Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Nobody knows about any Nabokov novel that isn't Lolita, and most of them haven't read that either.

They're far more universal than any niche fetish anime lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
But mainly I bring it up because it's funny

Also Satan angel form is v relatable god bless

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
he straight up went out of his way to say legit examples like yandare aren't the issue and that things like autistic child geniuses are, dude is a bafoon lmao

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Watch Space Dandy if you haven't already, because it was criminally underrated and showcased so many different directors and animation houses/styles. The episode directed by Yuasa is one of the most chill things to watch.
I watched like, almost all if not all of the first season of Space Dandy, and for the most part enjoyed it, but it was just a little....well I don't wanna say lowbrow, but the humor didn't always get me so I just wasn't hooked, but it was cool to say the least

My favorite Watanabe thing might be Kids on the Slope, but it's been a while since I've seen that. I think prefer Champloo to Bebop, mostly because sci-fi isn't a huge interest of mine and the tone of Champloo is overall more appealing, but things like Faye finding the tape of her younger self still make me cry.

anime good

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 27, 2018

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

DisDisDis posted:

Also Satan angel form is v relatable god bless

I don't remember if it's Psycho Jenny or another demon, but someone calls them "Noble, Beautiful and Benign" after their transformation and I've had that description pleasantly stuck in my head for weeks now

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

he straight up went out of his way to say legit examples like yandare aren't the issue and that things like autistic child geniuses are, dude is a bafoon lmao

I definitely didn’t do the first thing, and actually quoted the guy who made the a tsundere point and was like “yes I agree with him”

You’d think people who spend all day watching subtitles would have better reading comprehension

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 27, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Xinder posted:

e: since we're talking about Champloo, here's a video to make it relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZCofrW0am0
Thank you for leading me to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubSdfYqCgK8

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Smoking Crow posted:

Don't say trope

it's a word that exists outside of the bad website, and doesn't really have any great synonyms ("cliche" is close but has an explicitly negative connotation whereas "trope" is more neutral)

e: also, child geniuses are weirdly common in anime, I'll actually totally give him that one? Ed is pretty much the least "anime" example of the archetype I can think of but it's one that shows up a fuckin' lot. Hell, this very series just kind of casually drops that Ryo is a college professor and researcher in his teens.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

Miki and other Miki don't tell us anything about their sexuality or their romantic feelings. They say they love one another.

This isn't to say that they aren't queer, but focusing on the potential queerness is overlooking the more overt, explicit and more radical interpretation.

I know we're having this mostly offtopic argument and that's valid and I'm enjoying it a lot but I wanted to bring up this example of one of the classics of "they're not lesbians" posting because I think we kinda glossed over it. A lot of arguments are common to both men and women but this one in particular is incredibly frequent just with women, that romantic love between them is somehow less powerful than friendship/platonic and/or that their friendship is invalidated by their romantic feelings. Them being lesbians is "less radical" lol
Always wonder if these people look at close hetero couples and wish they could become closer to each other by no longer being romantic-sexually involved. (I know they said they'd feel the same if Miko was a man and I don't buy it for a minute)

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

DisDisDis posted:

I know we're having this mostly offtopic argument and that's valid and I'm enjoying it a lot but I wanted to bring up this example of one of the classics of "they're not lesbians" posting because I think we kinda glossed over it. A lot of arguments are common to both men and women but this one in particular is incredibly frequent just with women, that romantic love between them is somehow less powerful than friendship/platonic and/or that their friendship is invalidated by their romantic feelings. Them being lesbians is "less radical" lol
Always wonder if these people look at close hetero couples and wish they could become closer to each other by no longer being romantic-sexually involved. (I know they said they'd feel the same if Miko was a man and I don't buy it for a minute)

Yeah, I read through the whole thread before I started posting and didn't want to bring this back up but holy poo poo was that ever a terrible post that infuriated me. For pretty much all the reasons you described here.

