Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

No, but seriously

I'd definitely listen to a 4 hour history of competitive fighting

I would too, but I'd worry he'd gently caress it up.

Unless he's actually boxed himself, in which case it would be loving awesome, but I doubt he has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I mean, if you think about it, right, Muhammad Ali is sort of the Wehrmacht on the eve of World War 1, while others, your Conor Macgregor types, would be the army of Alexander the Great, uhm, in that situation. But let's think about that for a second. If aliens came down to earth and saw this, sort of, Napoleon's Grand Armee type thing, fighting bare knuckled against Rocky Marciano, the Mongol horde I guess you could call it, what would they say?

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

webmeister posted:

I mean, if you think about it, right, Muhammad Ali is sort of the Wehrmacht on the eve of World War 1, while others, your Conor Macgregor types, would be the army of Alexander the Great, uhm, in that situation. But let's think about that for a second. If aliens came down to earth and saw this, sort of, Napoleon's Grand Armee type thing, fighting bare knuckled against Rocky Marciano, the Mongol horde I guess you could call it, what would they say?

:golfclap:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Someone mail Dan a copy of unforgivable blackness .

The Real Quaid
Jun 29, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Someone mail Dan a copy of unforgivable blackness.

The History on Fire podcast recently finished a series on Jack Johnson... as someone that knew nothing about the guy or boxing in that era, I found it pretty interesting, worth a listen. The presenter is a friend of Dan Carlin, and in one of the episodes shares Carlin's favourite anecdote about Johnson, so I reckon Dan already has a copy.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
New Inward Empire is up and it’s about the Pinkerton police force used to break up strikes in the late-19th century!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Thwomp posted:

New Inward Empire is up and it’s about the Pinkerton police force used to break up strikes in the late-19th century!

Hell yeah, it's about time.
Part one! I hope I'm not waiting another six months for part two.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 19, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Count Roland posted:

That there's any backlash against Carlin is shocking to me, but he's popular, which means he'll have detractors.

Maybe this has been done to death in this thread, but how/why is Carlin out of date?

Historians and milhist people say he's wrong, outdated, or uses horrible analogies. Fans that don't care about that will say WTF one 4hr ep a year!?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Thwomp posted:

I'd never heard of this podcast. But now I'm 3 minutes into this episode and holy poo poo its already amazing.

Also: ^^ yeah, I get that people say Carlin sucks, but its details I'm looking for. What, exactly, is he getting wrong?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Carlin got me into listening to podcasts about history and back into reading about it so I'm not gonna harsh that weird libertarian too hard

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Fo3 posted:

Historians and milhist people say he's wrong, outdated, or uses horrible analogies. Fans that don't care about that will say WTF one 4hr ep a year!?

If Dan Carlin is wrong, he's wrong to within a certain acceptable degree of wrongness, given our at best fuzzy view of the past. In other words, he's not so wrong that he's completely without insight, and I think he does a better job than most historians at trying not to imagine that people of the ancient world thought like us.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
New Hardcore History in 24 hours, apparently.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Megazver posted:

New Hardcore History is 24 hours, apparently.

Sure this isn't what you meant?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/957388308664889344

Dan reads excerpts from 50 Shade of Gray for 4 hours

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Hard to get more graphic than some parts of Ghosts of the Ostfront or Prophets of Doom. Wonder what this one will be about.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Megazver posted:

New Hardcore History in 24 hours, apparently.

Yessssssss

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Considering he's already talked about pyramids of severed heads, roads made of ice and corpses, and mass killings of all kinds how could it be any darker? Maybe he's just hyping.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's called 'Painfotainment' so maybe he did an oral history of Jackass.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Painfotainment sounds like a book written by horror author, dream-weaver and visionary (plus actor), Garth Marenghi

I can't wait

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Megazver posted:

It's called 'Painfotainment' so maybe he did an oral history of Jackass.

