Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Québécoise calice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Order a lot of Poutine but act astonished at how good it is there, and how surprised you are to find it outside of Vancouver.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Chanukah

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Quebec Qcoitus

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Quebege a trois

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Hey tabarnak j'te dis qu'vous avez pas grand chose à faire sti.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Pandasmores posted:

Quebege a trois

There it is, found the band name.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The fitz has arrived in mississippi to begin repairs.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
gently caress, Djibouti is terrible.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yes it is.

In other news, it turns out that water, is infact wet.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So happy to be supporting this exercise. I’m learning a ton about how to yell at people for piggybacking in secure areas.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Protip: Nobles get mad when you fail MCI.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

CMD598 posted:

Protip: Nobles get mad when you fail MCI.

Lol yeah I bet that messes up liberty for a bit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So hey, did you guys see in the CE thread that the smallpox vaccine any of us got from 2007-2009 was actually an experimental strain to test and see if it would cause a strong enough autoimmune response to trigger a heart attack?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

So hey, did you guys see in the CE thread that the smallpox vaccine any of us got from 2007-2009 was actually an experimental strain to test and see if it would cause a strong enough autoimmune response to trigger a heart attack?

Still alive. Guess it worked?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Laranzu posted:

Still alive. Guess it worked?

Indeed. It's actually replaced our strategic smallpox defense stockpile.

But still we were all unwitting guinea pigs in a study that could have easily killed a bunch of us.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The unknowing guinea pig is the best guinea pig.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mr. Nice! posted:

Indeed. It's actually replaced our strategic smallpox defense stockpile.

But still we were all unwitting guinea pigs in a study that could have easily killed a bunch of us.

Well that is horrifying.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Flikken posted:

Well that is horrifying.

At least Chief would have died too. And probably before me judging by his cardiovascular health.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Flikken posted:

Well that is horrifying.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2880337/ if you wanna read about it

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

study posted:

To enhance preparedness in the event of an intentional release of smallpox, a 2002 presidential initiative recommended vaccination of enlisted military members, and voluntary participation for civilian health care workers

I know it's probably just scientists not understanding enlisted and officer but I'd also lol if nobles specifically opted themselves out.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The AF certainly didn't tell us.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Boggled my mind why we were getting a smallpox vaccine in TYOOL 2007, and fills in a lot of the gaps I was curious about at the time.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I've seen job listings require smallpox vaccine as a way to make sure only ex-govt/mil employees get it lol

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, hello VA comp for that.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
congrats on finally contributing something useful

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Well, I got mine in 2004, so I'm kinda bummed I didn't get the super improved version.

Related: One of our HMs was administering smallpox to crew members for a few hours, walked over to the sink, and rubbed his eye with a gloved hand like a total idiot. He developed a nasty infection in that eye, it was all swollen and oozing and gross for a week. Way to go.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

i assume marines got it as well

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Checked my immunization records and despite going through bootcamp in that time frame I didn't get it. Lucky me? Just waiting to die from the great smallpox outbreak of 2019 now.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Also two random questions for people who are still in

Where the hell can I buy those black hard plastic post binders they use for reactor plant manuals (I need to make a heavy duty tech pub for archive)

and

We had a "Blue Book" discrepancy log, and i'm trying to figure out if it was a custom printed item or if its in the stock system from some distributor that I can buy one from. It had three blank forms per page, and you'd write down whatever was broken or needed upgrading. Had boxes for initials of the supervisors and routing chain, and another set of boxes so those same people could be routed it when it was fixed for closeout. Even if it was something small. It was a really useful book for keeping track of little things over years that we finally got fixed in shipyard, like "airflow in 9 man berthing is hosed up, but thermostat has been tested and is working just fine" which just needed a new restrictor plate slapped in when they were ripping apart stuff anyway.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

M_Gargantua posted:

Checked my immunization records and despite going through bootcamp in that time frame I didn't get it. Lucky me? Just waiting to die from the great smallpox outbreak of 2019 now.

