Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BioEnchanted posted:

I've only seen the second half of the first Mad Max (walked in while my brother was watching it) and when the villain is defeated I didn't even notice what was meant to have happened, it's like the movie just stopped. Apparently he was supposed to have been ran over by a truck but I didn't see that happen at all. Of course this means that my only real exposure to the franchise was the PS4 game :v:

Subtle movie moment: the truck that ran over him had an obviously fake front

Legend has it that they bribed a truck driver $50 to run over the bike and the stunt dummy but he was worried that they'd mess up the front of his truck so the FX crew whipped up a quick metal shield and quickly painted it to look like the front of the truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Bogmonster posted:

As someone who has only ever seen Fury Road and Beyond Thunderdome, is Mad Max worth watching or should I just skip ahead to The Road Warrior?

It's okay. It's the only one where civilization is still collapsing as opposed to being rebuilt by survivors/warlords, but you'd basically be watching it for completion's sake.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Toecutter is a good villain tho.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The first one is actually amazing but it's real different from the rest and it's fuckin weird. Also it wasn't supposed to be post apocalyptic but they didn't have the budget to put all the cops in believable uniforms in a real office, so instead their chief is a leatherdaddy who works in a burnt out husk of a building.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Anyone who advises you to watch Mad Max is either lying, or hasn't watched it in 20 years. It's approximately 12 hours long, and apart from the first and last 5 minutes it consists of nothing but him going to the beach to eat ice cream with his family and scenes of people doing nothing.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

what about the classic scene where fifi mcaffe, previously named leather daddy australian cop, waters his plants in a Fallout 3 ruin while pontificating about the nature of The Road and Vengence to Max without his shirt on like your da used to.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Toecutter is a good villain tho.

And is literally the same actor that plays Immortan Joe.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

RLMhad a good take on it I thought when they rewatched Road Warrior, that it was good for what it was but has been made unnecessary and superseded in every respect by Fury Road.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

MichiganCubbie posted:

The Road Warrior had a dub? I knew Mad Max did, but I never knew that Road Warrior did.

No, it was Mad Max. I get them mixed up.

Road Warrior was solidly within America's brief love affair with Australia.

Cat Hatter posted:

It's okay. It's the only one where civilization is still collapsing as opposed to being rebuilt by survivors/warlords, but you'd basically be watching it for completion's sake.

Mad Max is actually pretty great, if only for the cool 70's era cars and motorcycles and weirdly homoerotic subtext. I do remember being disappointed that Max drives an automatic.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 00:59 on Jan 28, 2018

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

AFewBricksShy posted:

Terminator:Salvation is always the definition for me of an amazing trailer and an absolutely poo poo movie.

The one where the bursts of static on the camera slowly segue into the Terminator drums? That was wonderfully done.

Also a trailer that promised time-fuckery ("this is not the war my mother warned me about") that never emerged. There's a pattern here.

Shame that when we eventually got Terminator: Time-Fuckery it was hot garbage.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mad Max is based on the oil crisis of the early 70s. So it's basically set in the past from when it was made.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Krispy Wafer posted:

I do remember being disappointed that Max drives an automatic.

They didn't really have manual transmissions that could handle that kind of power back then, at least not for consumer applications.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

AFewBricksShy posted:

Terminator:Salvation is always the definition for me of an amazing trailer and an absolutely poo poo movie.

I've never watched the movie because apparently it's awful but I watch that trailer from time to time because it's so good

https://youtu.be/6GmLfivKQL8

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Mad Max is actually pretty great, if only for the cool 70's era cars and motorcycles and weirdly homoerotic subtext. I do remember being disappointed that Max drives an automatic.

The standard police cars were autos but the V8 Interceptor was 100% a manual.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Keith Atherton posted:

I've never watched the movie because apparently it's awful but I watch that trailer from time to time because it's so good

https://youtu.be/6GmLfivKQL8

Jesus that’s a great trailer. The actual movie it’s for was pretty bad, though. It’s not, like, genesys bad. But it’s bad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Airplane is a movie everyone has seen. However I've never seen the film it was based on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-v2BHNBVCs

The attention to detail in mimicking the original film, Zero Hour, is amazing.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Subtle movie moment: the truck that ran over him had an obviously fake front

Legend has it that they bribed a truck driver $50 to run over the bike and the stunt dummy but he was worried that they'd mess up the front of his truck so the FX crew whipped up a quick metal shield and quickly painted it to look like the front of the truck.

I thought the truck driver in the film world was being a cheeky bastard with a splatter shield painted up like that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Airplane is a movie everyone has seen. However I've never seen the film it was based on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-v2BHNBVCs

It was based on a bunch of films. Specifically Irwin Allen 70's disaster flicks like Towering Info, Earthquake and mainly Airport. There were like 3 or 4 airplane disaster movies alone. There was one about bees too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

It was based on a bunch of films. Specifically Irwin Allen 70's disaster flicks like Towering Info, Earthquake and mainly Airport. There were like 3 or 4 airplane disaster movies alone. There was one about bees too.

