Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I’d like craft guild invite too, please @kalleerik.vahakyla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

So just picked up Morrowind, bought this at launch and put it down shortly after cause it was buggy and lovely. Have a 15 sorc but started fresh with a NB and am having fun.

My question for the panel - I plan on playing my mag sorc and stam Nb kind of equally, how do people with multiple characters handle crafting? Putting skill points in non combat stuff makes my inner sperg itch but since I’m on PS4 and solo a lot I figure I’ll have to craft.

So learn crafting stuff on both or make one the crafter or? I’m hoping I can invest minimally to keep myself in staff/cloth on the sorc and daggers/bow/medium on the sb but no idea how to do that, I don’t normally craft much in mmos.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Learn on one to start, once you've maxed it, it's easy to pump on other characters if you wanna do writs.

The only reason to learn crafting on multiple characters is to do writs with all of them, so you just need to max out the main skill (get the provisioning skill that makes food last longer, drinks too if you use those), otherwise you can throw whatever in the bank to transfer characters; items you've made, items you want to upgrade can go to the main guy with points in it, upgrade and put back in bank, etc

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
There's more than enough skill points for non-combat stuff. You don't need mastery in every weapon and armor type.

Also I think I found the one thing that bugs me about the skill system: detection range being on the medium armor tree instead of legerdemain. Also the fact that the only skill point worth spending in trafficker is the first one.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 24, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

squirrelzipper posted:

So just picked up Morrowind, bought this at launch and put it down shortly after cause it was buggy and lovely. Have a 15 sorc but started fresh with a NB and am having fun.

My question for the panel - I plan on playing my mag sorc and stam Nb kind of equally, how do people with multiple characters handle crafting? Putting skill points in non combat stuff makes my inner sperg itch but since I’m on PS4 and solo a lot I figure I’ll have to craft.

So learn crafting stuff on both or make one the crafter or? I’m hoping I can invest minimally to keep myself in staff/cloth on the sorc and daggers/bow/medium on the sb but no idea how to do that, I don’t normally craft much in mmos.
I did everything except Provisioning on one character. You really want to get at least Clothing, Woodworking, Blacksmithing on one character because of the research system. You could split the others up, but Alchemy is so easy to level you could easily put it on multiple characters.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Reinstalled and want to make a semi-serious go of it. I have Morrowind so therefore have access to Warden. How's stamden for PvE and PvP? Can I kill things and (almost) never die? Account is @eightbitminiboss for guild invite.

Also I have an extra ESO key for Steam from Humble that I don't need: GEKWW-MF8F8-ZGEJ8

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Thanks all, I’m gonna craft some poo poo. As soon as I finish this quest...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Reinstalled and want to make a semi-serious go of it. I have Morrowind so therefore have access to Warden. How's stamden for PvE and PvP? Can I kill things and (almost) never die? Account is @eightbitminiboss for guild invite.

Also I have an extra ESO key for Steam from Humble that I don't need: GEKWW-MF8F8-ZGEJ8
Stamden's a favorite in PVP right now but I don't know the details. I believe it's one specific build.

AngstPenguin
Oct 10, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

If nobody's used that code yet, I have a friend who's been wanting to play.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
If there is room, I haven't played this in a long time, but am up to 19, can @pahpichulo get an invite? I'm trying to find THE MMO I can settle down with and chill, and I have always enjoyed this over the MMO Legion Keep crap, and I just can't do GW2 anymore with all the currencies that go on.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
While you're doing invites, could you toss one my way @tooknost? I'm digging the game, but games are always better with goons.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I picked this up again when I heard about the changes made last year to make it more single-player friendly. Planning to just keep it as a single player game where I occasionally see somebody else running by since I like TES but have enough online games demanding my time with dailies or w/e

I just finished (most of) the Stonefalls quest stuff, but the main storyline just seemed to...end? Like the guy said "I'm gonna go summon the thing!" and then there was no followup quest to stop him. Did I miss some prerequisite, or will it come back later (maybe at max level? ffxiv has plot threads like that so it was something I thought was possible)?

