Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Mary Annette posted:

Just that, "communication" in katakana.

Interesting. That probably means the thematic signficance of the term's etymology is deliberate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!
New chapter! Only death can (and will) stop us from catching up!

https://mangadex.com/chapter/9485/1

Mary Annette posted:

Just that, "communication" in katakana.

No, this is wrong. The title of the chapter 137 is 呼応 (koou), which can mean a bunch of different things. It can mean something like "call and respond," or it can also mean like "colluding" or "working together."
We decided to go with communication because it could work in multiple contexts, although some of those contexts make more sense in chapter 138 than they would in 137. Also, they do use the katakana word for "communication" on the title page, but it's just a tagline saying that hunting is a way of communication between father and daughter.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
:magical:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
We Are Missing Brains Bits Buddies made me choke on my rice.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Missing Brain Bits Buddies :allears:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
IMMORTAL

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's nice that the rest of the series is Sugimoto's dying dream about how he implausibly managed to survive so that he could try to rescue Asirpa.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Another good chapter! Sugimoto's recovery wasn't too surprising, but I would be shocked if Inkarmat actually pulled through. I suspect Sugimoto will be dying, but not in the immediate future. Either way, I'm really excited to see how things play out in the wake of recent events.

Also, "Missing brain bits buddies" was indeed great. Tsurumi really is a fun character.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
This manga is great. Thanks for the translations!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Fire Barrel posted:

I suspect Sugimoto will be dying, but not in the immediate future.

Sugimoto is dead.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Who does the manga reader chrome plugin thing that lets me scroll down and if they're on sa can they add manga Dex tia

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I'm not sure if that would work with mangadex? They seem to be using that preloading plugin-type thingy that many scanlators have undependently, does that long form plugin work with those?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Works on Kissmanga and jaiminisbox

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I promised a lot of text so here it is and you can skip it all since I'm just noodling :laugh:

The past three chapters have been an absolutely hilarious exercise in how dangerous it can be for fandoms that are English-speaking to read manga raws and extrapolate a lot from it either by not translating at all or by running panels through google translate, which they've been doing and making sweeping and slightly ill-informed judgments as a result. I look at raws so I'm guilty of that poo poo myself but I generally look at them & think "since I have no idea what is being said, I'm not going to try and dwell much on it and wait for scanlations to catch up before getting too far out there with a theory."

Essentially, what Noda does so well with plotting is that characters certainly do tend to behave in ways he's carefully established, but a lot of things are never quite exactly what they seem.

Kiro and Ogata have long been established as men working for themselves (or Kiro, for his family) first; Ogata in particular is obviously set up to be a person who doesn't like the idea that he's supposed to think/feel/behave in any way merely because that's how it 'works,' which is why he doesn't give a poo poo about killing his family and doesn't feel allegiance towards anyone, really, other than himself - though there's a tiny, weird exception forming. He's not willing to shift the foundation of his plans entirely for her, but there's obviously some sort of if not respect then perhaps just something approaching empathy for Asirpa that he feels; deep down, he probably thinks he did her a favor by killing off her 'dad(s)' though of course most of his motivation is most likely to be simply "gently caress sugimoto and gently caress noppera-bou, they'll keep me from getting what I want."

The entire reason the anglerfish nabe backstory is introduced when it is is because Noda wanted to underline that very unhealthy kind of respect for Asirpa; so while sure, yeah, his betrayal of the group is upsetting, he hasn't betrayed Asirpa as completely in his own mind. All of that was pretty much a hunch that I couldn't confirm til actually seeing this chapter and the way Ogata looks at/talks to Asirpa. Could well be that I'm reading too much into it but I'm not so sure. Maybe he thinks he has to pretend to be nice to her, too, or even make her think that HE thinks exactly what I typed already to keep her in line til they get the gold; that's a possibility, but it doesn't seem like it's in keeping with what's being established.

He's a soulless bastard, but I think he sees her as a kindred spirit. It's sad.

