Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Got the Humble Monthly for Owlboy but I already own Civ VI base game so here's a steam key!

4Q*27-J*FI3-4AYYZ

* = the 8th letter in my username

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

amazeballs posted:

Got the Humble Monthly for Owlboy but I already own Civ VI base game so here's a steam key!

4Q*27-J*FI3-4AYYZ

* = the 8th letter in my username

Claimed this, MY MAN!

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
After a week or so of Rise & Fall (just Incase there is anything game breaking that requires a patching) I値l probably post a couple open PYDT games.

So, plan to join in on some MP games if you are also buying the expansion!

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

onesixtwo posted:

After a week or so of Rise & Fall (just Incase there is anything game breaking that requires a patching) I値l probably post a couple open PYDT games.

Lol they won't patch in a week.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

onesixtwo posted:

Is there a possibility of having goon sessions? Like 1 or 2 hours weekly that we can devote to playing civ6 in multiplayer?

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

turboraton posted:

Claimed this, MY MAN!

:cheers:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

turboraton posted:

Claimed this, MY MAN!

Wait so you've been posting loads of stuff in defence of the game and you don't even own it?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Well, who else would defend it? :v:

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/DJBentley/status/956649524927320066?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E1

Henry Bridget is a loving pussy

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Taear posted:

Wait so you've been posting loads of stuff in defence of the game and you don't even own it?

:files: I even posted a mini session.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

so that's how a diplomatic victory happens

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

turboraton posted:

:files: I even posted a mini session.

You're admitting to pirating it? Well, great.

I feel like I'd have enjoyed the game more if I hadn't needed to pay for it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
New wonder, the Amundsen-Scott Research Station, aka. the South Pole Station.

https://twitter.com/CivGame/status/956904649902120960

Referencing this site, meanwhile, assuming it's correct, the exact requirements and effects of the wonder are... Hoo boy. It comes with the Cold War civic in the Atomic Era, it needs to be built on snow or snow hills (not tundra, snow), next to a Campus with a Research Lab, and since it's such a late wonder its base cost is 1680 production. Not easy to manage in a production-poor area like that.

Its effects, meanwhile, are +5 Great Scientist points, and +20% science and +10% production in all cities. Those yields are doubled if there are five or more snow and/or snow hill tiles within three tiles of and owned by the city.

Basically, it's an absolutely ridiculous wonder that would be a monumental pain to make, since you have to build it in what might be the least-productive part of the map possible, particularly if you want the doubled bonus as snow tiles have no yields (though even the base bonus is absurd so it's not exactly necessary). I'm not entirely sure how to feel about it; it probably won't be built often, and it comes pretty late, but if it is built then whoever got it will have an absurd advantage.

Still, it's a neat thing to have as a wonder, I suppose.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well, the usual thing with the person who's most ahead in science gets a head start and an easier time winning it. :v:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Poil posted:

Well, the usual thing with the person who's most ahead in science gets a head start and an easier time winning it. :v:

It comes from a civic, so you'll need culture to get this one first, actually. Which is an interesting factor now that I think about it; it's a wonder that gives science and production, but good science can't get it for you. (Which, given that it's a research station, it not coming from a tech arguably makes no sense, but from a gameplay perspective it's still interesting.)

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The base cost of the wonder, combined with the cost of building a Campus, Library, University, and Research Lab in a Snow-heavy city in the Atomic era means I think that while it's very powerful on paper it's unlikely to make that much impact on the game. It's interesting in concept though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Roland Jones posted:

Basically, it's an absolutely ridiculous wonder that would be a monumental pain to make, since you have to build it in what might be the least-productive part of the map possible

nah, it's cheap af. just send a bunch of hammer trade routes to it. it's what i do when i build late game cities in 6--they'd never have the production to put up a single district if you don't.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
China would have an easier time gunning for it because, aside from the 15% bonus, they could just drop builders on it from other cities.

E: :negative:

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 26, 2018

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

China would have an easier time gunning for it because, aside from the 15% bonus, they could just drop builders on it from other cities.

