Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

There's either an entrance in the Bulb Zone, or that's the Mountain one. It's pretty close to the Large Wreck and some lava vents. I was very surprised when I came out an exit I hadn't seen before and was right next to my main base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I was rather excited to hear the neeb's gaming people in the game so I guess that's neat. Otherwise, the game DOES seem to run a little better for me than it did in ~october. Pop-in is still a thing with some of the terrain, but it doesn't seem as bad. I haven't run into any falling-through the world bugs yet and all in all it feels like a pretty well put together game. I wouldn't have felt bad about buying this new instead of in EA a while back.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Can I bring unimaginable firepower to bear against the fishy menace?

No, but you can bring fishy firepower to bear against an unimaginable menace. does that count?

Semi-seriously. When life gives you lemons, exploding fish, and a gravgun - you make an aquatic fishy rpg. I call my breeding ground silo project fishattan.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Dongattack posted:

Did you see round two?
https://clips.twitch.tv/AbrasiveExcitedHamPanicVis
God drat :lol:

Edit: Sacriel is the second streamer in a row i have seen that missed the inactive lava zone base and went straight to the active lava base, and unlike *cough*dansgaming*cough* Sacriel isn't retarded. They really need to add the waypoint to that base back in or make it more obvious that it's there.

That's pretty loving funny.

I'm super sad he ended the stream at the point where you make sweet sweet love to the sea emporers eggs. Richard_hammer did not stop and think for 5 seconds about how the devs probably don't hate you and the 4 portals/sea mamas tank have all the poo poo you need for sea emperor egg spermand spent 3 hours running around getting steadily more pissed off. Then he ended up not realizing how big the end game thing was and spawned a bunch of stuff in to complete it. Was kinda sad because he was having fun up until hitting a lot of the end game bugs and poor choices you run into. 90% of the end game problems would be solved by making it readily apparent that when you get the neptune rocket stuff you should start building it immediately so you don't miss out on collecting extra nickle/sulphur goo/kyanite when you're at the center of the earth. Like a *hint hint, nudge nudge, beat you over the loving head with a bat* PDA message telling you to start building the platform/rocket engines immediately.

Ganson fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 28, 2018

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I bought this a couple of days ago and holy gently caress am I loving it so far. :dance:

I'm not sure sure how to proceed at the moment, though. I guess I'm in the middle part of the game, but I've reached a point where the resources I need (magnetite, diamond, gel sack, ruby) are in areas that are too deep or too dangerous for me to to farm with just the Seamoth, even with the first depth upgrade. Also I'm not sure which vehicle I should be aiming for next, the Cyclops or the Prawn Suit?

I've got the laser cutter, radiation suit and ultra capacity O2 tank, so wreck exploration isn't a problem. Haven't been to the Aurora yet, mostly because I have a real-life crippling phobia of the open ocean and fully expect to soil myself whenever I encounter my first leviathan. :smith:

The deepest I've been so far is the Jellyshroom Cave, where I just popped down to loot the Degasi undersea base.

Any advice on how to proceed?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Prawn should be your next upgrade; definitely get a couple grappling arms for moving, and a drill arm. It starts with, I think, a depth limit of 900m and upgrades take it to 2300m or so.

Most people in this thread will tell you the Cyclops is useless/dumb/overrated but it's a giant sub and I love it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How exactly do I get inside the scanner room?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Comrade Koba posted:

I'm not sure sure how to proceed at the moment, though. I guess I'm in the middle part of the game, but I've reached a point where the resources I need (magnetite, diamond, gel sack, ruby) are in areas that are too deep or too dangerous for me to to farm with just the Seamoth, even with the first depth upgrade.

There are areas that are safe to farm that with the Seamoth and first depth upgrade.

quote:

Haven't been to the Aurora yet

You should fix that :)

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How exactly do I get inside the scanner room?

Walk through the tube. If it has no tube, you may have built it in the wrong orientation.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

`How exactly do I get inside the scanner room?

You can attach it to a corridor in your base, or build a hatch on one of the two sides.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Ok I'm an idiot. I looked at a couple of empty or closed cargo boxes and decided they were just props. After building the scanner room I realized most of them contain fragments. :doh: Got the seaglide and the seamoth and a bunch of tools now. Now I'm setting up a proper base before exploring more of the Aurora and going deeper. So hard to put this down! Gameplay is just a continuous flow, there's always something do to.

Comrade Koba posted:

I'm not sure sure how to proceed at the moment, though. I guess I'm in the middle part of the game, but I've reached a point where the resources I need (magnetite, diamond, gel sack, ruby) are in areas that are too deep or too dangerous for me to to farm with just the Seamoth, even with the first depth upgrade. Also I'm not sure which vehicle I should be aiming for next, the Cyclops or the Prawn Suit?

I've found all of those except magnetite using the seamoth. Keep looking or build a few scanner rooms I guess.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I've found all of those except magnetite using the seamoth. Keep looking or build a few scanner rooms I guess.

There's a decent amount of magnetite in the jellyshroom cave, but it's near the max depth of an unupgraded seamoth so you'll either need to commit to bounce-diving or get the first depth upgrade first.

A lot of it's in those big nodes you need a Prawn to mine, but there's plenty just hanging out on its own.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Man, i'm having some extremely gamebreaking bugs in my game. Basically a random resource will be removed from the game entirely. First it was Cyclops Engine Fragments which were extremely easy to troubleshoot cause i know all the places where it's supposed to spawn, but no biggie, just unlocked it from the console.

But now its loving MAGNETITE :negative:
I know that there were vast amounts of it in, on, under and around the Mountain, but every last trace of it is gone now. And i built my base on-top of the Jellyfish Caves and the Magnetite there has been despawned too and in this case i can make 110% sure with my scanner room.

This turdcovered diamond of a game has had a lot of bugs, but this is the most frustrating yet.

It's not a old save either or anything, started it when the ending was released.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dongattack posted:

Man, i'm having some extremely gamebreaking bugs in my game. Basically a random resource will be removed from the game entirely. First it was Cyclops Engine Fragments which were extremely easy to troubleshoot cause i know all the places where it's supposed to spawn, but no biggie, just unlocked it from the console.

But now its loving MAGNETITE :negative:
I know that there were vast amounts of it in, on, under and around the Mountain, but every last trace of it is gone now. And i built my base on-top of the Jellyfish Caves and the Magnetite there has been despawned too and in this case i can make 110% sure with my scanner room.

This turdcovered diamond of a game has had a lot of bugs, but this is the most frustrating yet.

It's not a old save either or anything, started it when the ending was released.

Have you considered. Not being so negative? I've been told that's important when dealing with months to years old issues holding the game back.

But for a stab at optimism, have you checked inside the on land caves of the islands yet? I remember in the past looting good amounts of materials on the surface of them. Maybe start hurling gravsphers everywhere and hope it drags any clipped through the terrain stuff up to them?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 28, 2018

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Section Z posted:

Have you considered. Not being so negative? I've been told that's important when dealing with months to years old issues holding the game back.

But for a stab at optimism, have you checked inside the on land caves of the islands yet? I remember in the past looting good amounts of materials on the surface of them. Maybe start hurling gravsphers everywhere and hope it drags any clipped through the terrain stuff up to them?

Yeah, i looked there too. I can't be arsed with the gravspheres tho. I read the first sentence of your post and was like "h-hhhow dare YOU!!!" and started fuming, but then i read the user name :P
It's fine. I'll eventually come back to the game and either cheat rampantly, regenerate the terrain files or whatever they were called to respawn in the entire map or start a new game.

jboslund
Jan 27, 2009
So I played this a year ago, and then put it back up on the shelf to wait for 1.0. Does the Cyclops still sound it's ginormous fog horn every time you switch to the cameras?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dongattack posted:

Yeah, i looked there too. I can't be arsed with the gravspheres tho :P
It's fine. I'll eventually come back to the game and either cheat rampantly, regenerate the terrain files or whatever they were called to respawn in the entire map or start a new game.

But think of the cheevos man, the cheevos! How will you prove to anybody you beat the game if you use the console to get around launch bugs :ohdear:

Hope the terrain regenerate works. I'm used to having TERRIBLE luck with that still leaving precursor bases half rendered myself, but it has worked a couple times in the past.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Section Z posted:

But think of the cheevos man, the cheevos! How will you prove to anybody you beat the game if you use the console to get around launch bugs :ohdear:

You can just reload the save after cheating and they give the achivements to you anyway :smug:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I realized something kind of silly today as I was building an outpost 800m down in the Lost River. If you build reinforcements on the moonpool it counts as way more than if you build them on say, a corridor, because it's supposed to reinforce structurally weak buildings :downs:

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

jboslund posted:

So I played this a year ago, and then put it back up on the shelf to wait for 1.0. Does the Cyclops still sound it's ginormous fog horn every time you switch to the cameras?

No they broke that glorious feature :-( you have to hit the horn like a heathen now.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I built a base in the grassy plains and all went well until a reefback, for some reason, decided to basically ram into my base continuously for a few days.

I didn't think anything of it at the time as it eventually went away but my vehicle modification station despawned.

Strange.

Then the same thing happened again except this time I left my seamoth sitting outside my base (was using the moonpool to upgrade my prawn).

I left the seamoth and went to the Lost River. At some point during my journey I noticed that for some reason my seamoth was nowhere near my base AND it was over 5,000 m away from me! That's a huge amount of distance since I think the usable world is maybe 2,500 m?

Anyway, I saved and then set out to seaglide to my seamoth. It took forever and I actually ended up going from the Crash Zone --> Void --> Seatreader Path --> Crag Field --> Crash Zone where my seamoth was. I have no idea how, but I avoided all of the reapers in the Crash Zone and the ghost ones in the void, which I didn't think was even possible.

Now, the interesting thing about this is that I *didn't* actually wrap around the world. My base markers and everything stayed behind me but I was in the zones I mentioned. So, where the hell was I and how did my seamoth get moved 5 km? I traversed the void again back to my base (this time I got attacked by normal reapers but none of the ghost ones).

I wonder what the game zones actually look like? Or what would have happened if I kept going until I reached the safe shallows.

It's like that alternate dimension episode of Star Trek TNG with all the Worfs or something. Except in this case we get infinite dimensions of reapers and reefbacks shoving my poo poo around.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Comrade Koba posted:

Haven't been to the Aurora yet

That's your problem right there.

jboslund
Jan 27, 2009

Vasler posted:

So, where the hell was I [...] ?

Without having seen it first hand, it reminds me of a certain famous video. (Skip to 11.39 if it doesn't start there automatically.) The idea is that you did travel off the map, but also sort of wrapped around it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A&feature=youtu.be&t=699

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I've been playing it on Xbox One, and after a save-bug left me stranded forever on the island with the two Degassi bases, I had a break until the Eyecandy patch solved it.

I have so far lost two Seamoths to my own stupidity and greed. One I lost because I kept exploiting the slow load of tiles and zipped around underground, so I could get stuff without enemies being able to get me. Until I became too greedy with rubies at a vulcano and died. With the Seamoth safely positioned below the sea floor.

The other one I lost because a wreck loaded up around it, trapping it in a little room.

Now I am on my third bloody Moth, and I haven't found a single blueprint for neither drill arm or the grapple hook for the Prawn, which makes it quite useless. And the only Magnetite I can find with my scanners come in those big deposits.

Currently I am building bases with scanner rooms around the map, in the hope I can find some drill arm fragments that way.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Comrade Koba posted:

I bought this a couple of days ago and holy gently caress am I loving it so far. :dance:

I've got the laser cutter, radiation suit and ultra capacity O2 tank, so wreck exploration isn't a problem. Haven't been to the Aurora yet, mostly because I have a real-life crippling phobia of the open ocean and fully expect to soil myself whenever I encounter my first leviathan. :smith:

The deepest I've been so far is the Jellyshroom Cave, where I just popped down to loot the Degasi undersea base.

