Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Nina posted:

That made me remember there are three identical looking characters in the show and I can’t figure out what the idea behind that was at all. I didn’t even realize Kukun died until someone told me hey these are totally unrelated people. How sad

That's some serious hairstyle racism :colbert:

I know what you mean, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I was so convinced Koda was just demon Kukun for way too long

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

How is Miko a lesbian when she went on a date and had feelings for the rapper guy and then hosed that skeezy dude? Are you using a different definition of lesbian?

Seen a few lesbians online chatting about how her behaviour fits with their own when they were in the closet - for instance, their take is that fantasising about being Miki during sex was the most socially-acceptable way for her to wrap her brain around the fact that she simply wanted to see Miki having sex (ideally with her). There’s also the general framing of all her relationships with men as destructive and unfulfilling (it’s implied that she ate the rapper dude) and her only relationship with a woman as wholesome, romantic, and redemptive.

Like, she could well be bi, but there’s also a coherent interpretation that she’s simply gay and clueless. Kind of like a (more positively-portrayed) Griffith from Berserk, whose voluntary sexual encounters with women seem to loop around suspiciously often to his suppressed feelings for the hero, Guts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pener when a thread full of real-life lesbians and gay men and transpeople tells you you're being a piece of poo poo about gender and sexuality, maybe you should take their word for it and reevaulate your own behavior, especially when the crux of your argument is how much you care about the feelings of lesbians and gay men and transpeople, as opposed to your actual lived experiences. alternatively, you could just gently caress off. nobody wants your condescending gender essentialism. literally nobody. not a single person has ever agreed with you or will ever agree you.

Darth Walrus posted:

Seen a few lesbians online chatting about how her behaviour fits with their own when they were in the closet - for instance, their take is that fantasising about being Miki during sex was the most socially-acceptable way for her to wrap her brain around the fact that she simply wanted to see Miki having sex (ideally with her). There’s also the general framing of all her relationships with men as destructive and unfulfilling (it’s implied that she ate the rapper dude) and her only relationship with a woman as wholesome, romantic, and redemptive.

also yeah, this. people have this weird image of gold star lesbianism or smth but sexuality is insanely complicated and the way miko's behavior works out is pretty consistent with a person exploring their own sexuality. obvs. she could just be bi but it'd be weird for the take to be her being bi when so much of her relationships with men are framed as being damaging to both her and the people around her.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Terper posted:

As a straight white man, this show made me go nagay

I don't want to just emptyquote this.

But I'm emptyquoting this.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Darth Walrus posted:

Like, she could well be bi, but there’s also a coherent interpretation that she’s simply gay and clueless. Kind of like a (more positively-portrayed) Griffith from Berserk, whose voluntary sexual encounters with women seem to loop around suspiciously often to his suppressed feelings for the hero, Guts.

I brought up this possibility earlier, but I'm not close to that many non-bi gay girls so I wasn't sure how much it resonated with them. It was easier for me to assume bi without that frame of reference on hand.

btw are said conversations on twitter or something where i can see them? not doubting you, just interested to see them for myself.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xinder posted:

I brought up this possibility earlier, but I'm not close to that many non-bi gay girls so I wasn't sure how much it resonated with them. It was easier for me to assume bi without that frame of reference on hand.

btw are said conversations on twitter or something where i can see them? not doubting you, just interested to see them for myself.

On Twitter, yeah, but since it’s been a while, and the site is hideous to navigate, I’d have a tough time trancing it down.

That said, Endorph did literally chat about it just above you.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Darth Walrus posted:

On Twitter, yeah, but since it’s been a while, and the site is hideous to navigate, I’d have a tough time trancing it down.

That said, Endorph did literally chat about it just above you.

Yeah, I only asked because I enjoy reading people talk about a show in a way I hadn't considered before. Don't stress yourself trying to find it on my account or anything.

e: I'm not discounting Endorph either. That's just one post saying a thing, not a whole conversation between multiple people which is likely to be more in depth and interesting to ingest as an outsider in this specific instance.