China can only rush Ancient/Classical wonders using builder charges.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

But you can get decent cities with one tile of snow and only some tundra, right? Like when you get one tile of desert and build the petra just to gently caress over anyone who's trying to build it with a lot of terrible tiles?

Roland Jones posted:

It comes from a civic, so you'll need culture to get this one first, actually. Which is an interesting factor now that I think about it; it's a wonder that gives science and production, but good science can't get it for you. (Which, given that it's a research station, it not coming from a tech arguably makes no sense, but from a gameplay perspective it's still interesting.)
Oh, I missed that. That's actually good.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The White Dragon posted:

nah, it's cheap af. just send a bunch of hammer trade routes to it. it's what i do when i build late game cities in 6--they'd never have the production to put up a single district if you don't.

Yeah, trade routes would definitely help, and that's probably a wonder it's worth using most/all your trade routes on getting.

Though, if you want this wonder, I think it'd be better to build a city for it before the Atomic Era arrives. Get that Campus up and stuff before you can build the wonder itself. Heck, make it early enough and go for St. Basil's Cathedral too, so the tundra tiles in range are actually good and you have that much more of a chance of getting the wonder. The culture per tundra tile will even let you get Cold War faster.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

China can only use builders on Ancient and Classical Era wonders.

Poil posted:

But you can get decent cities with one tile of snow and only some tundra, right? Like when you get one tile of desert and build the petra just to gently caress over anyone who's trying to build it with a lot of terrible tiles?

Oh yeah, I mentioned that in my first post; even getting it without the doubled bonus is great because the bonuses are still absurd.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 26, 2018

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

It seems a bit odd that an isolated, pure research facility has to be located in a nearby city with its own research lab and presumably a University of Antarctica within it. I'm guessing it also gets tourism which, again, seems odd for what it's supposed to be. I'm curious if it's possible to make the wonder instead be a unique settler that creates the facility wherever you need to, even outside your borders.

FreeMars
Mar 22, 2011
What about Russia? Already culture heavy with a tundra bias. Just buy a snow tile in your capital and keep an eye on your first campus placement.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FreeMars posted:

What about Russia? Already culture heavy with a tundra bias. Just buy a snow tile in your capital and keep an eye on your first campus placement.

Yeah, Russia has an advantage to getting this, unless they happen to have their capital too far from the snow to get some in range. Though one of their later cities will still probably have a better shot at getting it than anyone else's.

Bluff Buster posted:

It seems a bit odd that an isolated, pure research facility has to be located in a nearby city with its own research lab and presumably a University of Antarctica within it. I'm guessing it also gets tourism which, again, seems odd for what it's supposed to be. I'm curious if it's possible to make the wonder instead be a unique settler that creates the facility wherever you need to, even outside your borders.

Those are just the game mechanics; I've talked about "outposts" and such with people in the past, and they'd be really neat, but I doubt we're getting something like that soon. So in the meantime, such an absurdly powerful wonder needs pretty tough requirements, hence a filled out Campus down in the region you'd build this thing.

Also, every world wonder gives tourism, yes. That's inherent to being a world wonder. If you need to rationalize it, think of it as other nations' scientists coming to the research station or something; each wonder doesn't give that much tourism, after all.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 26, 2018

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bluff Buster posted:

Well, it is completely dependent on McMurdo station, which is... kind of a city, if you squint. And Amundsen-Scott is open to tourists. So it's not 100% inaccurate.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

turboraton posted:

Is there a possibility of having goon sessions? Like 1 or 2 hours weekly that we can devote to playing civ6 in multiplayer?

I personally couldn稚 really commit to a routine scheduled game as my work schedule tends to vary, but I知 expecting more interest to be in the thread post launch.

I wouldn稚 be opposed to joining up if the time were to fit for me, and if I end up having a free day where I want to do a Civ MP game all day, I値l make a post myself.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's not that hard to get reasonable production up in a south pole city in the later game. Worthless tundra can turned into lumber mills once you get conservation, and there's usually a decent spot of production-heavy resources. I've build Broadway on the south pole in one game, just for kicks.