Watching people try to bend over backwards to disprove the obvious lesbians was painful.

e: Someone tried to push a trans reading on Miko and while I would support that usually, they were arguing it on the basis of her becoming more "masculine" when in fact she only became more confident, and I definitely don't like assigning confidence as a masculine trait. And also it was clear that making Miko a trans man would make them more comfortable with the relationship because at least they wouldn't be lesbians anymore.

Xinder fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 27, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Once again would gladly sacrifice my humanity for the devil power of looking insanely hot in an open shirt with a sports bra

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
platonic love is more radical and powerful than romantic love because it has to be achieved without people being horny. romance is rarely an interesting plot point by itself

is probably intended to be romantic but i think there is something wrong with you if you care strongly either way

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I think it's important that you portray gay characters not only as friends but also as lovers. Lots of anime pretends to be about romance, but it's actually really prudish when it comes to sex. It's really lazy because then you can always skirt around the issue of showing humans as physical beings.

Inio Asano posted:

It's a turn that you can easily see in popular opinions of Goodnight Punpun and A Girl on the Shore. […] There is a tendency to separate everything into genre. I mean, if a manga is about action, it's just meant to be action, and there's no space for sex scenes in there. […] What bothers me is the question of why you can't put sex scenes in a normal manga, since it's the most normal thing in the world. But that's why I think it's going to be harder and harder to put those scenes in my manga, because editors and readers don't expect or don't want to find some kinds of content in a story when they think it's going to be something different.

Just imagine how much worse it is in a queer context. Crybaby is great because it is really explicitly about sex. If you ask me, it could stand to be a bit more clearly about LGBT sex, though.

Has Clive Barker's Nightbreed come up, yet? I feel that's a very logical Western equivalent to Devilman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-EYyYEu0LY

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Expect My Mom posted:

I watched like, almost all if not all of the first season of Space Dandy, and for the most part enjoyed it, but it was just a little....well I don't wanna say lowbrow, but the humor didn't always get me so I just wasn't hooked, but it was cool to say the least

Most of the legit funny episodes in Space Dandy were written by the same woman, Kimiko Ueno.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the second season of space dandy has more cool, weird arthousey stuff and imo elevates it to one of the best anime ever. the ep oshiyama (as previously mentioned, one of the character designers for crybaby) did on it is just about dandy getting stuck on a fishing planet and befriending a little girl and an old man, it trades the crasser humor for weird visuals and goofy scenes of dandy just kinda hanging out with people and it owns. my favorite watanabe anime is champloo and i think space dandy's ending is on about the same level as champloo's and legit one of the best things i've seen in an anime, and it does a very effective job wrapping up a naturally scattered show into feeling like a cohesive whole

basically if you liked any of the weirder eps of space dandy s1 i think you should totally give s2 a look because weird and character-focused eps are all it is

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 28, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
A World Without Sadness, Baby was my favorite of the bunch even if it didn't have any neat art gimmicks.

The scene with the guitarist on the telephone lines was downright haunting.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Xinder posted:

e: Someone tried to push a trans reading on Miko and while I would support that usually, they were arguing it on the basis of her becoming more "masculine" when in fact she only became more confident, and I definitely don't like assigning confidence as a masculine trait. And also it was clear that making Miko a trans man would make them more comfortable with the relationship because at least they wouldn't be lesbians anymore.

Miko doesn't just become more confident, she becomes aggressive, physically dominant, prone to violence, and her entire wardrobe changes to become more sporty. Everything about the way she presents and conducts herself completely changes, and not picking up on the obvious gender cues is just obtuse. She even has the exact same physical dimensions as the other two devilmen.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Miko doesn't just become more confident, she becomes aggressive, physically dominant, prone to violence, and her entire wardrobe changes to become more sporty. Everything about the way she presents and conducts herself completely changes, and not picking up on the obvious gender cues is just obtuse. She even has the exact same physical dimensions as the other two devilmen.

