Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Don't give him the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Use the key.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Hide in the elevator

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

There sure are a lot of ties lately! Next vote for using the keys or hiding in the elevator takes it.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Keys because autocorrect hates the word eleven dot

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

Forget writing a note, you decide. You want to see your family again. You want to confront that creep - that mummy - who has stolen your life!

You pick up the keys and flip through them. You spot one with a small piece of masking tape on it. In blue ink, someone has written the word MASTER on the tape.

That's it! The key that will open your family's door!

You race down the hall. The key fits. Just as you had hoped. In an instant, you turn the lock and burst into your family's hotel room.

To your surprise, they're all sitting there wide awake... waiting for you.

Including the mummy. Who looks exactly like you used to!

"Aaaahhhh!" Susie screams when she sees you. "Aaaahhhh! Get him away!"

"I told you!" the mummy who looks like you shouts. "I told you he was following me!"

"Grab him, Derek! Quick!" your dad says.

quote:

Before you know it, Derek and your dad rush forward and grab your arms. Roughly, they wrestle you to the floor.

"No, Dad. It's me!" you want to scream.

But it's Susie who does the screaming. You glance at your mother, hoping that at least she will recognize you. Your own mother!

But her eyes grow wide with fear. She reaches out and yanks Susie toward her. She hugs your little sister close to protect her. From you!

You'd never hurt your own sister!

You struggle to get up, but Derek sits on your legs. Your dad holds your arms.

You flail around and pull one arm free - just for an instant. With a gauzy finger you point accusingly at the mummy. Then you point at yourself, tapping your own chest. Then you point back at the mummy again.

Will they get it? Will your parents see what you're trying to tell them? That the mummy is not really you? And you aren't really the mummy?

For just an instant, they seem to understand.

quote:

You gaze into your mother's eyes. Please understand, you want to say. Please. It's me!

Your mom's mouth starts to open.

"Michael?" she whispers to your dad. "I think it's trying to tell us something."

Your dad gazes deeply into your eyes.

Does he see you in there? Or only empty eye sockets surrounded by horrible, dried, leathery flesh?

Before your dad can answer, the mummy speaks up.

"Yeah, he's telling us something. He's saying he's after me!" the mummy cries. "Like I told you!"

You see a secret twinkle in the mummy's eye. He knows the truth. He knows he's stolen your body! He knows he's telling a huge lie!

But no one else knows.

"Call the hotel security," your father declares. "Better yet, call the police."

"Yeah," the mummy gleefully agrees. "Call the police!"

quote:

The police? Your parents are calling the police - to have them take you away?

Your heart races, panicked at the thought.

You know what's going to happen next. A bunch of museum guys will drag you away and study you. Or scientists from the government. They'll lock you up. Stick things in you. Maybe even cut you open!

Mom! Dad! you silently cry. Don't you know it's me?

Suddenly, you get an idea.

You relax your arms and play dead. Really dead, like a mummy is supposed to be.

Every muscle in your body goes limp.

You just lie perfectly still on the floor, hardly breathing.

The police burst through the door a few moments later. They find a normal-looking family huddled around a motionless Egyptian mummy.

"A living mummy! Yeah, that's a new one," you hear one of the officers say. "Does he look alive to you?"

The other officer chuckles. "Yeah, I've heard some good ones in my time, but that's a first." Then he adds, "All right, put 'em up!"

The policeman is walking toward your dad with handcuffs!

quote:

The officer places your dad in handcuffs! Your family just stands there looking stunned.

"You people must be crazy!" one policeman says. "Vandalizing a priceless Egyptian exhibit like that. We got a call earlier tonight about a stolen mummy, but I didn't think we'd find it this fast!"

Your little sister starts to cry.

Derek shouts, "Wait! Wait! You're making a mistake!"

But the weirdest part of it all is what the mummy does. He starts to laugh!

It's as if he can't help it. He laughs and laughs and laughs. He can't stop. And it doesn't sound like your laugh, either. It's more like an evil cackle! Even the policemen look at him strangely.

Your mom looks down at you lying still on the floor. And she smiles! She smiles right at you.

You stand up with a start and run behind her.

The officers both gasp! One reaches for his gun! But your mom grabs his arm with her hand and stops him.