It was capitalizing on those and got a lot of tropes from them but Zero Hour was the inspiration and the plot is lifted wholesale from it. Including the protagonist's name.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Might be notable that a lot of movies, especially adaptations, follow the 'disaster movie' formula when they seem unsure or ashamed of the actual draw of the movie; 90s Godzilla, the first Bayformers movie come to mind.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

If I recall correctly, Zucker Abraham Zucker bought Zero Hour wholesale (it wasn't very expensive) just so they could parody it even more mercilessly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Paul.Power posted:

If I recall correctly, Zucker Abraham Zucker bought Zero Hour wholesale (it wasn't very expensive) just so they could parody it even more mercilessly.

That's exactly what the video I posted said. They pretty much take the script verbatim and the only changes are to throw a joke at the end of certain lines. I'm more impressed that some of the lines I figured were jokes were actually lines from the original film.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Everyone should read the Oral History of Airplane!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

It was capitalizing on those and got a lot of tropes from them but Zero Hour was the inspiration and the plot is lifted wholesale from it. Including the protagonist's name.

Well, color me informed. Thanks. I'll look for that book also.

Discussing Taxi Driver in another thread and remembered a scene where Travis is saying he needs to get a sign reading "One off These Days I'm Going to Get Organizized" Later on in the film, he has the poster in his apartment.

I've heard it posited that the ending is Travis' fever dream and that he actually died which I think makes a lot of sense. King of Comedy had a similar ending.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I would also recommend you read this, just so you know about Leslie Nielsen's successful career as a fart-machine salesman.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I have never seen Air Bud, but I just learned that in one scene, Air Bud eats five cans of Spaghetti-Os, and now I sort of want to see Air Bud, because that seems like a cool thing for a human or a dog to do.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, color me informed. Thanks. I'll look for that book also.

Discussing Taxi Driver in another thread and remembered a scene where Travis is saying he needs to get a sign reading "One off These Days I'm Going to Get Organizized" Later on in the film, he has the poster in his apartment.

I've heard it posited that the ending is Travis' fever dream and that he actually died which I think makes a lot of sense. King of Comedy had a similar ending.

I hate hate the "it was all a dream!" interpretation for Taxi Driver because it completely misses the dark satirical element -- Travis Bickle is still an intensely lonely and violent sociopath, but because he kills the "right" kind of people instead of say, a gubernatorial candidate, he's lauded as a hero. That's the real haunting part of Taxi Driver, not that Travis is just one crazy guy, but that under just the right circumstances, our society actually loves violent killers and perpetuates their being.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Mierenneuker posted:

I would also recommend you read this, just so you know about Leslie Nielsen's successful career as a fart-machine salesman.

Yes!

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Bogmonster posted:

As someone who has only ever seen Fury Road and Beyond Thunderdome, is Mad Max worth watching or should I just skip ahead to The Road Warrior?

I know we've moved on, but seeing Mad Max gives more weight and meaning to the periodic hallucinations Max has in Fury Road. You get to see his wife and daughter.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I hate hate the "it was all a dream!" interpretation for Taxi Driver because it completely misses the dark satirical element -- Travis Bickle is still an intensely lonely and violent sociopath, but because he kills the "right" kind of people instead of say, a gubernatorial candidate, he's lauded as a hero. That's the real haunting part of Taxi Driver, not that Travis is just one crazy guy, but that under just the right circumstances, our society actually loves violent killers and perpetuates their being.

Like who though? Bernie Goetz is the only person I can think of of that fits that mold. King of Comedy makes more sense along the lines you're suggesting, as far as hosed up losers becoming famous and given the modern nature of reality TV and poo poo like that. Not to mention our goofball President. KoC I almost bought but even that's a hard sell.

I dunno about Taxi Driver though.

I think the dream interpretation makes more sense actually. Tonally, it's really jarring for that film to have a happy ending and clashes with everything it was establishing to that point, which is a lost, socially aimless loser with a power fantasy adrift in a filthy amoral society. I love the movie but seriously can't think of a modern parallel to what you're describing.

I know that there's a celebrity element to certain serial killers but newspapers and books don't routinely make any of them heroes - or even sympathetic usually. Violent vigilantes either. You have any specific examples of people who wantonly shot up a drug dealing prostitution den and were lauded for it?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

rydiafan posted:

Anyone who advises you to watch Mad Max is either lying, or hasn't watched it in 20 years. It's approximately 12 hours long, and apart from the first and last 5 minutes it consists of nothing but him going to the beach to eat ice cream with his family and scenes of people doing nothing.

Behold, the wrongest man on earth

Krispy Wafer posted:

Mad Max is actually pretty great, if only for the cool 70's era cars and motorcycles and weirdly homoerotic subtext.

