Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Diabetes Forecast posted:

Honestly, the thing is basically a High Macs from Gungriffon except bad guy. That series isn't very well known, though.
I don't think I ever played One Must Fall. is there an easy way to do that these days?

I'm not planning on using stuff from other games. The intention is to make a totally new game using GZDoom as the base, since y'know the whole GPLv2 thing happened I finally get to make Shogo But Better like I always wanted to. This is already turning out alot easier than I expected it to, which I'm very happy for.

Will it have support for my 100 quid massive Steel Battalion controller?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGgxRsaGdcA

As one of the few hundred people who owns this huge thing, I'd love to see someone actually make a game that can support this monstrosity.

Actually, maybe I can one day play Doom with this thing.

Edit: found some driver for it:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/steel-batallion-64/

GUI posted:

I got all cheevos on the Xbox 360 version of DNF on a bet back in 2012 and it was godawful. 1 minute long loading times, controller aiming with poor sensitivity, terrible muddy graphics. And on the actual achievement front there was an infuriating one for getting a certain amount of points in the pinball machine during the strip club level and the painful difficulty spikes during the turret sections on the hardest difficulty. Also iirc some of the poo poo you had to do for EGO boosts was really random and relied a lot on luck? I could've sworn during the intro you had to win some pool match to get one and it was just hoping the ball physics would work properly.

I've given up on ever trying to get the Ball of Steel achievement. It's a bad pinball game with very janky physics, especially if you run a high end machine.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Remember all the small time DOOM ports?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I remember running Doom on a Palm and it was surprisingly playable. Even played some PWADs on it.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

rip jimmy dot com

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

One more for Kinsie's ever-growing collection: the Switch now plays Doom.

Kinda wonder if the 3DS ever got a stereoscopic Doom port; yeah, sure, the monsters would look like cardboard cut-outs, but at the same time, I kind of wanna see what that'd have looked like. I do recall the 3DS getting at least one homebrew Doom port, but it was 2D-only, which is laaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You can get stereoscopic display with GZDoom now.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yes, but that'd require me to own a monitor that supports that feature, and mine doesn't (supports G-Sync instead); meanwhile, the 3DS has it standard.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Shadow Hog posted:

I do recall the 3DS getting at least one homebrew Doom port, but it was 2D-only, which is laaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

I know of at least three, one of which was mine. It didn't have 3D though, mostly because I was only developing it for about a month before getting bored with the 3DS.

I think an earlier one (the one by elhobbs) did have 3D, but I remember it being a little janky (and the port itself was basically a hacked up version of DSDoom, so it had its own warts because of that, too.)

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Shadow Hog posted:

Kinda wonder if the 3DS ever got a stereoscopic Doom port; yeah, sure, the monsters would look like cardboard cut-outs, but at the same time, I kind of wanna see what that'd have looked like. I do recall the 3DS getting at least one homebrew Doom port, but it was 2D-only, which is laaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

Doom in VR is pretty wild, once you get the movement settings dialed in so they don't make you throw up (as much). Makes me want voxel versions of all of the sprites though, billboarded sprites in VR look kinda broken.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SwissCM posted:

Doom in VR is pretty wild, once you get the movement settings dialed in so they don't make you throw up (as much). Makes me want voxel versions of all of the sprites though, billboarded sprites in VR look kinda broken.
Based on the awesome Sega super-scaler arcade ports, the 3DS might be the ideal platform for Doom in 3D using the original sprites. The low resolution probably hides some of the weirdness that would be really distracting with a VR headset.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's at least one 3DS Doom port with stereoscopic 3D support, I didn't play it much because the 3D cut the framerate and I never got around to checking whether it ran faster on New 3DS.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Will it have support for my 100 quid massive Steel Battalion controller?

As one of the few hundred people who owns this huge thing, I'd love to see someone actually make a game that can support this monstrosity.

...maybe??? I honestly don't know how GZDoom handles controller support, that's not my department.

in other news, walk cycle for the bot is set up now.

6 frames instead of 4 because I can't stand how little motion flow you can get from just 4.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 27, 2018

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

This is a few days old, but I didn't see it posted. The Overload team released an alpha trailer for multiplayer and it looks fun as hell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDwPOry18p8

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah Overload is loving great. Definitely the best Kickstarter I invested in (the others being Wasteland 2 and Barkley 2)

Funny how differently that and Descent Underground turned out.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Follow-up to my previous UT 2004 posts - I managed to fix the weird Windows 10 stuttering issue by using a D3D8 to D3D9 converter, which I just extracted into the UT2004\System directory. Same thing also works with Max Payne.

Just in case anyone else was having the same issue!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Convex posted:

Follow-up to my previous UT 2004 posts - I managed to fix the weird Windows 10 stuttering issue by using a D3D8 to D3D9 converter, which I just extracted into the UT2004\System directory. Same thing also works with Max Payne.

Just in case anyone else was having the same issue!

With the majority of goons here likely running Windows 10, if not now then in the future, this is worthy of being added to the OP, I think.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Probably one of my favourite level themes in any FPS is 'corrupted technology'. Infested techbases, computers with fleshy parts, machinery and human skin welded together, that good poo poo.

What are some of your favourite 'corrupted' levels in FPS's? Or any game, for that matter? It can be fan-made levels or official levels.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ETPC posted:

Probably one of my favourite level themes in any FPS is 'corrupted technology'. Infested techbases, computers with fleshy parts, machinery and human skin welded together, that good poo poo.

What are some of your favourite 'corrupted' levels in FPS's? Or any game, for that matter? It can be fan-made levels or official levels.

