Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

TLG James posted:

Do men fall for this poo poo? It seems like every couple of weeks my wife tells me that one of her coworkers is having some party for *insert crap here* and I always tell her to cancel since it's high pressure sales and to just blame me or something.

I just don't really see how it could work on men, with the exception of some of the weight loss stuff.

Men are desirous of status and envision themselves at the top of the pyramid making money off all the suckers under them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUqo5tPZjrM&t=40s

There are a lot of Ed Harrises who envision themselves as Alec Baldwins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Bad with Money - being born as literally anything but a Saudi Prince.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/...WT.nav=top-news

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

aren't the cutco knives the only non-poo poo mlm product?
i mean, victorinox fibroxes are 1/3 the price and a little better quality, but the knives themselves that cutco peeps shill are just... not bad

Cutco isn't really an mlm in the herbalife or amway sense, they're just abusive and depend on their salespeople burning out after they buy a "starter kit" and guilt their friends and family into a few purchases.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Space Gopher posted:

Cutco isn't really an mlm in the herbalife or amway sense, they're just abusive and depend on their salespeople burning out after they buy a "starter kit" and guilt their friends and family into a few purchases.

That sounds like pretty standard MLM to me.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Family friends are real deep into an Amway energy drink MLM, and it seems like the whole business strategy is to record videos of the CEO and higher-ups doing things like jetsking, snowboarding, and motocrossing in salt flats. Then these videos are shat down the distribution line to dudebros with dollar signs in their eyes who purchase pallet after pallet of this overpriced toxic chemical bath and leave it in their garage because no one will buy it.

So yeah, plenty of MLMs (maybe most?) are geared towards men. It's just that the makeup and weight loss and leggings ones do a lot of their garbage advertising on social media, so you always see those living room makeup party events with like 400 people invited and 2 confirmed going (the mark and her sympathetic mother).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Square Peg posted:

That sounds like pretty standard MLM to me.

Cutco doesn't encourage their salespeople to recruit other salespeople by giving them a cut of their recruits' revenue, instead they recruit directly and just charge the recruit money up front. Encouraging you to recruit people and rewarding you for doing so is the distinguishing feature of the MLM.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Drunk Tomato posted:

Family friends are real deep into an Amway energy drink MLM, and it seems like the whole business strategy is to record videos of the CEO and higher-ups doing things like jetsking, snowboarding, and motocrossing in salt flats. Then these videos are shat down the distribution line to dudebros with dollar signs in their eyes who purchase pallet after pallet of this overpriced toxic chemical bath and leave it in their garage because no one will buy it.

So yeah, plenty of MLMs (maybe most?) are geared towards men. It's just that the makeup and weight loss and leggings ones do a lot of their garbage advertising on social media, so you always see those living room makeup party events with like 400 people invited and 2 confirmed going (the mark and her sympathetic mother).

I think more are geared toward women, but there are a bunch that are essentially gender neutral.

Splish
Sep 17, 2008
I live in a very rural area and the MLM stuff really veers between funny BWM and just really sad. We have a buy/sell FB group with about 8500 people in it (only about 10k people live in the entire county) and there are always going out of business posts from women selling Scentsy and Lularoe.

I think it's more prevalent with women in areas like this because there are actually quite lucrative jobs available but they tend to skew male--mining, construction, drilling. Even if a women is interested most of them have kids by the time they're 21 and good luck getting your rural baby daddy to actually watch kids while you go work 12-hour shifts driving a haul truck at the mine. So women get stuck at home with kids and working lovely part time service jobs/trying MLM to make money.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Drunk Tomato posted:

A friend of mine from back in high school was (maybe still is, I dunno, I blocked event invites from her), doing some kind of Chocolate MLM. 300 friends invited. 0 would RSVP. She'd cancel and try again. Ad Nauseam.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Midjack posted:

Cutco doesn't encourage their salespeople to recruit other salespeople by giving them a cut of their recruits' revenue, instead they recruit directly and just charge the recruit money up front. Encouraging you to recruit people and rewarding you for doing so is the distinguishing feature of the MLM.