Subtext? How did you not notice that all Mad Max movies are helluva gay

BiggerBoat posted:

Does it change anything? Have you looked at the guy at the end of the movie? Does he look changed or redeemed in any way?

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 02:32 on Jan 30, 2018

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

hackbunny posted:

Example: Lord Humungus controls three gangs, that you can easily tell apart by their uniforms. You have his own gang, with uniforms similar to his, based on football pads and fetish gear; among these, you may remember his lieutenant, assless-chaps-wearing Wez, seeking revenge for the murder of his companion, the angelic Golden Boy. Then you have the Smegma Crazies, ex-military wearing fatigues and driving dune buggies; and the Gayboy Berserkers, ex-police who - just like Max - wear their old leathers and drive around in their old cruisers. As was the case with Toecutter, the sexuality of these gentlemen is never brought up, but I believe we might take an educated guess

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 02:54 on Jan 30, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

hackbunny posted:

There’s helluva gay and then there’s weirdly homoerotic. Mad Max is weirdly homoerotic. Like it probably makes gay guys uncomfortable. Even Max’s precinct captain looks like a backup for the Village People. An academic argument could be made that the Rockatansky’s represent the last traditional nuclear family and their demise signals the apocalypse in Road Warrior.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BiggerBoat posted:

Like who though? Bernie Goetz is the only person I can think of of that fits that mold. King of Comedy makes more sense along the lines you're suggesting, as far as hosed up losers becoming famous and given the modern nature of reality TV and poo poo like that. Not to mention our goofball President. KoC I almost bought but even that's a hard sell.

I dunno about Taxi Driver though.

I think the dream interpretation makes more sense actually. Tonally, it's really jarring for that film to have a happy ending and clashes with everything it was establishing to that point, which is a lost, socially aimless loser with a power fantasy adrift in a filthy amoral society. I love the movie but seriously can't think of a modern parallel to what you're describing.

I know that there's a celebrity element to certain serial killers but newspapers and books don't routinely make any of them heroes - or even sympathetic usually. Violent vigilantes either. You have any specific examples of people who wantonly shot up a drug dealing prostitution den and were lauded for it?

The whole message behind Taxi Driver's ending is that Travis hasn't changed at all and the same society that alienated and marginalized him now adores him because he shot a couple dudes from the same walk of life as himself instead of a senator, as he was originally planning to do. It's not a happy ending at all, Travis is still as paranoid and lonely as ever, and you're supposed to feel disgusted by the tonal shift. "It was all a dream" in addition to just being a lameass conclusion to any piece of media in general, just completely misses the point.

exquisite tea has a new favorite as of 02:57 on Jan 30, 2018

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Krispy Wafer posted:

There’s helluva gay and then there’s weirdly homoerotic. Mad Max is weirdly homoerotic. Like it probably makes gay guys uncomfortable. Even Max’s precinct captain looks like a backup for the Village People. An academic argument could be made that the Rockatansky’s represent the last traditional nuclear family and their demise signals the apocalypse in Road Warrior.

I believe I referred to him as Police Chief Leatherdaddy upthread. I dig this interpretation tho.

My headcanon is that the first movie is the only one that really "happened" and the other three are different campfire stories about the wasteland folk hero he became. Like a post-apocalyptic Paul Bunyan.

edit: in 2/Road Warrior this is explicit in the text of the movie

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Aleph Null posted:

I know we've moved on, but seeing Mad Max gives more weight and meaning to the periodic hallucinations Max has in Fury Road. You get to see his wife and daughter.

Max didn't have a daughter, he had a son. None of the people in his hallucinations appears in any of the other films. No Mad Max film is connected to any other Mad Max film.

I actually like the fan theory that there is no Mad Max. These are unrelated anecdotes, each of which has had a central person modified to be Mad Max so the story would fit into the legends, similar to how the Norse took the story of Jesus being crucified and stabbed with a spear and substituted Odin.

Some guy named Anthony murdered Toecutter. Brian was a road warrior. Nathan went beyond Thunderdome. Jonathan drove the Fury Road. But through retelling after retelling all of those things were done by Mad Max.

Edit: ^^^ similar to that, but I think they all really happened, just not to one guy.

rydiafan has a new favorite as of 03:12 on Jan 30, 2018

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Thunderdome being a campfire story about beloved folk hero "Mad" Max Rockatansky is the only way Tina Turner letting him go at the end makes any goddamn sense.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm pretty sure George Miller said the Mad Max movies are just apocalyptic camp fire tales.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah, I always took Mad Max to be a culture hero on the level of Cúchulainn/Maui/Hercules/Paul Bunyan/King Arthur/whatever. In the world of Mad Max there are probably stories of him inventing the car, stealing the secret of gasoline from the gods and theories that the real reason for the apocalypse wasn't actually nuclear war but Mad Max having a bad day and blowing the world away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Also don't skip Mad Max, it's a dope flick. I like it more than Road Warrior.