Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a mutie?
Yes
No
View Results

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

STAC Goat posted:

Cyclops is a beast IF you can get all your enemies in front of you. You just hit the 5 beam and wait for everyone to die. His problem is that if someone can get behind him or to his side they'll kill him good. A defensive iso set would probably help but usually I just try a couple of times in Shadowland until I can manage to get into a corner and get everyone in front of me for the easy win.

Ive had the Beast costume for awhile since he's super valuable as a villain and can solo that Hydra Cap SL floor that pops up late. I wish I had known about Cyclops and hopefully now he gives me a hit more flexibility.

Are there any other costumes that turn heroes into villains? Hydra Cap doesn't, right? AoA Rogue doesn't?

I believe that Maestro Hulk and modern Black Cat make them villains, if that is of any use.

They are putting up the X23 packs for sale again this week. Which is good as I have her at 20 on all hear except her belt which is 60% through 19. I think I'll buy the 500 Crystal pack as 30 of her bios should be enough so I can use today's Tier 2 token to get her to T2.
Like on paper the X Gene processor should be getting me her Bios as there are only 5 x characters it can produce. But people who have crunched the numbers say that her bios are really rare drops. You have a better chance of making the Ultimates bios rather than hers.

I wonder if that will be how they'll do the Ultimates in the future. Every 4 weeks release their bios as packs for crystals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Who are the good candidates for CTPs? I found a transcendence (blue) one and I don’t want to waste it.

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained

STAC Goat posted:

I really want that War Machine Punisher but it's extra pricey and it doesn't seem great. Any reviews? Seems like maybe you could cycle 3 shield, 5, and 4 iframe but I'm not sure and it's a lot of crystals to try.

It's pretty underwhelming, especially for the higher cost. It's not as much of an improvement as the more expensive Ragnarok icons. He can do some damage but still takes dies very quickly. There are much better combat characters to use.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
Will mega rank up tickets work on Lunawaifu? I'd much rather buy one of them (and they're on sale now) than buy a biosub.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Gaussian posted:

Will mega rank up tickets work on Lunawaifu? I'd much rather buy one of them (and they're on sale now) than buy a biosub.

Yep - I didn't use one to try it out but they work on all the other biosub characters so I don't see why not.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah, I mega-ranked her before I realised I mighta gotten enough bios from the event to get her into 4-5-6 ticket territory, of which I still have too many. Welp.

I've gotten 6 bios from the event since then. :shrug:

Using mega-ranks on bio sub people is basically best use of them by far. Or maybe Ultimates but I'm bio-lotterying up to 3* hopefully. 36 nova bios to go...

E: just note that you will never T2 them without spending the ten buckos unless they give us a free mega-T2 at some point. I'm still holding out hope for Chinese New Year...

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 26, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I 4-5-6 ticketed Luna. I haven't been doing the event missions because I figure its the same basic deal as the X-23 ones. Some big gold prizes but not many bios. Plus I'm just not as enamored with Luna as all you "waifu" folk are. She's ok but I was testing her vs X23 vs Vulture in my early Shadowland rounds and she seemed to come in last of the three with all 3 in the 4/17-4/19 range. That's good, just not something I feel the need to build up at a big cost.

I bought the daily bio package to get her to 3. Got Valkyrie and QUasar and I'll get them to 3 and then 4-5-6 ticket them. Then I have Agent Venom at 20/20/20/19 so I'll finish him. I guess after that I'll get Valk, Quasar, and Kaiju to 4/17. After all that maybe I'll feed bios to Luna if i don't give them to 2099 or someone else.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 26, 2018

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

On the same note pop star waifu is really loving good. Like better than Quicksilver good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I assume you mean at T2 or at least 4/20? She's below X23 for me right now but she's only at 4/18 or so.

It seems like she's got more built in damage potential than Quicksilver but is also way easier to kill than him. I'd put my 4/19 X-23 and 4/19 Vulture in the middle between them

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

I dunno, I used her in XAB today and she outscored what I'd get with Quicksilver by like...60k. And she's still T1. I did give her a CTP and awakened ISO set though.