Poil posted:

You monster. I bet you're the kind of person who would build Chichen Itza in a city with three rainforests just too keep anyone near the equator from getting it. :argh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nah I usually chop the rainforests and farm over them. drat worthless tiles. But thanks for the suggestion.

Poil fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 27, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Be China (for early wonders) or Egypt (for wonders in general), get diplomatic access to the level you can see when they start making wonders, then wait until after they've started and rush that same wonder. Do it in the worst possible city for said wonder too, like Petra in the aforementioned one desert tile city or Chichen Itza in a city you cleared all the other rainforest. Or Huey Teocalli in a single-tile lake, when you have no other lake times in your empire. Or the Colosseum as far from any other cities as possible, etc.

Then take screenshots and post them where the other players can see them.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Late, but I think the Robert the Bruce agenda is based off of https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_campaign_in_Ireland

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
A buddy got me this game and so far the new district system plus Civ5-style hexes and systems is a weird and wonderful hybrid between Civ1-3 "flood the world with cities, what the gently caress is specialization" and Civ4-onwards "actually pay attention to what your cities can do". I'm liking it a lot, though I'm still learning idiosyncrasies about district positioning and how they factor into your development.

I have some questions though: I like how Farms can be used to boost your housing in the earlier eras (both historic and cool to look at), and generally I've tried to follow the rule of growing your cities up to your amenities limit. However, since it feels like being just one pop away from your soft cap already hits you with a big growth penalty (probably wrong, but it sure does feel like it), how much food per turn do you guys usually push towards in order to balance a good growth rate and production/science/whatever?

Second question: I'm really liking Trajan right now with his ability to instantly establish road networks and monuments as he expands. I actually prefer building tall, but since this game isn't really about tall play in the form of massive cities, I've instead used it mainly to quickly build a network of cities in order to feed Rome with a lot of internal trade routes. That said, I've wondered just how far to space cities between each other since Aqueduct/Bath availability seems to be a major factor when it comes to whether a city can actually grow massive. What do you guys recommend? I've generally settled for 4 hexes for cities that can't access Aqueducts/Baths, while going the full 6 for cities that can.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

toasterwarrior posted:

A buddy got me this game and so far the new district system plus Civ5-style hexes and systems is a weird and wonderful hybrid between Civ1-3 "flood the world with cities, what the gently caress is specialization" and Civ4-onwards "actually pay attention to what your cities can do". I'm liking it a lot, though I'm still learning idiosyncrasies about district positioning and how they factor into your development.

I have some questions though: I like how Farms can be used to boost your housing in the earlier eras (both historic and cool to look at), and generally I've tried to follow the rule of growing your cities up to your amenities limit. However, since it feels like being just one pop away from your soft cap already hits you with a big growth penalty (probably wrong, but it sure does feel like it), how much food per turn do you guys usually push towards in order to balance a good growth rate and production/science/whatever?

Second question: I'm really liking Trajan right now with his ability to instantly establish road networks and monuments as he expands. I actually prefer building tall, but since this game isn't really about tall play in the form of massive cities, I've instead used it mainly to quickly build a network of cities in order to feed Rome with a lot of internal trade routes. That said, I've wondered just how far to space cities between each other since Aqueduct/Bath availability seems to be a major factor when it comes to whether a city can actually grow massive. What do you guys recommend? I've generally settled for 4 hexes for cities that can't access Aqueducts/Baths, while going the full 6 for cities that can.

No, you're right, being one under the Housing limit hits you with a 50% growth penalty. At the Housing limit to four above it makes the penalty 75%, and five or more over it, you stop growing. I haven't exactly aimed for a specific amount of food per turn; if I still have Housing space I'll try to get it high, but at the same time, production's probably the most important yield in VI and the one you usually try to maximize, since it determines how fast you make things and cities can't grow infinitely anymore.

