Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

fruit on the bottom posted:

https://www.criticker.com recently expanded from movies/tv to video games. You have to rate at least ten before it starts pumping out recommendations. It works by dividing up your scored titles into tiers based on percentile (so your bottom 5% or whatever of scores is tier 1, the top 5% tier is your highest tier, and then everything else between) and the tiers readjust as you continue to score titles. Basically the idea is that it accounts for differences in scoring between users, so if you score games on a 0-100 scale vs someone who rates them on a 0-5 scale.

Anyway, based on what you liked and what other users like you liked, it spits out some recommendations and even predicts what kind of score you'd give it. Obviously it would get more accurate as you feed it data.

I can't speak for the game side of things yet, but I've been using the movie side (both scoring systems are kept separate) and it's been pretty accurate for me. I will say that it just suggested Bloodborne as my next game to play so I imagine the thread would approve.

Oh sweet, I already used Criticker for movies so it's great to know they are doing this too. It was inconvenient keeping logs of games I played since a lot of the things tend to be platform-specific

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, it surprised me too. It was literally just this last week. Apparently they’ve been working on it for months and just didn’t want to say anything until it was done.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

As usual Monster Hunter shows is that humans are the real monsters. Some dinosaur dragon thing is just hanging out doing what it do and suddenly gunlance to the throat for “research”.

You just put your finger on what's been bugging me about the game.

Between this and the TLOU squeamishness I'm just turning into a gigantic softie.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

Between this and the TLOU squeamishness I'm just turning into a gigantic softie.
I've always felt this way about games based around hurting animals (including Pokemon) but it doesn't stop me from playing and enjoying them. It's just another media and society thing to think about.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Lol really a separate app for Sony rewards are we at 5 yet

Ps app
Messenger
Communities
What am I missing

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

second screen app (which you need if you wanna use your phone keyboard instead of the on-screen one)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

acksplode posted:

I have both and if I had to choose one I'd take the Switch in a heartbeat since I use it much more. PSVR is pretty loving cool though. The library is still mostly shorter games and "experiences" but there's a good variety and a lot of them are legitimately fun in a way that you can't experience on a TV. The few AAA games that support it are way more immersive inside the headset. RE7 was great on TV but it's a goty contender in VR. If you're ok with dropping a few hundred on a novel gaming setup that you might only use every now and then, it's a good buy. Also it's really fun to show off to friends.

i might get one wednesday. but the skyrim bundle is to rich for my blood and i heard bad poo poo about the skyrim vr. id probably pick up fallout 4 vr and a few others. i just want gorn to come out for it. how is the resolution for it? i played vive at my college and that was cool.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 28, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Skyrim VR is great. It's a little ugly but it still rules

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

veni veni veni posted:

Skyrim VR is great. It's a little ugly but it still rules

does it. hmm, may pick it up. i know my gf would love it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah I dunno how but Bethesda made it completely technically competent from day one. After that it's just Skyrim except without TV edges and you feel like you could reach out and boop the dragon's nose.

edit: a friend was visiting from out of town a while ago and played it and then bought a PSVR the day he got home.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 28, 2018

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

if there was a fallout new vegas vr i would literally buy a psvr immediately

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i might get one wednesday. but the skyrim bundle is to rich for my blood and i heard bad poo poo about the skyrim vr. id probably pick up fallout 4 vr and a few others. i just want gorn to come out for it. how is the resolution for it? i played vive at my college and that was cool.

Resolution is bad, you might be spoiled after using a Vive. It's not a big deal though

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Lol really a separate app for Sony rewards are we at 5 yet

Ps app
Messenger
Communities
What am I missing

Don't forget if you do any of their PlayLink games they have an app for each game, rather than a browser based thing like Jackbox.

In 2019 all of my phone apps will be Sony related.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

https://www.criticker.com recently expanded from movies/tv to video games. You have to rate at least ten before it starts pumping out recommendations. It works by dividing up your scored titles into tiers based on percentile (so your bottom 5% or whatever of scores is tier 1, the top 5% tier is your highest tier, and then everything else between) and the tiers readjust as you continue to score titles. Basically the idea is that it accounts for differences in scoring between users, so if you score games on a 0-100 scale vs someone who rates them on a 0-5 scale.

Anyway, based on what you liked and what other users like you liked, it spits out some recommendations and even predicts what kind of score you'd give it. Obviously it would get more accurate as you feed it data.

I can't speak for the game side of things yet, but I've been using the movie side (both scoring systems are kept separate) and it's been pretty accurate for me. I will say that it just suggested Bloodborne as my next game to play so I imagine the thread would approve.

I tried to give a game a modest score of 70 and it told me I rated that game as Not That Good, whereas 80 is Decent and 85 is Great.... wtf

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Bust Rodd posted:

The 2nd boss is a very famous stumbling block and the next 2-4 are comparatively a breeze IMO.

Yeah, the game opens up significantly and all those apparently pointless skills start becoming more important.

