Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Only thing better than a pink tile mid-century bathroom is a mid-century bathroom with naked lady wallpaper. This is totally going to go into my thesis that I will never write about how MCM was an architectural response to the repression of sexuality in the 40s/50s.

(If this is NSFW let me know and I'll link it lol)

Rest of the house is neat too, and gloriously untouched since 1962

Of course there is also a pink tile bathroom upstairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
good taste in furniture, i approve

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Is that a giant hourglass, or is it just a regular hourglass on a table that's just out of frame?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Hourglass table, my nan had one and it lasts 30 minutes. you flip the whole thing when you are playing your amusing 1950s party games such as “p for purple” so that they stay amusing and don’t drag on for chuffing hours.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
That wallpaper (actually the whole house) loving rules. Of course, I was also just looking for Gustave Courbet prints for my walls, so my taste is questionable.

I also like pretty much all of the bathrooms on the last few pages. If I had place of my own I'd definitely look into doing a bathroom all pink or having avocado fixtures.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Maybe millennials could afford houses if they didn't spend all their money on avocado fixtures.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

50 Shades of Mid-Century Pink Bathrooms

This one's definitely :nws:

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Love em. Especially that pink and green one.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I don't think I could get past the 'public restroom in a nice restaurant' vibe in this one. Something about the sink & countertop combined with that floor.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Haifisch posted:

I don't think I could get past the 'public restroom in a nice restaurant' vibe in this one. Something about the sink & countertop combined with that floor.

The house it comes from is straight out of a David Lynch film

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Holy poo poo. That all completely rules (except for the lovely panel ceiling lights, I hate those to hell)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
So, approximately 2/3 of our basement is finished, and that 2/3 is half den. Due to some water damage we had to rip out a chunk of carpet and I replaced it with faux wood, as I don't like carpet anyway but wanted something waterproof in case we have another issue. I would have replaced more of the carpet but the underlying slab is graded toward the back of the house, and only the den area has a leveled subfloor and I didn't want to get into more construction. I'm sort of kicking myself about that right now, since it would have been a fairly straight-forward DIY project and we could have used some self-leveling concrete to get rid of the irregularities in the already-completed portion, but that's another matter.

Anyway, as my parents and my in-laws are likely to be spending a good amount of time with us, I'd like to partition off the room a bit more. Here's what we're dealing with from a few angles.

Not well visualized -- on the far left of the first picture and on the right / off-frame of the latter two pictures, my weight bench and dumbbell set are pushed off to the side to free up living space, and beside the bathroom door (seen on the last picture with the outside door beside it) is a floor-to-ceiling mirror array for when using said weights. As a result, any divider has to be able to be moved out of that area. Additionally, the cheap speaker stands are only temporary.

What I'm thinking of doing is putting some shelving (maybe only 18" to 24" wide) on either side of the column so the speakers have a place to live. Then I'd put a track on the ceiling for floor-to-ceiling blackout curtains that could be pulled out to separate out the den area. Alternatively -- and I almost hate even to say it -- would this be a place where hanging door panels would be appropriate? Not goddamned reclaimed barn doors or anything.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You could also mount a soundbar as your front speakers, it would look better than having shelves hanging off the column.

Or, try putting the speakers above or under the TV. The fundamental problem is that column is too small for such large speakers and there’s no easy way out.

I think it’s going to look funny from the other sides of the column. That space isn’t wide enough for your setup.

At a glance I don’t think a hinge door would be a good idea, but I’m having a hard time visualizing it.

e: might try putting the speakers on the credenza too

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

This is for orgies.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Then I'd put a track on the ceiling for floor-to-ceiling blackout curtains that could be pulled out to separate out the den area.

Heavy curtains are the ticket here, they'll pull open towards the central pillar and sit behind the speakers as they are now, no changes needed.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It kind of reminds me of a family room in a hospital as it is now, personally I would add a really big houseplant in a big pot on the floor, bring some life and colour in to it. Failing that, a cat.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

Holy poo poo. That all completely rules (except for the lovely panel ceiling lights, I hate those to hell)

Yeah, suspended ceilings/grids of fluorescent lights do not belong in a residential setting.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

These give me a feeling like a flashback to a previous life in which I was murdered.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

there wolf posted:

This was pretty much my childhood, and dealing with the increasing density from expanding suburbs was interesting.

Yeah, the 15 acres I grew up on is lots in a subdivision now. One of my uncles sold the property after my grandparents died.

there wolf posted:

Mine was a classic pink and black from the fifties.

This palate, not this nice.

