Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Urban Smurf posted:

Maybe the question now should be which brand of mental illness will actualize a real find?

I hope to address that and other questions in the podcast.

You won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
The OP of this thread is the best way to get started without having to go through dozens of links, so there's that draw.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

They're never gonna find anything so they might as well.

For me, this search is mainly a fun starting point for some mental exercises. For instance the other day, that crazy JoshCornell and I were talking about the Montreal puzzle, and it led to me taking a walk throught the golden mile via Google satellite, learning about the historical building's in the Golden Square Mile, then we got on about San Francisco and I learned about this crazy cross monument:

https://imgur.com/yWXIsbQ

Then I went and read the enitre wiki biography about Mark Twain. We even found an alternate solution that starts on the other end of the park from the most popular SF solution, and ends up in the same location despite sharing none of the same solution. If I got all this from chatting with literally the craziest, most hostile person in the quest for this treasure hunt, imagine what I learn having normal conversations. It's a fun way to spend an afternoon using lean-forward modern media to exercise my mind.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 26, 2018

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

EconDad posted:

... whoever "Goldengate" is on Q4T.... I'm getting some serious joy out of reading his JoshCornell take-downs.

I wish they had redtext avs over there, because I would totally buy him a "I came here to solve puzzles and post horribly... and I'm all out of puzzles"

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
The treasure isn't in jewels, or crappy buried porcelain casks. The treasure is I get is from reading these posts. I hope none of these secrets gets solved. Thx

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Urban Smurf posted:

Maybe the question now should be which brand of mental illness will actualize a real find?

I hope to address that and other questions in the podcast.
This is a real opportunity, you could have the first podcast with its own entry in the DSM.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Neutrino posted:

The treasure isn't in jewels, or crappy buried porcelain casks. The treasure is I get is from reading these posts. I hope none of these secrets gets solved. Thx

The Secret

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m pretty sure Urban Smurf isn’t insane and might be the only one to turn puzzle solving into conceptual art.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
Every time I see this post resurface, I get excited that something has been found. But it boils down to “no. Broken wrist, Boston “

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

:cawg: you oughta know better by now

Snowy posted:

I’m pretty sure Urban Smurf isn’t insane and might be the only one to turn puzzle solving into conceptual art.
Fair enough, it's already better than a lot of high concept performance art...

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I believe a couple of the remaining casks will be located. But not all.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

I believe a couple of the remaining casks will be located. But not all.

which ones? LAy some Vegas-style odds on me

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There was a solution worked out in this thread several years ago for the Charleston cask that fits perfectly with every detail of the puzzle and would give a very precise dig location by triangulating between the arms of specific statues in White Point Gardens park at the tip of the Charleston peninsula.

The problem is, like a lot of other solutions, digging there without a permit would be a federal crime, and there's no way to get a permit unless you're an archaeologist doing an approved dig. Most of the remaining casks seem to fit that format -- there's some pretty decent theories out there, but they point to spots that are inaccessible for [reasons] or that have been extensively re-dug and re-landscaped in the intervening decades.

I doubt the guy who came up with this bullshit was terribly concerned about that when he did it, since otherwise it wouldn't be very hidden now would it? He did like you'd need to, which is go under the cover of darkness and find a quiet entry point, make a quick hole with a spade and be done with it. Security cameras might be far more common now than they were back whatever many years ago, but its still a park at night, its not going to be hard.

Or they've all been chewed up by industrial graders but how many parks have the budget or need to extensively chew up the land to replant or reseed it?

Sounds like a lazy argument by a quitter. If the theory is sound, go for it.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Sometimes a really good person
Fear is what has kept most of these from being solved. People are afraid they are going to spend 30 years in federal prison for digging a small hole in a park.

