Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

I just want to learn how to fight in order to defend myself.

That will be totally fine. It's just like, younger people's bodies recover faster, so they can train like six days in a row and feel fine, whereas you would probably feel really beaten up at the end of a week like that. It can be offset somewhat with diet and good sleep. So that's the only real concern with age. Martial arts are addictive so we want to train always and forever.

For reference I'm 31, usually make 3 a week, feel like poo poo if I make more than 4, but I have a terrible diet and drink too much, too.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Everyone here is apparently 31 including me. For reference I started at 28 and have been doing BJJ, HEMA, Fencing and kickboxing. For self defense I carry one of those personal alarms and wear running shoes.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I've been committed to training at least 5x a week this year and let me tell you that my body is constantly sore and beat up.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I’m 35 and more than three two-hour sessions a week just seems to just lead to me getting injured.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

vaginal facsimile posted:

Do you have a rec for good wraps and gloves? I guess i can search on youtube for how to wrap your hands, have never done that before. drat what am i getting into lol

Muay Thai is pretty hard on the body, I'll be going back this week after nearly three months off and I fully expect be unspeakable sweaty disaster of a martial artist.

You want your mouthguard, wraps, gloves, leg guards and loose shorts. Mouthguard is obvious, you are going to get punched in the face either on purpose or by accident. You have one set of teeth and presumably you want to hold onto them. Also helps with your breathing because it generally will encourage you to keep your mouth closed and drills in the habit of breathing hard through the nose. You will open your mouth eventually while training but you'll start to figure that out.

Wraps are for supporting your hand and wrist. Wrap a few times at home to get a feel for it either off youtube or from someone in the gym showing you. You will probably want to support your wrist more, particularly if you do any bag work during class. Again, you'll get a feel for it.

This guys fairly on the ball.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kgVnNAHLLM

Buy leather gloves, basically the only advice I have for you there, Vinyl doesn't last as long. You probably want to spend 70ish dollars on gloves, I spent 50 euro on mine and they are in very good condition still (should be training more regularly though). Try some on, talk to the guy in the shop. They should probably be around 16oz gloves. Competition gloves will be lighter generally but 16oz is better for training.

I have a set of venum leg guards, these actually. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GSNHSTE?ref=emc_b_5_i Dunno what the braintrust here on the thread thinks of them, but I got them for free off a mate of mine so I can't quibble. Find them comfortable on my large calves and are probably ideal for a beginner, some of the more regular guys in the gym have guards that fully closed at the back, which certainly look more comfortable but the two straps on these are fine imo.

Shorts wise, nice loose shorts but also, quite short shorts. Basketball shorts for example are way too long. Ideally you want to be wearing shorts that go to maybe half the length of your thigh and made of a very soft flexible fabric. Proper muay thai shorts are extremely sick and totally worth it. https://www.amazon.com/Top-King-Box...uay+thai+shorts

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm 36 and I train 5-7 times per week, typically, between BJJ and Judo. I always go about 60% and I choose to work with people who I know won't make it hard for me to keep that rule. On top of that tap early and roll the way that you want people to roll with you.

I rarely feel especially sore. I'm always kinda sore but it's never that "hnnnng there are 4 stairs on the way to the kitchen I'm just going to starve instead" kind of sore.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What's with the running shoes meme?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's not a meme, it's legit good advice

mewse
May 2, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Nike-do is the most useful martial art

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

punk rebel ecks posted:

Serious martial arts and higher level training don't focus on self-defense.
Self-defense boils down to avoiding risk situations, staying away, running when you can and cooperating when you can't.
So if you're gonna run, better wear the right footwear.

Martial arts can give you fitness and some ability in random street assault, but no good gym is going to be trying to break down various attack scenarios to try to mentally and technically prepare its students.

It's 100% good to take martial arts at whatever age, but know that gyms that claim they can teach you to defend yourself (on the street, as opposed to in the ring) are probably not giving you sound fighting or self-defense instruction.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Holding Thai pads for someone while they practice kicks made me realize I should do all I can throughout my life to never actually get kicked :shrug:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So a single guy taking out five random thugs at once like in the movies is unrealistic!? :O

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

So a single guy taking out five random thugs at once like in the movies is unrealistic!? :O

Sure with a gun and a lifetime of training.

Listen to Jocko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGpDVCkhtD4

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

There are people (even in this very thread) that cannot be disabused of that notion.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

I started jiu jitsu at 31. Take jiu jitsu and learn how to run.

I agree that the cardio def helps. I cycle which is easier on my joints and I can still get a great burn in.

I started it at 40. And by that time your body starts feeling a bit more tired. You have good days and bad days, but honestly its important the older you get to know how to pace yourself. For example on Saturday I got wrecked training with a friend from out of town so this morning I just did drills instead of sparring.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

JaySB posted:

Sure with a gun and a lifetime of training.

Listen to Jocko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGpDVCkhtD4

I see. So start with BJJ.

Why does he say start boxing before Muey Thai?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I refuse to listen to anyone who preaches practices before 7am or would lead my instructor to have them, but if i had to guess its because punching is a way more common mode of effective striking attack. I rarely see well or even partially executed kicks on world star. So what better way to defend and counter a punch than learning a sport thats entirely about that.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I've said this before but I also think boxing teaches better foot and head movement as well as learning how to roll with punches than any other martial art.

