Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Hustlin Floh posted:

Here's a fun idea to get the thread going: take pics of your top three all-time MVPs (Most Valuable Pokes) and put them ITT. I'll get mine when I get home.

But my top all time poke's list is 806 long. 807 if I can make it Alolan Golem instead of Kanto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm a sucker for Dark types
Umbreon & Absol especially

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Hustlin Floh posted:

Here's a fun idea to get the thread going: take pics of your top three all-time MVPs (Most Valuable Pokes) and put them ITT. I'll get mine when I get home.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I impulsively bought Crystal last night while on a bender and am making a point to use lovely Pokemon to up the challenge. Furret and Noctowl are two picks, maybe I'll use Sudowoodo!!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

The Golden Gael posted:

I impulsively bought Crystal last night while on a bender and am making a point to use lovely Pokemon to up the challenge. Furret and Noctowl are two picks, maybe I'll use Sudowoodo!!

Did you pick Chikorita

Make sure you use Ledian.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Look no further than Ariados

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Back when I played HeartGold I wanted to use Ledian because he was one of my favs, but he was a Sliver exclusive. So I bred one in my Platinum, traded the egg to HG, hatched it there, traded it back to Platinum, and tutored it Air Cutter and Bug Buzz, and maybe sometimes it was actually useful every now and again.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Just beat Sun with Decidueye, Absol, Mudsdale, Alolan Raichu, Vaporeon and Flareon. I love them all but I still have a soft spot for 'Bulbasaur', the Venusaur who was my starter back when I played Pokemon Blue. I was not good at nicknames back then. Used a Venusaur in X too, he was a goddamn beast.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Reinanigans posted:

Did you pick Chikorita

Make sure you use Ledian.

Already picked Totodile before I got the idea, but at least it's something I've never used. Ariados is in there now.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Man, for all the love Gen 4 gave to Gen 2, they really should've invested in even more evolutions. There's way too much in Gen 2 that's just bad.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

If I own sun should I get ultra sun or crystal first? Going for the most rare mons here

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Ultra Sun is basically the mons from Sun, plus a tiny handful of all-new mons(pretty much all Ultra Beasts).

Crystal is a completely different set of mons, including a few legendaries(although some of them can be found in USUM). It's probably closer to what you want if you're on a rare mon kick.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Hustlin Floh posted:

Roserade

shiny mega Gardevoir

Greninja/Noivern

I have a ton more but I tried to narrow it down to my favorites and how much rear end I can kick with them. Sorry I haven't been around, one my cats may be dying and that's taking up a lot of my time. I'll get a comprehensive list of shinies up here later.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Crystal VC is out, so I'm going to post my thoughts on doing well in gen 2.

Most Pokémon have abysmally bad movesets where they never learn important STAB or coverage moves, or only do so very late in the game. Most of the TMs are also unhelpful garbage. Combine these two things with generation 2's broken leveling curve that discourages swapping out Pokémon, and you might get stuck with dead weight. Might be worth doing a little research on movesets.

What movesets ARE good? Anything that can use Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, or Fire Punch remotely well has a huge advantage. (Keep in mind that they run off of special attack in gen 2.) The TMs are buyable for 3000 a pop in Goldenrod. Kadabra steamrolls everything if you want something straightforward.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Just finished Rainbow Rocket after taking like a week off (sorry to leave you hanging so long, Lillie). Great stuff. Didn't have any problem with Giovanni but I did manage to lose my first shot at Lysandre. This game has way more little fun moments in it than regular SuMo, but so many of them are really easy to miss. Today I got to see the Team Skull guy who almost quit because he couldn't do the gang signs right and reunited some old folks in Heahea city. And got the Trial Guide shirt and hat. Crafty fuckin Ilima sends you into a trap!

If anybody gives a poo poo about this kind of thing, my X-Files team is as follows:
Beheyem: "Ultra Peanut"
Eelektross: "Flukeman"
Muk-A: "Tooms"
Minior: "Tunguska"
Totem Araquanid: "CGB Spider"
Scrafty: "DPO" which would have been a better nick for a Psychic/Electric type but gently caress it, dude reminded me of young Giovanni Ribisi from that episode.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
Every pokemon is bad unless you like it and then it's good

HeartNotes3
Jun 25, 2013
My sister caught me a shiny Eevee which is really cool. I'm undecided which Eeveelution to pick, though--trying to decide which one has the best colors.

Someone lie to me and tell me when the Pokemon for the Switch comes out.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

HeartNotes3 posted:

My sister caught me a shiny Eevee which is really cool. I'm undecided which Eeveelution to pick, though--trying to decide which one has the best colors.

Someone lie to me and tell me when the Pokemon for the Switch comes out.

