Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

FileNotFound posted:

You can get great deals on them because they are pieces of loving poo poo:

http://www.dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Kia_Optima.html

Yup. Good car. Buy it. Don't get the Mazda 6 or Accord that's 1 year older - because the Kia is just as good.

I have never heard of this site before you brought it up. There's having problems with how Consumer Reports, TrueDelta, JD Power collect their data, and then there's having data that is a total outlier. That site's data also suggests that a Chrysler Sebring is more reliable than a Mazda 6, and a Chrysler Cirrus is more reliable than a Honda Accord. Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good to know that the dodge viper is the most reliable sports car ever made: http://www.dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Dodge_Viper.html

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In the aggregate there was probably a small number of issues.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Godzilla07 posted:

I have never heard of this site before you brought it up. There's having problems with how Consumer Reports, TrueDelta, JD Power collect their data, and then there's having data that is a total outlier. That site's data also suggests that a Chrysler Sebring is more reliable than a Mazda 6, and a Chrysler Cirrus is more reliable than a Honda Accord. Really?

Cirrus has 375 cars in their data set. Their data is only as good as their dataset.

First Gen of Mazda 6 sucked which is why their rating is garbage. 2nd get Mazdaspeed6 also sucked - I know that one for a fact as I had one. (Smoking turbos, LSDs that snapped off the mounts, axles broke, power steering coolers rusted away, aluminum AC lines were clamped in place with metal retaining clips). Mazda got their poo poo together and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend their recent offerings but I wouldn't touch anything before 2010.

As far their data:

quote:

Where does your data come from?
Our data is provided by a partnership with a national network of used car auctions, which allows us to get information on vehicles from all across the country with uniform reporting standards.

So the data is from used car auctions? What if you're just getting crummy vehicles that people dump off, won't that skew the data?
We add thousands of new vehicles to our database every week, and while it's certainly possible that someone could send a "lemon" to auction, the volume of vehicles being processed, and the standardized methods used to assess the vehicles, helps us protect against one or two bad owners throwing off our numbers.

I personally like that they source the data from auto auctions - because well...that's kinda where used cars tend to come from.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

powderific posted:

Good to know that the dodge viper is the most reliable sports car ever made: http://www.dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Dodge_Viper.html

Actually - I don't think that is inaccurate at all (and yes their dataset is tiny for Vipers). Older Vipers are extremely simple and reliable cars.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
Looks like we should be recommending the Golf R32 for buyers looking for a reliable compact!

http://dashboard-light.com/reports/Compact.html

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I enjoy how the MR2 and Mr2 are also different cars.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

FileNotFound posted:

I stand by the Lexus IS - it's a fantastic car even saddled with the crappy V6 it'll outlast a brand new Subaru despite being 5 years old and be cheaper to ow

Good loving god. Why is there such a correlation between being an Audi owner and being an absolute objectively garbage poster in this thread?

At least the guy shopping for Saab wagons was funny. This is just shameful.

*Edit:

Thermopyle posted:

I'm a little hesitant about the source of their data, but I don't know enough about the used auto auction market (which is where their data comes from) to say for sure.

Auction data is pretty meaningless. The cars that go to auction are the crap that got repoed or wasn't good enough for the dealer, or was driven into the ground, or was owned by a drug dealer or something. Well-maintained stuff does show up at auctions when a dealer dumps trades, but that's not the norm.

Unload My Head fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 27, 2018

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.
I'm going to buy a used truck within the next year. I've been browsing craigslist to get an idea of whats in my price range, mainly looking at F150. It seems I can get 10 year old with 100,000 or a 5 year old truck with 150,000. In general, what would be the better option? I live in the Northeast, so rust is a concern.

I have tools, and do all non-major repairs myself.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Mons Public posted:

In general, what would be the better option?

A Silverado.

But seriously, in the rust belt you buy based on how much of the fenders still exist, and generally newer is better for that.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.

