Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Houle posted:

Crazy Cat Lady.

God drat that was an amazing joke/gag/scene.

once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Data Graham posted:

God drat that was an amazing joke/gag/scene.

once

Same with Disco Stu

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is the crazy cat lady still Flanders's mom

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Ein cooler Typ posted:

wait what

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Ein cooler Typ posted:

come again

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

He's confusing the crazy cat lady with Flanders' mother from this scene ("Hello Joe") because I suppose they share some of the same mannerisms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhLR6XaTn18&t=78s
To be honest it's a pretty dumb thing to say

Wizard Master fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 27, 2018

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
thank you wizard master

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

thank you wizard master

You're welcome mate.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
someone on the DVD commentary said the same thing

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yep, that's a freaky beatnik all right

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Don’t give the writers ideas. They already felt the need to give crazy cat lady a back story: https://youtu.be/u_dKCYh1auo

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Wizard Master posted:

He's confusing the crazy cat lady with Flanders' mother from this scene ("Hello Joe") because I suppose they share some of the same mannerisms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhLR6XaTn18&t=78s
To be honest it's a pretty dumb thing to say

You call her his mother despite the fact he obviously calls her grandma Flanders.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Good lord what is happening in this thread.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been rewatching a lot lately, and damned if I'm not enjoying S2 more than the next few classic seasons. The writing and production got slicker afterwards, but it's still very funny in a more grounded way. I enjoy its family-centric setup and I actually like all the characters more than the caricatures they started becoming.
So basically, the low point = seasons 3-29 :fry:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SEX BURRITO posted:

Don’t give the writers ideas. They already felt the need to give crazy cat lady a back story: https://youtu.be/u_dKCYh1auo

They're scraping the bottom of the barrel so hard that they had an episode where the cat lady had a B plot

quote:

After Tommy Chong walks away from the Cheech & Chong reunion tour, Homer goes on the road as his replacement. Meanwhile, Marge tries to help the cat lady with her hoarding problem.

That was 6 seasons ago

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 27, 2018

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Because of this thread I have a ton of recommended Simpsons clips on youtube. They're all basically 7-minute recaps of the A-plots from relatively new episodes, so tonight I figured why the hell not. I got a few chuckles from them, but they all seem to rely heavily on "it was just a dream" plot tropes when things get too crazy for continuity. What's the deal? Is that common now? From what I watched, it seems way too common. And not even a Patrick Duffy cameo.

Also, I can't say that I notice a difference in Marge's voice, but Nelson's voice has gone to poo poo.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've been rewatching a lot lately, and damned if I'm not enjoying S2 more than the next few classic seasons. The writing and production got slicker afterwards, but it's still very funny in a more grounded way. I enjoy its family-centric setup and I actually like all the characters more than the caricatures they started becoming.
So basically, the low point = seasons 3-29 :fry:

What I always have to remind myself is that when the Simpsons debuted it was a cartoon. A prime-time cartoon for grown-ups, but a cartoon.

Seasons 1 and 2 were as much about the silly wacky animation as they were about the jokes and character development. It was really only after S3 and the Film Roman switch that they started leaning a lot heavier on the cerebral verbal humor and we entered the period when most of the memes and memorable gags come from. Before that you got tons of laughs purely from oddball Groening character designs and off-the-wall animation antics, Warner Bros./MGM style. The rest was family-based, everyday well-grounded sitcom humor where the kids were ten-year-olds and the parents were blue-collar schmoes, not astronauts or barbershop Beatles or folk singers playing for a power plant walkout.

One of the biggest laughs I ever got from the Simpsons when it was airing new was that goofy-rear end run cycle on the bear cub in the Happy Little Elves video :newlol:

E: ^^ Check out Mr. Burns' voice, Harry's hardly even trying to sound like him anymore

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

PostNouveau posted:

They're scraping the bottom of the barrel so hard that they had an episode where the cat lady had a B plot

That was 6 seasons ago

I saw that episode recently, it loving sucked so bad.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Data Graham posted:

E: ^^ Check out Mr. Burns' voice, Harry's hardly even trying to sound like him anymore

Ah. Yeah. I'm watching this clip and can definitely hear Shearer's normal speaking voice coming through: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwuqK7iv5-A.

I haven't watched the show on television for more than 10 years, so the only exposure I have has been from short clips online in the past year or so. I guess that since the voices still have the same particularities to them as I remember, I'm not noticing it as much. I should watch some old episodes.

E: Yeah. Gotta echo the sentiment that the VAs have lost their voices. There's a second episode in that link I posted. At 7:04 Quimby does not sound like the Quimby I remember

Backweb fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 27, 2018

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I saw a newish episode yesterday where the couch gag was like a 5 minute Breaking Bad spoof with Marge making blue cupcakes.

