Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It's just so confusing that people might not want to be around openly brandished deadly weapons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's just so confusing that people might not want to be around openly brandished deadly weapons!

Especially when the person carrying it is prone to fits of rage over something as inconsequential as plastic space ships!

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Some one who feels the need to carry a firearm openly all the time screams emotional problems and that the gun is a replacement for a security blanket. Not some one I would want to spend time with in a room that might cause stress.

I would also not want to spend time in a room with some one who walked around all the time with a chainsaw as well.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

banned from Starbucks posted:

open carry is dumb but so is thinking someone is going to shoot you over a spaceship game

In the 20 years, I have been involved with TT gaming I have seen quite a few actual fist fights break out over little plastic models. All had to do with 40k and all had to do with various raging idiots on one side of the table who took it too seriously. If someone had a gun I would be a lot of money that in at least twice it would have been pulled out. It just takes a split second for everything to go wrong.

Reason #536 I'm happy I moved to Australia.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
America sure is a weird place.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

What do people with small weiners do overseas to compensate?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

We They just play tabletop games. Wait a minute! :monocle:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Iceclaw posted:

America sure is a weird place.

There are American citizens who think the 2nd Amendment is the only important part of the Constitution.

They will not say as much, but they indicate such with their actions.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I have a couple of silly questions that have come up in recent games.

Ship 1 gets hit with a harpoon
Ship 2 uses selflessness to take the hits.

Would I be right in saying that Ship 1 gets the Harpoon condition?

Since ship #2 uses selflessness would that trigger Cpt. Jostero Once per round, after an enemy ship that is not defending against an attack, suffers damage or critical damage, you may perform an attack against that ship.

My opinion is yes

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Raged posted:

I have a couple of silly questions that have come up in recent games.

Ship 1 gets hit with a harpoon
Ship 2 uses selflessness to take the hits.

Would I be right in saying that Ship 1 gets the Harpoon condition?

Since ship #2 uses selflessness would that trigger Cpt. Jostero Once per round, after an enemy ship that is not defending against an attack, suffers damage or critical damage, you may perform an attack against that ship.

My opinion is yes

I'd say yes and yes.

Ship 1 is still the ship that was hit by the attack. In the recent FAQ a similar case with xizor is mentioned. Even though he can pass off the critical damage to another ship he still counts as being hit for the purpose of triggering the harpooned condition. Being hit by an attack happens independently of who ends up suffering the damage.

Selflessness mentions suffering the damage and it is happening on a ship that wasn't the defending ship so yeah, I don't see why it wouldn't trigger.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Krayt Cup was fun. 12 hours for 5 rounds was rough though. At least I can shelve x wing until they fix harpoons and play some L5R and Arkham. :getin:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

alg posted:

Krayt Cup was fun. 12 hours for 5 rounds was rough though. At least I can shelve x wing until they fix harpoons and play some L5R and Arkham. :getin:

For real. I played a system open today and had a pretty miserable time. Lost a lot of games too.

First time getting paired against 4 wookies for me and ughhhhhhhhh
If harpoons didn't exist I'd say that 4 wookies is easily the worst thing about this game.

It is horrible. If you did not bring bombs (preferably with trajectory simulator), you will not win that match.

I've also came to the realization that the (8-0 before tournament, now 9-4) Ion Kanan/Fenn list I brought is not fun at all to play unless you're winning with it. Even then, not that fun.

I should have stuck with Shadowcasters. I would have definitely won my first two games with that.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

canyoneer posted:

For real. I played a system open today and had a pretty miserable time. Lost a lot of games too.

First time getting paired against 4 wookies for me and ughhhhhhhhh
If harpoons didn't exist I'd say that 4 wookies is easily the worst thing about this game.

It is horrible. If you did not bring bombs (preferably with trajectory simulator), you will not win that match.

I've also came to the realization that the (8-0 before tournament, now 9-4) Ion Kanan/Fenn list I brought is not fun at all to play unless you're winning with it. Even then, not that fun.

I should have stuck with Shadowcasters. I would have definitely won my first two games with that.

I only saw wookies on one table today but holy poo poo every other table was harpoons.

I flew Kanan/Fenn too and didn't have much fun. I should have stuck with Rey/Poe

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

alg posted:

12 hours for 5 rounds

Was there a meal break in between each round or something? What in the world :psyduck:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Kanan + X has always been the most boring list to fly and fly against. The Fenn version is a little more fun than previous iterations because you have a few decisions to make with the coordinate action, but it's still not exactly the most riveting thing in the world.

And say what you will about harpoons, but at least they made arcs matter again.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

Kanan + X has always been the most boring list to fly and fly against. The Fenn version is a little more fun than previous iterations because you have a few decisions to make with the coordinate action, but it's still not exactly the most riveting thing in the world.

