Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Around the time Knuckle shows up is when Chimera Arc starts getting good (it's still pretty good as a manga compared to its peers before that) and by the end it's just bizarrely great.

good opinions. Chimera ant is better the more knuckle is on screen at any one time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Knuckle Bine, voiced by the same person as Best Bro Okuyasu

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

voltcatfish posted:

sounds like viz sucks

or that its how togashi wrote it in the manga and databook and they just translated it as is

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ha ha, while you guys are competing for the monstrous catgirl i'm gonna marry knuckle

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

drjuggalo posted:

or that its how togashi wrote it in the manga and databook and they just translated it as is

It was not written that way. Pitou had no gender pronouns given to her in the manga. Viz when first seeing Pitou decided to assume Male and kept it that way even as Pitou's femininity became more clear. The Anime used Pitou's most recent disign from the start giving Pitou a clear bust and hips.

All official material recently released refers to Pitou as a female.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
pitou is the same gender as kurapika duh

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Roland Jones posted:

Prior to that, her personality is mostly a sort of playful, amoral... Not sadism, but, well, she enjoys "playing" with people and experimenting on them and stuff. Kind of, well, like a cat, appropriately enough. She winds up developing over the course of the arc, it's just less obvious since she's in the background more and she isn't as insane as Pouf.

I think Pitou's emotional development was really obvious by the end, as early Pitou would absolutely not have apologized to Gon nor said "If this human dies, his majesty will no longer be his majesty."

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

It was not written that way. Pitou had no gender pronouns given to her in the manga. Viz when first seeing Pitou decided to assume Male and kept it that way even as Pitou's femininity became more clear. The Anime used Pitou's most recent disign from the start giving Pitou a clear bust and hips.

All official material recently released refers to Pitou as a female.

yeah pitou goes through like 4 iterations or some poo poo

So that's basically intro Pitou vs End-game Pitou.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

It was rough at times following the manga as it was coming out, but reading it all together or watching it in the anime, I think the timer in that arc is incredibly hype.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:

:discourse:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

Knuckle Bine, voiced by the same person as Best Bro Okuyasu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cFpXLTDEqU

TheDead1
Aug 12, 2007
https://imgur.com/a/A5Wrg
Uhh so no one has posted this yet it's some translation of 371, what was up with that ending.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its the holy grail war when you die your soul goes into the cup

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheDead1 posted:

https://imgur.com/a/A5Wrg
Uhh so no one has posted this yet it's some translation of 371, what was up with that ending.

I'm not sure, but there's fourteen princes and fourteen pods, so, the king might be planning something involving all his children dying? Or maybe the fourteenth is for him and it'll benefit the eventual victor. There's really not much to go on.

Also interesting is (note, this is going based on the leaks that were posted earlier as well as this, since this translation's pretty rough) Kurapika's theory that someone withdrawing might break the condition for the battle. I have a feeling that's not going to be how it works, since among other things the king didn't seem perturbed by Halkenberg's declaration a few chapters ago, but we'll see.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 27, 2018

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I don't think a single person is gonna change things by withdrawing on account of this thing going on for several centuries. Nen is powered by conviction and theres a huge stockpile of it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I both love and hate how complicated this arc is.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
good chapter

drjuggalo fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 27, 2018

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

I don't think a single person is gonna change things by withdrawing on account of this thing going on for several centuries. Nen is powered by conviction and theres a huge stockpile of it.

It could be that it's always been a requirement for the bodies of all the participating candidates to be used for the purpose of fueling the pot? The way the final room is laid out, I believe the pot is contained in the center of the formation. We still don't fully understand the rules here, we only know that it's possible for an object to contain the aura of it's creator if they put their effort and willpower into it. But that was just putting traces of their aura into it, not something as complex as being a factory for nen-beast seeds and an emitted fairy.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm glad that that I can continue reading about my friend Kurapica trying to unfuck this mess he's gotten himself involved with.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Leorio will somehow end up being the next king

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

mabels big day posted:

It'd fit with him almost becoming president of the Hunter Association.

From now on, every arc ends with Leorio attaining a position of ever greater power, then giving it away.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait for Kurapika to die and then we can just enjoy the phantom troupe wrecking poo poo instead.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

mabels big day posted:

Leorio: "ey, Kurapika, take 5 and shut the gently caress up aye?"
Everyone else: "yep, got my vote."

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
For a guy who was almost elected under the platform of "I spent the last year jerking off", Punching Gin in the face, and telling everyone he's going to use the Organization for his own desires. I can believe that he will luck his way into the throne of Kakin.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Mafia Families Shuu-u, Ei-i and Sha-a.
Togashi is a cheeky bastard.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

JamMasterJim posted:

Mafia Families Shuu-u, Ei-i and Sha-a.
Togashi is a cheeky bastard.

Is it a reference to something, or is the joke just the repeated vowels?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Silver2195 posted:

The publishers of Weekly Shounen Jump and a FUCKTON of other magazines / video games. Narita did the same thing with the main mafia group in Durarara!!.

Taking the piss of your publishers is a well-established fashion for manga / anime / novel writers.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

its the company that owns WSJ

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Can't wait for the Spiders to kill one of the princes and throw a spanner into Kurapika's plans while hunting for Hisoka

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

For a guy who was almost elected under the platform of "I spent the last year jerking off", Punching Gin in the face, and telling everyone he's going to use the Organization for his own desires. I can believe that he will luck his way into the throne of Kakin.

hes gonna gently caress one of the princes and get shotgun weddingd

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'd completely forgotten the Spiders were on board and I can't wait for this mess to blow up

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
I second the theory of that guard with the hearts in his dialogue being a disguised Hisoka, cause him being right under Kurapika's nose is a pro-move

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TurkeyFried posted:

I second the theory of that guard with the hearts in his dialogue being a disguised Hisoka, cause him being right under Kurapika's nose is a pro-move

when did he appear? i re-read the last few chapters but didn't see it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We have more solid translation now. https://readms.net/r/hunter_x_hunter/371/4844/1

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Well, it reads better but it’s Mangastream so I’m not sure if it’s more accurate.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Well, it reads better but it’s Mangastream so I’m not sure if it’s more accurate.

The earlier speed one we got had a guy say the opposite of what he meant.

Not a huge Mangastream fan but this is better then the earlier one.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/hunter-x-hunter/en/0/371/page/1

Here's a third option if the other two don't feel sufficient.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh Cool Jaimini is doing hunter now.

Edit:It's pretty bad.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 29, 2018

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sasuga.

Also, Hisoka's height is 187 cm, so I wonder what the 190 cm thing is about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh Cool Jaimini is doing hunter now.

Edit:It's pretty bad.

Yeah, I was going to say, their MHA translations are good but this is really stilted and weird. The MS translation is actually better, or at least feels considerably more natural.