Get yourself a Limeon (Espeon or Jolteon)
Or whatever eeveelution that covers a type the rest of your team doesn't if you wanna be tactical about it
Don't bother with Shiny Glaceon or Leafeon though, since the differences are negligible (lighter and darker versions of the base colors respectively)

PokéSwitch is probably coming out between November 2018/November 2019 because nobody has ever heard of pacing nowadays

Just ask the Sun/Moon anime writers

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Here are my favorite three that I currently have.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

HeartNotes3 posted:

If it's got a +SpA or Speed nature I'd name it Aleon and go with Espeon.
If the nature is un-ideal I've found you can make Umbreon work with drat near everything and it looks like a Tron dude.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Diet Poison posted:

go with Espeon.

:whitewater:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

If it's got Hidden Ability make it a Sylveon, if it doesn't go with Umbreon or Vaporeon

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

It’s less awful a green nowadays.

But why did my favorite Eeveelution get the short end of the stick. :(

Also, get Umbreon. It’s not super useful in game but it’s shiny is cool.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

It’s less awful a green nowadays.

But why did my favorite Eeveelution get the short end of the stick. :(

Also, get Umbreon. It’s not super useful in game but it’s shiny is cool.

Have to go with this or sylveon as prettiest shinies. Although hidden ability makes a big difference.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Shiny Espeon is basically Final Fantasy’s Carbuncle.

Therefore, it’s the cutest shiny of all those evolution crazy foxes.

HeartNotes3
Jun 25, 2013
I'm actually really happy so many people like the Limeade Espeon too. It does look really cool.

The purple Vaporeon is also nice, but my Toxapexx will always be my favorite, even if I never did find one with that goddamn healing ability.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Green Espeon would be cooler if half the Gen 2 shinies weren't also green.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

HeartNotes3 posted:

I'm actually really happy so many people like the Limeade Espeon too. It does look really cool.

The purple Vaporeon is also nice, but my Toxapexx will always be my favorite, even if I never did find one with that goddamn healing ability.

Want me to breed you one?

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I've been replaying gen 2 on virtual console recently and I've honestly come to like it way more than I recalled. Problem is there is still the problem of horrible move sets for a lot of Pokemon (I almost gave up on Xatu in gold). I've decided to pre breed a team for crystal, just as sort of a gently caress you to the game. So far I've decided on Chinchou, Houndour, Swinub and Zubat. I'm also going to roll with the Celebi you can catch, even though I usually never play with legendaries. Not really sure what to do for my last spot, I'm just looking to roll the game and have a strong team for catching gen 2 stuff.

Does the cloning trick still work in Crystal?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Filthy Haiku posted:

I've been replaying gen 2 on virtual console recently and I've honestly come to like it way more than I recalled. Problem is there is still the problem of horrible move sets for a lot of Pokemon (I almost gave up on Xatu in gold). I've decided to pre breed a team for crystal, just as sort of a gently caress you to the game. So far I've decided on Chinchou, Houndour, Swinub and Zubat. I'm also going to roll with the Celebi you can catch, even though I usually never play with legendaries. Not really sure what to do for my last spot, I'm just looking to roll the game and have a strong team for catching gen 2 stuff.

Yup. Careful with the timing though, a corrupted clone forced me to start a new game

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I just realized Celebi is post game only, so back to my original plan of murdering everything with starmie. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

A lime green shiny is still better than a "basically indistinguishable from the regular version with the naked eye" shiny.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

A lime green shiny is still better than a "basically indistinguishable from the regular version with the naked eye" shiny.

I'll have you know Garchomp is the best and most original shiny Pokemon in the entire franchise.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Garchomp can go die.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

iospace posted:

Garchomp can go die.

He does if you use Ice Beam on him.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kurieg posted:

He does if you use Ice Beam on him.

Very true!

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'll have you know Garchomp is the best and most original shiny Pokemon in the entire franchise.

Megagarchomp is hilariously pink though. I hatched a shiny Gabite while I was breeding for the hidden ability, and almost let it go before I saw that it was shiny with the little star.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Filthy Haiku posted:

While the original games did have signifcant issues with balance, they were actually better than a lot of other gens about making most mons viable in game if you know what you're doing. Gen 1 gives you a ton of really good TMs early that can make up for bad level up movesets. Gen 2 and 3 are not nearly as nice to pokemon with bad level up movesets.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

dude789 posted:

While the original games did have signifcant issues with balance, they were actually better than a lot of other gens about making most mons viable in game if you know what you're doing. Gen 1 gives you a ton of really good TMs early that can make up for bad level up movesets. Gen 2 and 3 are not nearly as nice to pokemon with bad level up movesets.

Yeah but then if you're the kind of person who hoards the single-use unbuyable TMs because "what if I want to use it on something else later?!" that does you no good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Years of farming BP for single use TMs that didn't even carry over between games