Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

Er, our whole Army is practically Scottish. There won't be any English soldiers left to patrol the border.

We had a scottish dude on exchange for a while and I never got tired of listening to him flip out on comms because his section had no idea what he was yelling at them :scotland:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
AWACS had an Asian-American controller whose accent was so thick that in a Red Flag mass debrief he got called out for being indecipherable on the radio. "Where's that controller?!?"
(from the very back)
"He no heah"

That dude was awesome. He "smooth talked" his way out of a traffic ticket in a similar manner a few years later.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

AWACS had an Asian-American controller whose accent was so thick that in a Red Flag mass debrief he got called out for being indecipherable on the radio. "Where's that controller?!?"
(from the very back)
"He no heah"

That dude was awesome. He "smooth talked" his way out of a traffic ticket in a similar manner a few years later.

One of the Army liasons on our deployment got called out for talking so far that the Ground Controllers were repeatedly asking him to repeat his transmissions, sounded like a auctioneer.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
That's when you send the q code for "fetch competent operator" #sigburns

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
We had a Polish officer on exchange, one night a regular officer was saying that a Polish national 'In Drink' was asking repeatedly for 'Officer Kourva.'

A call went out for this Constable Kourva repeatedly.

Cue Polish officer piping up on the radio to advise "He's asking for Officer Bitch...I think he means you."

I wasn't on duty but apparently she was stone cold about it.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Was she hot?

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Not from what I can remember.

She was some high flying criminology grad who was destined for big things in Polish LE. Then she got sent to London to show the best of what Poland had to offer and we used her to interpret as we arrested drunk homeless Polacks

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

That's when you send the q code for "fetch competent operator" #sigburns

In the swan song of our State cable system - I sent one of those.

Felt pretty good after I sent that.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Lmbo

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
This is a bit of an odd one. Top-building's inhabitants seem to know what is of high altitude and high-tail it. Bottom-building's dudes aren't as enlightened as to what's about to happen.

RIP them bottom-building dudes.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ffc_1516659686

That aftermath, Jesus Christ.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Holy poo poo that cluster of people that ran straight into the blast

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Holy poo poo that cluster of people that ran straight into the blast

Wonder if they felt anything or if their brain just turned off

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

When you die your nerves all overload in extreme pain and it's the worst split second of your loving life, but then your consciousness, which is contained in one single cell in your brain, just kinda sits there with no way to feel or see or talk or do have any outside stimulus. If you're blown to bits like that your consciousness just floats away but you can't experience it, just the cold, empty, loneliness of forever darkness and silence.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/957318498102865920

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/957333917119508481

https://twitter.com/arawnsley/status/957356785442152448

https://twitter.com/arawnsley/status/957360808392093697

https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/957447989970128896

https://twitter.com/_disbasin/status/957525299926896640

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Grem posted:

When you die your nerves all overload in extreme pain and it's the worst split second of your loving life, but then your consciousness, which is contained in one single cell in your brain, just kinda sits there with no way to feel or see or talk or do have any outside stimulus. If you're blown to bits like that your consciousness just floats away but you can't experience it, just the cold, empty, loneliness of forever darkness and silence.

Shoulda left that cell in a bank vault or something instead of taking it along jihadin'

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
At this point every time I see an VBIED or TOW v Tank video I involuntarily shout takbirs after the explosion. In the case of TOW videos I occasionally give a few “yallahs” as the missile flies to target. Should I see a doctor?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
:stare:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Scratch Monkey posted:

At this point every time I see an VBIED or TOW v Tank video I involuntarily shout takbirs after the explosion. In the case of TOW videos I occasionally give a few “yallahs” as the missile flies to target. Should I see a doctor?

Do you feel a powerful urge to shout "death to America, death to Israel!" whenever you hear Yemen mentioned, even in passing?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

And how:
https://twitter.com/AlecMuffett/status/957615895899238401

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Someone explain to me real quick what the big deal is with all of this:

a) soldiers / contractors / ~operators~ are wearing non-security-compliant electronic devices in secure / sensitive zones

b) the heat-maps give conclusive information to bad guys about patrol routes

c) the heat-maps confirm classified locations because...the locations claim to be something else, but clearly show security patrols which blows their cover (this one I don't quite understand, because it seems to me that these installations could be identified from the satellite images)

Or is it a combination of those?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They don't even have to be classified locations. But it gives definitive pattern-of-life information, which is loving gold for targeteers.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I think it's a combination. Mostly just pattern-of-life stuff, but iirc somebody managed to find a new base that wasn't on Google Maps satellite view yet, for example. It's probably not telling anyone with their own spy-sats anything, but Abu Hajaar and Friends have got to be loving it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

We also have Terraserver that provides more up to date imagery than Google Earth and Google Maps, for example this drone base on Jan 7th 2018

And that's $49 a month, or $299, so within the price range of a keen hobbyist, or Al Qaeda operative. The imagery is from Digital Globe, so it's the same quality you see on Google Earth, the above is marked as 30cm resolution, but it's only two weeks old.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It looks like it's good for showing regular patrol routes. Just to see how it was measuring, I took it over to Walt Disney World. You can see thousands of thin purple lines forming the route of the ferry boats to and from the Magic Kingdom. The heavier the traffic in an area, the brighter yellow it turns. If you take that to a known base it'll show their patrol routes and how heavily trafficked they are.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

It's very easy to spot schools based on the oval athletic tracks.

Also there's some odd poo poo going on in what you would think are deserted places.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Who are all these motherfuckers running around with their phones at PT?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Works on a bunch of watches and fitness trackers, too.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
What sort of heavy handed response will the DoD have?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Strange there are a bunch of isolated dots at weapons station charleston but no tracks

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Flikken posted:

What sort of heavy handed response will the DoD have?

Well, the Navy did just announce that people will no longer be separated for failing PT tests.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Well, the Navy did just announce that people will no longer be separated for failing PT tests.

Pacific Transit tests are overrated anyway.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

did people not learn after ukraine dudes were getting owned by russian arty over this stuff

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

https://twitter.com/Viss/status/957751842988998656

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Not sure I get the point of this one. It’s a known nuke base, and somebody was running around on it. Ok?

Are the timestamped data available? Not sure a heat map like this is useful for showing patterns of life without it.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 29, 2018

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Not sure I get the point of this one. It’s a known nuke base, and somebody was running around on it. Ok?

Are the timestamped data available? Not sure a heat map like this is useful for showing patterns of life without it.

There's a good write up on it here
https://www.thedailybeast.com/strava-fitness-tracker-app-exposes-taiwans-missile-command-center

Someone also noted all the reports posted by users of their routes are posted with sequentially numbered URLs, and includes details of the user, so it would be possible to scrap all those pages and possibly ID soliders at military bases. Strava all just put up a huge neon sign for hackers letting them know they have masses of data on military bases, so let's hope they have better cybersecurity than average.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
There's user data that's easily linked to public social media profiles, and people have already followed users from known locations to secret or sensitive ones to establish a connection.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/musalbas/status/957828574920298496

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One thing to note is that it's not necessarily people out jogging, just people moving while carrying their fitness trackers. Like I said before, take the heat map over to Walt Disney World or something and you'll see lines representing the routes of the ferry boats and monorail tracks. I'm pretty sure people aren't out jogging on the tracks or doing laps across the lake, but the map shows their movement by vehicle as well. That's how you get stuff like patrol routes near military bases or the outlines of aircraft carriers in the ocean. Anyone who has their app still running will show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

And also members of the Royal Netherlands Army using it to draw a giant penis on their training ground: