a brain in a robot when they could have just handwaved the physics stuff about how the human body couldn't make the trip and shown us some cool aliens or whatever. And don't even get me started on the ending. You're doing a kind-of found footage/fake documentary scifi movie, trying to make a serious point just feels out of place. I'm someone who likes that type of movie and is very forgiving, but that whole movie was just irritating.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Same,he always has great visuals but there's always something slightly off.

Off the top of my head : Blade 2 - that terrible cgi fight with the ninjas,
Fair point.

quote:

and the movie's kinda boring.
You're loving dead to me.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Aleph Null posted:

The Angel of Death in Hellboy 2 was pure Del Toro and was so, so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4JOl8GxDZs

Seconding that angel. I didn't care for the movie at all, but that is excellent creature design.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Pans labyrinth - great effects and story but makes me want to kill myself every time i see it.

I mean, yes, but that was the intention, so, mission accomplished?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I like the MiB guys trying to deal with the tooth fairies in Hellboy 2, but I’m not a fan of the wacky Men in Black style background gags going on in the base.

Also I know it’s passé but I don’t like Seth MacFarlane reusing the voice from that lovely talking fish from American Dad.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Seth MacFarlane doesn't voice Klaus in American Dad.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Krankenstyle posted:

A mythical Danish king met his wife that way; something like neither dressed nor naked, neither blah blah, and she turned out to be on the beach, dressed in a fishermans net, etc.

Funny how those things reoccur.

That scene did make it to TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LZsfDKpZFU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Tiggum posted:

I read somewhere that freezing and shattering it was supposed to have actually hosed it up pretty good, which is why it's stuttering and having issues in the forge towards the end. It's still a machine, after all, and breaking it apart like that at those temperatures apparently didn't do whatever systems keep it together any favors.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Polaron posted:

I read somewhere that freezing and shattering it was supposed to have actually hosed it up pretty good, which is why it's stuttering and having issues in the forge towards the end. It's still a machine, after all, and breaking it apart like that at those temperatures apparently didn't do whatever systems keep it together any favors.

Yeah, there were at least two deleted scenes that made it clear that the T-1000 was really not working well after freezing/shattering/rehealing. One had the T-1000 resting his hand on a striped handrail, only to find that he was accidentally mimicking the coloring and had a little trouble stopping himself from grabbing the thing in the first place. Other scene had John realizing his mom was the T-1000 was looking at her feet to find that everything below the knee was mimicking the metal grate under its feet.

The only part of this "the T-1000 is busted" throughline that survives into the theatrical cut is a bit where the T-1000 ripples upward once. It's still supposed to be a clue that poo poo isn't right with him, but in a void it just comes out looking like it's doing a "is everything where it needs to be" pass over itself.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Sunswipe posted:

Fair point.

You're loving dead to me.

I liked Ron hellboyman and his nordic looking vampire killing buds but they weren't in it enough,i'd have watched a whole movie of them.Also i think the first movie is better if not least for feeling like a real alive city full of horrible poo poo underneath.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

Although being pedantic, the rocket launcher didn't actually kill the Judge. They had to arrange for the pieces to be dropped in several different oceans to make sure nobody reassembled him.

Although being even more pendantic, the Scoobies don't actually know if he's dead or not. They do the ocean thing as a precaution, because why wouldn't you?

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah, there were at least two deleted scenes that made it clear that the T-1000 was really not working well after freezing/shattering/rehealing. One had the T-1000 resting his hand on a striped handrail, only to find that he was accidentally mimicking the coloring and had a little trouble stopping himself from grabbing the thing in the first place. Other scene had John realizing his mom was the T-1000 was looking at her feet to find that everything below the knee was mimicking the metal grate under its feet.

The only part of this "the T-1000 is busted" throughline that survives into the theatrical cut is a bit where the T-1000 ripples upward once. It's still supposed to be a clue that poo poo isn't right with him, but in a void it just comes out looking like it's doing a "is everything where it needs to be" pass over itself.

It's always annoyed me that without the deleted scene, John has no way of knowing which of the Sarah Connors is the real one. So in the theatrical cut it looks like he just sees one appear behind the other and takes a blind guess.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kid knows his mom.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Lagertha is way better than Aslaug in almost every way and that's my opinion about Vikings thank you for reading

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

jabby posted:

Although being even more pendantic, the Scoobies don't actually know if he's dead or not. They do the ocean thing as a precaution, because why wouldn't you?

It's always annoyed me that without the deleted scene, John has no way of knowing which of the Sarah Connors is the real one. So in the theatrical cut it looks like he just sees one appear behind the other and takes a blind guess.

I'm having difficulty finding it on youtube, but isn't the T1000 trying to get him to come closer, and Sarah appears and growls 'John, get down' or something? Not hard to figure out which is which in that case.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I liked Ron hellboyman and his nordic looking vampire killing buds but they weren't in it enough,i'd have watched a whole movie of them.Also i think the first movie is better if not least for feeling like a real alive city full of horrible poo poo underneath.

My IIMM with Hellboy is that they had a perfectly good story to work with ("Seed of Destruction") and had to add that loving Agent John Myers as the "audience surrogate."

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I liked Death's idea on how to deal with an immortal pest in Supernatural - just teleport them to a remote planet and forget they ever existed. That takes another god-like thing to intervene though so it's not really practical. Also it didn't work because the winchesters are morons.

In the Dead Like Me spinoff they shoot an immortal guy into space.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Tunicate posted:

Kid knows his mom.

This was the exact reason that scene was removed, iirc. Intuitively knowing rather than seeing one mom is a horrible blob of murder robot.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Panfilo posted:

After they'd already established that the T1000 can duplicate anyone it's touched, I was amazed that they didn't use that scene as the basis for the T1000 doing a body double of John later in the film.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Android Apocalypse posted:

My IIMM with Hellboy is that they had a perfectly good story to work with ("Seed of Destruction") and had to add that loving Agent John Myers as the "audience surrogate."

Giving Hellboy a normal guy to play opposite worked for his general angsty teenager nonsense.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Phanatic posted:

After they'd already established that the T1000 can duplicate anyone it's touched, I was amazed that they didn't use that scene as the basis for the T1000 doing a body double of John later in the film.

But then he would have to kill himself.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd love to see a character who earlier in the story made a huge mistake of some sort and used fighting his clone as a way of kicking himself. Just smacking him with a hammer yelling "WHY! DID! YOU! SAY! THAT! YOU! IDIOT!" while the clone lies in the fetal position crying.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Samuringa posted:

But then he would have to kill himself.

Still disappointed genesys didn't involve them teaming up with the t2000 to kill evil john conner

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

BioEnchanted posted:

I'd love to see a character who earlier in the story made a huge mistake of some sort and used fighting his clone as a way of kicking himself. Just smacking him with a hammer yelling "WHY! DID! YOU! SAY! THAT! YOU! IDIOT!" while the clone lies in the fetal position crying.

It's really, really weird and you definitely wouldn't love seeing it but in the animated Death Of Superman movie a shirtless Lex Luthor does that to a Superman clone he created himself, blaming him from dying and leaving him alone.

And, before you ask, yes, that's the context, and yes, it is exactly as homoerotic and disconcerting if you watch the full movie.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

MisterBibs posted:

That's weird. I'm pretty sure every time I've seen it it has those scenes in it. Is there an Extended Edition or something?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

THeres like six different editions of T2

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

BioEnchanted posted:

Is there something you need to get off your chest, dude.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

oldpainless posted:

THeres like six different editions of T2

All of them are the best

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Well, they are working on a Metal Gear Solid film, so...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Inescapable Duck posted:

A tale in Hindu mythology involves a demon who couldn't be killed at day or night, indoors or outdoors, clothed or naked, by man god or beast etc etc also involves an incredibly specific set of circumstances required to kill him. I think it's always been a favourite of storytellers wanting to sound smart.

Reminded of how Tolkein incorporated a few things into Lord of the Rings that were more literal/interesting (to him) interpretations of Macbeth's prophesies, such as the Witch-King that can be defeated by no man. They kinda double up on that- he is wounded by Pippin, who is a man but of the race called Hobbits, not Men, and slain by a woman of the race called Men.

Is there a term for this sort of misleading prophecy

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Roblo posted:

That's weird. I'm pretty sure every time I've seen it it has those scenes in it. Is there an Extended Edition or something?

Two or three. I think the most recent is the Skynet Edition. The scenes have been known about since the off, though, they're in the official novelisation.

As to how John knows which Sarah is real: the first one is calling for him to come out when his mother had told him not to, and the second looks angry as gently caress - the T-1000 is relentlessly calm - is obviously affected by her injuries, and has her shotgun.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is there a term for this sort of misleading prophecy

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ProphecyTwist

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PropheticFallacy

Bout as close as I could find

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I'm watching some lovely movie on netflix where the premise is someone keeps a guy locked up in a cage for days because they think he kidnapped their son. The premise itself is irritating because if he really was the kidnapper then you'd probably be killing the kid if he was tied up somewhere and depended on the kidnapper for food/water. That's a rational irritation though - the irrational one is that in movies like that where someone is in a cage they hardly ever address the fact that they'd need to go to the bathroom. It's irrational because I don't actually want to see someone making GBS threads in a bucket or the people cleaning it up, but once I started noticing it it always sticks out.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'm watching some lovely movie on netflix where the premise is someone keeps a guy locked up in a cage for days because they think he kidnapped their son. The premise itself is irritating because if he really was the kidnapper then you'd probably be killing the kid if he was tied up somewhere and depended on the kidnapper for food/water. That's a rational irritation though - the irrational one is that in movies like that where someone is in a cage they hardly ever address the fact that they'd need to go to the bathroom. It's irrational because I don't actually want to see someone making GBS threads in a bucket or the people cleaning it up, but once I started noticing it it always sticks out.

For a moment I thought you're talking about Prisoners, but you're not are you? Go watch Prisoners if you haven't seen it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Taeke posted:

For a moment I thought you're talking about Prisoners, but you're not are you? Go watch Prisoners if you haven't seen it.

No, it's called a mother's instinct or something.

e: the ending is also very irritating in a similar way to what you all were posting about a few pages back about the good guys never facing any consequences for the various crimes they commit. They just cut it off after the family is reunited. I don't need the full aftermath where they all go to prison for life for torturing a guy in a cage for days and the kid gets put in foster care, but at least show them getting arrested so it's not just another feel-good clean happy ending.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 00:26 on Jan 29, 2018

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I love the gag in an early season of Supernatural.
They're always fighting monsters and most of then can only be killed a certain way.

Except a wood chipper.

Nothing survives that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bending the thread rules on this one but the movie Ingrid Goes West tests my patience to the utmost limit.