Quicksilver is totally invincible in AB but Luna just shits out damage. You do have to pay more attention to keeping her alive because you can get gibbed, but that skill with entice coupled with the 2* is crazy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have Quicksilver with a CTP and awakened ISO set so we're probably just two different sides of a coin on it.

Maybe I'll feed Luna bios after I'm done with the rest of the pay people getting to 4/17.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

So I guess I have to pay more attention to the types of ISO I put on people. Matched sets of the same name work better, or just provide more of a focus in one area of strength?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I'm very disappointed by the Red Hulk one. I got it awhile ago and I've never been able to find a way to make him effective. I end up just using him for fire damage, and he'd probably be more useful if i switching him back to a villain.

I have him at t1 and he can solo an early shadowlands stage assuming it’s not one where he gets Webbed nonstop. If you chain together his stun, gun shot/immunity and his gunshot/jump(usually I cancel the jump) he can keep people in stun/hit stun the whole time and is basically invincible with the heal and invul

Ironfist on the other hand I also have at t1 with uni and struggle to do much besides solo like the first stage

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Tom Gorman posted:

On the same note pop star waifu is really loving good. Like better than Quicksilver good.

She soloed the lv15 avengers level for me at T1

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

So I guess I have to pay more attention to the types of ISO I put on people. Matched sets of the same name work better, or just provide more of a focus in one area of strength?

Whoa, no. You slot ISO in sets.

Go to a character's ISO page
Hit the 'Set bonus' button
hit 'auto set change'
Choose to roll for 8-slot sets

Roll until you get Power of Angry Hulk, Overdrive, or Hawk's eye in that priority order. An argument can be made for Stark backing or I Am Also Groot if it's a character you're going to mainly use in Shadowlands. Dramatic Density Enhancement is good in some very specific cases. All other sets are poop. Be prepared to drop a couple million gold to get one of the good sets. Rolling for ISO sets is an enormous money sink early on but it's worth it.

The set you get will tell you what ISO to slot. Worth noting the character's damage type in their main profile page (it's the first stat) -- don't slot a +physical damage powerful ISO on an energy attack character. You should have some +all attack powerful isos to use instead. Same is true for amplifying. For impregnable and absorbing you ideally want all defence but it doesn't honestly matter as much.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tolkien minority posted:

I have him at t1 and he can solo an early shadowlands stage assuming it’s not one where he gets Webbed nonstop. If you chain together his stun, gun shot/immunity and his gunshot/jump(usually I cancel the jump) he can keep people in stun/hit stun the whole time and is basically invincible with the heal and invul

Ironfist on the other hand I also have at t1 with uni and struggle to do much besides solo like the first stage

I think you need IF at T2 and the Netflix costume. If you have that you can just cover in iframes and shields with is 2-4-5.

I have a bunch of T1 Combats I use in the early stages and I usually try to use as many Speedsters as I can since I have a ton of them who don't prove useful later. So that's probably my problem. By the time I "need" Red Hulk its in the late teens/early 20s. So I guess he's just redundant from the Black Panther, Moon Knight, Punisher, White Tiger, Sandman options i use.

Steve Vader posted:

You want to use 8 iso sets and roll one that is either a big offensive or defensive one depending on the needs. I tend to just kind of default to Offensive Recommendations or a few I like, but when I have a character who seems specifically held back in some way I'll sometimes go in and change it to something more useful for the character. So if your character uses energy skills an iso set that boosts physical attack is a waste. If your character does good damage but dies you want some defensive breaks.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

It's daddy shithead, where's the bourbon?
If Cho and Luna had babies would they be green popsicles?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've never broken 200k in ABX before today and somehow I just got 370k. Not really any idea how it happened. Phoenix with a Santana leadership and Cyclops for the combo. I've run the Santana/Phoenix thing tons of times but Cyclops might have been new. But that shouldn't have made that much difference. I did just buy his costume and it's possible I haven't run this since getting Santana's costume. Still. And I recently got the Loki Cinematic card. So maybe it just all added up?