It wasn't a bootcamp vaccine. We got it on our ship out in japan before going to korea. It would be ludicrous to give the smallpox vaccine (of any variety) to people at bootcamp. You end up with a nasty rear end puss filled wound on your arm that turns into a dime sized scab over the process of 2-3 weeks before it falls off and you heal up with just a scar remaining. People only get it if they're going someplace where they might need it.

You'd only have got it if you were going to a place that requires the smallpox vaccine. People outside the study timeframe from before it started just got the old vaccine and anyone after the end of the study has gotten the now proven safe one.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Well they must have thought that exposure to Anthrax was possible, I got baby's first bio terrorism covered.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

M_Gargantua posted:

Well they must have thought that exposure to Anthrax was possible, I got baby's first bio terrorism covered.

Once again, depends on where you were going in the world, or are you saying they gave you the smallpox vaccine at boot camp? I got that one on the ship as well.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

DustyNuts posted:

Well, I got mine in 2004, so I'm kinda bummed I didn't get the super improved version.

Related: One of our HMs was administering smallpox to crew members for a few hours, walked over to the sink, and rubbed his eye with a gloved hand like a total idiot. He developed a nasty infection in that eye, it was all swollen and oozing and gross for a week. Way to go.

Thats the fun aspect of giving us all the smallpox vaccine aboard the ship. Everyone has this itchy spot covered by a bandaid and people are scratching in their sleep and rubbing their eyes and everyone is using the same handholds/rails on the ship just spreading it around. It was a miserable week where I avoided touching any common surfaces I could, let others open the berthing door/cypher locks, didnt use the handrails, and bathed my hands in purell. I emerged unscathed but yeah lot of hosed up eyes in our squadron.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Coasties all get (got, at least in 05) the Smallpox vaccine in bootcamp, and they drove the fear of GOD into us about keeping those blisters covered and protected. We even swam a bunch with them.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

M_Gargantua posted:

For us, it was a predeployment thing. You would absolutely remember it, it's not a normal injection. They take a tiny needle and poke your shoulder a whole bunch of times in a little circle, maybe 1/2" across. It becomes an oozy disgusting mess that you need to keep covered most of the time because you don't want that poo poo touching anything. Then air it out whenever possible until it scabs over and falls apart, leaving a permanent scar.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Probably a combination of things. Obviously if you are itchy in your sleep you are going to scratch unconsciously. We were doing donuts in the gulf of aden so it was stupid hot and I'm sure that everyone was sweating their bandages off and so on. Plus we had marines aboard and they already don't believe in washing their hands ("it toughens up our immune systems!").

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

Probably a combination of things. Obviously if you are itchy in your sleep you are going to scratch unconsciously. We were doing donuts in the gulf of aden so it was stupid hot and I'm sure that everyone was sweating their bandages off and so on. Plus we had marines aboard and they already don't believe in washing their hands ("it toughens up our immune systems!").

Who the gently caress was their doc?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Got anthrax, no smallpox.

I did however get all my childhood vaccinations a second time because I didn't know I needed my medical records for boot camp. Could be why I find repetitive behavior so calming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Got anthrax, no smallpox.

I did however get all my childhood vaccinations a second time because I didn't know I needed my medical records for boot camp. Could be why I find repetitive behavior so calming

When I reaffiliated with the reserves, my medical record got sent hard-copy to my NOSC. Someone did something when entering immunization records, because come pre-deployment, they marked me off for anthrax and smallpox, even though I'd never had either.

In the record, I'm listed as having "ANTHRAX BOOSTER 3 of 5" as my only shot in the anthrax series, and apparently NMPS thinks that's good enough. Also, "SMALLPOX ADMINISTERED" with no dates or lot numbers (or visible scar) is good enough to get sent into a warzone.

But I got typhoid again, and the live typhod in phenol messes me up for a week after....