Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I hope he plays that Behold The Arctopus song with that thing and does it with 100% sincerity to make you mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

I hope he plays that Behold The Arctopus song with that thing and does it with 100% sincerity to make you mad.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

That would be funny though.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Trig Discipline posted:

I have no idea who he is and didn't realize that the guitar was supposed to be a joke.

He's a reasonably talented musician with a reasonably smug and punchable face who makes viral skits on youtube with themes like "10 things bassists say in the studio" or "10 types of pop punk vocalists" and other observational humor, mostly from the metal scene. Like other youtube celebrity guitarists like Steve Terreberry, Rob Scallon and Kmac2021 he also has a strong fascination with "djent", that has long since stopped being a genre and started becoming a meme. Dines also does collaborative videos with his peers and a "guitar battle" jam-off called "shred wars". I haven't watched anything by him in a while (due to said punchability and not finding him that funny), but i saw Kmac2021 schooled him real good in the latest "shred wars" where Dines was doing cliched binary djent on his 8 string and Kmac was playing interesting and intricate riffs on a 6 string telecaster.

Haha, just checked out the 17 string saga. This reporter has a good take on it, why didn't he just auction it off for charity instead of reacting like a literal child that his joke instrument that was to be used for a joke segment on his youtube channel wasn't a hand crafted labor of love that a dedicated luthier whittled out of the finest tone woods?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-zNTa0qBRc

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
honestly it's a brilliant marketing coup for ormsby to legit build that fuckin thing for him.

i do wish jared dines would stop wearing snapback hats back to front though, he looks hello-fellow-kids as gently caress

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

The guy who was claiming to be building his guitar was farming out previous orders to China but decided to just keep his money and not give him anything because ripping off someone with a huge social media presence couldn't possibly backfire.
Bummer. :(

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It's just a cheapo Jackson, no harm done.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Want

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Maybe don't invite SunnO))) (the band) to demo your new products?

JK JK I have no idea whose booth that was.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Are SunnO))) actually louder than Motörhead, Dinosaur Jr, the Melvins or early Isis? I actually remember being at an early (Oceanic-era) Isis show and having to break out the ear-plugs.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wark Say posted:

Are SunnO))) actually louder than Motörhead, Dinosaur Jr, the Melvins or early Isis? I actually remember being at an early (Oceanic-era) Isis show and having to break out the ear-plugs.

There's some evidence suggest they're a little bit louder. For example, this copy of their backline diagram/technical rider from their 2005 tour says they play at 125dB stage volume:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the one time i saw them they were about as loud as the melvins when they toured with david scott stone

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
motorhead wasn't actually louder than any other band but their setup was so mid-focused it sounded like they were. also mikkey dee's kick drum had a lot more impact since it wasn't fighting for space with the low end

not sure if they intended it that way beyond that was the sound lemmy liked but it was pretty clever

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It’s not just the volume but the frequency of Sunn, it makes weird internal parts of your body start vibrating. Like your sinuses will come alive all of a sudden.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Snowy posted:

It’s not just the volume but the frequency of Sunn, it makes weird internal parts of your body start vibrating. Like your sinuses will come alive all of a sudden.

My friend loves them and went to see them and it wasn't something he could describe properly, he just said everything was just shaking no matter where the gently caress you were in the venue. He had a video from the back of the venue of a cup of water on a table somewhere and it was straight up Jurassic Park poo poo.

Sounds like a really cool thing to experience.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
The video my friend took involved a pool table vibrating across the floor at the back as they played.

I don't think they are really that much louder than any other band who have a decent PA set to stun (MBV, Mono, Boris etc.), but in terms of stage volume and intensity they're definitely doing their own thing. They get loud immediately and stay constant at that level for the whole show.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

darkwasthenight posted:

The video my friend took involved a pool table vibrating across the floor at the back as they played.

I don't think they are really that much louder than any other band who have a decent PA set to stun (MBV, Mono, Boris etc.), but in terms of stage volume and intensity they're definitely doing their own thing. They get loud immediately and stay constant at that level for the whole show.
That sound stupid as gently caress to me.

I've worked with dozens or drummers and bassists and (OMFG) guitarists. The ability to be loud is not the ability to be good. I've personally kicked out sound guys who insisted on mic'ing and EQ'ing a piccolo snare to sound like an LA fat snare while also deafening our audience with piercing highs and ridiculous lows that their own subs couldn't handle without farting and making GBS threads. It was like a point of pride for these idiots.

I mean, if being the loudest thing since a MOAB is your thing, then ok; good on ya; if that's what your audience is there for.

THAT is some stupid music poo poo.

I want to make music and I want people to hear it and feel it and be moved by it. I don't want them to think that the quality of the show has something to do with how many days their ears are still ringing after the last song.
No, I am not the rear end in a top hat requiring everyone in the audience to have their own headphones for perfect fidelity.

Now, PA systems have become quite monstrous in terms of SPL since then, but that doesn't make music sound good.

P.S. - Every drummer who told me, with a proud smile, "I'm the loudest drummer you'll ever meet" couldn't play for poo poo and didn't last a full audition with my bandmates, because they couldn't play a song.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
people are literally moved by it and physically feel it. maybe if your music only makes people metaphorically feel it you should get better at music?

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I saw a band play called Beast in the Field, in a small to medium size venue. Drumset was miced, but the guitar player was not and played through 4 amp heads with 8 custom giant ported 4x12, and running and octave down pedal I think. To this day I have not experienced anything quite like it. It was the single loudest band I have seen, every note the guitar player played hit you in the chest like a hammer.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dr. Faustus posted:

I've worked with dozens or drummers and bassists and (OMFG) guitarists. The ability to be loud is not the ability to be good. I've personally kicked out sound guys who insisted on mic'ing and EQ'ing a piccolo snare to sound like an LA fat snare while also deafening our audience with piercing highs and ridiculous lows that their own subs couldn't handle without farting and making GBS threads. It was like a point of pride for these idiots.