Never going to argue the vampire boss isn't a terrible introduction, but writing off all the systems that early is a little weird.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

fridge corn posted:

I tried to give a game a modest score of 70 and it told me I rated that game as Not That Good, whereas 80 is Decent and 85 is Great.... wtf

You can set your own scoring system if you go into your profile, it uses whatever tiers you specify for its recommendation system

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Hino Enma is a bitch but theres a patent solution for almost all bosses. She gets significantly easier on rematches when you can properly exploit her weaknesses

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

WaltherFeng posted:

Hino Enma is a bitch but theres a patent solution for almost all bosses. She gets significantly easier on rematches when you can properly exploit her weaknesses

I don't think it's a coincidence all the major difficulty spikes come from waifus.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Araki posted:

Nioh isn't really grabbing me. I like the level design and the overall aesthetics, and the regular combat is fine, but the boss fights are a pain in the rear end. I'm at the second boss right now (the vampire lady), and the last five attempts all ended with me getting stunlocked and one-shotted less than a minute into the fight. I know that super-tough boss fights that take multiple attempts to figure out are part of the Souls DNA, but so far, Nioh's boss fights seem way more harsh and unfair than the average Souls boss. Between the insta-death stunlock attack of this boss (which I am apparently supposed to roll through, thanks random YouTube video) and the super cramped arena of the previous one, it's all been Capra Demon levels of bullshit.

More importantly, the game just feels so bloated, mechanically speaking. It's like Team Ninja wanted to distinguish their game from the series they're obviously ripping off, and figured that the best way to do so was to add as many different systems as they could think of to the basic gameplay. There's the convoluted loot system, the stats (including, of course, a weight limit stat; God forbid you try to improve on even the worst parts of the game you're copying), one entire skill tree for each weapon type, the ninja skills, the magic skills, the guardian spirits, the weapon upgrade stuff, the Kodama boosts, and finally the Prestige Points, which has to be the most pointless "feature" in the entire game. It all feels really superfluous too; I hardly ever need all these special techniques during the regular fights, and I can't use them during the boss fights, because anything more audacious than "single quick hit when they're recovering from an attack" is usually a bad idea.

So, given all of the above, should I try to stick with it? Like, is this a case of "it'll get significantly better once you reach X", or are the first two or three levels representative of what the rest of the game will be like?

It'll really help to equip gear with Vs Paralysis against her. There's a full set of Archer Garb with that throughout the level. Also, shoot her out of the air.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

fridge corn posted:

What was your lowest score? Presuming you don't use custom tiers it's all relative to the scores you've put in. So if the 70 is toward the low end of the scores you give and you've got a lot of mid to high 90s, that's going to push the 70 down.

So for example my movie Criticker had a bunch of classic movies that I'd just rated, so I had a movie ranked at 75 that was listed as "Not that Hot". Then I put in the score for a really poo poo movie I'd seen recently (like 20) and that 75 was now in the "Decent" tier.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

What was your lowest score? Presuming you don't use custom tiers it's all relative to the scores you've put in. So if the 70 is toward the low end of the scores you give and you've got a lot of mid to high 90s, that's going to push the 70 down.

So for example my movie Criticker had a bunch of classic movies that I'd just rated, so I had a movie ranked at 75 that was listed as "Not that Hot". Then I put in the score for a really poo poo movie I'd seen recently (like 20) and that 75 was now in the "Decent" tier.

I am a terrible reviewer :negative:

But that does look like a pretty sweet website, thanks for the rec!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Samuringa posted:

That looks about right

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I'd maybe knock 10 off Hotline Miami but that's a good list

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is it possible to stop download speed being throttled when I'm playing something else?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Is it possible to stop download speed being throttled when I'm playing something else?

play something that doesn't use your connection

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
There was some article that said if you have anything running or suspended, the download speed is throttled. It's built in to the system apparently. I'll see if I can find the article.

edit: https://www.snellman.net/blog/archive/2017-08-19-slow-ps4-downloads/

from the article posted:

Conclusions
If any applications are running, the PS4 appears to change the settings for PSN store downloads, artificially restricting their speed. Closing the other applications will remove the limit. There are a few important details:

Just leaving the other applications running in the background will not help. The exact same limit is applied whether the download progress bar is in the foreground or not.
Putting the PS4 into rest mode might or might not help, depending on your system settings.
The artificial limit applies only to the PSN store downloads. It does not affect e.g. the built-in speedtest. This is why the speedtest might report much higher speeds than the actual downloads, even though both are delivered from the same CDN servers.
Not all applications are equal; most of them will cause the connections to slow down by up to a factor of 5. Some games will cause a difference of about a factor of 100. Some games will start off with the factor of 5, and then migrate to the factor of 100 once you leave the start menu and start playing.
The above limits are artificial. In addition to that, actively playing a game can cause game downloads to slow down. This appears to be due to a genuine lack of CPU resources (with the game understandably having top priority).
So if you're seeing slow downloads, just closing all the running applications might be worth a shot. (But it's obviously not guaranteed to help. There are other causes for slow downloads as well, this will just remove one potential bottleneck). To close the running applications, you'll need to long-press the PS button on the controller, and then select "Close applications" from the menu.

