Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

mycophobia posted:

the snes classic is neat and playing games in whatever manner you wish is a-ok by me. but I don't like when some insufferably smug noob implies that the classic systems are the clear non-"spergy" alternative to something as trivial as setting up a softmodded wii.

there is nobody and I mean nobody more autistic than me when it comes to ~authenticity~ and back in like 2008 I used my CRT tv and did some tests and I absolutely could not see even a hint of a difference between a real NES and the Wii VC. they loving aced it. I noticed differences in every other format (hacked XBox 1, no matter how hard I tried with filter and screen settings). Every other solution always looked off. it's indistinguishable on the wii.

unrelated but it still blows my mind that hackers figured out how to get a USB hard drive working in gamecube mode on the Wii and WiiU. the system literally turns off the USB ports when entering gamecube mode. hackers were saying for YEARS that a gamecube hard drive would never be possible.

if you really wanna see some incredible ~authentic~ NES and SNES, mod an N3DS XL and put on an NES emulator that lets you use "pixel perfect" mode (for some reason the VC releases do not have this option). the SNES VC does have the option though, so you can play those, or use an SNES emulator (they run at 60 FPS even with super mario RPG by the way). the N3ds xl having a large top screen with a resolution that is literally perfect for 240p material is something like I have never seen. everything looks as good as if you were playing in RGB on a Sony PVM, except with zero scanlines and no filters. I really can't explain in words how good it looks.

you know how good SNES games look when you see them like this?

so imagine that, except on a nice large screen. (it's even better an IPS n3ds xl because you don't see outline blurring when sprites move)

sorry about my autism

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NES/SNES isn't perfect even in 1:1 pixel mode, the 3DS LCD pixels are perfectly square whereas authentic NES/SNES pixels on CRT are slightly stretched and you can't properly replicate the actual shape of the pixels via emulation without resolutions above 720p

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NES/SNES isn't perfect even in 1:1 pixel mode, the 3DS LCD pixels are perfectly square whereas authentic NES/SNES pixels on CRT are slightly stretched and you can't properly replicate the actual shape of the pixels via emulation without resolutions above 720p

as spergy as I am that never bothered me. and as far as I know it would literally be impossible for it to "stretch" on an LCD and have it not look like poo poo.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
also the only filter I've ever liked ever was the one they used in Sonic Mania. it's called a "CRT filter" but it doesn't look like any CRT filter I have ever seen. it kinda looks like it's scanlines in both directions, so it kind of looks like what it would look like if you played on one of those huge LED billboards.

apparently someone figured out the tech behind the filter and "ported" it but I have no idea what that means or how to use it in an emulator

https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=37175 is the link for any goons interested.

folder
Oct 9, 2016

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

sorry about my autism

Don’t feel you need to say stuff like that to defend being passionate about Nintendo. We got you

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
tyvm

don't forget my :spergin: is how I became the person to discover the fix for the SNES' vertical bar issue :)

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I love Nintendo

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bolverkur posted:

I love Nintendo

imagine how sad your life must be if you don't

it would be like saying "I don't like kittens and puppies and rainbows"

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

as spergy as I am that never bothered me. and as far as I know it would literally be impossible for it to "stretch" on an LCD and have it not look like poo poo.

you can do it, just not on tiny low-res screens like the 3DS screen. 1:1 is as good as it'll get on that screen

some commercial emulation-based packages like Megaman Legacy Collection do it, NES & SNES Classic both do it but not super well due to the 720p resolution cap, etc. the general scaling ratio for approximating NES/SNES pixels is around 8:7, ie very slight horizontal stretching, and if you do it at a high res it's pretty convincing

many games were originally drawn and/or altered to counter the aspect ratio change on real hardware, others weren't. it's nice to have options

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

you can do it, just not on tiny low-res screens like the 3DS screen. 1:1 is as good as it'll get on that screen

some commercial emulation-based packages like Megaman Legacy Collection do it, NES & SNES Classic both do it but not super well due to the 720p resolution cap, etc. the general scaling ratio for approximating NES/SNES pixels is around 8:7, ie very slight horizontal stretching, and if you do it at a high res it's pretty convincing

many games were originally drawn and/or altered to counter the aspect ratio change on real hardware, others weren't. it's nice to have options

oh yeah, SNES VC did look pretty drat good on the Wii U (except for the color dimming)

I guess my argument is SNES and NES will never look so good on a portable device as it does on the n3ds xl. unless some android entrepreneur makes a portable device with a large, low-res screen (WHY NOT DONE?)

