Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

trucutru posted:

Holy poo poo piss!!!! :piss:

They don't even have a single star system in place. They currently have what seems to be a model of a planetary system (planet, and moons sans orbital mechanics) which doesn't even have all its elements in place. It's still far off for them to be actually thinking about multiple star systems at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

Quavers posted:

You this be CryTek's goal then, to cause a total freeze of Star Citizen's & Squadron 42's development, if even just for a few months?

With 350-400 employees, 14 shell studios and 10 third-parties?
Not to mention, how many of these cowboys you think brought home their work?
a few months?!!
GOOD LUCK BROTHER

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Imagine arguing in earnest with Cymelion. Poor guy.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Wow this is awful lol.

https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/starcitizen

https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/frontierdevelopments

e: Welp

https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/robertsspaceind

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
And after all of Lando’s whining about unrealistic expectations and his entreaties to people to watch their videos so they can get the personalities, the tone, the delivery styles of unique voices, he of course once again declares that they have embarked on the most ambitious gaming project ever blah blah blah.

He literally talks about being turned from Skeptic to Believer because he saw the passion of Chris Roberts on “Wingman’s Hangar”, and (get this), this is ten or fifteen minutes after saying that Wingman’s Hangar episodes had no substance because they hadn’t started building the game yet. “There is more content in one episode of Around the Verse than in all the episodes of Wingman’s Hangar.”

Okay, Lando, so you went from a Skeptic to a Believer from watching a show of no substance made by passionate people not making a game yet. That as your constructed narrative and why you want people to watch your shows today. To see the passion, hear the intimations, fall in love with personalities — you want all of that and to crow that you’re doing the never before attempted at scales never before successful and not even really worked out yet but for the love of all that is fair, please don’t have any specific expectations based on what you hear from us or our leader. Just like us, trust us, and give us money and we’ll get there together. Somehow. Eventually.

He just doesn’t get it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

no_recall posted:

They don't even have a single star system in place. They currently have what seems to be a model of a planetary system (planet, and moons sans orbital mechanics) which doesn't even have all its elements in place. It's still far off for them to be actually thinking about multiple star systems at this point.

It's like that time at Elite's when they waited to hit 100 billion systems before they decided how to handle 200 billion.

-How are you gonna handle those huge ships?
-We are not gonna think about that until we're half-way done into medium ships. What's the worst that could happen?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Hmm some other interesting stats

Star Citizen delivered more game shows than many other game devs.

:laffo:

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
This is a pretty incredible showing from Lando. He's more or less making an impassioned defense of emotionally manipulative agitprop, seemingly without a touch of self-awareness. I always thought Lando was a bit more of a pusher than an abuser but it seems like he's been saving a few punch bowls of kool-aid for personal use.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Reuben Sandwich posted:

They just can't ask for random stuff, it has to be specific items to the argument. Right? Could they ask for the actual sales figures to find the royalties?

Are depositions also part of the discovery process?

Could Derek be brought in as an expert witnes?
Depositions are part of discovery, yes. That goes into the record as testimony. You have to basically ask for specific things, but a common tactic is that it's buried in a million piles of papers that are tangentially related and you tell the other party to find it. Piles of banker's boxes of documents and a note that tells the other attorney to have fun. Though, in this case given the amount of dirt that'll probably backfire spectacularly. And yes, if for some reason Crytek feels the need to have Dr. Derek Smart, PhD come testify, that would be imminently possible. So too would the game being released, but you can't rule it out. Finally, sales records/receipts/income are definitely fair game because it's part of calculating damages, and are arguably fair game for other allegations like proving that CIG enriched themselves off Crytek's IP.

Toops posted:

I'm tired of deferred pleasure. I want blood.

Sidebar: What are the chances that, in discovery, larger crimes are discovered like fraud, larceny, embezzlement, etc? What's the score here, do those things have to be tried separately?

I'm not satisfied until people like Ortwin and Roberts are serving punitive penalties up to and including jail time in a federal pound me in the rear end prison.
That would be tried separately. Any evidence of that would be referred to the local DA or US Attorney's office and it's up to them to bring formal charges. Honestly, it'd be pretty hard unless there's a handwritten memo titled "My Criminal Conspiracy Notes" signed by the principals.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Streetroller posted:

With 350-400 employees, 14 shell studios and 10 third-parties?
Not to mention, how many of these cowboys you think brought home their work?
a few months?!!
GOOD LUCK BROTHER

:eng99: (feels like he got run over by the hero Streetroller)

I have zero clue how long things like Discovery take. How long are we talking do the more legally-knowledgeable goons think?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/kkVBKN0.gifv

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

This is a pretty incredible showing from Lando. He's more or less making an impassioned defense of emotionally manipulative agitprop, seemingly without a touch of self-awareness. I always thought Lando was a bit more of a pusher than an abuser but it seems like he's been saving a few punch bowls of kool-aid for personal use.