And say what you will about harpoons, but at least they made arcs matter again.

They also are they only consistent counter to the snoozefest that is 4 wookie lists.

alg posted:

That is some horrible tournament organizing. Harpoons can be beaten with proper range control. If you run straight in you kinda deserve to lose. Dengar/Assaj is great at this.

Raged fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 28, 2018

alg
Mar 14, 2007

They had software issues

I managed the first pass of each harpoon battle, but the fact that gunboats can just slam away after you start to focus them means later in the game I'm going to catch a harpoon.

They definitely need to be fixed, they are simply better in every way than any other ordnance and gunboats are way too cheap a platform for them.

Edit also filthy neckbeards saying POONED is just, bleck

alg fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 28, 2018

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
NB Euros tickets on sale now, buy them whilst they're available.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Raged posted:

They also are they only consistent counter to the snoozefest that is 4 wookie lists.

I was talking with a buddy at a tournament I played in yesterday and I remarked that ordnance was either dumb or worthless in this game, and it's on the side of dumb right now, and he talked about the quad wookies. I remarked that if the game were in a place where a 3-die primary with one action was a good attack, FFG would never have released the wookie gunship, especially not at 24 points base.

Got 2nd place in said tournament, only loss was to quad wookies where I made a dumb mistake, then had fun as i realized my MOV was better so i still finished ahead of him.

Though to be fair I had Miranda, Poe, Fenn and that's probably just as power creep/cancerous.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Everything about harpoon missiles is terrible in it's own way.

With LRS, low PS ships no longer need to worry about managing the range band for both getting a target lock and for actually firing. So chances are you have a target lock and focus when you're firing the missiles, which means you're real likely to produce 3 or 4 hits.
With deadeye and chips you also don't need to manage the range band to fire and are still likely to produce 3-4 hits.

It's crappy that they gave it a great condition effect, didn't make you spend a target lock, gave you a bunch of platforms and tools to remove it's limitations, and then priced it at 4 points.
Assault missiles and cluster missiles cost 5 and 4 points, and both require spending target locks. Homing missiles cost 5 points, and don't require spending a lock. It is so bizarre.

I'm sure that power creep will get us in a year a 4 dice missile that doesn't require spending a target lock and assigns a condition that permanently reduces agility or something

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

canyoneer posted:

It's crappy that they gave it a great condition effect, didn't make you spend a target lock, gave you a bunch of platforms and tools to remove it's limitations, and then priced it at 4 points.
Assault missiles and cluster missiles cost 5 and 4 points, and both require spending target locks. Homing missiles cost 5 points, and don't require spending a lock. It is so bizarre.

The problem is, those missiles are generally not worth trying to make work. So FFG did make a missile that's worth trying to make work, and because ordnance is flawed, they made something really dumb.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Raged posted:

That is some horrible tournament organizing. Harpoons can be beaten with proper range control. If you run straight in you kinda deserve to lose. Dengar/Assaj is great at this.

What's the build for Dengar/Assaj?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The typical build is Dengar/title/expertise/K4 and Asajj has LW/Latts/2x glitter/countermeasures

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

What would be a way to make ordnannce not dumb?

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Iceclaw posted:

Remove Harpoons, Bomblet Generator, and Sabine, then let things run from there.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

With all the Kanan/Fenn around I may just go back to lothal rebel/Horton and just win the dmg race since Horton doesn't give a gently caress about Fenn for the most part. Will have to figure out harpoon bullshit tho.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Tequila Ranger posted:

Remove Harpoons, Bomblet Generator, and Sabine, then let things run from there.

Not dumb and usable.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So my girlfriend loves dash. So which is a better bomber wingman? Nym or Miranda?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

So my girlfriend loves dash. So which is a better bomber wingman? Nym or Miranda?

Miranda is a better all-rounder. Miranda + Dash is a really solid combo piece.

Nym, while really flexible, doesn't regen and cannot SLAM to get out of trouble.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Yep, harpoons are probably OP. Half of the reason they are OP is Imp gunboats. Thing is if harpoons get hit with the nerf hammer then even more obnoxious stuff will be at the top of the meta.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

ConfusedUs posted:

Miranda is a better all-rounder. Miranda + Dash is a really solid combo piece.

Nym, while really flexible, doesn't regen and cannot SLAM to get out of trouble.

Is this good?

100 points

PILOTS

Dash Rendar (58)
YT-2400 Freighter (36), Push the Limit (3), Heavy Laser Cannon (7), Kanan Jarrus (3), Outrider (5), Engine Upgrade (4)

Miranda Doni (42)
K-Wing (29), Twin Laser Turret (6), Sabine Wren (2), Bomblet Generator (3), Advanced SLAM (2), Proximity Mines (3)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

Is this good?

