Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
In the configuration options you can upgrade the ram to 16gb 2933MHz for 100$, it's expensive but might be worth it
All in all it look pretty drat cheap compared to UK prices

Krogort fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Is newegg crap for prebuilts? :thunk:

Kintamarama
Oct 3, 2013
With the talk of UPSs on the last page, can I get some opinions on this;

https://www.shoppingexpress.com.au/buy/cyberpower-pfc-sinewave-1500va-900w-led-tower-ups/CP1500EPFCLCDa-AU

Keeping in mind that these are Australian dollarydoos, would this be a good purchase?

Shopping Express seem to be having a Cyberpower sale over the Australia Day weekend, are any of the other sale items worth looking at?

https://www.shoppingexpress.com.au/...a693adfb4eef911

Edit. Just did a bit of research and the Shopping Express "sale" price is higher than that of Computer Alliance's standard price. https://www.computeralliance.com.au/1500va-cyberpower-pfc-sinewave-series-tower-ups-with-lcd
Doesnt' seem to be a good buy at all.

Kintamarama fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 26, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Lawman 0 posted:

Is newegg crap for prebuilts? :thunk:

Newegg does sell Cyberpower, iBuyPower, and ABS systems, and all of those are decent - though the former two are the ones I'm most familiar with and would be confident in recommending. Acer, ASUS, and MSI's prebuilts - Acer offers the best low-end, MSI the most perks, and ASUS the best name and parts. ASUS and MSI have hit-or-miss service and support, though - while Acer has a decent number of certified repair centers around the country.

And obviously, if you've got one reasonably close by, Microcenter has great prebuilts. Ugly utilitarian cases, but good prebuilts.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 26, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Krogort posted:

In the configuration options you can upgrade the ram to 16gb 2933MHz for 100$, it's expensive but might be worth it
All in all it look pretty drat cheap compared to UK prices

I just noticed on that page that that 16GB 2933Mhz option is a *single-channel* option. That means he'd lose out on dual-channel performance. And for some inexplicable reason, there isn't a 2x8GB 2933Mhz option listed, just 32GB @ 2666 for $250 over stock price, and 32GB @ 2933 for $450 over stock. At that price it'd be better off counseling him to take the lowest option and just wait for RAM to *hopefully* go down in price soon.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'm so loving tired of Creative's lovely drivers. I only have two speakers I'm not looking for top of the line audio, just audio. For some reason my Win 10 box doesn't recognize my X-Fi soundcard anymore, no matter how many times I uninstall the drivers, etc etc. Is there any dependable, not expensive card out there? My onboard sound doesn't work but it's a 9 year old PC so I'm not going to complain about that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Barreft posted:

I'm so loving tired of Creative's lovely drivers. I only have two speakers I'm not looking for top of the line audio, just audio. For some reason my Win 10 box doesn't recognize my X-Fi soundcard anymore, no matter how many times I uninstall the drivers, etc etc. Is there any dependable, not expensive card out there? My onboard sound doesn't work but it's a 9 year old PC so I'm not going to complain about that.

There are some pretty nice user-modded drivers for the ASUS Xonar series: http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

There are user-made Win10 drivers for the X-Fi, too: http://danielkawakami.blogspot.com/

And since it's a nine year old PC, no reason not to go with old-fashioned PCI: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 26, 2018

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There are some pretty nice user-modded drivers for the ASUS Xonar series: http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

There are user-made Win10 drivers for the X-Fi, too: http://danielkawakami.blogspot.com/

And since it's a nine year old PC, no reason not to go with old-fashioned PCI: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020

Thanks for the info, my mobo is a Gigabyte EX58-UD4P if that helps. I was going to upgrade but the prices right now are ridiculous so I'm trying to get the best out of this old thing. The GTX 970 is running well at least.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Barreft posted:

Whats your budget? It doesn't sound like you want to spend much and I don't blame you on a 9 year old PC. I bought this $25 USB sound card to use with my Sennheiser gaming headset and it works so loving well. No drivers or bloatware software install needed. Leaps and bounds better and cleaner sounding than the onboard sound.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XBZ38ZJ