Guys who think they know how to leg kick end up dying by overhand right a lot on World Star. Guys who know how to throw a good clean 1-2 and then get their head off line tend to do ok on World Star

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

JaySB posted:

I've said this before but I also think boxing teaches better foot and head movement as well as learning how to roll with punches than any other martial art.

Guys who think they know how to leg kick end up dying by overhand right a lot on World Star. Guys who know how to throw a good clean 1-2 and then get their head off line tend to do ok on World Star

So boxing is superior to kickboxing?

mewse
May 2, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yes, and Jiu Jitsu is superior to boxing, and Judo is superior to all three

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

mewse posted:

Yes, and Jiu Jitsu is superior to boxing, and Judo is superior to all three

Out of curiosity, in a school that only teaches Judo and no Jiu Jitsu, how much concentration, or time spent, is there on Newaza?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

If your metric is:
how much of 6 months' worth of training could I translate to fighting some untrained attack

then yes, boxing is better than kickboxing. You have to spread your training time over a lot more technique, so your ability will be shallower across the board.

I don't view things in terms of just the beginning phase of training, though, nor should you if you are looking at different combat sports.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

If your metric is:
how much of 6 months' worth of training could I translate to fighting some untrained attack

then yes, boxing is better than kickboxing. You have to spread your training time over a lot more technique, so your ability will be shallower across the board.

I don't view things in terms of just the beginning phase of training, though, nor should you if you are looking at different combat sports.

I see. So kickboxing is only better than boxing if you are proficient in it.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 29, 2018

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
You got a fight coming up in the next 6 months?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Novum posted:

You got a fight coming up in the next 6 months?

Shhh. I don't want to give away too much information.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I see. So kickboxing is only better than boxing if you are proficient in it.

In 6 months, a boxing student of average aptitude will have better hands and range than a kickboxing student.
In a year, a kickboxing student will be able to trip or knee from the clinch and attack in ways that the boxing student hasn't committed to muscle memory.

To evaluate MA training as learning curves is oversimplifying, but I think that answers your question.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Do whats fun for you because self defense is a scam designed to get you to kill yourself. Personally I'd recommend doing a little research and hitting up the nearest place that puts out the highest level competitors in their sport.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Novum posted:

self defense is a scam designed to get you to kill yourself.

:lol:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Go do whatever you find coolest and most fun because that's what you're most likely to actually stick with.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Best gym friends = best training = best results

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Being honest I just want to learn something so that I am no longer intimidated by others as much. I also want something that is fun and I will meet others with.

However, I don't know if I'm dedicated enough to adhere to a super strict diet or routine.

I'm kind of leaning toward Muey Thai or some type of combat that involves a lot of hand to hand. Not sure what's best.

kimbo305 posted:

In 6 months, a boxing student of average aptitude will have better hands and range than a kickboxing student.
In a year, a kickboxing student will be able to trip or knee from the clinch and attack in ways that the boxing student hasn't committed to muscle memory.

To evaluate MA training as learning curves is oversimplifying, but I think that answers your question.

It answers it perfectly thank you. I know some people who say boxing is superior to kickboxing due to the Mayweather and McGregor fight.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 30, 2018

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Go do whatever you find coolest and most fun because that's what you're most likely to actually stick with.
Not emptyquoting. Most martial sports are scary at first, but eventually you'll get used to getting bopped on the nose/pinned under a huge-rear end goon/choked by a tiny child. Framing it as a sport helps people set goals and push themselves.

If Muay Thai sounds cool, find a place and go check them out! (The first session should be free.)

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

It answers it perfectly thank you. I know some people who say boxing is superior to kickboxing due to the Mayweather and McGregor fight.

People who make sweeping comments on fights like that know so little about fighting that they can't even grasp how much information there is to grasp about fighting let alone be anywhere near the level of understanding that would grant them an opinion worth hearing. I have fivish years of casually doing muay thai and boxing and when I watch high level boxing fights I don't even understand what's going on most of the time.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Being honest I just want to learn something so that I am no longer intimidated by others as much. I also want something that is fun and I will meet others with.

Take. Jiu. Jitsu.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

However, I don't know if I'm dedicated enough to adhere to a super strict diet or routine.

The best muay thai trainers in the world are fat chain smoking middle aged thai dudes. If you're not looking to be a serious sport competitor you don't need to maintain some strict lifestyle.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

JaySB posted:

Take. Jiu. Jitsu.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

It's so much better than lifting weights or running on the treadmill

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm kind of leaning toward Muey Thai or some type of combat that involves a lot of hand to hand. Not sure what's best.

I've only been doing Sanda/Sanshou (Chinese kickboxing) since August. I'm 34, and this is the first serious physical activity I've done since high school, because I'm a nerd who'd rather sit at a computer. I love it. I've gotten my rear end gently kicked in class, and I'm constantly sore, but I've gotten a lot of strength, lost weight, and discovered muscles that I didn't know I had. The guys at my gym always hang out, so if I were looking to make friends, I'd have no problems. After you spar a few times, you will be less intimidated when you're out. But after you spar, you'll also realize how much a real fight would hurt, even if you win, and you will do what you can to avoid them, at least that is my experience.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Did you ask your coach about breakfalls yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

kimbo305 posted:

Did you ask your coach about breakfalls yet?
Not yet. Class is tomorrow. I look forward to disappointing the thread, if that is even possible at this point.