Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Instead of spider tank we should get obsolete Voltron. Combine a bunch of burner equipment and furnaces into a giant mech that eats coal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Alkydere posted:

Seriously, just a recourse for burner drills besides "stick in chest, shoot chest"

Build and place a dozen storage chests, put the burner drills in a character trash slot, wait for a robot to spirit them away, out of sight, out of mind.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Speaking of copy/paste, that's actually a good pro tip for the new players in the thread. Hold shift and right click on a building to copy its settings and shift left click on another building to paste. You can use this for pretty much anything: assemblers, trains, inserters, chests, all of it. Once you get a logistics system you can copy an assembler and paste it to a requester chest and it will automatically set the chest to order the right components that the assembler needs, it's basically a magic button and I love it.

You can also shift left click when building to place a blueprint ghost copy of whatever you're building anywhere onscreen, which is great when you have bots since you don't have to run around so much. Even before that, you can use it to visualize layouts if you don't have a blueprint handy and then just fill it in yourself.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Gadzuko posted:

Speaking of copy/paste, that's actually a good pro tip for the new players in the thread. Hold shift and right click on a building to copy its settings and shift left click on another building to paste. You can use this for pretty much anything: assemblers, trains, inserters, chests, all of it. Once you get a logistics system you can copy an assembler and paste it to a requester chest and it will automatically set the chest to order the right components that the assembler needs, it's basically a magic button and I love it.

You can also shift left click when building to place a blueprint ghost copy of whatever you're building anywhere onscreen, which is great when you have bots since you don't have to run around so much. Even before that, you can use it to visualize layouts if you don't have a blueprint handy and then just fill it in yourself.

Even better, you can place multiple ghosts even if you only have one of the item, and you can place them from map view ("m") if you have radars set up. You can plan out how many things you need before you actually build them, which is handy.

Shift Left Click to place a ghost, right click to erase them.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Hell, you can place ghosts inside your personal roboport range, much further than your actual place range is, and your bots will do the needful.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The past few updates have really tanked my performance, sounds like they fixed some bugs with biters that was causing them to not seek out paths, now I'm surrounded by packs of biters that aren't going anywhere and only 20 UPS.
E: /c game.forces["enemy"].kill_all_units() has saved my bacon and my performance.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 27, 2018

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Hell, you can place ghosts inside your personal roboport range, much further than your actual place range is, and your bots will do the needful.

Except if they take your last item you can't place ghosts anymore.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Speaking of ghosts, I noticed that when placing the chest parts onto my favorite mall blueprint manually, the chest limits are preserved.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

necrotic posted:

Except if they take your last item you can't place ghosts anymore.

Weren't they going to make the toolbelt just a link to the inventory, so you could still place ghosts without having to have anything in your inventory?

Fake edit: Yeah, FFF 191.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Foehammer posted:

When I reverted it back, I forgot to check the limit, and now we have >1k express undergrounds... about 260,000 iron's worth :ohdear:

Whenever you accidentally make way too much of something, embrace the possibility to abuse it. In this case it's obvious, just make a long wide bus entirely made of undergrounds (only using normal belts in the corners). Some things might be trickier to find a use for, like a chest full of steel axes.

My base just ground to a complete halt when my kovarex enrichment thingies used up all the U-238, leaving none for making fuel cells, and requiring some shenanigans to get it up and running (taking some leftover U-238 out of kovarex centrifuges and solar-powering an assembler to slowly make fuel to hand-feed reactors). Happened very shortly after I disassembled almost all boilers, just had a couple left to get rid of surplus wood and power poles.

The good thing is I now have a 11k U-235 to spend, should maybe convert all my trains to nuclear... Also moved some centrifuges from kovarexing to regular ore processing and set up some safety buffers and an alarm that goes off if there's not enough fuel cells stockpiled.

Regarding that: Apart from the tiny tiny uranium ore patch I had in the starting area, I have never seen a single patch outside of that. I actually cheated one in (sufficiently far away to make it logistically interesting), since the whole point of restarting this map was to try out nuclear things as I haven't played it since 0.14. I've since launched 160-ish rockets and have an empire large enough that train rides across it are really boring, but still haven't seen any green stuff laying around. How stupidly rare are uranium ore patches really? I think I'm using RSO (I used to, and I think that mod upgraded successfully), but haven't fiddled with its settings from default.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ionn posted:

Regarding that: Apart from the tiny tiny uranium ore patch I had in the starting area, I have never seen a single patch outside of that. I actually cheated one in (sufficiently far away to make it logistically interesting), since the whole point of restarting this map was to try out nuclear things as I haven't played it since 0.14. I've since launched 160-ish rockets and have an empire large enough that train rides across it are really boring, but still haven't seen any green stuff laying around. How stupidly rare are uranium ore patches really? I think I'm using RSO (I used to, and I think that mod upgraded successfully), but haven't fiddled with its settings from default.

That's pretty unusual. I have plenty of uranium patches on my current RSO map. Are you spamming radars to explore the map? I have the advanced radar mod, which is a big help with RSO with its increased range (and power consumption.)

