Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
the F stands for Forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

boop the snoot posted:

the F stands for Forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhSW9vDTRyY

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Guess the SMA hard about jenkem CBD oils.

SMA posted:

CSMs,

On behalf of the SMA,

Leaders,

I have recently been notified by our Surgeon General of an emerging health threat to our Soldiers with potentially catastrophic health risks associated with the use of products containing Cannabidiol (CBD) oil.

We need to educate our formations on these health risks potentially related to vaping products containing CBD oil which could cause severe medical issues.  These adverse health effects range from confusion to seizures, and complications may result in brain death. This problem has the potential to spread quickly across our Army, as CBD oil has been found in a wide range of
products from foods and dietary supplements to vaping oils.  These products are available on-line and in many retail stores, including vape shops and health stores.  Product names include Black Magic, Black Diamond and Triple-X.  Although CBD oil derived from the cannabis plant is a controlled substance under Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act, these products, and all vape oils, are currently unregulated by any U.S. Federal Regulatory Agency.

I consider this emerging public health threat a top priority, and we must continue to monitor this issue and provide updates as new information becomes available. As a part of our effort to protect Soldier health and safety, the U.S. Army Public Health Center is producing tailored information products.  We need to ensure the widest dissemination of these products as soon as they are finalized. 

In the meantime, if you have any questions regarding this issue, additional supplement safety information for Leaders, Warfighters, Families and Providers provided by the DOD Human Performance Resource Center can be found at:
https://www.opss.org/faqs/cannabidiol-are-dietary-supplements-cannabidiol-le
gal.

SMA

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5569602/

quote:

Results: In general, the often described favorable safety profile of CBD in humans was confirmed and extended by the reviewed research. The majority of studies were performed for treatment of epilepsy and psychotic disorders. Here, the most commonly reported side effects were tiredness, diarrhea, and changes of appetite/weight. In comparison with other drugs, used for the treatment of these medical conditions, CBD has a better side effect profile. This could improve patients' compliance and adherence to treatment. CBD is often used as adjunct therapy. Therefore, more clinical research is warranted on CBD action on hepatic enzymes, drug transporters, and interactions with other drugs and to see if this mainly leads to positive or negative effects, for example, reducing the needed clobazam doses in epilepsy and therefore clobazam's side effects.

I don't know anything about this topic but after five minutes googling it's clear: these science idiots really need to get on the same page as SMA wrt all the heart attacks and brain explosions that have been happening around the force.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Wasabi the J posted:

Guess the SMA hard about jenkem CBD oils.

So glad this idiot isn’t my loving boss.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5569602/

I don't know anything about this topic but after five minutes googling it's clear: these science idiots really need to get on the same page as SMA wrt all the heart attacks and brain explosions that have been happening around the force.

That's because the biggest threat that CBD poses to the military is that people don't give a fuuuuuck about pointless military poo poo any more.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

CBD is not psychoactive. You literally don’t get high from it.

It helps anxiety and pain.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Soulex posted:

It helps anxiety and pain.
Hence why it will never have a place in this man's Army! Our warriors need to be anxious and in pain 24 hours a day. Train like you fight, hua?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Is it legal?

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Being in constant pain is the only way to stave off the threat of Dynarri mind control. SMA is just looking out for us and ensuring we don’t become mind slaves in the 2150s.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Zeris posted:

Is it legal?

It's still a Schedule 1 drug, so if you pop hot for it you're screwed.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
CBD doesn’t pop on the DoD’s drug panels. I vape a CBD from the headshop before I go on car rides as a passenger because I’m loco as a passenger with the anxiety.

You can legally buy the stuff in headshots. Doesn’t really get you high but it does.. something that really helps with pain and anxiety. But it doesn’t get you high.

The times I’ve gotten CBD+THC in edibles was extremely pleasant.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

THC is fat soluble. I have no idea if CBD is or not. That’s the main reason THC is so goddamn easy to detect.

Not like I loving worry about it now.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Soulex posted:

THC is fat soluble. I have no idea if CBD is or not. That’s the main reason THC is so goddamn easy to detect.

There is no fat in your hair. The reason it is easy to detect is because they test for it. It is impossible to detect something you don’t test for.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Icon Of Sin posted:

Can't you join at 17 with a parental waiver? Someone born on 12 Sept 2001 could enlist this year if that's an option

:stonklol:

you can enlist on your 17th birthday but can’t go to basic training until 17 and a half. So they won’t actually be in the army until March 2019. they’ll still get to go to Afghanistan

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Fat Twitter Man posted:

you can enlist on your 17th birthday but can’t go to basic training until 17 and a half. So they won’t actually be in the army until March 2019. they’ll still get to go to Afghanistan

you can enlist before you even finish high school. i had a guy join us in OSUT after week 9 because he did the first 9 weeks at knox the summer before his senior year.

he's going career because his dad is making him.

17 year olds are loving dumb.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Don't join the army tia

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Fat Twitter Man posted:

you can enlist on your 17th birthday but can’t go to basic training until 17 and a half.

It's just 17.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Don't join the army tia

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Lots of people should join the Army, at least until my IRR time is up.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Join the Army! What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

There is no fat in your hair. The reason it is easy to detect is because they test for it. It is impossible to detect something you don’t test for.

Are you sure? Literally all cells are lined with lipids.

I understand though.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I went to basic training a week after I turned 17. Iraq. 2-3 weeks after I turned 18.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i enlisted right at 18 through DEP. enlisted in april and went to basic in january

also hells yeah that time counted

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
never mind, guess I was wrong. don’t know where I got that idea

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So as an OC I’m surrounded by a bunch of people that aren’t in my unit and I was talking to a JPMRC captain about getting out and it was literally a conversation where all he did is offer up standard Army excuses on why working for the Army sucks and that things aren’t all that great outside because the Army pays us officers a lot of money, our health care, sense of purpose and comraderie, etc etc.