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

cheetah7071 posted:

I picked this up again when I heard about the changes made last year to make it more single-player friendly. Planning to just keep it as a single player game where I occasionally see somebody else running by since I like TES but have enough online games demanding my time with dailies or w/e

I just finished (most of) the Stonefalls quest stuff, but the main storyline just seemed to...end? Like the guy said "I'm gonna go summon the thing!" and then there was no followup quest to stop him. Did I miss some prerequisite, or will it come back later (maybe at max level? ffxiv has plot threads like that so it was something I thought was possible)?

It's continued in the next zone. So, whatever quest you have to go there is the quest to stop him. Probably. Been a minute since I did that one.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Polyseme posted:

It's continued in the next zone. So, whatever quest you have to go there is the quest to stop him. Probably. Been a minute since I did that one.

I didn't actually pick up any quest at all, and the guy who was the last person in the previous quest said he's at another location in stonefall. Oh well, I was getting tired of Stonefall anyways so I'll probably just wander into another zone.

e: and I checked around the area described and didn't find anything

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 28, 2018

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
Also, a few of the main quests only start when you reach a certain level (I think?) - the Prophet will appear to you or something and give you the next parts.

But as a sp game this is really fun, you can completely ignore end-game if that's your thing. In fact, I myself played pretty much sp on my first 2 characters - was enjoying it so much. You also don't feel like you're missing out because the BiS crafted is very good (a bit too good some may say).

After a while you'll want to experience endgame (pve + pvp) and that opens up a whole new part of the game :D

JadaX fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 28, 2018

disgraceful
Mar 30, 2006
Wiking.
Is the EU guild still active?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

We've done it folks, we've become the zerg with our all powerful 8-man group

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I googled it and had my suitably cool endcap to the Stonefalls story. Turns out when the guy says "he's going to this place, which is past this other place" what he means is "go to that second place I mentioned as a landmark to pick up another quest"

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

I googled it and had my suitably cool endcap to the Stonefalls story. Turns out when the guy says "he's going to this place, which is past this other place" what he means is "go to that second place I mentioned as a landmark to pick up another quest"

Oh dang, I had the same issue and just shrugged and moved on. Where am I meant to go then?

edit: I think I found it at kragenmoor

NLJP fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jan 28, 2018

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

disgraceful posted:

If it is, someone toss me an invite @madhabmatics. I just restarted on the EU recently!

DoriDori240 posted:

I will be re-writing this one shortly, as soon as the final pts updates before they hit live. Still works as a overview and the leveling info is still relevant, just some skill changes...

Is the magblade healing rotation as finnicky / animation sensitive as the DPS one?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

cheetah7071 posted:

While the actual locations of the quest givers are nebulous at best, basically look at your map. If the icon is white, that means you did the quest there.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

edit: poor joke

NLJP fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 28, 2018

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

disgraceful posted:

I dont think it ever really was. Come play on the NA server with the rest of us eurogoons ;-*

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

JadaX posted:

Also, a few of the main quests only start when you reach a certain level (I think?) - the Prophet will appear to you or something and give you the next parts.

This used to be true but is no longer true. Not much is gated by level anymore. I basically did the whole main quest straight through on a new character.

Stuff like the fighter's guild quests will still require a level with the guild, but you don't need to max it out to finish the story, I'm pretty sure fighter's guild rank 5 was all I needed to get through the end.

The faction storylines are not always good at leading you to the next step. The Pact one in particular is awful about this, and my friend and I had the same issue in Stonefalls and a few other spots during that. You actually have to pay attention to NPC dialogue to figure out where to go, cause there will be nothing in your map or journal... and I don't really think that's good game design. It gets a little better later on, in that story.

Another thing to watch out for with the faction stories is, after you turn in a big quest, a lot of the time a random questgiver will just be hanging out in the vicinity. Don't ignore those, they are NOT side quests, those people are telling you where to go next to continue the story.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
Yes, we have resurrected our EU chapter. If you are on EU message @doridori240 on the EU side and I will get you an invite to Chill Bros.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

DoriDori240 posted:

Yes, we have resurrected our EU chapter. If you are on EU message @doridori240 on the EU side and I will get you an invite to Chill Bros.

