Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

CaptainScraps posted:

I can't deal with Moira's nearly unkillable rear end. My ranking has tanked 400+ SR since she's been introduced.

Who do you generally play as?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Ravenfood posted:

Who do you generally play as?

Tracer, soldier and Pharah

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

CaptainScraps posted:

I mainly play pharah and winston and its loving brutal

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

GodFish posted:

I mainly play pharah and winston and its loving brutal

I also play Winston. She's a monster.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CaptainScraps posted:

You need to play moira on the practice range and figure out the range of her right click. Soldier and Pharah should annihilate her.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 28, 2018

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CaptainScraps posted:

Moira isn't a really big threat to Phara or Tracer, both of them can pretty easily disengage and in Pharas case, Disengage and pelt Moira in the face with Rockets. Soldier has a rougher time, but similar, fight Moira at longer distances so it's easier to click her in the face, he also might be able to outsprint Moira. Moira's a great mass healer and will punish squishies for not respecting her range, but she crumbles when CC'd or fought at a mid to long range when alone.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Defenestrategy posted:

Moira isn't a really big threat to Phara or Tracer, both of them can pretty easily disengage and in Pharas case, Disengage and pelt Moira in the face with Rockets. Soldier has a rougher time, but similar, fight Moira at longer distances so it's easier to click her in the face, he also might be able to outsprint Moira. Moira's a great mass healer and will punish squishies for not respecting her range, but she crumbles when CC'd or fought at a mid to long range when alone.

Moira can hold her own against soldier as long as she avoids the rockets and drop a heal orb.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hobbesmaster posted:

You need to play moira on the practice range and figure out the range of her right click. Soldier and Pharah should annihilate her.

It bears mention that it has a similar deceptiveness in range to that of Zarya, except it is surprisingly long. It's also not auto-tracking in the way symmetra's left click is. It's sort of off-feeling because you'd expect something closer to symmetra where you'd sort of lock on and have to stay close, but instead it's probably closer to Zarya's beam in practice.

But yeah her range isn't long by any measure and unless you get caught in a really disadvantageous position like a close-in hallway with all her abilities off cooldown you should be able to just straight up cancel her out with soldier, mccree, pharah, or even widow. Probably even Mei because as far as I'd know her drain attack doesn't block the freeze effect. But yeah she's nasty if you are a little judicious in picking your fights and disengage wisely.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

RE: Discord chat.
Discord is available on smartphones, so you could just plug in your headphones to your phone if you did want comms in discord.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
So basically engage Moira at long range. Ok.

Who wrecks her?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CaptainScraps posted:

So basically engage Moira at long range. Ok.

Who wrecks her?

Tanks not named winston. Hanjo/Widow/Torb/Reaper/Phara/Soldier depending on range. Mcree. Genji is a toss up depending on if he reflects the orb and hits his shurikens and dashes.

I found against good opponents as Moira you live and die on your positioning because fights can turn really bad really quick even with your escape.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 28, 2018

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Maybe there are no good players tanks in gold, but Orisa and Reinhardt are kinda terrible against Moira. Your orb goes through their shields, and while you can't kill them it's not really your job as a healer. Roadhog can't kill you quicker than you can fade out after he lands one shot and then he's a heal battery. If you're quick enough he can't even hook you because you can fade when he throws it and the cooldown is shorter.

D.Va is pretty meh. Can't really kill you unless she chases you for ages, and if she chases you she's not tanking. If she is tanking she's a heal battery.

Zarya, however, does wreck you.

If you have to actually do the killing them yeah they all beat you, but in that case you lost the game anyway because your DPS aren't doing anything.

Thoughtless fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 28, 2018

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

Dva is one of Moira's hardest counters. She can eat the orbs and has the mobility and dps to chase Moira down. Her armor also cuts succ beam's damage in half.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Moly B. Denum posted:

Dva is one of Moira's hardest counters. She can eat the orbs and has the mobility and dps to chase Moira down. Her armor also cuts succ beam's damage in half.