100 points

PILOTS

Dash Rendar (58)
YT-2400 Freighter (36), Push the Limit (3), Heavy Laser Cannon (7), Kanan Jarrus (3), Outrider (5), Engine Upgrade (4)

Miranda Doni (42)
K-Wing (29), Twin Laser Turret (6), Sabine Wren (2), Bomblet Generator (3), Advanced SLAM (2), Proximity Mines (3)

Miranda Doni (29)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
C-3PO (3)
Bomblet Generator (3)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Dash Rendar (36)
Lone Wolf (2)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Rey (2)
Countermeasures (3)
Outrider (5)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I like this one better. Miranda gets in a huge swing up front with fully modded 5 dice harpoons, gets TLT and bomblets to manage the board, and LW Dash with Rey gets the mods he needs to stay effective (without stress!)

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Arizona system open is a near mirror of Chopper + Fenn and Lothal Rebel + Fenn. I wonder if anti-Fenn mechanics (Expertise and Stress) will start to show up more.

I ran the Lothal + Fenn list at our regional this weekend and went 4-2. It's a strong list, and I think I could have gone at least 5-1 if I hadn't made a bad call against Deadeye Harpoon carriers. To echo the thread though, I'm just not sure if I want to keep playing the list, because the "fun" isn't really there. I'm not sure if it's the list, or the meta, or both.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
A putative missile would be pretty balanced at 4 points, 4 dice, don't spend the lock.

The condition needs to be a choice (either 1 damage and condition, or normal damage no condition, say) or it needs to only work if it deals at least one card.

At a minimum.

But there are a lot of other balance issues in the game at the moment that need attention too. Sabine and TLT in particular.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Iceclaw posted:

I would have ordnance be less expensive and augment existing attacks as one-time buffs rather than replace whole attacks(this is why things like scrambler missiles, tractor beam, and jamming beam don't work). Harpoon would be really weak if it cancelled down to 1 hit and inflicted the condition, but that's exactly how FFG templated missiles that inflict statuses- give up a good quality attack to maybe do a damage and inflict something.

Ordnance has had so may fixes nowadays that it's all kind of stacking on itself in a bad way that makes it all-or-nothing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Dash Rendar (36)
Push the Limit (3)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
"Leebo" (2)
Ion Dischargers (2)
Smuggling Compartment (0)
Countermeasures (3)
Outrider (5)

"Crimson Leader" (29)
Trajectory Simulator (1)
Ordnance Silos (2)
Thermal Detonators (3)
Advanced Optics (2)
Deflective Plating (1)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

:shrug:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

thespaceinvader posted:

A putative missile would be pretty balanced at 4 points, 4 dice, don't spend the lock.

The condition needs to be a choice (either 1 damage and condition, or normal damage no condition, say) or it needs to only work if it deals at least one card.

At a minimum.

But there are a lot of other balance issues in the game at the moment that need attention too. Sabine and TLT in particular.

Hmmm. “Harpoon missiles: if this attack succeeds, and the defender would receive a critical hit, the attacker may choose to cancel that critical hit, and assign the Harpooned! Condition card to the defender.”

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
At the most basic level, harpooned condition shouldn't do extra damage to the target ship. It should just splash to other ships, at least there's some counterplay.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Harpoon should be “Cancel all results, deal 1 damage and condition to ship. Player can then decide when to detonate the harpoon to deal one damage to all ships in range 1” enemy ship can still spend that action to drop the condition as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Ringo Star Get posted:

Harpoon should be “Cancel all results, deal 1 damage and condition to ship. Player can then decide when to detonate the harpoon to deal one damage to all ships in range 1” enemy ship can still spend that action to drop the condition as well.

4 points for that? It would be useless. The only fair nerf I could see possibly coming is spending the TL to fire.

Fix Sabine/Bombs/Reinforce/Slam+reload/Nym with 10 upgrades/Assaj being "too tanky" all things people complain about that will be brought up as soon as harpoons aren't the big thing anymore. It's just another in a long list of things people don't take the time to learn to counter and just whine about till it's nerfed. If every matchup was easy the game would be boring.

Remember just over 2 weeks ago where everyone was losing their minds about Nym+ Genius+ Traj Sim/ Miranda? Some people actually built counters to the list and smashed the poo poo out of it in tournaments. Hell, I personally saw a top 16 Aussie player get tabled in the 5th round. It got nerfed the next week.

Even if something is OP there is always a counter to it. I'm a middling to average player and I can counter massed harpoons if I fly really well. The only ones I have consitant trouble with are imp gunboats w/harpoons. That's why I am flying my current list. It counters it.

Hell, a Dash with an Ion cannon/Corran went undefeated a couple weeks ago in a 2 day 60+ player tournament where it faced pre-nerf Nym/Miranda and QD+ 3 harpoon boats. It won because the player flew well.

Raged fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 29, 2018

• Locked thread