"Don't you dare!" she shouts. "That's my boy you're after!"

Now it's the mummy's turn to look stunned. Your mom recognizes you! And that's when you finally know you're in for a happy

ENDING

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Mummy's Diary

Goal Endings: 1/3

Bad Endings
Interrupted a ritual and dried up into dust.
Thrown into the ocean and eaten by sharks.
Forced to remain in the mummy's body as a museum exhibit.

Achievements
Night at the Museum: Faced down a decidedly non-supernatural mummy.
Punk'd: Fell for the old "fake mummy with a psychic diary" routine.
A Pharaoh in Frisco: Let the mummy revive himself.
:siren:Sekhmet Switcharoo: Convinced your family of your identity while still in the mummy's body.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Hide in the elevator.
  • Don't give the mummy the diary.
  • Stay in the alcove with the doctors.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Hide with the doctors.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

That was a weird place to end it. It's like they hit their word count and were all gently caress IT.

elevator

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug

quote:

Now it's the mummy's turn to look stunned. Your mom recognizes you! And that's when you finally know you're in for a happy

ENDING
If you say so. Hide in the elevator.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You decide to duck into the elevator.

With the diary tucked under your shirt, you casually stroll over and push the UP button. But the first elevator that arrives is going down.

Oh, well. That'll do.

Quickly, you slip into the elevator. Luckily no one else gets on with you. Your parents don't even notice you're gone.

Great, you think as the car whooshes downward. Now you can read the diary in private.

DING. A bell rings as the doors open to the basement.

"Weird," you say as you step out of the elevator.

This is the basement?

To your amazement, the place looks as if it were build thousands of years ago. The walls are made of huge blocks of rough, tan stone. The only light shines from a fixture over the elevator doors. In the dim glow, you can see that the elevators are the only modern-looking part of the basement.

Cautiously, you walk down a strange, dark hallway. Your sneakers scrape against the stones.

It's really too dark to read the diary. But you can't help wanting to explore.

The diary can wait, you decide.

quote:

What is this place? you wonder. It sure doesn't look like the basement of a modern skyscraper.

Why don't you see any big basement equipment, like boilers and furnaces and things?

Where's the janitor, anyway?

The sound of your footsteps bounces off the stone walls. The echo makes the back of your neck tingle.

The hallway narrows. You duck in some places to avoid banging into the ceiling. The path twists and turns, sometimes sloping up, sometimes down.

There's barely enough light for you to see. You worry that you won't find your way back.

Maybe this is a mistake...

But you keep going. Except for the eerie silence and the darkness, this place is cool. You're too curious to turn back now. You come to a small tunnel leading off to the right. It seems to slope up.

A set of stone steps leads down on the left.

Which way?

If you take the tunnel, turn to PAGE 70.

If you take the steps, turn to PAGE 83.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Mummy's Diary

Bad Endings

Achievements
Sekhmet Switcharoo: Convinced your family of your identity while still in the mummy's body.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Descend the staircase.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You decide to take the stone steps to the left. The narrow tunnel gives you the creeps.

After a few steps down, the stairs level out. You see another set of steps leading upward. You start to climb again.

Your feet scrape across something gritty on the floor. You glance down and see sand.

Sand?

Definitely weird, you think as you reach another stone landing. You feel as if you've been climbing up and down for days. You stretch your legs, and then continue up the stairs.

Where do the steps come out? you wonder. A back exit from the Pyramid Building? Do they lead into another building?

A hot breeze ruffles your hair as you near the top of the steps.

That's odd, you think. It was chilly this morning. And the weatherperson on the TV predicted rain.

Finally, you reach the top. You walk outside and squint as your eyes adjust to the brilliant sun.

"Huh?" Your mouth drops open as you gaze at the scene in front of you.

Sand? Camels? Pyramids? Desert?

Is this - ? No, it can't be. Are you in Egypt?

quote:

No way, you think, shaking your head. This can't be happening. It isn't real.

How can I be in Egypt? you wonder. How?

Stay calm, you tell yourself over and over. You just came out of the Pyramid Building in San Francisco. In the United States of America. You can't be in Egypt!

But you are. You see the pyramids and the camels. You hear the wind blowing across the desert. You feel the sand in your eyes. You can even smell and taste a sweet, flowery fragrance in the air.