Xinder fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 28, 2018

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Just finished my rewatch and drat episode 9 hit a lot harder this time. Love that closing song, too. I made my GF watch it, now she's suitably depressed :good:

I love all the stupid Devilman memes, and great art that's out there!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

lmao

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

even as a gay dude, how Miko's lesbianism was expressed in those sexual fantasies and destructive relationships was intensely relatable and honestly dug up a lot of my coming out experience i hadn't really thought about in a while, or ever thought i would see represented

miko is the best character, and also a lesbian

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I loved every time Ryo spoke English

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
smdh if you post art without a source

(good art tho)

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I'll save your rear end this one time and post the artist twitter at least https://twitter.com/leglegleng

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

A lot of the fan art is based around the OVAs, and many people decry Crybaby Roy's lack of sideburns. It warms my heart.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

smdh if you post art without a source

(good art tho)

you can find the source if you hit 'view image' because the pixiv id is in it, and if you use image search engines like iqdb/saucenao you'll also arrive there

galaxy brain: if you ever see 'master1200' in a filename it marks it as actually a downsized version of the original image (you have to click the 'expand' button in the image-set viewer on pixiv to get the original). beware of image samples if you are ever collecting 500 fanarts of a character

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Space Flower posted:

you can find the source if you hit 'view image' because the pixiv id is in it, and if you use image search engines like iqdb/saucenao you'll also arrive there

galaxy brain: if you ever see 'master1200' in a filename it marks it as actually a downsized version of the original image (you have to click the 'expand' button in the image-set viewer on pixiv to get the original). beware of image samples if you are ever collecting 500 fanarts of a character

:yeah:

Learning the mysterious pixiv glyphs will make your anime fanart finding life much easier

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/emkonishi/status/955545607275458560
https://twitter.com/mmmagnolia/status/952184390133587969

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

All of my favorite Devilmen come over to my house for a HUGE party

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

my favorite devilman is baron ashura

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

drat.

Looking at the hash tag, too many people are drawing Mido without her huge honkers. Shameful.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/Etherelle/status/956002147971158016

I feel weird about posting people's cosplays cause people can be lovely about it, but god people cosplaying Miko or Psycho Jenny's human form are absolutely blessed

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Can I just say how much in ruled, in retrospect, that the folks roasting PK last night seemed to almost all be either trans people or in romantic relationships with trans people? Started from the bottom now the whole team fuckin' here

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Bringing people together was the real devil power all along

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm just amazed Go Nagai made the best anime of 2018 all the way back in the late 70s. Its also cool that LGBT folk got a kick rear end series to express themselves with.

Kind of mad they didn't keep rocking side burns these days though. I've always wanted to pull 70-80s anime side burns off.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

i mean

it's only 1 month in 2018, there's a lot of shows coming up

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Are all anime threads this bad or is this an especially bad one

I don't care about whether Miko and Miki just had friendship love or the beginnings of lovey love. They both died horrifically after finally and very briefly opening up to each other, either way.
She had the bad loving demon-draw of turning into a spider instead of something with wings and got owned for it.

She also lost Kukun and watched him die horrifically, after finally starting to open up to him too.

Miko was a very lonely girl who had very bad luck, right up until she too, died horrifically.

Devilman Crybaby

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

no theres just 1 or 2 shows each season that get threads like this

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

this thread was pretty good until someone said "miko is only platonically interested in miki" imo

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
oh no opinions lets derail the thread forever

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

like a cigarette should posted:

I don't care about whether Miko and Miki just had friendship love or the beginnings of lovey love. They both died horrifically after finally and very briefly opening up to each other, either way.
She had the bad loving demon-draw of turning into a spider instead of something with wings and got owned for it.

She also lost Kukun and watched him die horrifically, after finally starting to open up to him too.

Miko was a very lonely girl who had very bad luck, right up until she too, died horrifically.

Devilman Crybaby

Literally everyone died horrifically, though. Miko and Miki were just utter badasses while doing so.

Devilman reminds me of Halberstam's The Queer Art of Failure, in which she basically argues that being queer inevitably fails because it's not productive in a capitalist sense. There is no way to win, so you might as well make failing an art form: "If at first you don’t succeed, failure may be your style." Everyone including Ryo and Akira fail gloriously, and they almost manage to turn things around. I think there is even some optimism in the loop indicated by the final moments of the show. They're just gonna fail over and over, until Ryo picks up that goddamn baton.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm glad Ryo got owned by God

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm glad Ryo got owned by God

It's really funny that god briefly interferes to screw over Ryo's plan, and then just lets things play out for the rest of the show. What's His deal, anyway?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

A friend of mine interpreted it as God nuking the demons once as a warning, looking elsewhere for five minutes and then going "OH FOR gently caress'S SAKE, WE'RE STARTING OVER AGAIN" when he comes back and sees the mess that ryo made. I find the mental image amusing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

And More posted:

It's really funny that god briefly interferes to screw over Ryo's plan, and then just lets things play out for the rest of the show. What's His deal, anyway?

In the manga the time-loops are God eternally punishing Satan for their betrayal.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

And More posted:

Because they're playing out the events of revelation

God always sticks to the plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

like a cigarette should posted:

Devilman Crybaby

I care op

• Locked thread