I mean, if being the loudest thing since a MOAB is your thing, then ok; good on ya; if that's what your audience is there for.

I want to make music and I want people to hear it and feel it and be moved by it. I don't want them to think that the quality of the show has something to do with how many days their ears are still ringing after the last song.
No, I am not the rear end in a top hat requiring everyone in the audience to have their own headphones for perfect fidelity.

Now, PA systems have become quite monstrous in terms of SPL since then, but that doesn't make music sound good.

P.S. - Every drummer who told me, with a proud smile, "I'm the loudest drummer you'll ever meet" couldn't play for poo poo and didn't last a full audition with my bandmates, because they couldn't play a song.

I feel you 100% on this but honestly Sunn is a different case. The band might as well be a religion based on sound. Without the volume you’re not getting the experience live or on album. It’s all about the textures and atmosphere, the physical way that invisible sound waves can affect you.

Like, the average band? gently caress no. Turn your poo poo down and play good music. But Sunn gets a pass because no one is doing what they do.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i like driving down the street blasting sunn so people think there's a refrigerator running somewhere near them

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I feel you 100% on this but honestly Sunn is a different case. The band might as well be a religion based on sound. Without the volume you’re not getting the experience live or on album. It’s all about the textures and atmosphere, the physical way that invisible sound waves can affect you.

Like, the average band? gently caress no. Turn your poo poo down and play good music. But Sunn gets a pass because no one is doing what they do.

Swans was also impressive for having a sound range of "pin drop quiet" slowly rising to "unrelenting wall of sound" and back down again, sometimes multiple times in the same song. Loud for the sake of loud is dumb but they used some serious dynamics for the live show.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Swans was the loudest show I'd ever seen until Boris. And I don't know if seeing Sleep last week was louder than Boris, but it was certainly close at least.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
According to one of my lecturers many years ago, he saw Swans in the 80s and it was so loud the venue couldn't hear the telephones ringing with complaints about the volume.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

NonzeroCircle posted:

According to one of my lecturers many years ago, he saw Swans in the 80s and it was so loud the venue couldn't hear the telephones ringing with complaints about the volume.
lmao

I don't know how people were able to order drinks at the bar at the venue where I saw Swans and Boris. Like those bartenders must have some crazy good hearing to be able to understand drink orders over immense volume like that. Or maybe they have good earplugs that makes it easier to manage. Because the bar at that venue isn't even super far away from the stage. Like there's the stage, then a pit area, then you step up and there's the bar in the center right behind the pit area with booths/seating on both sides of the bar.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Snowy posted:

I actually went to Google Play and bought The Black One, since it was available for 3 bucks. I just finished listening to it in its entirety and... uh, I feel like I kinda have to pee? :confuoot:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odmilm-jpLo

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
In the same few months I saw The Melvins and Dino, but both were blown away by the loudest concert I've ever heard: The K--Pop band BTS.

Note that the band wasn't loud, it was the goddamn arena full of screaming girls.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

It's not a dick measuring contest it's about a specific physical experience.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

It's not a dick measuring contest it's about a specific physical experience.

He’s trying to compare it to guitar shredder music, it’s never going to make sense.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i like driving down the street blasting sunn so people think there's a refrigerator running somewhere near them
I wish they had been around back when I was in high school and knew people who spent every cent on subwoofers for their cars.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Dr. Faustus posted:

I mean, generally I agree with you to the point where my duo will actively avoid using amplification wherever possible, but Sunn and Swans are not making normal music. With Swans the dynamics and physicality is very much part of the presentation, and Sunn are almost going for a sensory deprivation kind of effect through sheer volume. I've been to loud shows before where I started hearing phantom melodies and overtone because my ears couldn't process the input properly even with plugs - Sunn are taking that to what you might call it's illogical conclusion.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I thought the dynamic with Swans was raping women.

edit: Michael Gira allegedly raped a friend of his who was on his label. Gira's defense was that he was drunk and can't remember but he definitely didn't do it. Sorry for being an edgelord.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 30, 2018

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

All members of Sunn o))) are possessed by the ghosts of whales. You can't convince me otherwise.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I thought the dynamic with Swans was raping women.

edit: Michael Gira allegedly raped a friend of his who was on his label. Gira's defense was that he was drunk and can't remember but he definitely didn't do it. Sorry for being an edgelord.
Yeah, Gira is a creep, but Thor Harris (former Swans drummer) was a bro and I'm thankful for his teachings. Loved his stint on Shearwater, too. And his tips on being a touring band have been consistently helpful to this day. Almost every band that has recorded with me has read them (they were, from December 2010 'til I semi-retired in February 2017, printed out and pinned in my studio's bulletin board).

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Dr. Faustus posted:

their own subs couldn't handle without farting and making GBS threads

What's the difference between a subwoofer farting and a subwoofer making GBS threads? A little tone foam comes out?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I think I've just been marked by too many years of the "louder = better" crowd ruining shows I've attended or performed by going for volume for its own sake. If that's not the case with those other bands, so be it.

Right here, see? Right here is where the evil sound man touched me.

*points to butthole

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

I think I've just been marked by too many years of the "louder = better" crowd ruining shows I've attended or performed by going for volume for its own sake. If that's not the case with those other bands, so be it.

Right here, see? Right here is where the evil sound man touched me.

*points to butthole

I think both things are true here: the volume arms race is lame but Sunn isn’t really trying to be hyper masculine and the tag doesn’t apply to them imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
also their stage setup is typically just the two guitars and occasionally a vocal or synth so it's not like there's a ton of instruments competing to be heard over each other