You swallow hard and try to figure out how... why...

Suddenly it hits you. The diary. This must have something to do with the mummy's diary!

You yank the ancient pages out from under your shirt and open the diary again.

The words you read just a few minutes ago are gone.

Instead, the whole diary is filled with symbols and pictures.

Hieroglyphics!

quote:

Your hand trembles as you turn page after page. They're all the same. All hieroglyphics!

Terror grips your heart. How can the diary be written in hieroglyphics? Have you somehow gone back in time? On top of everything else?

You glance around and see some people in modern clothes.

Okay, you reassure yourself. At least I'm still in the present.

You may still have a chance at getting back home.

And you want to get there right now!

You turn sharply and head back toward the steps. But a young Egyptian man in a long, white robe blocks your way. He has smooth, tan skin, black hair, and sparkling brown eyes. You notice he's wearing a badge. He must be some kind of security guard.

"No entrance," he says in English.

"But I just came out of there!" you sputter.

"No entrance," he says. "The Great Pyramid is not open."

quote:

The Great Pyramid?

You stare at the guard, your head spinning. You studied Egypt in school. The Great Pyramid is the biggest pyramid in the world. The one that sits in the desert near the Sphinx.

Yup. You're definitely in Egypt.

"But I just came out of there!" you try to explain. "Only it wasn't the Great Pyramid. It was the Pyramid Building!"

The guard laughs. "Ha! You mean that silly building in America?" He shakes his head and laughs again.

"You've got to believe me," you plead. "And look at this!" You shove the diary toward the guard. "This diary. It was written in English a few minutes ago. And now it's all changed to hieroglyphs!"

Before the guard can take the diary, a young man in a tan suit, sunglasses, and a straw hat approaches you.

"I see you have the famous diary of Buthramaman," the man says. He sounds American. "May I see it?"

"Don't give it to him!" the young Egyptian shouts. "Give it to me!"

If you show the diary to the American, turn to PAGE 5.

If you give it to the Egyptian, turn to PAGE 22.

If you turn and run from both of them, turn to PAGE 106.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Mummy's Diary

Bad Endings

Achievements
Sekhmet Switcharoo: Convinced your family of your identity while still in the mummy's body.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I'm going to try to roll up two dead ends before moving on here, so I'll guess that 1. American will steal it, 2. Nobody will turn you into a Cairo beggar forever, and 3. Egyptian will help you out, in that order. If one of those earlier paths isn't a dead end, then we'll just roll with that one. :moonrio:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Don't give it to either, since both of them appear to be cagey and unhelpful.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
Don't trust either of these strange men and get the hell out of here.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You turn and dash away. You race across the desert sands.

You don't trust either of these guys. Why should you? They're trying to take the mummy's diary away from you. The strange diary that magically changed from English to hieroglyphics.

Sand blows in your face as you leave the Great Pyramid far behind. Who cares? You'll eat sand, if you have to. All you want is to get out of here alive.

You try not to let the feeling of cold fear rise into your throat. You swallow hard, choking it back down.

How am I going to get home? you wonder.

And how could the diary change like that?

The diary. Maybe it contains some kind of special message. Maybe, if you can figure out what the hieroglyphics mean, then you'll know how to get home!

You want to examine the diary again. You glance over your shoulder to make sure you're not being followed.

Are you?

Make sure.

quote:

Nobody seems to be around. Nothing but sand. Egypt's hot sun beats down on you, making you feel dizzy and faint. You'd like to sit down in the shade, but there isn't any.

Water, you think. I must have water...

Now you know why they say things like that in old movies. You've never been so thirsty in your life.

Luckily, you had a light jacket with you in San Francisco. It's tied around your waist. You take it off and hold it over your head, using it as a tent for shade.

You open the diary to the first page with writing. It's page seven. You study the hieroglyphics. They look like this:

What do you think it means? If it looks like a bunch of birds sitting around a campfire to you, turn to PAGE 58.

If you see an ancient Egyptian smiley face instead, turn to PAGE 12.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Mummy's Diary

Bad Endings

Achievements

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
hahaha what the gently caress

Clearly, it's a smiley face.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Creepiest thing in the book so far.

it's a :)

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

:mrgw:, surely.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"Looks like an ancient Egyptian smiley face to me," you say out loud.