ehh anything that doesn't pay you a steady base pay where you can easily break down money earned per hour, has you pay upfront for an intro package, and encourages you to burn all your bridges and alienate your friends is effectively an MLM even if the nitty-gritty varies

toss in buzzwords like "be your own boss," "the hustle,' "financial independence" to round out the package. As they say, if it talks like a bird, etc

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

ehh anything that doesn't pay you a steady base pay where you can easily break down money earned per hour, has you pay upfront for an intro package, and encourages you to burn all your bridges and alienate your friends is effectively an MLM even if the nitty-gritty varies

toss in buzzwords like "be your own boss," "the hustle,' "financial independence" to round out the package. As they say, if it talks like a bird, etc

All MLMs are bad companies but not all bad companies are MLMs. Cutco only has one level, therefore they are not a multilevel marketing company. I agree with you on the rest though and it's every bit as predatory, it just wants you to sell stuff to your friends, not sell the company to your friends.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Cutco will pay you for giving a demo to someone, but there are a bunch of conditions (they have to be a married couple over thirty, maybe a few other things). They'll pay you this base rate or the commission, whichever is higher. Back in the early 2000s they'd pay $17.50 so they'd make it look like the job paid that much per hour. This encourages the salespeople to grovel to their families by framing it like 'you don't have to buy anything, just sit through a 1hr demo and fill a survey'. Still a ripoff though.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

What is everyone's favorite "value for money" on knives?

Like, I get that I should not be paying Cutco prices but they do make a pretty nice product.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
There’s a knife thread in GWS with a lot of low priced recommendations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

What is everyone's favorite "value for money" on knives?

Like, I get that I should not be paying Cutco prices but they do make a pretty nice product.

Cutco are kind of lovely knives for the money, honestly. Wustof is decent for the money if you want a european knife. I like my Global knives but the consensus in GWS is that you can do better for the money. If you want Japanese knives go ask GWS. I want to say they really like Shun knives.

The best advice I can give you is do not buy a set of knives, but instead buy the ones you are going to use. Chef knife, santoku or utility knife, paring knife, maybe a cleaver. This will do it for most people cooking at home.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I'll mosey on over to GWS thanks for the recommendations I sometimes forget we have forums outside of the 25 threads I have bookmarked in my UCP.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Victorinox makes really nice kitchen knives for a good price. The handles are plastic so they don’t have the nice weight of other knives, but the blades are incredibly well made. And they’re one third the price of a Wusthof.

My MLM story is a friends wife who got into Beach Body and started making GBS threads up my facebook feed with posts about how much energy she had from those shakes and how she wanted everyone to get in shape with her. This was a year ago. I ended up blocking her because of that poo poo so I have no idea if she’s still doing it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm a fan of my Victorinox Fibrox 10" Chef's knife. I might have been better off with an 8". My favorite at my in-laws' house was 9", so I figured I would rather go up than down. Definitely not as nice as a knife you could get for $100 or so, but for $30-40 it was good.

Was. And then my goddamn roommates kept putting it in the dishwasher and I haven't taken it to get sharpened since. I'm also really bad at honing because I have done it maybe twice.

Seriously, you cut with it, put some soap on a sponge, rub each side a bit (blade out), rinse it off, dry it off, and put it back in the drawer (blade protector on). It takes like 45 seconds tops, and that's if you're going slow because you're afraid of cutting yourself. Maybe I just got in the habit because the knives at my in-laws' were not stainless, so my father in law was very specific that I had to clean them immediately after use.

I had (have but misplaced) a Cutco paring knife. That gave me a good sized scar on my finger when I was cleaning it the wrong way (seriously, blade out) and slipped. It definitely had a decent blade. Chef's knives are better for most situations, though. People get intimidated by a big knife, but having a larger flat side of the blade helps you guide more reliably with your off-hand.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the generic rec is victorinox fibrox and a goddamn honer. maybe some stones

i have my fibrox that i got on sale for $25 and a $100 sharpening stone and a $30 honer, lol

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
If you want something slightly nicer than Victorinox then Tojiro DP line stuff is pretty reasonably priced and very good.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/topr2pcset.html

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
With MLM, you see one gender doing one or the other more based on what's marketed to them. And to what feeds in to their fantasy.