Yeah, her armor doesn't affect the self-healing however so between your own mobility and that it'll take her forever to kill you, in my experience. And of course, if she's chasing you around the map, then both teams are down one player.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Thoughtless posted:

Yeah, her armor doesn't affect the self-healing however so between your own mobility and that it'll take her forever to kill you, in my experience. And of course, if she's chasing you around the map, then both teams are down one player.
I kind of like playing against D.Va as Moira. Yeah, she'll eat my orbs, but it's really hard for her to kill me due to fade, and it's really easy for me to charge heals off of her.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I'd say a big part of DVA's current competitive appeal is that she can doggedly chase people down and finish them off after they've used their escape cooldown.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
^^ A suitably cautious Moira will keep Dva at arm's length, and fade in response to boost to keep it that way. Boost probably won't recharge in time to do it again.

Ersatz posted:

I kind of like playing against D.Va as Moira. Yeah, she'll eat my orbs, but it's really hard for her to kill me due to fade, and it's really easy for me to charge heals off of her.

Also is she eject from Moira damage she'll probably not touch the ground.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
It took me 4 minutes to get a death match game. Game dead?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Aside from occasional backfills (whyyyyyyyy) I get queued in death match really drat fast.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/ChaosSmurf/status/957996800627167233

Specifics about the transfer rules for the league look interesting.

(Sorry if these details were already known.)

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I think symmetra's shield should travel in whichever direction symmetra is traveling in.

e: that too V

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 29, 2018

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
The shield should move slowly enough to give it a chance in Hell to absorb enough damage to break before it flies off the map.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Naerasa posted:

The shield should move slowly enough to give it a chance in Hell to absorb enough damage to break before it flies off the map.

The shield for Sym should be abandoned. Give her something else. Too many barriers already.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

she should throw a defense matrix grenade

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Ignite Memories posted:

she should throw a defense matrix grenade

Imagine if she could stick turrets on to her shield which then stick to whatever surface it breaks on

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

AlternateAccount posted:

The shield for Sym should be abandoned. Give her something else. Too many barriers already.

Mentioned in the tryhard thread that she should be able to build walls and ramps like you can in FortniteBR. Fits in with her being an architect and whatnot.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

AlternateAccount posted:

From my cold, mechanical hand, buddy. The shield lets Sym burn other players cooldowns before you microwave them, it's paramount to her tool kit because she has no way to close gaps, she needs something that lets her engage/disengage the way the shield does.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

teagone posted:

Mentioned in the tryhard thread that she should be able to build walls and ramps like you can in FortniteBR. Fits in with her being an architect and whatnot.
That sounds potentially OP, but I'd love to see them try it, because a hero that makes new paths and barriers would both be tons of fun, and would undoubtedly unlock all kinds of creative tactics.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

If we're armchair developing, I think it'd be cool if Teleporter were changed to be a normal ability. Let her place the entrance/exit manually and at range (think Reaper Shadowstep's placement logic).

I mean basically I'd just copy the ideas behind Tassadar/Medivh's spells from HotS and give Symmetra that. Targeted barriers with healing, 2-way portals, vision, stasis CC, etc.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ersatz posted:

That sounds potentially OP, but I'd love to see them try it, because a hero that makes new paths and barriers would both be tons of fun, and would undoubtedly unlock all kinds of creative tactics.

Yeah, I figure the ability to build structures would have it's own resource meter like D.Va's defense matrix and Bastion's repair so that she just can't build a megastructure in a matter of seconds, but still be able build something useful on the fly in a team fight or when initiating.