Uh-oh. You're talking to yourself. And you're seeing smiley faces. You'd better find some water soon!

You suddenly remember that you had a pack of Fruity Bites candy in your pocket. You reach for them. They're still there! And they're only a little melted.

You pop two in your mouth. Ahhhhhhh.

They almost make you forget your parched throat.

Almost.

But not for long.

quote:

If you don't find water soon, you know you are a goner, for sure. So you stagger forward, sucking on the Fruity Bites. Then you see it!

Another smiley face!

Maybe you really are going mad.

It's on that sand dune not far from you. A row of Egyptian statues. Bird-faced pillars carved in stone, like ones you've seen in books on ancient Egypt.

Two statues make the eyes and seven more make the mouth. Exactly like the drawing in the diary! You pull out the diary. Turn to PAGE 7 and check it out again.

The face in the diary has a nose. There's no nose with the statues. But you figure that could just be a picture of the sun. To show you how HOT it is in the desert. That would make sense.

What doesn't make sense is why the ancient Egyptians put a smiley face design in the middle of the desert! And why the mummy's diary has a picture of it!

quote:

Somehow you manage to stumble over to the row of bird-faced statues. When you get there, you realize what the nose on the drawing is for.

There among the statues - halfway between the "eyes" and the "mouth" - is a hole in the sand. And some steps that lead down into it.

You hadn't noticed it until now, but the sun is setting against some sand dunes behind you. It looks just like the picture making the nose in the smiley face!

You notice it now because at that precise angle, the sun's rays reach all the way to the bottom of the hole in the sand. And there you see something amazing.

GOLD. Tons of it. Coins, little statues, scepters, and crowns. All made of gold. The treasure of King Buthramaman.

So that's why everybody wants the diary. It's a treasure map!

But gold's not all you see down there.

You also see teeth.

Sharp, pointy teeth.

Two rows of them. Grinning up from the gigantic mouth of... a crocodile!

quote:

There's a big, ugly crocodile on the steps in front of you. Crocodiles mean water. That means there must be some nearby! But right about now, crocodiles mostly mean danger.

It's like he's guarding the gold.

You freeze. Don't move, you tell yourself. Whatever you do, don't run. No quick movements.

But do you really want to stand there and be eaten alive? Especially when there could be water down in that pit!

Your mind races, trying to think quickly.

Two ideas come to you. You could toss some of the Fruity Bites to the crocodile. Then maybe it would leave you alone.

Or you could try moving very, very slowly past him on the stairs. If you don't find water, you might need those Fruity Bites.

What will you do?

If you throw the croc some Fruity Bites candy, turn to PAGE 116.

If you try to move past him, turn to PAGE 87.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Mummy's Diary

Bad Endings

Achievements

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
I don't think crocodiles are big into fruity candy but feed it anyway and see what happens.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Sure, let's give an apex predator a sugar high and see what happens.

:munch:

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Tick tock, tick tock, don't forget to feed the croc

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You decide to throw the croc some candy.

You are just about to reach into your pocket for some Fruity Bites, when the crocodile suddenly opens his mouth - and attacks you, chomping down hard!

"Aaaahhh!" you scream as you feel his teeth tear through your jeans and begin to pierce your leg.

quote:

With all your strength, you wrestle the croc, trying to pry his mouth open. You throw yourself to the ground, whipping the croc off the stairs and over onto his back.

Frantically, you plunge your hand into your pocket. You pull out a few Fruity Bites and toss them into his mouth, next to where your leg is. The croc opens his jaws wide... wider...

Could it be? Yes! He's letting you escape!

You jump out of his jaws super-fast. But as soon as you're out, the crock smacks his lips together and opens wide.

You can tell from the look on his face that he only wants one thing: more Fruity Bites!

You toss him another handful of Fruity Bites and hurry away.

Uh-oh. Don't look now. With a slap-slap of his stubby legs, the croc follows you! Like a puppy, begging for more candy.

He snaps his jaws together twice. A warning. And you know what it means. Give him Fruity Bites now - or else!