Yeah, there are just so many f150s out there, I figure I can find something decent if I look hard enough.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve also been looking at trucks and the Nissan titans look pretty good even though they weren’t originally on my radar. Caveat that I’m still looking and have no first hand experience. There was only one engine and transmission option from like 2004 to 2015 and both are good and that consistency also means that the list of known issues is pretty easy to wrap you head around.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
My girlfriend had her Kia Soul (which she loved) stolen last week, and when they found the thing the assholes who stole it trashed it to the point that it was totaled. She’s not a car person and is more concerned with cost, utility, and reliability than anything else. My idea of a low cost, sensible car is a V6 Mustang, so I turn to you guys for help.

Proposed Budget: $9,000 or less
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Either a small SUV, hatchback, or crossover ideally. She likes to be able to carry poo poo.
How will you be using the car? Primarily to commute, about 20 minutes each way in traffic. We also have a baby on the way, and this would be our family car, since I have the aforementioned sensible V6 Mustang. So ideally it’s easy to load a munchkin into a car seat.
What aspects are most important to you? Price, reliability, longevity, safety, (fun to drive when I need to drive it ohgodplease)

We’re in the Austin area and have found a number of Priuses and Fits on Craiglist, both of which seem to get high marks here. With those in mind, are there any gotchas on either car to look out for? Also, any other options that aren’t as obvious to look for? I think we saw a few Cruzes, but I’m leery of American cars pre-2011.

I wish the CX-3 weren’t brand new, because I think that’d be ideal.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Sure, the Fit and the Prius are good cars for your use case - the Fit is probably easier to deal with a car seat because it’s taller, has a great rear-seat flip-down mode and a hatchback, but Prius’s are easier to find. Both are reliable and have low TCO.

The Fit is a ton more fun to drive though, especially the manual-trans version. If you go that route, try to find a Sport, it has some sport-oriented suspension upgrades.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
We’ve been looking at this one: https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/2013-honda-fit-sport-61k-miles/6472304265.html

Obviously need to get the VIN etc, but price wise it looks hard to beat for the mileage.

Also found this: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=476091524

It’s up in Dallas but the price seems good. If the link doesn’t load, it’s $8,000 plus tax/title at a dealership and has 31k miles.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

If a hands-on inspection and a Carfax comes out clean, either look fine. I have 135K miles on my 2012 Fit Sport without a single repair, just normal maintenance , and if you do your own basic servicing, they’re very straightforward cars to work on.

I think I only had a single Fit ever towed in to my service bay at work, it had over 300K miles and the fuel pump died. Fortunately, the fuel pump on a Fit is accessed through the center-console, so instead of removing a muddy fuel tank from under the car, I sat comfortably in the driver’s seat, listening to the radio as I changed it.

Only hassle with them is that Fits take a really odd-size battery that’s a little too small, so replace it before it fucks up completely, otherwise you’ll be calling every drat auto parts store in a hundred-mile radius trying to find one NOW.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Weren’t there some years that had water intrusion issues? I’m assuming it was early on.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Monkey Wrangler posted:

We’ve been looking at this one: https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/2013-honda-fit-sport-61k-miles/6472304265.html

Obviously need to get the VIN etc, but price wise it looks hard to beat for the mileage.

Edit: nevermind, on closer inspection that might not be the same Fit I inspected a few months back that needed the airbags redone. If you need help in this area, send me a PM.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 27, 2018

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

MC Hawking posted:

Edit: nevermind, on closer inspection that might not be the same Fit I inspected a few months back that needed the airbags redone. If you need help in this area, send me a PM.

Thanks for the offer! We’re still waiting on paperwork/payout for the Soul, but when we get that sorted, I may take you up on that.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

powderific posted:

Weren’t there some years that had water intrusion issues? I’m assuming it was early on.

The first generation had issues with the sealant. Here's a brief explanation of the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ2uFkQqMug&t=104s

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 28, 2018

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

powderific posted:

Yeah, it was the very early models and I think there was a fix for it. Also, 2007’s got a bad batch of ignition coils(which affected all Hondas that used the L-series engines), but I can’t imagine that they haven’t all been fixed by now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

FileNotFound posted:

This is your good idea:
http://www.dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Subaru_Impreza.html

This is my bad idea:
http://www.dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Lexus_IS.html

I stand by the Lexus IS - it's a fantastic car even saddled with the crappy V6 it'll outlast a brand new Subaru despite being 5 years old and be cheaper to own - even with it's "lovely AWD" and inefficient engine.