The worst thing that will happen is someone will come along and ask you to stop.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

They’re all in the coffins of dead celebrities.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong

Merlot Brougham posted:

Can I ask one question about the last podcast though? The episode 2 discussion casually assumes the Juneau statue is the "iconic city marker" in Milwaukee in order to fit the "direction and turn" theory. Why isn't City Hall the iconic city marker for the Milwaukee image? Am I missing something with that one? I am a big fan of the work you guys are doing through, particularly your perspective. I feel simple is good.

burnstyle posted:

I think John might have misspoke. I'm not sure. I would have to listen to it again.

Again, love the work you're doing *suckle, suckle*. For the most part, I think the podcast agrees with what would be considered "Consensus Theories" about the location of the remaining casks.

I do think there's just a tad bit of smug assumption on certain clues your pals dangle out there but are only apparently accepted as fact within your sooper sekret group because I've been around for a bit and I don't see them on Q4T or here yet they're hinted at in the podcast with a wink and a nod to those in the club. I'm not sure what the goal is with that.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 29, 2018

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Merlot Brougham posted:

Again, love the work you're doing *suckle, suckle*. For the most part, I think the podcast agrees with what would be considered "Consensus Theories" about the location of the remaining casks.

I do think there's just a tad bit of smug assumption on certain clues your pals dangle out there but are only apparently accepted as fact within your sooper sekret group because I've been around for a bit and I don't see them on Q4T or here yet they're hinted at in the podcast with a wink and a nod to those in the club. I'm not sure what the goal is with that.

Yeah, like wtf is the Roanoke rebus? I'm obsessive about this, but missed whereever that was discussed

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

say no to bats posted:

Or they've all been chewed up by industrial graders but how many parks have the budget or need to extensively chew up the land to replant or reseed it?

Even if they stayed relatively undisturbed wouldn't the casks be mostly crushed to dust by now?

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
And then the casket begins to leak
And the worms crawl in, the worms crawl out
The worms play pinochle on your snout
They eat your eyes, they eat your nose
They eat the jelly between your toes
A big green worm with rolling eyes
Crawls in your stomach and out your eyes
Your stomach turns a slimy green
And puss comes out like whipping cream

...holy poo poo there's one in Des Moines!!

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

Merlot Brougham posted:

I agree with you. Though I am not in John's facebook group. I was once but I left. I'll try and minimize that in the future. or at least explain what they are talking about if something comes up.
If you have any questions about stuff in the last couple episodes let me know and I'll explain them too.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yeah, like wtf is the Roanoke rebus? I'm obsessive about this, but missed whereever that was discussed

John (and quite a few other people to be fair) thinks this is a rebus

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

burnstyle posted:

Ugh, I was in Belkwatch over Christamas. If I had known i would have dug.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I thought the rebus was going to be that the suit of armor kind of looks like a Robot, and another name for a robot is an android, and the jokes on you for trying to find a rebus here.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

burnstyle posted:

Mm...the problem with this kind of thing is that we have plenty of cryptic clues already, from Preiss, and we know that if we solve those we solve the puzzle.

Everyone likes to play puzzlemaster when they get involved in treasure hunts like this, and put out their own cryptic clues, but if they're ever explained, they usually turn out to be BS.

Not a fan.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

BJG posted:

Mm...the problem with this kind of thing is that we have plenty of cryptic clues already, from Preiss, and we know that if we solve those we solve the puzzle.

Everyone likes to play puzzlemaster when they get involved in treasure hunts like this, and put out their own cryptic clues, but if they're ever explained, they usually turn out to be BS.

Not a fan.

I whole heartedly agree with you. I think the painting just gets you to a city And park. The verse gets you to the treasure.

Imo once you have the city and park you don't need the painting. It may help... But it isn't needed.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
burnstyle, are you still taking GPR to Charleston, as you mentioned in the podcast?

If so, I bet you find it. That Maine location seems like a winner, it's easy to dig, and I bet sand is better for scanning because it's less dense and packs more evenly.

Best of luck! I think this is the best shot at a casque in a long while

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
I did go back to charelston.

That sand is actually the hardest thing to dig... Because while it's soft for the first few inches, after that It's a really hard mixture of sand and clay. It's like trying to dig through concrete.

burnstyle fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 2, 2018

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
New podcast in about 4 days?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

burnstyle posted:

I did go back to charelston.