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

owls or something posted:

Whats your budget? It doesn't sound like you want to spend much and I don't blame you on a 9 year old PC. I bought this $25 USB sound card to use with my Sennheiser gaming headset and it works so loving well. No drivers or bloatware software install needed. Leaps and bounds better and cleaner sounding than the onboard sound.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XBZ38ZJ

My budget is anything, but I just want to hear audio through my 2 speakers. I used to have a 7.1 system but that's not possible right now. That link says it enhances the onboard sound. Right now Windows doesn't detect my onboard or my XFi, so I just want something janky for the time being. I don't want anything Creative cause their drivers have caused me nuts over at least 20 years now, whenever the Creative Live came out. I'm fuckin old.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Barreft posted:

My budget is anything, but I just want to hear audio through my 2 speakers. I used to have a 7.1 system but that's not possible right now. That link says it enhances the onboard sound. Right now Windows doesn't detect my onboard or my XFi, so I just want something janky for the time being. I don't want anything Creative cause their drivers have caused me nuts over at least 20 years now, whenever the Creative Live came out. I'm fuckin old.

It is an external sound card in of itself, it doesn't use or need your onboard sound or X-fi at all. Disable/remove them and plug this in. 100% plug and play no software needed. Works loving great.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

owls or something posted:

It is an external sound card in of itself, it doesn't use or need your onboard sound or X-fi at all. Disable/remove them and plug this in. 100% plug and play no software needed. Works loving great.

Okay you sold me, ordered.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Was watching a Gamers Nexus video on YouTube. Apparently this is the going rate for this 1060 at Micro Center.

:eyepop:

160 bucks more than the 1070 Ti I bought last month. These are like 250-300 dollar cards :wtc:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
850 usd for a 1080ti? What the loving gently caress. Ugh when will these stupid coins crash

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

So my motherboard just died (details here if anyone cares), and I need either a replacement or a new PC. I was hoping I could pick up an identical one for £30 or something, since it's a 5 year old board, but it seems like they're more expensive now than when I first bought it, for some loving reason.

That gives me two options - either find a motherboard that will fit all my existing components, or upgrade a load of things. Luckily I still have an OK graphics card, but from reading the last few pages of the thread I'm expecting to get gouged on everything else. I can't even wait it out since everything's going to double in price next year when our economy shits the bed.

Current specs:

PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower QFan 650W ATX 2.2
CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K, 3,3GHz, 6MB Cache
Motherboard - Asus P8P67 REV3.1
Memory - 16Gb Kingston KVR13N9S8K2/8 RAM 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics - MSI NVidia GTX 970 (4Gb)
Hard Drives - Two SSD, two regular. I can probably hunt out the specs if anyone cares.
Sound card - Asus Xonar

So, is there a cheap motherboard I can get that will accept all these components? Alternatively, does this look like a good deal, or would I be better off buying the parts myself? I guess I'll need modern RAM to go with a new motherboard, but I don't know if there's much to be gained upgrading my CPU.

https://www.novatech.co.uk/barebonebundles/view/bb-740016a.html

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Newegg does sell Cyberpower, iBuyPower, and ABS systems, and all of those are decent - though the former two are the ones I'm most familiar with and would be confident in recommending. Acer, ASUS, and MSI's prebuilts - Acer offers the best low-end, MSI the most perks, and ASUS the best name and parts. ASUS and MSI have hit-or-miss service and support, though - while Acer has a decent number of certified repair centers around the country.

And obviously, if you've got one reasonably close by, Microcenter has great prebuilts. Ugly utilitarian cases, but good prebuilts.

I have a cyber power prebuilt that lasted me five years or so and I was looking to build my own until I saw the prices for cards and went. :eyepop:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Wolfsbane posted:

So my motherboard just died (details here if anyone cares), and I need either a replacement or a new PC. I was hoping I could pick up an identical one for £30 or something, since it's a 5 year old board, but it seems like they're more expensive now than when I first bought it, for some loving reason.