Yeah because if there's two thing trans men are known for it's being violent and having huge tits

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Women are allowed to be physically fit and wear sports gear, those aren't exclusive to men.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

huh, i didn't notice the huge tits on akira or koda. maybe time for a rewatch

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
You might think that acknowledging trans identities might require you to respect the nuances of intersectionally reading texts. But no. It's actually mainly useful for when you want to enforce both gender essentialism and heteronormativity in your violent titty animes

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
What's the name of the zombie episode in Space Dandy? I remember being really WTF in a good way, but never really bothered finishing the series. Good to know it stays good till the end.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Women are allowed to be physically fit and wear sports gear, those aren't exclusive to men.

i'm a woman

*looks at own muscles and hands wearing martial arts gloves*

wait... no... poo poo...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

jesus

Mercrom posted:

is probably intended to be romantic but i think there is something wrong with you if you care strongly either way
i care strongly about being a lesbian because being a lesbian is something that brings me both great joy + epic ownage + big titties daily

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rodney mullenkamp posted:

Most of the legit funny episodes in Space Dandy were written by the same woman, Kimiko Ueno.
kumiko ueno's masterpiece is pingu in the city

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
[whenever a woman acts assertively toward me] Ah, it's that classic identity I know and love, the transgender! I see you, brother!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

imo this stems from a lack of emotional and sexual power given to women. women are objects to be pursued - even in straight romance stories from the perspective of women, a lot of it has them being passive, or giving up ground to their male counterpart. so a romance between two women is seen as lacking in emotional and sexual power because of this - they lack the 'male' role to justify their own existence and give it depth both physically and emotionally, unlike gay men. this also correlates heavily with how many lesbian romance stories that do exist either underplay the sexual aspects of the relationship and refuse to give the women depth beyond them just being fluffily in love with each other - not a lot of yuri manga out there depicting reasonable arguments between two people who love each other but sometimes disagree - or have one character functioning very heavily as the 'man,' often to the point of intentionally blurring the lines of their gender or having other characters mistake them for a man. (see: every class s manga ever made including sailor moon). If you refuse to give women any power in romantic and sexual relationships, then of course them being in a relationship like that is 'less powerful' or 'less radical.' this is also why plenty of societies that have, or had, laws against homosexual behavior often only regulated it between men. since women lack any romantic or sexual power, their homosexuality is seen as less of a threat, societally.

in conclusion, the horny lesbian stereotype is actually progressive. im gay.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I thought that episode where Miko orders testosterone online was out of place but I guess I was wrong

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I thought that episode where Miko orders testosterone online was out of place but I guess I was wrong
when miko says they identify as a man, they actually mean they only identify as a man platonically

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Yeah because if there's two thing trans men are known for it's being violent and having huge tits

Miko was physically fit before she became a devilman, but before she was a devilman she also had a clearly feminine body shape that radically changes when she undergoes the demonic transition. Women are certainly allowed to be physically fit and wear sports gear, but sporty women are also commonly considered to be Tom Boys and to have more masculine presentation than other women - and unlike Miki Miko is never coded feminine after her transition into being a devilman. Secondary sexual characteristics aren't even a defining element of gender identity, and focusing on her tits to dismiss every other transgender characteristic is reductive. You may as well be saying nobody with big tits could possibly be gender queer.

It's weird how invested you all are in dismissing the only character with transgender overtones from a queer show.

Pener Kropoopkin fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 28, 2018

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's weird how invested you all are in dismissing the only character with transgender overtones from a queer show.

How dare you say that about Ryo

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
if anything, miko gets more feminine, getting longer hair (her braid is longer than her original hair) and eyeliner.

even her devil form, a spider, has roots in femininity, for me the first thing that comes to mind is the Jorogumo, a spiderwoman yokai who eats men. spiders in general are just more linked to feminine than masculine, not even an Anime Trope

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 28, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jenny Angel posted:

How dare you say that about Ryo

lol

Expect My Mom posted:

if anything, miko gets more feminine, getting longer hair (her braid is longer than her original hair) and eyeliner.