I can’t believe how badly Breaking Bad references have aged already.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Data Graham posted:

What I always have to remind myself is that when the Simpsons debuted it was a cartoon. A prime-time cartoon for grown-ups, but a cartoon.

Seasons 1 and 2 were as much about the silly wacky animation as they were about the jokes and character development. It was really only after S3 and the Film Roman switch that they started leaning a lot heavier on the cerebral verbal humor and we entered the period when most of the memes and memorable gags come from. Before that you got tons of laughs purely from oddball Groening character designs and off-the-wall animation antics, Warner Bros./MGM style. The rest was family-based, everyday well-grounded sitcom humor where the kids were ten-year-olds and the parents were blue-collar schmoes, not astronauts or barbershop Beatles or folk singers playing for a power plant walkout.

One of the biggest laughs I ever got from the Simpsons when it was airing new was that goofy-rear end run cycle on the bear cub in the Happy Little Elves video :newlol:

Oh yeah, I won't actually rank it outright better than the more later seasons, which are really the show's defining style. It's just nice to find things I'm liking or preferring earlier on, especially finding a ton of solid episodes that I haven't seen fifty million times already.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PostNouveau posted:

That was 6 seasons ago

Are there any minor characters left that haven’t gotten at least a B plot?

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Editing this: realizing you meant recurring characters. I guess I'd question Dr. Monroe and Hans Moleman. Original post below.

B plot? Or A plot?

I'm probably getting "B plot" confused with "character background" expos from A plots, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Dr. Marvin Monroe, Hank Scorpio, and Cecil Terwilliger were characters that never had a B plot (though they were part of the A plot). What about Hans Moleman and Mr. Black from the original Kamp Krusty?

Backweb fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 27, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’d be shocked if there hasn’t been at least 3 Moleman centric episodes by now.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Lou and Eddie

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

I Love Loosies posted:

Lou and Eddie

Lou Lewison and Eddie Edwards

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’d be shocked if there hasn’t been at least 3 Moleman centric episodes by now.

I hope not. Moleman's origin keeps changing and that's what's great about him.

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

Who What Now posted:

I hope not. Moleman's origin keeps changing and that's what's great about him.

However, in episode 13 of season 26, "Walking Big & Tall", he is revealed to be the former mayor of Springfield; however, he is banished from Springfield on a horse by the angry townsfolk when Moe Szyslak discovers that a song Moleman made Springfield's city anthem 30 years before was in fact a rip-off of another town's anthem.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

SeANMcBAY posted:

I am shocked but also happy to discover they've never brought back Poochie.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Scudworth posted:

I am shocked but also happy to discover they've never brought back Poochie.

I’m pretty sure they have brought back Poochie a few times. Just for short gags though.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
It annoyed me that they brought back Lurleen. The original episode was great and wrapped up nicely, so obviously they had to do a wacky sequel where she ends up living with the Simpsons.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nutsngum posted:

You call her his mother despite the fact he obviously calls her grandma Flanders.

that's not an uncommon thing

he calls her grandma Flanders because he's Rod and Todd's grandma

doesn't Marge call Abe grandpa Simpson

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SEX BURRITO posted:

It annoyed me that they brought back Lurleen. The original episode was great and wrapped up nicely, so obviously they had to do a wacky sequel where she ends up living with the Simpsons.

I thought this was gonna end up with "it annoyed me when they showed her in the gutter destitute"

but then I read the whole sentence and they brought her back again??

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I thought this was gonna end up with "it annoyed me when they showed her in the gutter destitute"

Like a decade ago

quote:

When the Simpsons discover that Lurleen Lumpkin is on the skids, Marge reluctantly agrees to take her in and help her find her deadbeat dad who abandoned her 30 years ago.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Ein cooler Typ posted:

doesn't Marge call Abe grandpa Simpson

That's not uncommon but it's also because Grampa as a character wasn't given a name until halfway through season 2.

A character that old n' crazy can easier be assumed to be Flander's grandmother and not his mom though, especially since this was when the kids were toddlers.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

The Comic-Book-Guy has a japanese girlfriend now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I Love Loosies posted:

The Comic-Book-Guy has a japanese girlfriend now.

Actually I'm pretty sure they got married.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I remember all week they were showing promos "they're finally gonna reveal Comic Book Guy's real name" and I was so excited. then the episode aired and Lisa asked "what's your name?" and he said "Jeff Albertson" and that was it

I was like wtf that's it? that was one of my earliest memories of being disillusioned with the simpsons

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Ein cooler Typ posted:

didn't they bring her back in the monorail episode? it always seemed really harsh and mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I remember all week they were showing promos "they're finally gonna reveal Comic Book Guy's real name" and I was so excited. then the episode aired and Lisa asked "what's your name?" and he said "Jeff Albertson" and that was it

I was like wtf that's it? that was one of my earliest memories of being disillusioned with the simpsons

Also Groening didn't like it because his name was supposed to be Louis Lane