That gives me two options - either find a motherboard that will fit all my existing components, or upgrade a load of things. Luckily I still have an OK graphics card, but from reading the last few pages of the thread I'm expecting to get gouged on everything else. I can't even wait it out since everything's going to double in price next year when our economy shits the bed.

Current specs:

Hard Drives - Two SSD, two regular. I can probably hunt out the specs if anyone cares.
Sound card - Asus Xonar

So, is there a cheap motherboard I can get that will accept all these components? Alternatively, does this look like a good deal, or would I be better off buying the parts myself? I guess I'll need modern RAM to go with a new motherboard, but I don't know if there's much to be gained upgrading my CPU.

Motherboards are going to be expensive for LGA1155 now because they are EOL and people will pay through the nose because they need them. You might have luck buying used on somewhere like eBay or /r/hardwareswapuk but trying for new will cost you.

That pre-built looks alright to me, but it is a generation old, has a unknown (to me anyways) PSU, a Gigabyte motherboard (and only an H110, OMG get out) and slow RAM. I would probably buy it, taking into account the components you already have but you could probably do better.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

caberham posted:

850 usd for a 1080ti? What the loving gently caress. Ugh when will these stupid coins crash

1080ti are just expensive. The cheapest they’ve ever been is like ~$775 with deals.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Wolfsbane posted:

Current specs:

Sound card - Asus Xonar

If you buy new stuff you're looking at a minimum of a new CPU, motherboard, and DDR4 RAM (which is priced very high right now). The upsides to that would be that coffee lake cpus have more cores. It's also possible that other components were damaged in your current system that you don't know about yet. The downside is cost.

On US ebay your old board is available for around $100 (one is new for $150) which seems like a little bit of a better deal but obviously is dependent on location.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

DNK posted:

1080ti are just expensive. The cheapest they’ve ever been is like ~$775 with deals.

MSRP on them is $699 and there was a time they were sold at that. I bought the EVGA SC model when it released for $720 before people really went full on nuts about fake coins that somehow have value.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Speaking of prebuilts, even though it's not the ideal pairing, you can't really quibble with the price: https://www.techbargains.com/deal/168462/alienware-aurora-deals

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Would that be a good site to find 2 home office computers?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hdip posted:

Would that be a good site to find 2 home office computers?

Assuming you're talking about Techbargains, yes - depending on what they've got listed. Between them and Slickdeals they're usually pretty good at showing the best deals. Don't forget about eBates and iBotta, and also, if you're buying *two* computers, you might want to call Dell directly and ask if they'll give you a bit of a price break. The sellers on the phone (and live chat) have a bit more latitude to offer discounts.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/488123/G500_Desktop_Computer
How does this one look?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Is good do buy

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The only questionable thing about Micro Center's Ryzen builds is they pair them with such anemic RAM. Ryzen is picky about RAM, but it performs better with higher-speed memory. The DDR4-3000 they use in their enthusiast Intel boxes is on the QVL sheets for most Ryzen boards, so it's a bit confusing. That being said, even with the slower memory, it should be a solid computer.

Of course, no one knows quite when AMD will be launching the Ryzen refresh. It's not Ryzen II - more like Ryzen+.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The only questionable thing about Micro Center's Ryzen builds is they pair them with such anemic RAM. Ryzen is picky about RAM, but it performs better with higher-speed memory. The DDR4-3000 they use in their enthusiast Intel boxes is on the QVL sheets for most Ryzen boards, so it's a bit confusing. That being said, even with the slower memory, it should be a solid computer.

Of course, no one knows quite when AMD will be launching the Ryzen refresh. It's not Ryzen II - more like Ryzen+.

I'm really just looking for the upgrade, they got a Cybertron gaming PC with very similar specs for 100 less so I might get that instead.
The rhodium

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Hey goons, what do you think about this list?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($198.27 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($101.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Case: RAIJINTEK - STYX MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $654.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-27 13:37 EST-0500

I'm going to import a 2.5" SSD from my laptop when I upgrade it, and I got a cheap GTX 780 that should tide me over for now. What I'm most curious about is whether I need more cooling (like a few case fans) and if this PSU is a safe bet.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Apollodorus posted:

Hey goons, what do you think about this list?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

I'm going to import a 2.5" SSD from my laptop when I upgrade it, and I got a cheap GTX 780 that should tide me over for now. What I'm most curious about is whether I need more cooling (like a few case fans) and if this PSU is a safe bet.