Whatever it was that's going to be a tough new personal best to top.

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained

STAC Goat posted:

I've never broken 200k in ABX before today and somehow I just got 370k. Not really any idea how it happened. Phoenix with a Santana leadership and Cyclops for the combo. I've run the Santana/Phoenix thing tons of times but Cyclops might have been new. But that shouldn't have made that much difference. I did just buy his costume and it's possible I haven't run this since getting Santana's costume. Still. And I recently got the Loki Cinematic card. So maybe it just all added up?

Whatever it was that's going to be a tough new personal best to top.

Since the Luna Snow update all of the Frost Beasts in ABX are combat types instead of universal, so you're doing more damage with blast types.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Why do some characters have a lower requirement for t2 advancement than others? I noticed Spider-Man, Iron Fist and Cap have half cost to upgrade them.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

They’re the first story characters. It’s a recent change to help people get more T2.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

It happened in the ultimates patch so it was overshadowed by the loot box controversy. Everyone available from chapters 1-8 are cheaper to rank and T2 now. I'm torn between working up a couple more of them and continuing to focus on the meta chars.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Yeah, everyone farmable from story missions up to the SHIELD chapter has reduced requirements. On the next logical question:

Excellent Overall
Captain America
Spider Man

Excellent but Needs Uni
Venom (Anti)
Iron Fist (Marvel's Netflix)
Thor (Ragnarok)

Great but Needs Uni
Ghost Rider (Attilan Rising)
Black Bolt (Attilan Rising)

Great (Needs T2)
Black Widow
Luke Cage
Iron Man

Good (Needs T2)
Vision
Punisher
Green Goblin
Elektra
Bullseye
Doc Oc
Black Panther (Probably the best T1 hero on here and the weakest upgrade from T2)

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

It's daddy shithead, where's the bourbon?
Didn't know Misty Knight gave a bonus to cold damage. Her and Luna are gonna be best buds!!!!

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

So I've already screwed up this 'rolling for ISO sets' thing. I started on MODOK and hit the thing that said "Roll 14 Times" which accomplished nothing and blew all of my gold, so I don't understand what the heck that's even there for.

So it's just a random slot-machine pull, blowing gold until you get something you want?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Steve Vader posted:

So I've already screwed up this 'rolling for ISO sets' thing. I started on MODOK and hit the thing that said "Roll 14 Times" which accomplished nothing and blew all of my gold, so I don't understand what the heck that's even there for.

So it's just a random slot-machine pull, blowing gold until you get something you want?

Yeah it can get pretty expensive so its not worth doing on everyone. It said Roll 14 instead of Roll 20 because that's all the money you had. I had to do Roll 20 about 9 times on Falcon to get a good 8 slot attack set which cost a lot.

Are you at least VIP1? It should say in the top left corner, I think you can get it with one purchase of the stark stash or the 20 bios daily sub which are relatively cheap. Reason I ask is if you are at least VIP 1 then a main goal to help with your gold income is to do Co-Op Play as much as you can. You can get up to 5 rewards from it a day (once you have 15-30 people to throw at it), and the second slot which opens up at VIP1 is always gold. The rewards scale up based on how many different characters you have at 4* or better and level 40+. This and the gold + xp chips daily quest are my main source of gold income. It does cost clear tickets to open the reward chests though, and to use the checkbox which automates the process to make it less trouble.

This game is very much a long term game and has a lot of stuff to do that isn't immediately obvious so don't worry about too much. It's best to focus on goals like a character you want to obtain or rank up, or an epic quest to work on, or a world boss or shadowlands level that you want to beat. I tried typing up everything I do each day in the game in an email to a friend and it was pretty ridiculous, and I don't nearly do everything I could be doing to be most efficient. So don't let things overwhelm you.

1.21 GIGATWATS
Dec 15, 2005

I GOT ELEVEN OF THESE!