Well, as long as you can afford to keep buying Fruity Bites, you'll stay alive. BUT YOU'RE IN EGYPT. Where are you going to buy Fruity Bites around here?

Guess you're up the Nile without a paddle. To the crocodile, you look like one big Fruity Bite.

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Mummy's Diary

Bad Endings
:siren:Got the attention of a crocodile with a sweet tooth.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Take the tunnel.
  • Show the American the diary.
  • Give the Egyptian the diary.
  • Say the hieroglyphics look like birds sitting around a campfire.
  • Try to sneak past the croc.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Let's see what the nice doctors are up to

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Don't feed the hungry crocodile.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Sneak past the croc. Maybe something else will distract it for us?

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Sneak past the crocodile

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Take the tunnel.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

Sneak past the croc.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Don't smile at the crocodile.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

Water, you say to yourself. I desperately need water.

It's all you can think about. If there's water in that pit, then you've got to get down there.

So, moving as slowly as you can, you step past the croc.

Big mistake.

Because the crocodile was saying to himself, Lunch. I desperately need lunch.

Too bad for you. No water. No treasure. No escape from the croc. Looks like Buthramaman's treasure is fool's gold. And guess who the fool is?

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Mummy's Diary

Bad Endings
Got the attention of a crocodile with a sweet tooth.
:siren:Devoured by a hungry crocodile.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Take the tunnel.
  • Show the American the diary.
  • Give the Egyptian the diary.
  • Say the hieroglyphics look like birds sitting around a campfire.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Birds around a campfire

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Holy poo poo that good ending was actually consistent with the established rules. That inconsistent with the entire rest of the series. Well done Ghost Writer, who I'm assuming is RL Stine as played by Jack Black.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Bird is the word

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Birds around a campfire. Hopefully it ends better this time around.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

An ancient smiley face? That's a good one! You decide it's a bunch of birds sitting around a campfire. They look like they're having a good time, too.

But what does it mean? you wonder. Nobody's there to answer you.

Sand swirls around you. You throat is so hot and dry, you can hardly swallow. You have to find some water.

The best you can do is keep walking. And so you do. You walk and walk and walk.

Twenty minutes. Thirty. Still no water.

But then you see something else. Something you recognize.

The Sphinx! A huge stone monument in the desert, near the pyramids. The Sphinx has the body of a lion, with a human head.

Eagerly, you run the last few hundred feet to the stone monument. He towers over you, more than sixty-feet tall.

Wow, you think, gazing up at the Sphinx. There's something eerie and mysterious about him. He looks as if he knows a secret and won't tell.

Suddenly, you hear a voice. A huge booming voice, coming from the giant statue.

"Go back," the Sphinx commands you. "You must not trespass on the graves of kings!"

quote:

You stare at the Sphinx, your eyes growing wide.

Is this really happening? Is the Sphinx really talking to you? Or have you finally lost your mind?

Then you spot a crowd of people swarming around the base of the monument.

"Go back!" the Sphinx's voice booms again.

Instantly, the crowd turns. They run from the Sphinx, screaming in terror for their lives!

Fear grips you. You don't know why the people are scared, but suddenly you're scared, too.

So you turn and flee. Sand flies in your face as your feet pound across the desert.

"Cut!" a voice suddenly shouts from a megaphone.

quote:

Huh? you think. Did someone just yell "Cut"?

You glance over your shoulder and notice another group of people you hadn't seen before.

It's a movie crew. An American movie crew! It looks as if they're making some kind of adventure picture in Egypt. The crowd of terrorized, running people are all actors and extras. And the voice of the Sphinx is coming from a speaker on the side.

Cool! you think. You wonder who's in the movie.

Then you spot him. The star of the film.

Illinois Smith! He's the character in all those action movies about lost treasures and ancient tombs.

Hey - maybe Illinois Smith can help you figure out what the mummy's diary means!

What do you think?

Do you ask for his help?

Or do you puzzle it out for yourself?

If you ask Illinois Smith for help, turn to PAGE 54.

If you try to figure it out yourself, turn to PAGE 81.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Mummy's Diary

Bad Endings
Got the attention of a crocodile with a sweet tooth.
Devoured by a hungry crocodile.

Achievements

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
He's a bloody actor. Figure it out yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

He's an actor, this one's up to you.