Any advice on how to proceed?
Make the modification station so you can make the Seamoth depth upgrades (goes down to 900m).
Stick 1 or 2 containers on it and a sonar and you can explore a lot of things including the lost river, pack a spare power cell and food/water as it is a long trip.

If you go to the Aurora bring the laser cutter, repair gun and propulsion canon as well as the usual scanner/torch/beacons, there is a lot of stuff there so you can pack lightly and come back loaded.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 28, 2018

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Technically you don't NEED a propulsion cannon to explore the Aurora, if you're clever about climbing over some boxes. But bring one anyway to punt those eyecrab fuckers into the deep.

Repair tool and laser cutter are mandatory though, and bringing your fire extinguisher doesn't hurt either.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

I realized something kind of silly today as I was building an outpost 800m down in the Lost River. If you build reinforcements on the moonpool it counts as way more than if you build them on say, a corridor, because it's supposed to reinforce structurally weak buildings :downs:

I actually did know about that but I assumed it was a bug :v:

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
drat mid game farming is rough if you want to build the cool toys.

I just struggled to build a Cyclop but this thing is drat near useless on its own, it need a ton of upgrades and if you add in the Prawn suit this is a lot of mining.
And it need to be charged by swapping out the batteries ? isn't there a dock like the moonpool ?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Krogort posted:

drat mid game farming is rough if you want to build the cool toys.

I just struggled to build a Cyclop but this thing is drat near useless on its own, it need a ton of upgrades and if you add in the Prawn suit this is a lot of mining.
And it need to be charged by swapping out the batteries ? isn't there a dock like the moonpool ?

Nope!

Good news, there is eventually a thermal reactor upgrade for the Cyclops.

Bad news. It requires Kyanite, so by the time you're drilling that up you're not that far from "You've essentially beat the game! Here is your infinite respawning supply of ion crystals".

EDIT: Oh right, as a further heads up, unlike the rest of the large resource deposits, Kyanite has a resource count range of ZERO and up, according to the wiki. So many people have thought Kyanite was bugged after getting RNG screwed after several nodes with hardly anything to show for it, only to find it's working as intended. Hope you get lucky and roll the high end "Up to 22 kyanite out of a single tall node" on the first try.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 28, 2018

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Krogort posted:

Make the modification station so you can make the Seamoth depth upgrades (goes down to 900m).
Stick 1 or 2 containers on it and a sonar and you can explore a lot of things including the lost river, pack a spare power cell and food/water as it is a long trip.

If you go to the Aurora bring the laser cutter, repair gun and propulsion canon as well as the usual scanner/torch/beacons, there is a lot of stuff there so you can pack lightly and come back loaded.

Thanks for the advice. :)

Went to the Aurora and got everything in there (took 2 trips), now I need to farm Magnetite so I can build the next depth upgrade for the Seamoth. Is the Jellyshroom Cave a good place to look?
EDIT: It was! Managed to fill my entire inventory and the Seamoth storage unit with magnetite, diamonds and lithium

After that, I need to find somwhere to gather Gel Sacks and Rubies so I can make the aerogel needed to make the Prawn.

Also, when I was gathering Lithium in the Mushroom Forest, I kept hearing some sort of loud whistling/howling in the distance. Was that a leviathan?

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 28, 2018

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
There are some big snake in the mushroom cave but they are not very agressive so I don't think they are leviatan ?
Havn't seen anything like the big monsters from around the Aurora down there.

Gel sack and Ruby are found quite deep but are very visible and found in many areas.
The good thing is that you only need 1 gel sack as they can be farmed in a outdoor pot.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

jboslund posted:

Without having seen it first hand, it reminds me of a certain famous video. (Skip to 11.39 if it doesn't start there automatically.) The idea is that you did travel off the map, but also sort of wrapped around it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A&feature=youtu.be&t=699

I watched this and I have no idea how any of what he discussed actually happened in Mario 64.

Anyway it does kind of seem like that. If anyone feels like having some fun, just pick a direction and swim (in a seamoth). See if you eventually loop past the void like I did. Maybe it was because my seamoth was warped out there? It was definitely an experience.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I found my first time capsule today. It was this and filled with bags of potato chips. I hope I don't find another one.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Due to the coloring Nickel is almost totally invisible to me unless I'm staring right at it (and due to graphical issues it's invisible until it renders right in front of my eyes) so my workaround for both is to just build a base in the Lost River near a thermal vent for infinite power and a scanner room. Going well so far but I really need to make several trips down there so I can make that base fully-functional with all the goodies like desalination for fresh water, a moonpool, aquarium for breeding fish and planters for food and materials. Will probably be worth it just to have a safe spot to retreat to down there. Bonus: cameras drones spawn in with a beacon highlight so I can find this base anytime I want easily now.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Speedball posted:

Due to the coloring Nickel is almost totally invisible to me unless I'm staring right at it (and due to graphical issues it's invisible until it renders right in front of my eyes) so my workaround for both is to just build a base in the Lost River near a thermal vent for infinite power and a scanner room. Going well so far but I really need to make several trips down there so I can make that base fully-functional with all the goodies like desalination for fresh water, a moonpool, aquarium for breeding fish and planters for food and materials. Will probably be worth it just to have a safe spot to retreat to down there. Bonus: cameras drones spawn in with a beacon highlight so I can find this base anytime I want easily now.

I spend 2 hours looking for some nickel...
Hauled my prawn to the lost river entrance (from mountain) then walking down the lost river corridor, I didn't find any nickel until i was down 50% battery and it was a big deposit.
Of course I didn't take the drilling arm as I needed the hand to grab stuff in the river and the graple to haul my rear end around the cave.

So I climbed back (which is a pain in the rear end without the thruster I was trying to get), used some stuff I (luckyly) had on the cyclope as well as some scavenging to build a mini scaning base.
I placed near a volcano midway between the mountain tunel entrance and a very deep hole and it would seem there is no Nickel at all in the "lost river corridor"...well at least there is a lot of everything else so that base won't be totaly useless.

I refited the prawn with a drilling arm+grapler, packed 2 spare power cell and went down on foot to painfuly find some in "lost river junction". I'm lucky that 1 deposit was enough for all the upgrades I needed.

In all those trouble I didn't find a single Nickel (small) rock yea it is both rare and very hard to find.
gently caress nickel

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."

Speedball posted:

I live and die by my locator beacons. I've got my outposts and bases marked in red, the big landmarks like the Aurora, the floater island, and the alien island in yellow, and various wrecks and landmarks I haven't gotten to yet in standard blue. My Seamoth doesn't leave the bay without at least five beacons in the hold.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Did they just remove the ability to find scannable items in the sensor room? I was using it like last week and that option isn't there anymore.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Skyl3lazer posted:

Did they just remove the ability to find scannable items in the sensor room? I was using it like last week and that option isn't there anymore.

Every time I look at my scanner it seems to have different stuff it can scan. Worst was down to 1 page from 3

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Lol I can't beat the game because the rocket platform base won't spawn even with console commands.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bizarre Echo posted:

I live and die by my locator beacons. I've got my outposts and bases marked in red, the big landmarks like the Aurora, the floater island, and the alien island in yellow, and various wrecks and landmarks I haven't gotten to yet in standard blue. My Seamoth doesn't leave the bay without at least five beacons in the hold.

Excellent idea, and probably how the game is meant to be played, honestly, since there's no map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Is anyone disappointed the sunbeam sort of... poofs?

Considering other ships crash landed and had survivors and generated wrecks it was actually really weird.

I was expected to have a cool bit with rubble falling behind me as the wrecked main body of the ship splashed into water in the distance but just... nothing? Weird as hell.