even her devil form, a spider, has roots in femininity, for me the first thing that comes to mind is the Jorogumo, a spiderwoman yokai who eats men. spiders in general are just more linked to feminine than masculine, not even an Anime Trope

The reason spider-women are supposed to be terrifying is because they invert the dynamics of gender dominance, since spider species typically have females that are bigger and stronger than the males. There's even the rape scene that inverts what happened when Miko was raped by the photographer, because at the waterfront she's the one loving the would-be rapist and then crushes his skull while continuing to gently caress his corpse. She completely turns the tables on the gender dynamic, even to the point where she dominates Koda, which is the only character to not be depicted in his less masculine pre-devilman stage.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Miko was physically fit before she became a devilman, but before she was a devilman she also had a clearly feminine body shape that radically changes when she undergoes the demonic transition. Women are certainly allowed to be physically fit and wear sports gear, but sporty women are also commonly considered to be Tom Boys and to have more masculine presentation than other women - and unlike Miki Miko is never coded feminine after her transition into being a devilman. Secondary sexual characteristics aren't even a defining element of gender identity, and focusing on her tits to dismiss every other transgender characteristic is reductive. You may as well be saying nobody with big tits could possibly be gender queer.

You seem to be putting forth your transgender interpretation of Miko exclusively so that Miki and Miko aren't "really" lesbians. All of your arguments have relied on gender essentialist interpretations of behaviour and femininity. None of Miko's coding implies that she's transgender unless both Akira and Ryo are also transmen. Every Devilman becomes taller, more physically fit and confident after being possessed and you seem to think that only men are tall, physically fit and confident.

I mean for gently caress's sake, look at your post.

quote:

but sporty women are also commonly considered to be Tom Boys and to have more masculine presentation than other women
loving really?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

lol

The reason spider-women are supposed to be terrifying is because they invert the dynamics of gender dominance, since spider species typically have females that are bigger and stronger than the males. There's even the rape scene that inverts what happened when Miko was raped by the photographer, because at the waterfront she's the one loving the would-be rapist and then crushes his skull while continuing to gently caress his corpse. She completely turns the tables on the gender dynamic, even to the point where she dominates Koda, which is the only character to not be depicted in his less masculine pre-devilman stage.
so wait, miko becomes a spider-woman because spiders have different gender dynamics than humans because female spiders are stronger, but then she's also meant to be a transman? so she exhibits a male gender identity by taking on traits of a female animal? wouldn't her taking on traits of an animal species that has a dominant female imply that the transformation is about her becoming a woman that can overpower men, as opposed to about becoming a man?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Endorph posted:

so wait, miko becomes a spider-woman because spiders have different gender dynamics than humans because female spiders are stronger, but then she's also meant to be a transman? so she exhibits a male gender identity by taking on traits of a female animal? wouldn't her taking on traits of an animal species that has a dominant female imply that the transformation is about her becoming a woman that can overpower men, as opposed to about becoming a man?

Well you see female spiders are actually masculine

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

lol

This is absolutely solid and true, but like, her turning into a female that is bigger and stronger than the males would stronger assert that it's her becoming a powerful woman who can admit she's gay rather than her realizing she identifies as a male.

I am all for the take that Miko is a transman, hell yeah why not, I couldn't and wouldn't invalidate that for anyone, but your arguments for it seems couched in gender norms rather than focusing in trans representation. Plus earlier comments that they aren't actually lesbians, before asserting that Miko is a transman just makes make me feel like it's not in good faith.

I am not claiming you aren't in good faith, I just don't get a good vibe from it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i mean, the obvious intent of the design changes is that they go from being regular anime characters to being Go Nagai characters. it's fair to possibly read trans stuff into it or puberty stuff, but keep in mind you're most likely thinking past Yuasa on the subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Ignoring everything else for the moment because hoo boy,

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

She even has the exact same physical dimensions as the other two devilmen.

Maybe because those are the three devilmen we actually focus on in any capacity in the show? Maybe those are aspects of being a devilman and not of masculinity??

• Locked thread