Why do lifers get so defensive when somebody wants to get out? Why do they care and even want to talk somebody out of it in the first place?

Dude is a west pointer too so he’s spent his whole adult life suckling on the Army teat so I don’t know why he’s trying to tell a guy that joined the Army at 27 what it’s like as a civilian.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Oh, that's easy. It's what happens when someone is a boring motherfucker, and defines themselves by stuff that they do and stuff that they own.

You see it a lot that people attach things like the ability to fight, or being able to shoot, or lift heavy things, or their brand of car, and tie all that poo poo right on in their ego in a tight little ball of fragility.

Thus you say anything not positive about their job or whatever, that becomes a direct attack against themselves. Because they are just uninteresting airheads that confuse their job with who they are AND DON'T YOU EVER GODDAMN SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT THE ARMY MAGGOT gently caress YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mustang posted:

So as an OC I’m surrounded by a bunch of people that aren’t in my unit and I was talking to a JPMRC captain about getting out and it was literally a conversation where all he did is offer up standard Army excuses on why working for the Army sucks and that things aren’t all that great outside because the Army pays us officers a lot of money, our health care, sense of purpose and comraderie, etc etc.

Why do lifers get so defensive when somebody wants to get out? Why do they care and even want to talk somebody out of it in the first place?

Dude is a west pointer too so he’s spent his whole adult life suckling on the Army teat so I don’t know why he’s trying to tell a guy that joined the Army at 27 what it’s like as a civilian.

Because you’re showing that you can work outside of the system and it intimidates others because they want to do it too but are too scared. So they’ll ride it till pension and bitch about it in secret when it doesn’t conform to them. Or in public.

Also yeah, they’re used to people not having a real job beforehand I guess. I had a few and joined at 22 so I totally get it. Joining up After was good for me for so many reasons I’ll never regret joining but I definitely paid rent and held down a job. I can’t really work now but that’s a different story.

I’m getting educated. It’s so loving weird having experiences and then professors or others going “oh you mean such and such?” Well gently caress! Now I have the actual definition of what I want to study. Not the Army lingo.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Mustang posted:

this post makes me feel like the trailer for Sister Act II: Back in the Habit

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
People also get downright hostile sometimes because it implies that the Army is a bad choice, and that there might be something wrong with their choice to continue. So sometimes "I want to get out of the Army" turns into "The life choices you made are dumb and bad, and so are you" to the other person.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

I don’r get it why this is so forbidden. Lower enlisted had no other choice. We don’t have the best of the best. We have failures, lost souls, and people who had no other choice. It doesn’t make em inherently bad, but it’s not like a rifle squad is filled with highly capable, well adjusted, adaptive people.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Vahakyla posted:

I don’r get it why this is so forbidden. Lower enlisted had no other choice. We don’t have the best of the best. We have failures, lost souls, and people who had no other choice. It doesn’t make em inherently bad, but it’s not like a rifle squad is filled with highly capable, well adjusted, adaptive people.

Only the president can say what we are all thinking. Or maybe they are both bad and should both be fired.

Even if you strip out the military aspect, it still reeks of classism. Sure there is some truth to what you said but there is also a difference between wording, whereas his is "Oh, you weren't a Goldman Sachs executive or a tenured professor at the age of 18? Lol what a piece of poo poo". Also telling your students that their family members are dumbfucks probably isn't the smartest career move.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

I'll take em anyday over that bougie motherfucker. gently caress that guy! Lmao at Fox News picking some random ivory tower nerd to talk about instead of poo poo that actually matters. People have bad opinions, news at 11.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

I'm a lifer and I constantly tell dudes to get out quickly if they're going to get out. Don't be like me.

What unit was this guy in? He sounds like cav.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
He's wrong. Soldiers are neither the stupidest nor the scummiest on a list that includes "high-level bankers."

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

I'm a lifer and I constantly tell dudes to get out quickly if they're going to get out. Don't be like me.

What unit was this guy in? He sounds like cav.

Sounds like he mainlined the idiot thread for too long.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

not caring here posted:

Oh, that's easy. It's what happens when someone is a boring motherfucker, and defines themselves by stuff that they do and stuff that they own.

You see it a lot that people attach things like the ability to fight, or being able to shoot, or lift heavy things, or their brand of car, and tie all that poo poo right on in their ego in a tight little ball of fragility.

Thus you say anything not positive about their job or whatever, that becomes a direct attack against themselves. Because they are just uninteresting airheads that confuse their job with who they are AND DON'T YOU EVER GODDAMN SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT THE ARMY MAGGOT gently caress YOU

The Army is the only job I've ever had where people get upset when you want to quit to move on to better things. At every other place, everyone's always been happy to see other people take better positions to advance their career.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

The Army is the only job I've ever had where people get upset when you want to quit to move on to better things. At every other place, everyone's always been happy to see other people take better positions to advance their career.

My wife has only ever been a civilian. She’s definitely been guilt tripped and loaded with “on your way out” loads of work a few times. Ironically, this mostly stopped once she took on state and federal government work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
All the good bosses I've had have advocated for whatever decision the potential ETS-er would be happier with overall, recognizing that having people who don't want to be there makes their own job harder (and that pushing someone in the wrong direction for their life or family is generally lovely). That said, the primary concern of the Army as an institution is end strength, and that number drives all other concerns. By the time it filters down to the unit level it feels like an intense pressure that flippy-flops between "everyone leaving is a traitor, take this $20k and reenlist now!" and "nobody gets to reenlist unless the SMA signs off on your 300 APFT!". Those feelings are easily moderated by any level commander with a long enough view to see what's going on, but young or insecure leaders can be swept up by them.