I believe he was in the concierge forum before he was anointed to any of the community teams, so he may be at least $1000 of kool aid.

Which is a metric which I believe we've lost some appreciation for over the course of this journey.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

Ha - that’s well put. I can’t think of a single Lando session where he distills the cognitive dissonance so potently. He is pleading overtly for endless faith in things unseen predicated not on reason or plans but personalities and their passion. He wants the track record and trajectories rendered inadmissible even while claiming they’re heading higher than anyone has ever successfully ventured.

“But don’t judge us by our altitude, it’s our attitude that really counts.”

Nice platitude, dude, but if you truly believe that, you’re screwed.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

G0RF posted:

And after all of Lando’s whining about unrealistic expectations and his entreaties to people to watch their videos so they can get the personalities, the tone, the delivery styles of unique voices, he of course once again declares that they have embarked on the most ambitious gaming project ever blah blah blah.

He literally talks about being turned from Skeptic to Believer because he saw the passion of Chris Roberts on “Wingman’s Hangar”, and (get this), this is ten or fifteen minutes after saying that Wingman’s Hangar episodes had no substance because they hadn’t started building the game yet. “There is more content in one episode of Around the Verse than in all the episodes of Wingman’s Hangar.”

Okay, Lando, so you went from a Skeptic to a Believer from watching a show of no substance made by passionate people not making a game yet. That as your constructed narrative and why you want people to watch your shows today. To see the passion, hear the intimations, fall in love with personalities — you want all of that and to crow that you’re doing the never before attempted at scales never before successful and not even really worked out yet but for the love of all that is fair, please don’t have any specific expectations based on what you hear from us or our leader. Just like us, trust us, and give us money and we’ll get there together. Somehow. Eventually.

He just doesn’t get it.

Geeked Lando is favorite Lando. He gets loving CRANKED for these shows.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

GamerMax (the "Could CIG fix health care?" guy) has a new video up where he says that he:

1) has no interest in Squadron 42
2) feels that SQ42 is not written very well (LOL)
3) hasn't played Star Citizen for over two weeks
4) won't come back before 3.1 and would actually prefer to wait 1.5-2 years before trying SC again
5) is scaling back his YouTube activities in favor of trying to get a full-time job (good idea!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ladI5exy8ys

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

If you're in the back of a car and your dad says you're going to Disneyland but gets super irate when you say he missed the Disneyland offramp and he starts shouting about how you're going somewhere better than Disneyland and better than you could ever hope for and far better than anything that rear end in a top hat Peterson who used to date your mom could ever do and now that stupid whore is trying to take everything from him in the courts.

Well.

You're probably not actually going to somewhere better than Disneyland.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

boviscopophobic posted:

GamerMax (the "Could CIG fix health care?" guy) has a new video up where he says that he:

4) won't come back before 3.1 and would actually prefer to wait 1.5-2 years before trying SC again
5) is scaling back his YouTube activities in favor of trying to get a full-time job (good idea!)

Everywhere you look, you can see that which the year end funding surge contradicts. Gheesling cuts back on SC due to lack of action and in inconstant interest. Erris pleads for more Chris because he needs his faith renewed. Multiple streamers have expressed being tapped out financially and needing to spend money on more immediate needs. Twitch streamers are playing other games instead of 3.0. CIG skipping Gamescom. The real-time player counts are moribund.

The contraction is everywhere but the tracker.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

boviscopophobic posted:

Another one bites the dust particle system kicked up under your hovering space chariot which only costs 5-10 frames/sec.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

G0RF posted:

Everywhere you look, you can see that which the year end funding surge contradicts. Gheesling cuts back on SC due to lack of action and in inconstant interest. Erris pleads for more Chris because he needs his faith renewed. Multiple streamers have expressed being tapped out financially and needing to spend money on more immediate needs. Twitch streamers are playing other games instead of 3.0. CIG skipping Gamescom. The real-time player counts are moribund.

The contraction is everywhere but the tracker.

Remember that the tracker was also moribund funding-wise before the anniversary fire sale brought it back into the realm of respectability (although still behind 2015 and 2016). I think the number of new citizen accounts made in 2017 is probably lower than 2014 and maybe even 2013, although I would need to check. These phenomena might be consistent with the loss of mindshare among the public and more casual backers, causing CIG/RSI to lean even more on the heavily invested whalebase. This will work until it doesn't.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Milky Moor posted:

Crytek must not settle.