In my mind, there's two ways I see it working. Both involve hitting "E" that swaps Symmetra into build mode, and either:

1) In build mode, you use M1 to draw line directions that creates blueprints of what structure you want to build, e.g., drawing a vertical line creates the blueprint for a wall, a diagonal line creates a ramp, and a horizontal line creates a roof/floor/platform. Drawing an X destroys the blueprint. To actually build a structure, you hold down M2 aiming at the blueprint, which drains a resource meter. I guess it'd only take maybe a second to fill out a structure, maybe faster or slower, I don't know. I guess the bigger, more complex the structure, the longer it takes to build and the more resources it uses. This would be the harder implementation. The easier one would be:

2) When you hit "E" and swap to build mode, you can drop down a hard light wall initially, but hitting "E" again swaps to a ramp, and hitting "E" one more time swaps to a roof/floor/platform. Basically "E" cycles through the structures you can build, and you can drop them on the fly by hitting M1. They aren't initially built, but automatically build themselves over time — again 1 or 2 seconds to fill out, faster or slower, not sure which would be best. Each time you create a structure, it'll drain a resource meter. Once depleted or left alone for a bit, the resource meter will recharge. M2 gives Symmetra the ability to destroy her hard-light structures.

[edit] After typing it out like that, that does sound kind of OP lmao. Maybe rework it to be her ult somehow? And like Nova said above, maybe move her teleporter to be a regular ability in her kit, but put it on a super long CD like res. Also maybe make going through the teleporter heal the player too?

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 29, 2018

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

novaSphere posted:

If we're armchair developing, I think it'd be cool if Teleporter were changed to be a normal ability. Let her place the entrance/exit manually and at range (think Reaper Shadowstep's placement logic).

I mean basically I'd just copy the ideas behind Tassadar/Medivh's spells from HotS and give Symmetra that. Targeted barriers with healing, 2-way portals, vision, stasis CC, etc.

Wonder how that could work? Would it be a cooldown like Mercy's ult with a long time between placing a new teleporter, or she can place it down but it has a long time before it can be used again?

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

In my head, you'd place the exit somewhere and the entrance would just spawn at your location. It would stay up for a little while or until destroyed, and the cooldown begins when it's placed.

You could go to or from each pad with a short blocker debuff to prevent you from rapidly going back and forth.

See also Medivh in HOTS

https://youtu.be/eDIHAJnrG3Mt=103s

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

so hmm how do you kill a decent tracer again

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

From my cold, mechanical hand, buddy. The shield lets Sym burn other players cooldowns before you microwave them, it's paramount to her tool kit because she has no way to close gaps, she needs something that lets her engage/disengage the way the shield does.

It also gives you enough time to easily take down turrets and particularly slow Bastions if you use it right.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

frajaq posted:

Being a decent Roadhog and just baiting the rewind before hooking from close range?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

frajaq posted:

Play a decent McCree and pretend to give a gently caress when she dives y'alls backline.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wiiinston.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Felt bad for this Mercy I played against today on Nepal. On the Sanctuary map I killed the Mercy and went back around as Pharah and hung out out of view of their spawn, got her on the way back. I only ended up with about 15 elims, but 13 were final blows and 11 were on that Mercy because nobody came back to help her or ever decided to group up. She went two rounds without using Valk.

I felt like an intelligence agent (with a jet pack/rocket launcher combo) that gets no glory but saved everybody’s rear end while the fuckers with the guns get all the medals.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Santheb posted:

Felt bad for this Mercy I played against today on Nepal. On the Sanctuary map I killed the Mercy and went back around as Pharah and hung out out of view of their spawn, got her on the way back. I only ended up with about 15 elims, but 13 were final blows and 11 were on that Mercy because nobody came back to help her or ever decided to group up. She went two rounds without using Valk.

I felt like an intelligence agent (with a jet pack/rocket launcher combo) that gets no glory but saved everybody’s rear end while the fuckers with the guns get all the medals.

Mercy kills should be a card, yes :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

frajaq posted:

Shoot her in the head.

Honestly tracer might be a little overtuned, but the way to handle a good tracer is to just pressure the tracer all the time. Make her waste blinks, etc.

My roadhog apparently annoys the hell out of tracers because I fake out hooks and I can one shot them pretty regularly, so they waste blinks in rapid succession and then they have to leave for 10 seconds or so, which is enough time for me to murder someone else and then pressure them again.