Danith fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 28, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Midjack posted:

Monster Hunter isn’t THAT bad about it though. I’ve had the same issues and while I wish it was a little more skewed towards them being universally an issue/evil or something, the game handles it well. There’s an expectation of respecting the hunt and the environment. Learning about the way the monsters live, etc. It’s never any sort of gently caress YEAH MURDER poo poo which for me at least is a relief. It takes it’s theme seriously enough to never bank on the pure entertainment of hurting creatures. There’s also the fact that you’re hunting in a hunter gatherer type of society and it’s an expectation that you’re using most of the monster for food + crafting your weapons and armor.

Not sure if that helps but I totally understand your viewpoint and wanted to maybe show you how I approach the game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Samuringa posted:

I may the only that find the actual rating system is kind of bad. A 60% game should be "okay" and a bad game in the 40ish zone. Right now someone can rate a game with a 8/10 or 80% and it means that is good but with a good bunch of flaws. I'd like a system where a 50% means that is mediocre but worth playing and anything below bad, terrible and "hell no".

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As much as I like MHW I'm already getting Destiny flashbacks as I'm doing the same mission for a third time for whatever reason. I'm still having fun for now but I can already tell I'm gonna burn out hard in a week or two as I always do with any MMO grind.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Guillermus posted:

I may the only that find the actual rating system is kind of bad. A 60% game should be "okay" and a bad game in the 40ish zone. Right now someone can rate a game with a 8/10 or 80% and it means that is good but with a good bunch of flaws. I'd like a system where a 50% means that is mediocre but worth playing and anything below bad, terrible and "hell no".

You can literally set this rating system in your profile.

The way that Criticker's system works is that by default it tries to sort your ratings into tiers based on the range of numbers you use. But they encourage you to specifically go in and and say "This score is in this tier, and this tier means this."

So you can literally type in "50% is mediocre but worth playing" into your profile. This allows your ratings to mesh with someone who says "70% is mediocre but worth playing" and have all the comparisons and recommendations still make sense

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Witcher was pretty good with its contract quests making it clear either there's some monstrous beast terrorizing a village and the only choice is to kill it, or other times that wasn't the whole story and you might find another solution.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There was one Witcher quest where I picked some option that sounded innocuous and then Geralt started being racist against elves?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Danith posted:

There was some article that said if you have anything running or suspended, the download speed is throttled. It's built in to the system apparently. I'll see if I can find the article.

edit: https://www.snellman.net/blog/archive/2017-08-19-slow-ps4-downloads/
I'll put my system into rest mode if I'm downloading something that I want done asap, but why is Sony so goddamn bad at internetting? :psyduck:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

As much as I like MHW I'm already getting Destiny flashbacks as I'm doing the same mission for a third time for whatever reason. I'm still having fun for now but I can already tell I'm gonna burn out hard in a week or two as I always do with any MMO grind.

Good to know, I might give it a miss

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So time for over night downloads it seems. Cheers guys, hoped there was a way to use the drat thing and still download stuff at a reasonable rate.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Good to know, I might give it a miss

MHW is definitely a "play a lot until you get bored" kind of game. The combat is fun once you get the hang of it and there are a lot of different nuances between all the weapons, monster and environmental gimmicks, but the gameplay loop of kill, craft, repeat is what it all comes down to and nothing will ever change that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m far from a long time MH fanboy or anything but consider that the fights are almost like a fighting game type of situation. It’s not like Destiny’s shoot a thing and do a mechanic until thing is dead. It’s about learning your weapon styles and mastering your understanding of the environment and the way the monsters fight. It’s way more satisfying and has a killer feeling of progression of both loot + player ability. I am biased considering I love (good) grinding and mmo busywork but MH doesn’t allow you to fall into the Destiny trap of hiding shallow depth behind flashy gameplay.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Monster Hunter Worlds is the best game I have played on Playstation 4.

The world feels alive! Huge dinosaurs come to fight each other randomly during your hunt and it feels like one of those scripted E3 demos.

Also, there are so much toys you can play with. Capcom had the benefit of having a whole series of games to iterate, and it shows. They didn't really gave up on a lot of ideas, they kept adding and tweaking things along the way. It is just filled with mechanics you can learn and improve your hunt. And it just feels so good.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Your point about scripted E3 demos is actually spot on. There are tons of moments that feel like they’re expertly crafted to feel epic and insane but it’s the way they set up the encounters.

To bring it down to earth that basically means that every 4 fights a giant t rex kicks the gently caress in to ruin your day. But it’s neat. And always happens in the most cinematic way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

singateco posted:

Monster Hunter Worlds is the best game I have played on Playstation 4.

The world feels alive! Huge dinosaurs come to fight each other randomly during your hunt and it feels like one of those scripted E3 demos.

Also, there are so much toys you can play with. Capcom had the benefit of having a whole series of games to iterate, and it shows. They didn't really gave up on a lot of ideas, they kept adding and tweaking things along the way. It is just filled with mechanics you can learn and improve your hunt. And it just feels so good.

How does it compare to the previous MH games?

I've tried getting into some of them in the past but the controls have been one of a number of things that have put me off of it.

Things like not really knowing how much damage i'm dealing to a monster and having to grind stuff over and over again were also big detractors.

Does MHW have a lot more quality of life things that alleviate some of that?