The financials AMD letter must flow.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Raskolnikov posted:

It's like I was there.

I think you were. You were having the happy meal across the way!

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

G0RF posted:

Any sufficiently ambitious kickstarter is indistinguishable from a scam. - Arthur C. Parpe

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

boviscopophobic posted:

Remember that the tracker was also moribund funding-wise before the anniversary fire sale brought it back into the realm of respectability (although still behind 2015 and 2016).

Remember if? I predicted it in my November blog!

:smuggo:

G0RF posted:

CIG approaches the year-end in an extremely vulnerable state. Without Herculean course-corrections, they face the very real prospects of ending the year with a marked decline in revenues. The development of both Star Citizen and Squadron 42 already appear victims of development hell — the absence (again) of Squadron 42 despite claims by Roberts (again) it was nearing release is bad enough. The ICU state of the prematurely born yet 10 months late 3.0 only darkens their optics further.

Putting aside whatever their short term financial needs are, the success of the Anniversary Sale is therefore of paramount symbolic importance. A narrative of declining fortunes and waning public demand is widely-presumed and already much discussed. It hasn’t yet become the lede for their story, yet the presumptions are widespread that such a chapter is due to begin in their tale — too much do they now resemble past archetypical development hell DOAs.

Given CIG’s absolute control without oversight of their sales ticker and given Chris Roberts complete ethical bankruptcy, does anyone seriously believe he would sit idly by and let organic demand as reflected by an honest tracker dictate his entire future? If private manipulations can escape the scrutiny of their backers and the media, postpone his overdue public reckoning and preserve the confidence of his most critical financial supporters, does anyone really believe this pathological deceiver would not pursue them?

As with every word that spatters and spittles out of his mouth, I just find that very hard to believe. If ever there was a time to bend truth towards his warped intentions, it is now. His need to preserve his colossal ego and the massive self-deluding distortion field that protects it from unvarnished reality has never been greater and where there’s a will, there’s a way.

The tracker is his last chance after an inarguably lousy year to tell the tale anew, and I believe Chris Roberts would move Heaven and Earth to ensure that the tale it will tell is the very same one no less than Daztek himself often repeats.

”Star Citizen is good.”

And boy did those last weeks of the year deliver. Mission succesfl!

Lando goes pure revisionist, even claiming Roberts and Roberts alone programmed their entire original demo.

He really gets mad at you meanies who say Development started in 2011. The Code Whisperer has only just finished touring his hand crafted demo, and as Sandi says, boy howdy to watch that man program is a wonder because brilliance.

Whooboy these times they are a testing the tensile strength of a very strained fiction of past events. Sooner or later it’s going to snap completely and the Thesis/Antithesis debates are going to end, save for the true nutters who cling to the fiction long abandoned because without it they’d have to look harder at the guy with the lollipop wrapper where a head should be staring back at him in the mirror.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Any sufficiently ambitious kickstarter is indistinguishable from a scam. - Arthur C. Parpe

:lol:

Two possibilities exist: either Star Citizen will be released as the Best drat Space Sim Ever, or it will not. Both are equally terrifying.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

boviscopophobic posted:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Judge : "So where is the so-called video game Star Citizen and all its progress ?"
Chris : "Sorry my Ben ate it."

Zzr fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 29, 2018

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Dusty Lens posted:

If you're in the back of a car and your dad says you're going to Disneyland but gets super irate when you say he missed the Disneyland offramp and he starts shouting about how you're going somewhere better than Disneyland and better than you could ever hope for and far better than anything that rear end in a top hat Peterson who used to date your mom could ever do and now that stupid whore is trying to take everything from him in the courts.

Well.

You're probably not actually going to somewhere better than Disneyland.

You're going to a bar. Again.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

AlbieQuirky posted:

You're going to a bar. Again.

Dad is. You, you stay in the car.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

boviscopophobic posted:

Remember that the tracker was also moribund funding-wise before the anniversary fire sale brought it back into the realm of respectability (although still behind 2015 and 2016). I think the number of new citizen accounts made in 2017 is probably lower than 2014 and maybe even 2013, although I would need to check. These phenomena might be consistent with the loss of mindshare among the public and more casual backers, causing CIG/RSI to lean even more on the heavily invested whalebase. This will work until it doesn't.