So Lularoe, Scentsy, ItWorks, etc... all marketed towards women who love their social media and are health nuts. Often the demographic is young moms looking for an extra income and wanting to become that #BossMom

In my experience when I was a young guy in a lovely job, it's guys trying to talk me in to some "new" industry. Solar energy, VOIP, etc. The fantasy fed to men is that they can be smarter than all the other suckers.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Many "new-school" (social media-based) women-targeted MLMs are intrinsically linked to Mormonism - notice that LuLaRoe, Younique, Young Living, doTerra, NuSkin, Jamberry, LifeVantage, Modere, Usana, and Zija (and several smaller MLMs) are all headquartered in Utah. Mormon women are much more likely to be stay-at-home mothers and the religion discourages married women working outside the home. These types often have marketing material/Facebook posts that directly reference traditional gender roles/a husband who controls the pursestrings in the household. Sometimes they even reframe it as rebelling against the husband and disobeying his orders, which is interesting.

On the other hand, to market towards non-Mormons these MLMs hijack feminist language about ~women supporting women~ (see also Boss Babe/Boss Mom) while guilt-tripping working mothers (don't you wish you could stay at home with your kids?). So they're covering all their bases.

The podcasts Alt-Wrong (focusing on the connection with Mormons), That's a Cult? and Stuff Mom Never Told You all have great episodes on MLMs that are worth listening to if you want to learn more about their women-targeted marketing.

That's not to say that there aren't MLMs explicitly directed towards men, of course. I think I posted Simple Man (shaving supply MLM) here a while back. They're a bit on the nose with their marketing language - "Be A Man", "Keep it Manly", "Join the Front Lines". Their teams are called "squads". They have a "Dude Speak Blog".

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Moneyball posted:

With MLM, you see one gender doing one or the other more based on what's marketed to them. And to what feeds in to their fantasy.

So Lularoe, Scentsy, ItWorks, etc... all marketed towards women who love their social media and are health nuts. Often the demographic is young moms looking for an extra income and wanting to become that #BossMom

In my experience when I was a young guy in a lovely job, it's guys trying to talk me in to some "new" industry. Solar energy, VOIP, etc. The fantasy fed to men is that they can be smarter than all the other suckers.

*Posts in thread about how we enlightened goons are better than all those suckers*

Maybe Lowtax should increase the registration fee and then promise residuals from people you get to join the forums. If you aren't getting rich yet, post harder!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I got burned once in a MLM thing by a cousin, which is why I mention the VOIP thing. That was a good decade ago and gently caress if I can even remember what I was supposed to be selling. At least it wasn't much more than beer money.

MLM for men definitely plays on their desire to beat some kind of system. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

therobit posted:

*Posts in thread about how we enlightened goons are better than all those suckers*

Maybe Lowtax should increase the registration fee and then promise residuals from people you get to join the forums. If you aren't getting rich yet, post harder!

SACoins! When is the ICO?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Wasn’t there another one of these in this thread recently?

I made $40k on YouTube last year

quote:

So usually, I do my taxes on Turbo Tax. However, in 2017 I decided to start making YouTube videos as a side hustle. I quickly gained a following and started making google Adsense money. This totaled around $40k by the end of December.

I’m not sure how to go about filing my tax returns. I made $40k from YouTube but I probably spent $10k on cameras, software, travel etc for making the videos.

Also, I “vlog” so literally every aspect of my life is a part of the videos, so shouldn’t everything be a write off?

I’ve considered seeking out a local accountant. However, none of my local accountants have probably ever had to deal with an situation like this because I live in a VERY rural area and there are no other ‘YouTubers’ here. I may still do this because clearly they would have more of an idea on what to do than me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

White Chocolate posted:

Yesterday. Zuckerberg is ponying up $500 million.

It's disrupting the disruption market!

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Remember going into Best Buy and having the pitch you like 50 different awful sign-up products so they could get the referral? I think that's where I learned to immediately shut down anytime someone starts pitching me something I didn't already have the intent to buy.