With a name like that it’s definitely going to be six hours of awkward morning news show “banter”, narrated by Carlin

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Probably the history of violent entertainment, can't wait to hear about lions eating people and the crowd going nuts

Again, and again, and again

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Duggler posted:

Probably the history of violent entertainment, can't wait to hear about lions eating people and the crowd going nuts

If it is I hope he quotes Augustine. There's a wonderful quote in the Confession's about his friend going to an arena match initially disgusted, before falling victim to the bloodlust in the air and cheering as men are viciously wounded and killed, only for him to reflect after the fight with horror at how he'd lost control of himself.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Also public executions and torture. I hope there's more on the gladiatorial side though.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The Duggler posted:

It’s up now, looks like you win the prize!

4 hours 34 minutes

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

webmeister posted:

It’s up now, looks like you win the prize!

4 hours 34 minutes

Just wanted to lol at a 4.5 hour episode marked as Blitz

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

Just wanted to lol at a 4.5 hour episode marked as Blitz

He did get it up faster than usual so I'll give him that

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Just throwing it out there that the history of India is still really good

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

The new season of Under The Influence started earlier this month, a really good podcast if you're interested in marketing/advertising!

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/undertheinfluence

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
If you haven’t already caught it, Slow Burn about Watergate/Nixon’s fall is excellent. Equal parts terrifying and gratifying.

It’s only 8 episodes (9 if you include a bonus episode) and just finished this week so you can binge the whole thing.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/slow-burn-a-podcast-about-watergate/id1315040130?mt=2

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Thwomp posted:

If you haven’t already caught it, Slow Burn about Watergate/Nixon’s fall is excellent. Equal parts terrifying and gratifying.

It’s only 8 episodes (9 if you include a bonus episode) and just finished this week so you can binge the whole thing.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/slow-burn-a-podcast-about-watergate/id1315040130?mt=2

For additional terror, albeit in a much more extreme context, read Eichmann in Jerusalem by Arendt and listen to the companion Partially Examined Life podcast.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Thwomp posted:

I really liked it and it gave me a bunch of insights

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but are there some good 20ish minute run downs of the news? My sister is looking for something around that length that will give her an idea of what's going on in the US and also in the world.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

bollig posted:

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but are there some good 20ish minute run downs of the news? My sister is looking for something around that length that will give her an idea of what's going on in the US and also in the world.

I've heard Up First advertised on other NPR podcasts and it sounded promising:
https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510318/up-first

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is BBC world news not good? Or too long? I think each episode is only thirty minutes and they hit the headlines in the first minute. It's what I use to make sure I'm not so deep in audio books or long form journalism that I don't know someone has died.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I've heard Up First advertised on other NPR podcasts and it sounded promising:
https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510318/up-first

awesome thanks

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is BBC world news not good? Or too long? I think each episode is only thirty minutes and they hit the headlines in the first minute. It's what I use to make sure I'm not so deep in audio books or long form journalism that I don't know someone has died.

My millenial sister says this is too long

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I noped out of Painfotainment pretty quickly. It felt like more blabla than usual.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

mike12345 posted:

I noped out of Painfotainment pretty quickly. It felt like more blabla than usual.

The first half hour is really boring, but its pretty good once he actually gets into the history

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

mike12345 posted:

I powered through because I was redoing my bathroom and didn't want to pull out my phone and get it covered with drywall dust (and couldn't wash my hands because there's no sink in there currently) and it got a bit better. But the content to verbiage ratio is low even for Dan. It took hours to learn that painful executions used to be religious, then they stopped being religious, and the mood of the crowd changed.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

He repeated himself verbatim in the first 10 minutes and when I had learned absolutely nothing 30 minutes later, I gave up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Carlin almost got Hardcore History bingo in the first hour

- repeating himself
- "you can imagine..."
- "put yourself in their shoes..."
- "the SMELLS"
- <45 seconds of silence in the middle of a thought>

He just needed "<type of person> from our time would have been completely normal in this"