I really liked what Fez did with corruption, and also how Portal/Portal 2 handled "pristine testing facility + broken down spaces / natural overgrowth".

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's not fleshy corruption but from 2.0 had some good corrupted levels

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

No End In Sight dot wad for Doom 1 is pretty good at the corrupted tech base shizzle iirc. It's like the original second episode which over the years i've concluded, is pretty weird actually

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

ETPC posted:

The Von Braun from System Shock 2 is probably the most memorable for me.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
That sounds something like the reason I like episode 2 of Doom so much, and the second episode of No End in Sight hits that note for me in a big way (granted, it's usually a little more abstract in the usual Doom-ish way, but it's still good as hell).

I haven't played the third or fourth episode of it yet, but I'm told they definitely go places. Even having played only the front half of it I can definitely recommend it to anyone who wants some good Ultimate Doom megawad action.

e: poo poo i somehow waited like an hour to submit this post and someone else beat me to mentioning NEIS. That just means it's good

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
It's not quite corruption but I always liked the fleshy buttons and butthole doors in the space ships in duke 3d.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ETPC posted:

SS1 groves and Deck 9.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Diabetes Forecast posted:

...maybe??? I honestly don't know how GZDoom handles controller support, that's not my department.

in other news, walk cycle for the bot is set up now.

6 frames instead of 4 because I can't stand how little motion flow you can get from just 4.

I'll test it when I move to my new apartment. Will be pretty interesting to actually see it work. If people are willing to test any hardware for Doom compatibility, then any controller should also be used to play Doom with at least once.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

With the majority of goons here likely running Windows 10, if not now then in the future, this is worthy of being added to the OP, I think.

Agreed. Might also work with No One Lives Forever.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 28, 2018

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Agreed. Might also work with No One Lives Forever.

Oh man you might be right. I remember having a similar problem with it that I never figured out... Will take a look in the morning :)

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Prey has great organic technology/inoragnic technology shenanigans. Original Prey, not new Prey.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
New Prey also has alien corrupted tech, they're even called that, but they don't change much besides that they smoke and make funny noises. There's a spoilery element of alien corruption to some of the enemies and the overall game.

Which Wolfenstein games had those half-robot enemies besides RtCW? I think in the new games they're just robots. At least there's mecha Hitler or the lesser hitlers.

Also the whole idea of Combine as I understand is that they combine their tech with the organisms and tech from the worlds they invade.

loga mira fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 29, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm assuming avp 1&2 had some corruption of human bases but it's been so long since I've played em I can't remember. I always thought the hive aesthetic was cool

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I barely played Metroid Prime 2, but that had corruption out the rear end.

There's an image for you.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

loga mira posted:

Also the whole idea of Combine as I understand is that they combine their tech with the organisms and tech from the worlds they invade.

pretty much. the metrocops and the actual soldiers are pretty much just two separate points on the same line of 'hosed up human augmentation', and some of the combine vehicles are straight up weird bug-like things wired to the gills with tech

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
I've spent way too much time reading about how the Combine work in past years

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I barely played Metroid Prime 2, but that had corruption out the rear end.

There's an image for you.

3 had a better melding of phazon (corruptive mutagen) and the technologies that exploited it.

The space pirates tried to make use of the goop the entire trilogy long, with varying success.

Neither are really a merging to create corrupt technology... more being powered by Tiberium.

ETPC posted:

I've spent way too much time reading about how the Combine work in past years

quote:

Certain transmissions heard over the Civil Protection radios suggest that officers are rewarded with, in the words of the Overwatch Voice, "non-mechanical reproduction simulation" for good job performance. It is unknown what it really implies, although it can be surmised that it is somehow sexual.

I mean, the Combine are already terrifyingly alien with their towers and technology, but this and the suppression field really hit the chord of hateful disgust in me. They're shockingly good bad guys and reveling more of them (Maggot aliens, the guts of the Citadel) never really hurt the horror factor.

Its probably the big reason I'd like to see more of the half life universe, but gently caress holding out for that anymore.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 29, 2018

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
My biggest Half-Life want is for Marc Laidlaw to go to town and write a full meaty book from the perspective of a civilian during the events of Half-Life. Like that old Concerned webcomic, but serious instead of funny, and Gordon doesn't even show up in the book and is seen more like a mythical legend.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
That would be the dopest poo poo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

all the weird details of the combine are sort of dripfed to the player through the games if they care to pay attention and it's pretty neat

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Overwatch's commands are probably the best source of that. Breen too. :allears:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, the combine were a great enemy because they seemed almost limitless in the amount of weird and horrifying tech they had access too. It's one of the big reasons why I'm bummed about what's going on with the half life universe.

They really instilled a notion that the combine were far more vast and far reaching than you could even comprehend.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
Breen was an absolutely Machiavellian villain and I haven't encountered anything like him in gaming since HL2. On the surface, he appeared to be just another hand-wringing tyrant, a puppet of the Combine. And then you go deeper and find out he's just as terrified of humanity being wiped out as everybody else, and you can't tell whether or not he's brainwashed himself into believing the Combine's propaganda or if he's just desperate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2yhqxyYLUQ

This is such a frighteningly well-written speech in particular. It's so well-written that my brain almost doesn't want to accept the fact that this speech was written by some dude working at a game company. It seems like it would make far more sense if I was looking into some distorted vision of an alternate reality and this really was written by a desperate man trying to comfort his dying species. It's that well-written.

I miss Half-Life. Come back, Valve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
The ultimate fate of Breen that was planned in Epistle 3 is horrific. Also, witnessing the full power of the Combine would have been sobering, to say the least.