Netflix was good though. That was one good thing Best Buy offered.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Cacafuego posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEL65gywwHQ&t=19s

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

My MLM story: I got mixed up with herbalife as a 15 year old when a high school biology teacher had a friend pitch her bullshit to a class I was in. I was in the middle of some mystery illness and there was just enough rudimentary science in the woo that I thought it could help. Told my parents about it who were then cajoled into buying a few months worth of pills by the distributor. Figured it was bullshit after maybe three months of not feeling any different and getting invited to sit through some culty "seminar". Final straw was visiting an applied kinesthesiologist who told me my blood was turning poison and organs were shutting down after doing some sort of seance.

Being a distributor never came up, so we were only ever out a few hundred bucks. I guess sick kids are just an easy mark. I stopped being sick shortly after and a few years later we figured out I had a really uncommon allergy.

I like the really intense beachbody workout videos and lost a shitload of weight from doing them, but lol at the idea of doubling your grocery bill to buy shakes every month instead of just eating a goddamn carrot every once in a while.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

White Chocolate posted:

When Lowtax gets out of the hospital.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Moneyball posted:

I got burned once in a MLM thing by a cousin, which is why I mention the VOIP thing. That was a good decade ago and gently caress if I can even remember what I was supposed to be selling. At least it wasn't much more than beer money.

MLM for men definitely plays on their desire to beat some kind of system. Correct me if I'm wrong.

a bunch of ex-coworkers once got really into an mlm selling those hacked roku things that have pirated content available. all men

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I sadly fell for an MLM scheme back in college. It was Amway, but online, I actually forget what it was called. This would have been 1999, so really riding the dot com wave. Cost me $100 to get in, but it was buying $100 worth of stuff from the online store, mostly household goods like detergent, or clothes. I guess it didn’t really cost me anything because I needed that stuff anyway. Did end up sitting through a couple seminars. I should have known better because those seminars were terribly dumb.

God I was a stupid college freshman. I managed to catch on how dumb this was once I attempted to get a friend into it too. I am still ashamed of it, and I never mention it to anyone I know in real life.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

I sadly fell for an MLM scheme back in college. It was Amway, but online, I actually forget what it was called. This would have been 1999, so really riding the dot com wave. Cost me $100 to get in, but it was buying $100 worth of stuff from the online store, mostly household goods like detergent, or clothes. I guess it didn’t really cost me anything because I needed that stuff anyway. Did end up sitting through a couple seminars. I should have known better because those seminars were terribly dumb.

God I was a stupid college freshman. I managed to catch on how dumb this was once I attempted to get a friend into it too. I am still ashamed of it, and I never mention it to anyone I know in real life.

Quixtar. One of my friends tried to pitch it to me around that time.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Cacafuego posted:

There was, but that guy never talked to an accountant, and had already filed his taxes, writing off everything in his life (including his house) as business expenses. The IRS was already auditing him, and he was trying to use his YouTube fame to fight them with plaintive videos.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Still, it doesn't sound like this guy prepaid his taxes and are you even able to deduct business expenses if you don't have a "business"? I thought you had to have a LLC or something.

So hopefully he banked some of that money.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

No, you don't have to be an LLC, if you are just freelancing or whatever on your own you can still deduct legitimate expenses. The trick with these guys seems to be that they have a really hard time grasping that turning themselves into a product doesn't mean everything is now deductible:

quote:

I’m not sure how to go about filing my tax returns. I made $40k from YouTube but I probably spent $10k on cameras, software, travel etc for making the videos. Also, I “vlog” so literally every aspect of my life is a part of the videos, so shouldn’t everything be a write off?

Sadly the original post looks like it has been deleted. Always copy it over so we can enjoy when someone realizes how dumb they are!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

quote:

literally every aspect of my life is a part of the videos, so shouldn’t everything be a write off?

Oh honey

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I'd like to present some classic OG BWM:

11 easy steps to get out of debt

Not recommended for those suffering from high blood pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Reminds me of this scene from Go “It’s Confederate Products, it’s, it’s a different company, it’s a different quality of product.”

https://youtu.be/OkdLWuCRe0c

Back in the 90s I was involved in a MLM for IT consultants, they were a reseller of products; computers, accessories and components. It was called HandTech and I could have built a downstream but all I cared about was being able to purchase stuff at a discount and gaining some commission on sales. I still have an HP1100 Laserjet that I got from some of the sales credits. I only did it for a year or two and probably made a few buck, I don’t remember having to keep inventory or any of that stuff.