Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I don’t understand why but this guy keeps popping into random threads and trolling very poorly, I recommend we let that go.

Well apparently I’ve started a new page so I hope that helps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

crazypeltast52 posted:

Wayzata, so not a small house either I assume?

Small house & mostly just the garage.. I'm not really sure what that Stormdrain guy is going on about. Yeah it was a small house for a real estate agent who operates his own business out of a very tiny office in downtown Edina, I think. I don't know if you're familiar with the area but yeah I have his business card & all that. Anyways, if you do it long enough as a painter you will have tons of stories about various locales & different neighborhoods around the Twin Cities. It is kind of fun just because of that but the pay isn't that great really. Definitely the lack of knowledge about the future and the unsteady hours cause a lot of stress. Not fun.

A3th3r fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 27, 2018

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I know the boom and bust of construction well. There are a few MNGoons in this thread that might be interested in more stories about everyone’s favorite suburbs (to hate) and the kinds of crappy construction they include.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hey buddies

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Good morning

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hope u have a great day

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

peanut posted:

Good morning

I assume this was built on the fly as the fluid was coming out of each tube.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Zil posted:

I assume this was built on the fly as the fluid was coming out of each tube.

Earlier:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Have a nice day

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

peanut posted:

Hope u have a great day

That... that works!

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
While working on a construction job a few years ago in south Minneapolis we heard gunshots. I guess I'd have to say that was the scariest job to work on. Painting a house in the hood is worth it in terms of the money you make only if the project is done in less than a week. Typically there are maybe two or three guys on the crew for that kind of house & probably no more than that. Oh yeah, also a trailer was stolen but the police were able to track it down eventually. Now that I think about it, that was a pretty crappy project. Thank goodness I was a college student at the time so I just returned to school in the fall!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Just spent the day ripping out large portions of my basement bathroom because I noticed a little moisture behind the wallpaper near where the shower pan and enclosure come together on the wall. That turned into a full day of realizing that whoever put it in had no clue about how water and moisture work. No vapor barriers anywhere, drywall in contact with the floor, drywall instead of cement board or even green board behind the (apparently rather leaky seamed) stick up shower enclosure, no underlay for the floor, and drywall layered over the top edge of the shower pan instead of leaving a non contact gap and having the enclosure lap over the pan (which is the most confusing thing of all).

Tl;dr, investigated a small damp spot, pulled apart entire bathroom.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

stealie72 posted:

Just spent the day ripping out large portions of my basement bathroom because I noticed a little moisture behind the wallpaper near where the shower pan and enclosure come together on the wall. That turned into a full day of realizing that whoever put it in had no clue about how water and moisture work. No vapor barriers anywhere, drywall in contact with the floor, drywall instead of cement board or even green board behind the (apparently rather leaky seamed) stick up shower enclosure, no underlay for the floor, and drywall layered over the top edge of the shower pan instead of leaving a non contact gap and having the enclosure lap over the pan (which is the most confusing thing of all).

Tl;dr, investigated a small damp spot, pulled apart entire bathroom.

Discoveries like that are the worst. I discovered there was never any flashing between the siding and the concrete step to my patio. Couple that with the cheapest, narrowest drat gutters (since replaced) I discovered dry-rot under my 8 foot sliding glass doors. Now I'm on pins and needles until it gets warm enough to rip out the door and assess the full damage. I'll probably end up replacing it with a regular door and walling up the other side with a window.

It never ends when you own a house.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

I ripped out literally everything in my house partly on the assumption that having seen every brick and board means no more surprises, but I suspect the truth is that surprises will create themselves given enough time.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

I ripped out literally everything in my house partly on the assumption that having seen every brick and board means no more surprises, but I suspect the truth is that surprises will create themselves given enough time.

I'm fighting the urge to rip out all of the drywall and redo the room with purple board. As is, I'm replacing about 1/4 of the wall with a combo of purple board and some cement board as a backer for a new tile enclosure.

I'm going to cut out some test squares of the current drywall to see if the back is moldy, and if it is, this may be going down to the studs. Then in 20 years someone can post a crappy construction tale about whatever I've hosed up.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

peanut posted:

Hope u have a great day

It's so witches can't get in to your heating system.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Suspect Bucket posted:

It's so witches can't get in to your heating system.

Oh, you're talking about witchducts!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am fine with the radiator placement, that is wall space that you would never use for furniture. Aesthetics are for chumps.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

I am fine with the radiator placement, that is wall space that you would never use for furniture. Aesthetics are for chumps.

Yes, but it does no good if the stairs aren't insulated.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
My dad put these in his living room -- about thirty years ago he added a 30x30 garage onto the house, with a slightly smaller living room above it (due to the roof eaves but with two four-foot dormers on the front side of the house and a full-length dormer on the rear). It had baseboard heat up until a few months ago. It has always been cold up there, and now my mom says it's super-comfortable even in sub-zero weather. There's a part of me that wants these in our basement because I hate baseboard, but it's really unnecessary since it was trivial to keep it 73 down there even when it was single digits outside. Our attic, on the other hand ...

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

peanut posted:

Hey buddies

That balcony sucked anyway.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Guy Axlerod posted:

That balcony sucked anyway.