The way everything is being set up now definitely leaves room for the possibility that things are more complicated than they seem, but better to just figure that they're not and wait to be proven otherwise. But the reason I mentioned the raws leading to a problem thing is that no one was talking about the conversation between sugitmoto and noppera-bou before - because they couldn't understand most of it - so that already left out a major puzzle piece. The discussion for a while was basically "oh my god Ogata is a piece of poo poo how dare he do all of that to Asirpa [he's going to kill her too soon]" and of course, I can cosign most of that except the Asirpa part. We also now see noppera-bou for who he truly was, too.

I'm still kinda betting on the fact that Ogata goes out trying to protect her in some way, either in a way that actually does protect her or in an Ogata-ish 'I'm so massively hosed up and horrible that I think I'm helping her just like I think murdering her dad somehow helps her' way, but likely the former.

golden kamuy is good

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Jose posted:

Works on Kissmanga and jaiminisbox

Hm, if it works on jaiminisbox it might be fine!

But also kissmanga just has an option to do that.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ogata "Patricide" Hyakunosuke.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So does anybody else besides me think that...

Inkarmat stabbed herself?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

trucutru posted:

That's what I thought first.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

trucutru posted:

I'm wondering as well because there's just something weird about it but we'll see.

GlenQuagmire
Jan 1, 2005

Pizza Time!
And off we go! (Ch. 139)
https://mangadex.com/chapter/12695/1

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Did he... :stare:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Negrostrike posted:

That's what I thought first.

Well. It ended up being a 50-50

Anyways, this manga is so loving great. Normally when an author uses the "someone is a traitor" setup, you don't expect a full half of the group to be some sort of traitor. Sugimoto should learn from his new mbb-buddy how to endear people.

Of loving course, with some soy sauce and ginger (wasabi too, probably).

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 25, 2018

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Really liked the reveals of this newest chapter. Shame that Tsurumi won't be with Sugimoto and the gang, but I'm definitely looking forward to see how this all plays out! This comic is really good and I hope the show manages to be a good adaptation of it.

trucutru posted:

I initially was thinking this would be a possibility too.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'd like sugimoto and asirpa to settle down and live a nice life in an ainu village and shiraishi to run off with the gold

GlenQuagmire
Jan 1, 2005

Pizza Time!
Two more chapters:

Chapter 140
https://mangadex.com/chapter/14874/1

Chapter 141
https://mangadex.com/chapter/14875/1

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
MBB Sugimoto is kind of a jerk, huh

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

How dare anyone criticize Tanigaki's bulk

Keep your hands off his precious boobs you jerks!!!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Tanigaki's sexiness is the best running joke in this manga full of great running jokes.

It's been a while since I laughed as much as with that second picture mistake.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Actually gasped when the wolverine came out. fly you fools

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

How dare anyone criticize Tanigaki's bulk

Keep your hands off his precious boobs you jerks!!!

He’s filling out now that he has a wife and sugimoto is just jealous.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Actually gasped when the wolverine came out. fly you fools

Same, even though I thought it was a badger at first. All mustelids are right bastards that can punch (or scratch and bite, if you will) several dozen weight classes above them. Do not gently caress with them.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Golden-Kamui/Ch-142-The-Village-of-Resident-Russians?id=401497

IT'S TIME FOR SOME BARE-CHESTED BURLY BARAS BRAWLING.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

honestly

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Mikl posted:

Same, even though I thought it was a badger at first. All mustelids are right bastards that can punch (or scratch and bite, if you will) several dozen weight classes above them. Do not gently caress with them.

counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sshZ8B7YQDY

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

That Russian fighting thing reminded me so much of this Vice article:
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8gdaak/russian-fight-club

Those Russians are drat crazy

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

goldenkamuy.jpg

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Two new chapters

Stenka - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Golden-Kamui/Ch-143---Stenka?id=401973
More Stenka - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Golden-Kamui/Ch-144---Clash---Wall-Deathmatch?id=401974

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

The cutaway to the documentary-style interview was amazing.