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

That's pretty unusual. I have plenty of uranium patches on my current RSO map. Are you spamming radars to explore the map? I have the advanced radar mod, which is a big help with RSO with its increased range (and power consumption.)

Only got stock radars, dotted out around the edges if the railway network, but also done a fair bit of exploring around. Seen nothing. Since it lights up green on the minimap, I doubt I would miss it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ionn posted:

Only got stock radars, dotted out around the edges if the railway network, but also done a fair bit of exploring around. Seen nothing. Since it lights up green on the minimap, I doubt I would miss it.

That's really unusual. Did you screw with the resource generation any? Are you using an old map from 0.14?

For reference, here's a part of a map I generated for 0.16:

I see 9 patches of uranium just on this one little part of the map.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
It really depends on your RSO settings. My current map generated with four or five minutes train ride between “adjacent” patches and with uranium being a rare spawn that means that it shows up even rarer.

RSO can make for some odd maps

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
It took me 4 or 5 failed starts with RSO to realize that I needed to leave the map generation settings on Normal instead of Railworld or RSO would basically refuse to spawn things. I think it multiplies it's own internal settings by whatever you set, so if you set Uranium to be rarer on the map screen, it can round down to almost zero. I had a lovely couple of tries at Bob's playthroughs that basically became Jackson Pollack paintings outside of the starting area except they didn't have any iron/copper/coal/uranium/oil because the Railworld settings template makes those less common than Normal.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I've stopped using un-modded Factorio for just that reason since I've gotten all the achievements I'm likely to get anyways. It seems that the default vanilla resource generation keeps loving up on ore generation for me. Usually you'll have one resource that spawns in fine and then the rest will be utterly hosed: showing up rarely and when it does it will show up in tiny, thin, weedy patches. I had a map where I had iron all over the place, patches outside of my initial spawn set started at 5M and went up for there. Meanwhile I had maybe half the number of copper deposits and the largest was 1.4M.

Something seems hosed up in regards to cliffs too. A lot of times it just won't spawn any besides a couple in your starting zone.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

RSO is the one true way to play Factorio. :colbert:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

RSO is the one true way to play Factorio. :colbert:

It really is. I should have said what mod I was using.

Also Angels ore processing with a dash of Bob's to give at least some of the ores/metals some use (but no loving Bob's Electronics. Down that way lies pain and madness)

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Speaking of nuclear trains...

I only have two centerfuges running to feed a single steel chest, since they have a stack size of one. It feeds four double headed four-part trains running constantly really comfortably.

I can't wait to scale it up. :getin:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm doing a marathon game for the first time, and the biters are starting to get really, really nasty. I'm barely staying one step ahead of them. Because big biters have 8 armor, I was doing one damage to them initially and even with a few levels of research in turrets and bullet damage, I'm still only barely hanging on with my normal tiled defense of an assembler and a box of iron surrounded by 10 turrets at the attack points. I'm doing circuits in my tank clearing biter bases within the pollution but they're replacing them almost faster than I can destroy them. I'm also on RSO settings and don't have nuclear power yet so my power grid can't support upgrading to laser turrets, and my minerals are going to run low before too long.

Right now I'm in a holding action, getting level 1 efficiency modules into all my miners in the hopes of reducing my pollution cloud enough for me to finish the 4000(!!) research nuclear power takes.

On the upside, I tried these two setups from the factorio cheat sheet that I'd never seen before. I'm never making a smelting area again until I get beaconed moduled electric furnaces. Smelting on-patch for midgame is A++, would smelt again:

iron/copper:

steel:

I'm also making green circuits in a sub base/ suitable patch with iron+copper+coal, and that's pretty much mandatory in marathon because of the huge space and material requirements (5:1 copper:green circuit assembler)

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 27, 2018

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Did you screw with the resource generation any? Are you using an old map from 0.14?

I don't think I did anything to screw up. It's with RSO, but it is all on default settings. Generated the map on whatever 0.15 version was the current one mid-december, now playing on 0.16, and there hasn't been any uranium in areas explored before or after I upgraded. May have hit some kind of map generation issue, may just be perpetual self-reinforcing bad luck.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

ionn posted:

I don't think I did anything to screw up. It's with RSO, but it is all on default settings. Generated the map on whatever 0.15 version was the current one mid-december, now playing on 0.16, and there hasn't been any uranium in areas explored before or after I upgraded. May have hit some kind of map generation issue, may just be perpetual self-reinforcing bad luck.

This is anecdotal but I had similar issues (little/no additional ore patches despite a bunch of exploring) with RSO ore generation in 0.15. I dropped it until I started playing 0.16.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
RSO rail world is basically the only way I play ever since they expanded out the map gen stuff, both .15 and .16. Would not recommend without some kind of fancy radar mod, though.

My last SP save had me traveling a good two minutes' train ride just to find my first coal expansion. I've just come to expect that. I may enjoy the fantasy of giant cross country rail lines a bit too much for my own good.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man, getting a solid perimeter wall up and suddenly biters no longer being an issue is fantastic. :feelsgood:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

explosivo posted:

Man, getting a solid perimeter wall up and suddenly biters no longer being an issue is fantastic. :feelsgood:

:smugdon:

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Is there anything to use wood for in the late game? I'm open to stupid things.