Steve Vader posted:

Yup. Welcome to Marvel Future Fight!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

NmareBfly posted:

Yeah, everyone farmable from story missions up to the SHIELD chapter has reduced requirements. On the next logical question:

Excellent Overall
Captain America
Spider Man

Excellent but Needs Uni
Venom (Anti)
Iron Fist (Marvel's Netflix)
Thor (Ragnarok)

Great but Needs Uni
Ghost Rider (Attilan Rising)
Black Bolt (Attilan Rising)

Great (Needs T2)
Black Widow
Luke Cage
Iron Man

Good (Needs T2)
Vision
Punisher
Green Goblin
Elektra
Bullseye
Doc Oc
Black Panther (Probably the best T1 hero on here and the weakest upgrade from T2)

Well good thing I have cap ready to go, already have Hobo IF, and already t2 Black Panther and Thor, with CW and Ragnarok costumes respectively. I've just been using T2 for months to t2 people other than mutants because they're super easy, but then I've put a lot of work in maxing out Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch and Dr Strange so i needed a lot of Dark Matter for that. I think i'd rather t2 regular heroes than work on world bosses. I only got Dom to 55 because then I can clear his quest.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

bagrada posted:

Yeah it can get pretty expensive so its not worth doing on everyone. It said Roll 14 instead of Roll 20 because that's all the money you had. I had to do Roll 20 about 9 times on Falcon to get a good 8 slot attack set which cost a lot.

Are you at least VIP1? It should say in the top left corner, I think you can get it with one purchase of the stark stash or the 20 bios daily sub which are relatively cheap. Reason I ask is if you are at least VIP 1 then a main goal to help with your gold income is to do Co-Op Play as much as you can. You can get up to 5 rewards from it a day (once you have 15-30 people to throw at it), and the second slot which opens up at VIP1 is always gold. The rewards scale up based on how many different characters you have at 4* or better and level 40+. This and the gold + xp chips daily quest are my main source of gold income. It does cost clear tickets to open the reward chests though, and to use the checkbox which automates the process to make it less trouble.

This game is very much a long term game and has a lot of stuff to do that isn't immediately obvious so don't worry about too much. It's best to focus on goals like a character you want to obtain or rank up, or an epic quest to work on, or a world boss or shadowlands level that you want to beat. I tried typing up everything I do each day in the game in an email to a friend and it was pretty ridiculous, and I don't nearly do everything I could be doing to be most efficient. So don't let things overwhelm you.

I guess I don't know why "Roll a bunch of times that you never see results for so you might accidentally blow right past what you want" is an option. What's the advantage of that?

I'm VIP2. I do like the Co-Op Play.

I'm not fretting o'ermuch, but this is all helpful to learn things I didn't even know I wasn't doing, and I suppose it didn't occur to me that some characters would be meta. You'd think they'd balance power levels out a bit, but I guess not. So I've got Cyclops up to 6-star mastery, although I hate that 90s look so I'm hoping he'll get a decent costume eventually.

Here are the others I've got closest to T2:

Black Bolt
Absorbing Man
Titania
Miss America
Ancient One
Anti-Man
Captain America
Quake
Songbird

And here are the characters I'd be most interested in working on:

Skurge
Sandman
Rhino
Hulk
Cap Marvel
Groot (Baby Costume)
Red Hulk
Yondu
Vulture
Satana
Hulkbuster
Kate Bishop
Misty Knight
Moon Knight (and I'd like to get his white costume)
She-Hulk
Agent Venom (although I'd much rather have his Snake-Eyes look instead of this blockhead thing)

Any opinions on how crappy or good some of these characters are?

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 27, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hulk is pretty solid with the gladiator or ragnarok costume.

I know early on Yondu was popular, but so was Yellowjacket.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

I guess I don't know why "Roll a bunch of times that you never see results for so you might accidentally blow right past what you want" is an option. What's the advantage of that?

You're telling it to roll 20 times looking for an 8 ISO set. Whenever it hits one it'll stop, even if it's the first roll. But yeah to roll AN attack set expect to spend something like 5 million pulling the slot machine. To get the IDEAL one (ie, overdrive or angry hulk) you can drop 20 mil if you're unlucky. It's kind of the worst money sink in the game.