Just to be clear, House Awful is abolished? I'd like an invite @splitsoul if so.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Might as well try out the EU side too. @uvb76

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Could someone explain to me is there some downside to lag? Because all my EU friends play on US server, and it doesn’t seem to matter?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

For some reason none of the account upgrades I've purchased in-game (Imperial pack, any race/alliance, etc) are available to me if I play on the EU server. They show as not being purchased in the crown store. Is this a bug or something?

EDIT: Alright, turns out everything bought with Crowns is server-bound. You'd think something labeled as an "account upgrade" would be, you know, account-wide. Nevermind, back to the NA server it is.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 29, 2018

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Vahakyla posted:

Could someone explain to me is there some downside to lag? Because all my EU friends play on US server, and it doesn’t seem to matter?

The downside to lag is that the game is, you know, laggier. Not critical, but definitely noticeable in this game. Try rolling an EU character for comparison.

Shy fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 29, 2018

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I’m physically near Venice, and I don’t really feel anything being off with my game. I wish the game had one megahive and a way to run instances on servers close to you. Segregation in an MMO blows.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Yeah I'm west of genoa and the internet here blows chunks but most of the time I'm just fine on the us server.

Edit: not been in a big POV Zerg mind you

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

DoriDori240 posted:

if House Awful is being abandoned, I'd like an invite as well please, @inflatable_fish

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
From the persepctive of playing this like a single player game, which if any DLCs are worth it to get? I ask because I just bumped into the clockwork city quest, which very rudely said "please give us money to continue this quest that you already started". I assume the Vvardenfell DLC is super expansive but I really have no point of reference for how big the other ones are.

e: for what it's worth I care more about quality than quantity because I'm almost certainly not gonna exhaust the content in this game before I stop playing so I'm looking for things that are notably better than just wandering around questing

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 30, 2018

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'd say get Thieves' Guild if you like doing thief stuff at all. The questline is fun, and Hew's Bane is maybe the prettiest region in the entire game.

The only quest DLC I'd recommend you not get are Shadows of the Hist and Horns of the Reach, because those are entirely difficult group dungeon stuff.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
whoa a la carte DLCs are pricey. I guess I'll just play normally then, thief stuff doesn't really appeal to me especially. If I'm still playing after exhausting non-DLC content then by that point I'll be invested enough to want a subscription anyways.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Yeah, you definitely get your money's worth from the subscription, and that's the smart way to do it.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I just went through Clockwork City. I didn't like it at first. Too brown and bland with nothing that I really cared about. I started doing a few quests here and there because my subscription runs out on the 8th and I wanted to grab skyshards.

I can't pinpoint when it happened, but somewhere between talking with NPCs and exploring I really started to appreciate it. It has some very subtle storytelling elements in parts, which I appreciated. I also started to find the sci-fantasy aesthetic really fun. The music is great and atmospheric. It feels very distopian.

I've played since beta and it's the first part of the game that really got me thinking about the characters and location outside of the game. I was sweeping yesterday and found a tiny spot in the corner of my kitchen where some sugar ants had gotten in. They had come through a miniscule opening in the baseboard only to die, their little ant corpses stuck inside this giant fabricated world. It made me think back to some of the little quests I ran into in Clockwork and how those characters must have felt.

I did the entire story without leaving the zone, so when I went back to Tamriel and saw green plants again it felt like taking a big breath of air. That's not a critique, just an interesting feeling I had while playing.

Well, that seems like a lot of dumb words about an mmo dlc now that I look back at it, but that's my hot take.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Also mind you, three months of ESO plus gives you nearly enough crowns to get the important DLCs in the ”4 dlc pack” for 5500 crowns. During three months you gently caress money and get bitches, visit all dlc places, then don’t buy bunch of dumb pets, but instead get perma-access to the dlc areas with the package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Vahakyla posted:

then don’t buy bunch of dumb pets

You lost me here