Ultimately we should all be grateful we never had to live with this

That pink, black, and white looks good to me. I'd never do it in a new house, but it's got some striking contrast.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 29, 2018

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, the 15 acres I grew up on is lots in a subdivision now. One of my uncles sold the property after my grandparents died.

That pink, black, and white looks good to me. I'd never do it in a new house, but it's got some striking contrast.

32 acres and it's now an elementary school. Hold out long enough and the state comes with a checkbook.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
An article on the historic Wrigley Mansion in Chicago. Definitely take the photo tour.
http://abc7chicago.com/realestate/chicagos-historic-wrigley-mansion-sells-for-$465m-/3003534/

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

An article on the historic Wrigley Mansion in Chicago. Definitely take the photo tour.
http://abc7chicago.com/realestate/chicagos-historic-wrigley-mansion-sells-for-$465m-/3003534/

That's nice, but I can't help feeling that if I could somehow afford a $5+mil home I wouldn't want to have to gently caress with something on the Historic Register (like one of those Frank Lloyd Wright homes that haven't been touched in 60 years). It just seems like way too much extra hassle if you want to do any modernizing to the place.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

8one6 posted:

That's nice, but I can't help feeling that if I could somehow afford a $5+mil home I wouldn't want to have to gently caress with something on the Historic Register (like one of those Frank Lloyd Wright homes that haven't been touched in 60 years). It just seems like way too much extra hassle if you want to do any modernizing to the place.

If you can swing $5m, you can afford to hire the people who can modernize something like that while keeping it in line with the original style.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Also presumably people who would buy a $5m listed building would not want to modernise it, or they'd buy/build a modern building.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Why does the public's nostalgic butthurt get to stop the owner of a private residence from installing an IH stove?

If "It belongs in a museum!!!" then make it a museum. I like pretty buildings but I'm also very sympathetic towards residents who want a comfortable and functional house.
But ya basically normal people won't/can't buy those places anyway, hail satan.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

Why does the public's nostalgic butthurt get to stop the owner of a private residence from installing an IH stove?

If "It belongs in a museum!!!" then make it a museum. I like pretty buildings but I'm also very sympathetic towards residents who want a comfortable and functional house.
But ya basically normal people won't/can't buy those places anyway, hail satan.

The UK government agrees with you: http://historicengland.org.uk/advice/your-home/

But as to why it happens in the first place, this is their broad mantra: http://historicengland.org.uk/advice/constructive-conservation/conservation-principles/

The historic world is seen as on par with the natural world, i.e. it's a finite set of irreplaceable things and you have to be careful about destroying part of it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Funnily enough, when you posted this one in the crappy construction thread I thought "Doesn't that belong in the ID thread?", then I saw why.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, there’s always crossover between these two threads, but that one was too good for this thread to NOT cross post. :haw:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Don't poo poo where you eat! :mad:

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Is that a pie in your pocket?

I know this post is from a few pages back. I am just wondering if anyone can tell me specifically what style of hanging lights these are called where the wires are anchored into the wall and the lights dangle down?

Thanks

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

IKillForPie posted:

I know this post is from a few pages back. I am just wondering if anyone can tell me specifically what style of hanging lights these are called where the wires are anchored into the wall and the lights dangle down?

Thanks

wire track lighting

or, apparently cable lighting

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I thought that was pendant lighting? :shrug:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I thought that was pendant lighting? :shrug:

well, those are pendants hanging from the wire track system ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Is that a pie in your pocket?
That's awesome though thanks, gives me enough to do some research :)

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

How is a house built in 1890 such a perfect 1970s time capsule? I think that was the only time when carpeted kitchens were remotely acceptable.

Naturally the bathrooms are carpeted too

seriously these fuckers loved their crazy carpets

Only $65,000 though and at least you know there's nice hardwood floors underneath.

The setting is a tad depressing however. Comes with a free dilapidated old garage, they just built another garage and driveway right in front instead of paying to demolish it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Really, the biggest downside is it's in some tiny rear end town in the middle of loving nowhere.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Imagine cleaning that. Not just the carpets, but all that brick in the splash zone for various cooking surfaces. :gonk:

I'm also more amused than I should be at the two-chair microisland.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'd like the kitchen more if the work triangle wasn't so absurdly acute.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I can't imagine those are real bricks in the kitchen given the ratio of brick to pug, so maybe it's a more easily cleanable finish? Maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Even if it's not real grit, there's an awful lot of effectively-grout to deal with. Looking at the right wall in the second picture, the 'bricks' definitely don't seem to be flush with the mortar.