You can get great deals on them because they are pieces of loving poo poo:

http://www.dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Kia_Optima.html

Yup. Good car. Buy it. Don't get the Mazda 6 or Accord that's 1 year older - because the Kia is just as good.

Site is interesting but not splitting the data by power train is awful.

trebuchet_tom
Dec 17, 2003
SO FULL OF HATE! Or is that hunger? DAMMIT! I can never tell the difference. Oh well, I'll just go kill some classmates I don't like, and if I don't feel better, I'll eat something.
Hi folks, hoping to get some recommendations on my first car purchase in over a decade!

Proposed Budget: $3,000
Body Style: Hatchback, probably. Definitely want a manual.
How will you be using the car?: It will be "my car", my wife and I currently share one. I will use it for the occasional weekend errands, camping/hiking trips, and the occasional day when I have to drive to a distant client site for work. She'll use it as a backup if her car is misbehaving.
What aspects are most important to you? I'd like some basic bad road competence. I've gotten creative with Civics and Neons to get to campsite and trailheads before, but I'd rather not repeat those adventures. I'd love for it to have a clutch forgiving enough to teach my wife on, she has only used automatics in the past.

I haven't owned a car in over 5 years, and I drive <30 times each year. I just want to be able to go hiking/camping without bumming a ride every single time. I'm fine with a total beater, it will not see a lot of use. I like smaller cars, rather than SUVs or trucks, and between the two of us, we just don't have that much gear to carry. I live in Denver, CO, and the default answer here seems to be a mid 2000s Subaru Outback with a bunch of miles. I'm open to that, but curious what other options I should be looking at.

trebuchet_tom fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 29, 2018

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

trebuchet_tom posted:

Hi folks, hoping to get some recommendations on my first car purchase in over a decade!

Proposed Budget: $3,000
Body Style: Hatchback, probably. Definitely want a manual.
How will you be using the car?: It will be "my car", my wife and I currently share one. I will use it for the occasional weekend errands, camping/hiking trips, and the occasional day when I have to drive to a distant client site for work. She'll use it as a backup if her car is misbehaving.
What aspects are most important to you? I'd like some basic bad road competence. I've gotten creative with Civics and Neons to get to campsite and trailheads before, but I'd rather not repeat those adventures. I'd love for it to have a clutch forgiving enough to teach my wife on, she has only used automatics in the past.

I haven't owned a car in over 5 years, and I drive <30 times each year. I just want to be able to go hiking/camping without bumming a ride every single time. I'm fine with a total beater, it will not see a lot of use. I like smaller cars, rather than SUVs or trucks, and between the two of us, we just don't have that much gear to carry. I live in Denver, CO, and the default answer here seems to be a mid 2000s Subaru Outback with a bunch of miles. I'm open to that, but curious what other options I should be looking at.

We're the early 2000s CRVs reliable? Pre 2006 they could be had with a manual, and they are pretty spacious for the size.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Your budget is so low that it will be hard to find something that is exactly perfect.

Comedy option: Import a 25 year rule'd Fiat Panda 4x4 (or a Lada Niva 4x4 if you're really insane).

trebuchet_tom
Dec 17, 2003
SO FULL OF HATE! Or is that hunger? DAMMIT! I can never tell the difference. Oh well, I'll just go kill some classmates I don't like, and if I don't feel better, I'll eat something.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Your budget is so low that it will be hard to find something that is exactly perfect.

I hear this. It doesn't have to be all that perfect, but I could go up to $6000 if I really can't find anything that satisfies.