Right now I've got a bunch of requester chests that I nuke occasionally. Keeps my logistics network clear of wood.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

yoloer420 posted:

Is there anything to use wood for in the late game? I'm open to stupid things.

Right now I've got a bunch of requester chests that I nuke occasionally. Keeps my logistics network clear of wood.

Have a fuckton of boilers to burn the wood, and ship the steam to remote outposts to power them off-grid

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

If you want vaguely useful: set up a coal liquefaction plant, and power the boilers for the steam using wood.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tesla was right posted:

Have a fuckton of boilers to burn the wood, and ship the steam to remote outposts to power them off-grid

This is probably the best use, I'd imagine. Actually, someone remind me, is there a difference between the steam produced in a heat exchanger and the steam from a boiler? Because if not, then burning all your wood to jump start some higher tier turbines sounds like a pretty solid investment.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

neogeo0823 posted:

This is probably the best use, I'd imagine. Actually, someone remind me, is there a difference between the steam produced in a heat exchanger and the steam from a boiler? Because if not, then burning all your wood to jump start some higher tier turbines sounds like a pretty solid investment.

The amount of energy that is produced from steam is based on its temperature, so the higher tier turbines won't actually make any more energy from boiler steam than the lower tier steam engine. The only difference between turbine and engine is that the turbine can handle the 500 degree steam from a reactor.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

Basically normal boilers won't burn nuclear/high temp steam any more efficiently. So if you plug a boiler into a high-temp steam network they'll burn the steam at the same rate they would normal steam, but only produce their 9K power which wastes a good deal of energy (though if you're having trouble affording turbines it's a good way to kickstart nuclear power).

Likewise low temperature steam won't push turbines to full power. They'll consume enough steam and produce enough power that they basically act as 2 steam engines in the space of one but you'll never hit peak turbine output. So if you have the raw resources/desire to save space you can start using them to make more compact coal-fired power plants.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
That is a hilariously expensive method of saving space.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Toadsmash posted:

That is a hilariously expensive method of saving space.

If you're doing a small/limited map challenge it might be worth it. Otherwise...yeah I agree since you have infinite space.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bhodi posted:

I'm doing a marathon game for the first time, and the biters are starting to get really, really nasty. I'm barely staying one step ahead of them. Because big biters have 8 armor, I was doing one damage to them initially and even with a few levels of research in turrets and bullet damage, I'm still only barely hanging on with my normal tiled defense of an assembler and a box of iron surrounded by 10 turrets at the attack points. I'm doing circuits in my tank clearing biter bases within the pollution but they're replacing them almost faster than I can destroy them. I'm also on RSO settings and don't have nuclear power yet so my power grid can't support upgrading to laser turrets, and my minerals are going to run low before too long.

Right now I'm in a holding action, getting level 1 efficiency modules into all my miners in the hopes of reducing my pollution cloud enough for me to finish the 4000(!!) research nuclear power takes.

On the upside, I tried these two setups from the factorio cheat sheet that I'd never seen before. I'm never making a smelting area again until I get beaconed moduled electric furnaces. Smelting on-patch for midgame is A++, would smelt again:

iron/copper:

steel:

I'm also making green circuits in a sub base/ suitable patch with iron+copper+coal, and that's pretty much mandatory in marathon because of the huge space and material requirements (5:1 copper:green circuit assembler)

When you tile them up, they don't "miss" any squares of ore, right?

If you wanted to output the smelted product on a blue belt, instead of red, you could, right?

Could you show me a picture of these in your game, all tiled up nice?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
It wouldn't miss any squares but it does have less throughput since you aren't going to fit as many miners on the patch. You also have to either belt or train coal out to every outpost. It requires more infrastructure for less overall production. Am I missing some obvious benefit? I don't get it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

the benefit is not having huge smelting farms...

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Steakandchips posted:

the benefit is not having huge smelting farms...

Space is infinite in factorio. If you are having problems with space, turn the drat water down.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Steakandchips posted:

When you tile them up, they don't "miss" any squares of ore, right?

If you wanted to output the smelted product on a blue belt, instead of red, you could, right?

Could you show me a picture of these in your game, all tiled up nice?
yes to both.

There isn't a ton to see, but

I like it because I don't want to deal with smelting farms until I'm going to beacon them up. Space may be infinite but it's not when you have to fight biters for every square inch, plus all that running around is obnoxious - smelting farms can be half your entire base in the mid game. Plus, if you're outsourcing your chip production you can do it near the patch itself. It has less throughput but lasts the same amount of time, so just put down multiples?

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 28, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I like that design a lot - it removes the bottleneck of ore logistics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Gadzuko posted:

It wouldn't miss any squares but it does have less throughput since you aren't going to fit as many miners on the patch. You also have to either belt or train coal out to every outpost. It requires more infrastructure for less overall production. Am I missing some obvious benefit? I don't get it.

You do it in your starting area where all the resources are near each other to get your factory going before you go for big optimized smelting setups. I'm gonna have to crib that