Black Bolt (get his tuxedo uni) and Songbird are both really solid T2's. BB is also easier to T2 since he's farmable from the first bunch of story missions. Songbird isn't quite as amazing as she used to be but she can roll through SL stages quite easily since you can juggle her stuns to keep people perma-incapacitated once you get the rotation down.

Anti-man is amazeballs but impossible to normally farm so don't worry about him.

Agent Venom (although I'd much rather have his Snake-Eyes look instead of this blockhead thing)
Hulk (with costume)
Vulture (with costume)
Satana
Sandman
Skurge
Red Hulk (need uni)
Cap Marvel
Groot (bab)
Moon Knight (and I'd like to get his white costume)
Kate Bishop
She-Hulk

All these are good to very good, though some are situational and they aren't all as farmable as others. Shulk for instance isn't actually great herself but she has a stellar leadership. Hulk is only good with his Ragnarok costume and is otherwise garbo. Captain Marvel is pretty decent and you can get her bios from Villain Siege so she's easy enough to farm.

Agent Venom is the best on this list but you have to get his bios from the bio subscription.

Yellow Jacket is still really good, Yondu's kinda meh. Workable but not great.

E: I put them in a rough order of goodness but I also deleted the ones I think are bad.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 27, 2018

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Yondu is pretty dang good with his gotg2 costume. Easily solos high teen shadowlands.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

NmareBfly posted:

You're telling it to roll 20 times looking for an 8 ISO set. Whenever it hits one it'll stop, even if it's the first roll. But yeah to roll AN attack set expect to spend something like 5 million pulling the slot machine. To get the IDEAL one (ie, overdrive or angry hulk) you can drop 20 mil if you're unlucky. It's kind of the worst money sink in the game.

Thanks for the tips on characters. And I guess I got a little lucky with Cyclops, as I got that Hawk's Eye set after a handful of spins. Does Overdrive or Angry Hulk just work on anybody?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Steve Vader posted:

Thanks for the tips on characters. And I guess I got a little lucky with Cyclops, as I got that Hawk's Eye set after a handful of spins. Does Overdrive or Angry Hulk just work on anybody?

For now go with whichever you roll first. Once you get great cards slotted you can start worrying about things like having too much attack speed. You might also want to consider stopping on I Am Also Groot if the character you are rolling for does decent damage already but is a bit squishy. I dont know enough about the rest. If you get any other 8, check out the stats and see if it will be good enough for now, and avoid slotting any awakened (red star) isos unless it is one of your main characters and you're sure it will still fit if your goal is angry hulk or whichever down the line.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Okay. Just won 100 Biometrics and pondering who to spend on.

What's the best Captain America costume? Or will it probably be the Nomad look from Infinity War?

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe

Steve Vader posted:

Quicksilver has a buff that overwrites the ISO buff, so those aren't so great on him. I'm not sure about other people.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Steve Vader posted:

Okay. Just won 100 Biometrics and pondering who to spend on.

What's the best Captain America costume? Or will it probably be the Nomad look from Infinity War?

I've heard that its the Marvel Now one, so Hydra Cap. I have the Civil War one.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

twistedmentat posted:

I've got the AoU one on him now. I'm not getting Nazi Cap. I have some principles. I'm unable to bring myself to level up Red Skull or Sin, thanks to the current political (polshitical?) climate.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Has Red Skull ever been a playable character in any other games? I assume he has as a villain (like in Marvel Heroes).

I feel like maybe that's why Skull (and Sin) are among the worst characters. Maybe they don't want to make card carrying super-nazis good, recommended characters. I can't say I'd disagree though if that were the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

twistedmentat posted:

I would imagine both Cap and Black Panther (and probably Bucky) will be getting new costumes very soon. The BP movie comes out next month with Infinity War the month after. Might be a good idea to see what comes out from that before spending crystals on current costumes.