I don't see anything wrong with it - but you might consider the Seasonic Focus Gold Plus or the 750W G3, for the sole reason that that'll net you a 10 year warranty to the seven year you'll get with the 650W. The Seasonic Focus Plus carries a 10 year warranty throughout the line, and they don't skimp on outputs like the lower G3 SKUs do.

I'm a little loathe to recommend that case of yours simply because it doesn't seem to have a tremendous amount of flow-through. Perhaps check this one out (unless you really want silver)? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vPp323/fractal-design-focus-g-mini-black-microatx-mini-tower-case-fd-ca-focus-mini-bk-w

You most definitely won't run into GPU length issues with the Focus G Mini.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 28, 2018

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Should I strip the existing thermal paste and put my own on my brand spankin' new i5-8400? If so, what brand. Artic silver?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

pthighs posted:

Should I strip the existing thermal paste and put my own on my brand spankin' new i5-8400? If so, what brand. Artic silver?

Definitely don't bother

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

pthighs posted:

AS5 is a bit old. If you want a paste, look into Arctic Grizzly Kryonaut.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 28, 2018

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I don't see anything wrong with it - but you might consider the Seasonic Focus Gold Plus or the 750W G3, for the sole reason that that'll net you a 10 year warranty to the seven year you'll get with the 650W. The Seasonic Focus Plus carries a 10 year warranty throughout the line, and they don't skimp on outputs like the lower G3 SKUs do.

I'm a little loathe to recommend that case of yours simply because it doesn't seem to have a tremendous amount of flow-through. Perhaps check this one out (unless you really want silver)? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vPp323/fractal-design-focus-g-mini-black-microatx-mini-tower-case-fd-ca-focus-mini-bk-w

You most definitely won't run into GPU length issues with the Focus G Mini.

Cool, thanks. The build is cheaper with both of those suggestions, which is a plus.

BurritoJustice posted:

Definitely don't bother

You mean the i5-8400 stock cooling is as good as it needs to be, yeah? I know that's part of why I'm not trying to stretch to the i7-8700k--I've never built a desktop before and would rather not have to mess around with the most important part because I'm sure I'd screw it up.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Apollodorus posted:

You mean the i5-8400 stock cooling is as good as it needs to be, yeah? I know that's part of why I'm not trying to stretch to the i7-8700k--I've never built a desktop before and would rather not have to mess around with the most important part because I'm sure I'd screw it up.
It's sufficient, and using expensive thermal paste won't improve it much because at the end of the day it's still a small aluminium heatsink with a cheap fan on it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Dell had like 10% off coupon code + I had some other dell stuff I could use so I got an Inspiron Gaming Desktop because I'm really boring. :geno:
specifically this guy: http://deals.dell.com/productdetail/vls

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

Dell had like 10% off coupon code + I had some other dell stuff I could use so I got an Inspiron Gaming Desktop because I'm really boring. :geno:
specifically this guy: http://deals.dell.com/productdetail/vls

There's this one for sale as well: https://www.techbargains.com/deal/168462/alienware-aurora-deals

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I figure that I'll just replace the video card whenever the crypto bubble bursts though that did look nice. :)
I also really wanted a desktop with front USB ports and a nice utilitarian design.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I do appreciate all the help you folks have me though

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Shoot, I could make it dual 11 GB 1080 Ti for $2400 and then sell both cards to pay for the system itself. I'd have a killer Lightroom post-processing box. :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homer
Jan 4, 2001

I've given up trying to build my pc with prices how they are so I'm looking at prebuilts. I'm just going for 1080p gaming for now although I'll probably try and upgrade my monitor at some point.

Any thoughts on this one? There's a 10% off code so it comes out to about $1150 before tax.
https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/s...e4-a460b7748d32