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i really want to upgrade to a new 3DS just to buy and play SNES games on a new Nintendo platform. preferably this version:

its just so god drat beautiful

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Sick

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it kinda looks like it's scanlines in both directions, so it kind of looks like what it would look like if you played on one of those huge LED billboards.

i haven't played it but it sounds like an aperture grille effect

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I lose my drat mind if the aspect ratio isn't right. I'm hype to finally have space for a CRT and not have to choose between looking like fuzzy poo poo or having circles that look like ovals.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

oddium posted:

i haven't played it but it sounds like an aperture grille effect

Yeah it's like that but without any of the fake "curving" and phosphor scrolling line nonsense

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

P-Mack posted:

I lose my drat mind if the aspect ratio isn't right.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lmao

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Gah!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
what every PSP port looked like

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

what every PSP port looked like

The SOTN port in Dracula X Chronicles on PSP looks way better actually since they put a border around it

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

this is violence

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pablo Gigante posted:

The SOTN port in Dracula X Chronicles on PSP looks way better actually since they put a border around it

drat...wish that was me

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Gigante posted:

nah I was jk

I wanna meet the person that used "wide screen" mode for GB games on the GBA

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

nah I was jk

I wanna meet the person that used "wide screen" mode for GB games on the GBA

sometimes when i played gameboy pokemon games i'd do widescreen when walking left and right because it looked like the character was walking faster

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

You could mess with the color palette when playing gb games on the gba right? Or am i thinking of something else

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rock My Socks! posted:

You could mess with the color palette when playing gb games on the gba right? Or am i thinking of something else

Yeah by holding different combinations of directions and A or B when you turned it on you could change the palette. Same with GBC

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Rock My Socks! posted:

Yeah as said it's the same as gbc

One pretty interesting thing is there are a ton of color Nintendo programmed but never bothered giving you the option to use

https://tcrf.net/Game_Boy_Color_Bootstrap_ROM

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Nintendo should leave the console industry, people want 4k and Nintendo isn't gi-

https://twitter.com/DrCullenPHD/status/953639289962758144

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

6 (9)

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Nintendo should leave the console industry, people want 4k and Nintendo isn't gi-

https://twitter.com/DrCullenPHD/status/953639289962758144

lol

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

(N)ice

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

4k and hdr are definitely scams like 3d tvs were

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

mysterious loyall X posted:

They're both cool but for gaming they're completely pointless.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Cobalt Viper posted:

They're both cool but for gaming they're completely pointless.

yeah i don't care if i'm getting Real Black instead of Fake LCD Black i'm not watching some old crap like citizen cane or the 3rd man or whatever...i'm doing something better! by experiencing the latest epic entry into the infamous series: infamous:renegade, a true work of art. power to the players

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

yeah, cable TV still doesn't do 1080p yet ffs lol

people don't buy blu rays any more, the ps4 pro doesn't even loving do 4k blu rays, 98% of games can barely do 1080p without being upscaled

it's a total sham. a 1080p OLED is the proest goddamn tier TV you can buy. i mean I guess buy a 4k if you wanna but i don't think 1080p stuff looking shittier is worth it

then you gotta love Samsung trying to confuse the market with QLED which is another scam

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

yeah i don't care if i'm getting Real Black instead of Fake LCD Black i'm not watching some old crap like citizen cane or the 3rd man or whatever...i'm doing something better! by experiencing the latest epic entry into the infamous series: infamous:renegade, a true work of art. power to the players

Codex Entry Unlocked: Rosebud

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

im glad for this scam since normal 1080p tv prices are plummeting and if i really strain my eyes i can just barely tell the difference

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

extremebuff posted:

im glad for this scam since normal 1080p tv prices are plummeting and if i really strain my eyes i can just barely tell the difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009