That sand is actually the hardest thing to dig... Because while it's soft for the first few inches, after that It's a really hard mixture of sand and clay. It's like trying to dig through concrete.

... aaaaand that made the reward all the more sweet when you finally got down to the casque

GREAT JOB! We did it, everyone! World's best cup of coffee!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

burnstyle posted:

You will find nothing. Indeed, you will never leave your basement to visit wherever the gently caress this is supposed to be.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You will find nothing. Indeed, you will never leave your basement to visit wherever the gently caress this is supposed to be.

When is your interview on the podcast? I'd love to hear that.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

Herv posted:

New podcast in about 4 days?

It's up now.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

burnstyle posted:

What do the think this says?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

burnstyle posted:

It's up now.

I like this one. Lively guests really round out the two hosta more by-the-books style. The Cleveland guys are really funny

"He's not my boyfriend. We're uhhh."
"WE'RE DIGGING UP TREASURE CHECK OUT THIS MAP AND-"
"You know what, he is my boyfriend, lets just move on"

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

Drunk Nerds posted:

I like this one. Lively guests really round out the two hosta more by-the-books style. The Cleveland guys are really funny

"He's not my boyfriend. We're uhhh."
"WE'RE DIGGING UP TREASURE CHECK OUT THIS MAP AND-"
"You know what, he is my boyfriend, lets just move on"

You would have loved the banter before we recorded. Andy couldn't figure out how to join a 4 way Skype call, and I wasn't in his a dress book.

Brian kept asking him over and over "Andy do you know how to ask someone to be your friend"

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Whoops mistyped while pooping at work.
I meant "I love this one." I like all of them, so far.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
This find on the door of the Golden Gate Park senior center has me pretty excited:

I don't think there's ever been a closer match for, well, anything in this baffling image. Also, the post he's holding looks enough like the post under the tables, and the door itself resembles the door on the mountain in the SF image enough to convince me this is an unprecedented match

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Drunk Nerds posted:

This find on the door of the Golden Gate Park senior center has me pretty excited:

I don't think there's ever been a closer match for, well, anything in this baffling image. Also, the post he's holding looks enough like the post under the tables, and the door itself resembles the door on the mountain in the SF image enough to convince me this is an unprecedented match

I think you may be reaching. The one on the right looks like a serpent and the wings are different.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Piggy Smalls posted:

I think you may be reaching. The one on the right looks like a serpent and the wings are different.

I certainly wouldn't be the first, although lots of the images seem to have these chimera-like statue creations, where only parts of a statue were recreated in the image. I think this certainly has enough parts in common, plus the other similarities (the door and the post are not all exact matches, but they are close to the closest ones I've ever seen.)

I emailed the art/museum director of the building. Maybe they'll say that sculpture wasn't there in 1982, in which case we'll know for sure. Still, it's a closer match than we've found in years

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 8, 2018

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

It's a testament to this thread that I can't tell serious solutions from someone taking the piss

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

CrashCat posted:

It's a testament to this thread how poorly the author set up the exact dig location vs how many times they hammer home the general area that I can't tell serious solutions from someone taking the piss

FTFT

It's driving us crazy too. Buncha obvious references to a city, park, or even a street. So we get our baseline calibrated as "hey this puzzlemaker put a lot of effort and all solutions should be streamlined" but then the end game is "ehhh, I kinda had to rush to bury these clandestinely and so the discovered ones weren't quite where the clues led and/or time has wiped most final dig spot clues"

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Okay, so now we have a saga. The JoshCornell account poster on Q4T who declared he had found every casque, asked to sleep on people's couches, then cursed constantly at anyone... has flown to Orlando from (I think) Canada. They are planning to dig Houston tomorrow. I should mention that another poster constantly showed him overheads of where he was going to dig, saying "IT'S A PARKING LOT, NOW!" over and over, to a resounding chorus of "nuh-uh" from JC

Not an armchair Psych, but this really feels like a Muerte situation.