Anyway, city placement... That's actually a somewhat tough one with a lot of different factors. It kind of depends on what civ you're playing (Germany and Japan, having major adjacency bonuses in their kit, like to settle closer so they can have a lot of adjacent districts, for example), but geography and such are really important too. I know this isn't exactly helpful and is mostly stating the obvious, but it's something you learn over time and frequently have to make decisions for per game. Though for Trajan, you've correctly identified that Baths are important; most civs don't care so much about building Aqueducts in cities that already have fresh water, but Rome wants them even there as the Housing and Amenities are significant. They can also get away with settling cities that don't get fresh water immediately but can build a Bath because it's cheaper for them so they'll get it built faster.

Something I learned over time, though, settling cities closer than six tiles away isn't that big a deal; due to Housing and Amenities soft-capping (and eventually hard-capping) population, you almost certainly won't be working every tile in range anyway, and even civs without major bonuses to it can have districts and improvements in two or more different cities offering adjacency bonuses to each other. Though Trajan in particular is probably meant to be a bit more expansive, what with the extra Housing and free monuments causing his borders to grow faster, plus the roads to move around more quickly, etc.

As for building tall, the upcoming expansion will make that more viable though a few different means. You'll still be wider than Civ V, but it'll be much harder to just settle wherever you want and stuff. (Though, again, Trajan specifically will probably go wide, relatively.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 28, 2018

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I've found you can basically settle just about anywhere between 4-6 tiles away safely. Prioritize important resources, terrain chokepoints and natural wonders. The thing to remember is that cities are so specialized with districts, even a small city with a theater district, for example, is going to contribute to your overall empire. Your main consideration is going to be keeping enough amenities to keep everyone happy.

The loyalty mechanics might change this, but for now it's ok to settle a bunch. I got gunshy after civ V too and had to relearn that.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

E: I actually went and read things and it's not out yet, I'm really dumb.

Looks good, though.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 28, 2018

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

turboraton posted:

I would be up for this, but being in the UK, I suspect the timing will end up being awkward for me

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks for the advice, guys! Especially you, Roland Jones; since you confirmed that being one short of the housing cap cripples your growth, I've been a fair bit more aggressive with builders and it's been helping.

My current game had me all alone on my continent and I can pretty much win it now since I've locked it all down. Unfortunately, I didn't know that districts were capped through population, so I got carried away with building both commercial hubs and harbors everywhere. It seems that a population-heavy playstyle is better off with harbors through the lighthouse, so I suppose next run I should pick one or the other. Meanwhile, apart from the mandatory trade district, it seems that going industrial district, then either campus or entertainment depending on how lucky one gets with luxuries is a good game plan for Trajan since internal trade and his free monuments go a long way towards ensuring cultural parity.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

So apparently the expansion is going to adjust the starting positions so that each major civ have more distance between them, with city states occupying the space between major civs. I'd like to make some other suggestions, such as a minimum amount of land and a guaranteed luxury nearby:

You may think that there must be land beyond that starting mountain, but ...

Oh, and if you were thinking that I could just rush Shipbuilding to get to the nearby mainland,

Cartography takes about 92 turns to research at this point, by the way.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bluff Buster posted:

So apparently the expansion is going to adjust the starting positions so that each major civ have more distance between them, with city states occupying the space between major civs. I'd like to make some other suggestions, such as a minimum amount of land and a guaranteed luxury nearby:

You may think that there must be land beyond that starting mountain, but ...

Oh, and if you were thinking that I could just rush Shipbuilding to get to the nearby mainland,

Cartography takes about 92 turns to research at this point, by the way.

this has been a major bug since like august, and they already released a patch to "fix" it. if you believe even for a moment that they're gonna change it in the expansion, you've been hoodwinked

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I was aware that the spawns were buggy since the last major patch, but I thought it was just players starting way too close to each other to the point where you can just take their settler. I didn't realize the starting algorithm was somehow unintentionally, completely upended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

this has been a major bug since like august, and they already released a patch to "fix" it. if you believe even for a moment that they're gonna change it in the expansion, you've been hoodwinked

Hasn't popped up in any of the preview streams/videos.

Bluff Buster posted:

I was aware that the spawns were buggy since the last major patch, but I thought it was just players starting way too close to each other to the point where you can just take their settler. I didn't realize the starting algorithm was somehow unintentionally, completely upended.

It really sucks. There's a mod to fix it though.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 28, 2018