Edit:
I see things like this and wonder if I'm being an idiot thinking that it will serve my needs pretty much perfectly as long as he actually has all the maintenance records like he claims: https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/well-kept-2002-manual-subaru/6469411761.html

trebuchet_tom fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 29, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Something like that will do it. You will have maint cost regardless with a car that old.

trebuchet_tom
Dec 17, 2003
Makes sense. Do you think it would be worth it in the long term to bump my budget to $6000? Or would I have to go up higher than that to get something that will truly be low maintenance and easy to own?

I plan to have this car for at least a few years, just not use it frequently.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You drive so little that gas mileage really doesn't matter. I love me some hatchbacks, but honestly you sound like an actual valid use case for a small truck or SUV. Have you driven a Ranger or an XJ Cherokee?

And on the 3k vs 6k debate: In either of these price points, your biggest indicator of low ongoing costs (beyond not buying a goddamn Fiat) is prior-owner maintenance. It is possible, but not easy, to find a $3k-or-less vehicle that has been maintained well, consistently so, over its now likely 20+ year service life. It is much easier (but by no means guaranteed) to find this at a $6k-or-less price.

Of course, I can speak from experience, that even a mint $6k Jeep will hunger for parts on a regular basis. :v:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You say you're using a car less than 30 times a year. I would price out what it would cost to rent or car share those instances and see if it is worth it. Car storage, maintenance, car insurance for another car - it might make sense depending on how often and how long you need a car for.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I'm looking at a 2007 Toyota Highlander with the V6 with 60k miles. I know it's old, but the miles are low, anything I should be on the lookout for aside from rust and poo poo?

Asking price is 13k.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Proposed Budget: €20,000
New or Used: New
Body Style: 5 Door Estate/Station Wagon
How will you be using the car?: Supermarket, occasional road trips
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? GPS and reverse camera
What aspects are most important to you? Cost of ownership/maintenance

My parents are retiring to a small town in Spain and they're looking for a comfortable station wagon for supermarket runs and the occasional road trip within the country. Their requirements are an automatic transmission (Americans, I know), diesel engine, GPS and reverse camera. From my research so far, it looks like the Skoda Octavia Combi (Octavia Estate in the UK) is perfect for them, but are there any other models they should consider? With discounts, it looks like they can get a loaded Octavia Combi in the "Ambition" trim with a 1.6 TDI and DSG for around €20,600. It looks like the Seat Leon ST, Peugeot 308 SW, Kia Cee'd SW and Opel Astra Sports Tourer are all competitive, but the Octavia is getting consistently great reviews.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Octavia is a decontented Golf platform (MQB) and is a very decent car. Usually the Skoda is less sporting and decontented compared to the VW or the SEAT equivalents and sold at a cheaper price. I'm not sold on the 1,6 as I think it's a little bit slow and not as well suited to the DSG. Not much disadvantage to the 2,0 150HP other than purchase price. SEAT will have somewhat better support in Spain in terms of parts availability and mechanical know-how, but MQB is MQB and you shouldn't have any issues.

The Cee'd is not as good, I would dismiss it outright. I like the 208 but haven't driven the 308, and not the SW version. The Astra is good, especially if you can get a good price on it. PSA are trying to move metal. You could also look at the Fiat Tipo, but I wouldn't recommend it if they want an auto. While the MultiJet II engine family is fantastic, the DCT is decidedly not good at all. Just learn to drive stick.

You could also consider the Renault Megane, but I think the DSG box in the VAG product is a lot better than anything else currently running. For whatever reason, VAG product is considered reliable in Europe despite being abject poo poo in the US.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Octavia is a decontented Golf platform (MQB) and is a very decent car. Usually the Skoda is less sporting and decontented compared to the VW or the SEAT equivalents and sold at a cheaper price. I'm not sold on the 1,6 as I think it's a little bit slow and not as well suited to the DSG. Not much disadvantage to the 2,0 150HP other than purchase price. SEAT will have somewhat better support in Spain in terms of parts availability and mechanical know-how, but MQB is MQB and you shouldn't have any issues.