Hopefully so did the view, but not the alternative fire-escape paths.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

tetrapyloctomy posted:

My dad put these in his living room -- about thirty years ago he added a 30x30 garage onto the house, with a slightly smaller living room above it (due to the roof eaves but with two four-foot dormers on the front side of the house and a full-length dormer on the rear). It had baseboard heat up until a few months ago. It has always been cold up there, and now my mom says it's super-comfortable even in sub-zero weather. There's a part of me that wants these in our basement because I hate baseboard, but it's really unnecessary since it was trivial to keep it 73 down there even when it was single digits outside. Our attic, on the other hand ...

These what? What did your dad put in? Sorry, can't relate your story to the previous posts.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Radiators.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

'Nuff said.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Drake_263 posted:

'Nuff said.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyy

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Well at least they took the wall plate off before painting.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

peanut posted:

Hey buddies

I know it’s just the angle but it really looks like that duct is continuing upwards through a hole cut out in the painted blue ceiling.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's a hole in the sky so it can vent directly to space.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol I can't unsee it

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GotLag posted:

It's a hole in the sky so it can vent directly to space.
One weird trick climate scientists hate!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Proteus Jones posted:

Discoveries like that are the worst. I discovered there was never any flashing between the siding and the concrete step to my patio. Couple that with the cheapest, narrowest drat gutters (since replaced) I discovered dry-rot under my 8 foot sliding glass doors. Now I'm on pins and needles until it gets warm enough to rip out the door and assess the full damage. I'll probably end up replacing it with a regular door and walling up the other side with a window.

Read Kastein's thread.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

FCKGW posted:

I know it’s just the angle but it really looks like that duct is continuing upwards through a hole cut out in the painted blue ceiling.

After Truman left, the show had to face some pretty devastating budget cuts.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
^^:golfclap: ^^

Drake_263 posted:

'Nuff said.

It's just a standard 55 volt outlet, what's the big deal?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

I'm fighting the urge to rip out all of the drywall and redo the room with purple board. As is, I'm replacing about 1/4 of the wall with a combo of purple board and some cement board as a backer for a new tile enclosure.

I'm going to cut out some test squares of the current drywall to see if the back is moldy, and if it is, this may be going down to the studs. Then in 20 years someone can post a crappy construction tale about whatever I've hosed up.

Self quote for crappy construction update.

Ended up removing a bunch of walls and the lineoleum floor because of mildew and water penetration.

Went to cut back the base of the wallboard to give or a bit of a gap where it was touching the floor (reminder, cement floor in a bathroom in a basement) and discovered that whoever installed the bathroom had poured a concrete subfloor against the drywall so that two of the walls had the bottom of the drywall touching the cement basement floor and about a half inch of the drywall in contact with the cement subfloor for the room. I have to applaud them for pouring a pretty fantastic concrete floor to level the room out, but :psyduck: Luckily it's a pretty dry basement.

Have I mentioned that an engineer owned this house for its first 35 years, and this is likely his handiwork?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Never buy a mechanic's car.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Conceptually everything he did to the house makes sense. Its just then actually done the wrong way. Its like an illustration of theory vs practice.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Lol exactly the same with a mechanic's car.

I wanted dedicated not-switched 12V to the trunk of my car to run some relays for trailer wiring. Now, the proper way would be to route a cable myself from the battery on back, with a fuse of the appropriate size and proper looming, along with proper wire termination and labeling.

Now, since my car is an old cop car, instead I dug out the cut-off ends of the wiring loom that the cop shop left behind when cutting out all of the police equipment. I found a wire that looked thick enough, and traced it up to the no-longer-used police equipment fusebox. Through random poking with a multimeter, I found the empty fuse slot that matched with that hacked wire in the equipment loom. I open palm slammed a random fuse from the literal pile of fuses that came with the car into that slot, and confirmed that 12v was present at the end of that sheared-off wire in the trunk. (when I did this, a secondary bulb underneath the headlights flashed once and the car made a beep from somewhere under the hood, but :shrug:) Using that sheared-off 4 gauge wire in the trunk, I shaved down some copper so my crimp-on terminals would fit, crimped a terminal on, and wrapped the whole shebang (that is entirely too close to the gas tank firewall) in some self-sealing silicone tape and called it a day. I threw some spare fuses in a baggie next to the one I used under the hood in the equipment fusebox (that is missing it's weatherproof lid, mind you) and called it a day. If there's an issue with the trailer wiring when I use it, or something shakes loose and starts shorting, or a siren or lights start going off while I'm driving, it'll either blow that fuse or I know which one to pull, since it's the only one there.

Conceptually, everything works as it should, and is technically fused and proper. Execution-wise? A horrorshow. I don't even know where that boa-constrictor of cop loom runs physically in the car, or if there are any other taps from that big cable that I used that may then be hanging loose, ready to short over a big bump. :effort:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Elephanthead posted:

<yawn> I'm just gonna lean over and hit the light switch and grab the handrail sizzle in this dark room before going upstMOTHERFUCKER WHY IS THE HANDRAIL SO loving HOT OH GOD MY SKIN HAS MELTED TO IT degloves hand trying to pull away from the pain

Don't be Klaus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Do you have a bathroom under the stairs in your house?

UK plumbing is weird, but the previous joist notching sure looks like home.