I've got your back :hfive:

According to the Crowdfunding Spreadsheet, new Citizen accounts per year:
  • 2013 = 241,105
  • 2014 = 360,154
  • 2015 = 431,619
  • 2016 = 563,286
  • 2017 = 250,248
  • 2018 = 21,669 (28 days only)
:negative:

Top 5 new Citizen days:
  • 2014/09/01 = 23,047
  • 2016/02/02 = 20,574
  • 2016/10/23 = 19,115
  • 2016/10/24 = 19,023
  • 2016/02/01 = 15,501
The best new Citizens day in 2017? April 15th, with only 3,455

2017 was a good year for Star Citizen

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Stop, before the intern reading the thread quits!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

G0RF posted:

Lando talks about another start of year Big Summit...

Jake Ross spoke memorably of the CIG LA Big Summit that set that year’s agenda and priorities. There doesn’t appear to be a bigger plan than what gets worked up each January to last them until December.

Later quote:

“We’re trying very, very hard not to get you guys’ hopes up.”

Lando laments the burden of meeting backers expectations (that Chris helps set...)

:chanpop: (but :lol: at Ubernerd’s hilarious reaction... He looks like Orson Wells performing Donald Sutherland’s final shot in Invasion of the Body Snatchers.)

Oh my lord this is just insane. Insane that he’s bristling about this. You can’t profit from selling the hope and then cry foul when you deliver the ‘nope!’ and people call you out for it, Lando!

It’s called basic accountability and if Chris had a conscience about your ill-gotten gains you'd feel shame for it. I mean get serious man— you’ve raised a Rockstar Level budget, you talk smack about AAA publishers and say “come at us!”, and then you want to bemoan people judging your delivery record against your own stated targets? Get over yourselves. You want the freedom to be haughty, bold and ambitious, right? Then how on earth can you expect to be measured gently, tenderly, cautiously?

Chris Roberts — YOUR SPOKEMAN — set the unrealistic expectations you chafe against. You’re mad because people are parsing your newer content for features some Dev said would be in 3.2 when it might not be? Guess what? Chris set the original 3.2 expectations a year and a half ago. And you reaped a fortune from that, remember? And then you guys delivered 1/4th of Chris’s 3.0 a year late in an unplayable state and 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 all got pushed back and they’re still getting pushed back because you keep changing your targets and have no fixed plans. Maybe you should give back 75% of the money you earned off the back of that Hype before you whine about being held accountable for falling short.

Yes it’s a double edged sword Lando, maybe Chris should stop gripping it by the blade and then complaining when you cut yourselves swinging it.

Listen to him talking about how they want to be judged on style not just substance. Don’t take my summary of it for granted — hear it in his own words. He’s complaining about things being lost in summarization and via subjective parsing. Hear it for yourselves and make your own judgments.

lol wow is 2018 going to be the year CIG starts throwing shills under the bus? You backers and your expectations!

So petty that Lando is jealous the "So called recaps" stealing all his youtube views holy poo poo this section is unbelievable. Wait till I get the Goon recap youtube going we'll see how much that ruffles his feathers.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit:

:negative:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

who the gently caress is applauding CIG at this point for anything

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

mlady

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

I like this one:

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
I APPLAUD CIG's laziness and lack of forethought.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

alf_pogs posted:

who the gently caress is applauding CIG at this point for anything

I'm applauding CIG for scamming the hell out of all these rubes.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Also, "these interactive wonders of possibility that is our ships"

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Also what happens when a player murders another player? From what I've gathered, there's a wanted and cooldown timer right now that can be circumvented? If I GTA another persons ship do I get away scot-free, and keep his ship if I NEVER log off?

What if I GTA another person's ship and commit another piracy crime, or go on a murder spree with it? Do I (the player) get punished, or does the owner of said ship get punished? Is punishment tied to the player or to the ship or to the player of the ship who has been GTA'ed?

Especially since ships in Star Citizen have individual hull-id's I don't think its hard to implement this.

I can just daisy chain the ship ownership and hand it off to a fellow goonie to keep the real owner from ever having it as long as they live? I mean if I steal an Idris for Goonswarm, and just hand it over to the next captain for safe keeping and keeps it going, it should be a plausible gameplay mechanic.

Griefing is going to be so good in Star Citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Going through FDev's 3.0b patch notes.

fdev posted:

Ships

Added the Chieftain. More maneuverable than ships of similar size and weight, the Alliance Chieftain from Lakon Spaceways has been designed not only to dish out punishment, but to avoid it. - Horizons only

I wonder if the person who wrote the patch notes was tempted to edit in "punches above its weight".