Thanks for the info! I just checked local prices, and the Leon with the 2.0 is only a couple hundred more than the Octavia with the 1.6.

quote:

The Cee'd is not as good, I would dismiss it outright. I like the 208 but haven't driven the 308, and not the SW version. The Astra is good, especially if you can get a good price on it. PSA are trying to move metal. You could also look at the Fiat Tipo, but I wouldn't recommend it if they want an auto. While the MultiJet II engine family is fantastic, the DCT is decidedly not good at all. Just learn to drive stick.

You could also consider the Renault Megane, but I think the DSG box in the VAG product is a lot better than anything else currently running. For whatever reason, VAG product is considered reliable in Europe despite being abject poo poo in the US.

Yeah, it looks like the Astra's price has been drastically cut - fully loaded versions with the 1.6 CTDi are going for less than €18,000. They're also renting a Megane when they arrive, so I'll urge them to test the Octavia, Leon, 308 and Astra.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Astra is a fairly decent car. If your parents are price sensitive, a kitted out 1,6 at 18K is a very good value. If your parents are less price sensitive, I'd steer them towards that Leon 2,0 which I think is a very good car.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

trebuchet_tom posted:

I live in Denver, CO, and the default answer here seems to be a mid 2000s Subaru Outback with a bunch of miles. I'm open to that, but curious what other options I should be looking at.

A well-maintained Subaru Forester or Outback fits your needs perfectly. You should be able to find one with good records from a private seller for around 3k easily. It has a well-designed AWD system, many of them have a manual trans, and they are dead reliable as long as the timing belt is done every 100k and the factory headgasket has been replaced at some point in it's life.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Astra is a fairly decent car. If your parents are price sensitive, a kitted out 1,6 at 18K is a very good value. If your parents are less price sensitive, I'd steer them towards that Leon 2,0 which I think is a very good car.

Sounds good, thanks! The Octavia 2.0 is about €1,000 more expensive than the Leon 2.0 (and conversely, €1,000 less than the Golf Variant 2.0), so I guess it depends on whether they think the extra room is worth it.

On a side note, I'm driving a rental BMW 118i and it's a bit underpowered but a ton of fun. I could talk them into looking at a 116d, but it's smaller than the MQB vehicles...

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Sup goons~

Proposed Budget: 10k? Maybe a few more if a decent argument can be made?

Body Style: 4 door compact. Something resembling a Honda Fit would be awesome. If better options exist with slightly larger compact cars, I’m all game to listen. Automatic. I’m too lamestream to try manual.

How will you be using the car?: Drive to work. About 30 minutes each way. Some night driving on the weekends which I especially loathe.

What aspects are most important to you? Cost of ownership by far. I’ve had this 2002 hand-me-down Corolla forever and its physically falling apart. Still hasn’t stranded me or anything yet, but visually shot to all hell. Something a little more respectable to drive would be nice. Following cost of ownership, cruise control and power windows/locks would be good.

Other:Luxury desires would be Bluetooth connectivity so I can listen to music without having to mess around with my phone directly. I just want something newer. This thing makes all sorts of ungodly noises when I threaten to go past 60mph.

Also, I’m super risk adverse and am terrified of leaving the car lot and having my car blow up the next day. I am willing to pay substantially more if I know for certain the car isn’t a distaster. I’ve tried looking at CPOs since they seem to be the next best thing other than New, but the cheapest CPOs are like 13k and above. Is Carmax a reliable dealership or can I get screwed out of there too?

Itchy Tony Manero
Mar 29, 2010

The go-to answer for people with your budget and priorities is to get the nicest Prius they can find in their area for $10K. You’ll want a 2004 or newer model, the first generation is not worth looking at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Proposed Budget: $8-12k? I'm fine spending more if it costs less in the long run.

New or Used: Used (Ideally certified)

Body Style: 2 or 4 door, don't really have a strong preference as long as a 6'3" guy can fit without trouble. Automatic.

How will you be using the car?: 25min commute on back roads. Don't tow or need much cargo space however my driveway is a hill that historically non-AWD cars don't get out of when there is snow which there will be as I am in New England. Stuff like bluetooth or backup camera would be nice but not a big deal, otherwise don't care about gizmos.

What aspects are most important to you? Total cost of ownership, reliability/maintenance