Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I never have good luck with Goodwill and retro games, but I did find a pretty good quality 27in Trinitron with component inputs that I use. Genesis with HD Retrovision cables looks amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

If you live near a microcenter they'll negotiate graphics cards prices with you. If you're buying parts to build or substantially upgrade your existing system or depending on the manager just buy one and promise it's for gaming they'll adjust the price down to around MSRP.

When I lived in NYC I was a 5 minute walk from the Queens Microcenter, but now that I'm in South Florida there's not even anything Microcenter-esque :( I miss the easy access to electronic components and tools the most, place was instrumental in getting me involved with working on board level electronics and learning circuit design

e: regarding thrift stores, they were amazing for old game and computer stuff in the 90's and maybe very early 2000s. I still hit some up now and then but rarely ever see anything interesting at all.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Someone educate me on the NES Arkanoid controller. I played arkanoid at an arcade today and was reminded how much I love it.

Is there anything to know about the NES Arkanoid controller? Are they all the same? Are they actually good? Does anyone make an aftermarket one or do I have to buy an original?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Someone educate me on the NES Arkanoid controller. I played arkanoid at an arcade today and was reminded how much I love it.

Is there anything to know about the NES Arkanoid controller? Are they all the same? Are they actually good? Does anyone make an aftermarket one or do I have to buy an original?

I would play it on MAME with a mouse or USB spinner. I've actually been looking into building a panel for my NAC with an official Taito spinner and getting a real Arkanoid PCB because I also love Arkanoid

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have one and it doesn't jump around or anything like Atari paddles do. If I remember, sometimes their edge boundaries can get off a bit and there is a pot to adjust it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I've never found anything interesting in second-hand shops myself, but a friend of mine once found a box of twenty or so Saturn games for 20 euros and asked if I wanted them. Well... yes? I think I ended up sending him €25 for the lot.

And that's how I ended up with copies of In the Hunt, Mr. Bones, and Sega Ages vol. 1.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
If you're actually hoping to get (gaming) scores from thrifting you have to actually do it on the regular, otherwise you will never find anything.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

At one time Goodwill was collecting all their games and electronics donations and shipping them to specialty stores in major cities. I went to one in NC and while the selection was certainly impressive they actually understood the value of everything they had. For example, they had a set of Gamecube component cables for $100+ dollars. I don't begrudge them pricing things according to what they're actually worth but it does take some of the "sport" out of thrift shops knowing all the good stuff will be shipped off to specialty stores to be sold at eBay prices.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

The only somewhat good thrift stores I come across are the independent ones that are also huge and do lots of volume. If anyone is in Florida I'm talking about places like Community Thrift near Orlando and World Thrift in Lake Worth. These places have stock that's refreshed throughout the day and have guys camping out by the doors from the warehouse all day with shopping carts waiting to grab anything they can flip on ebay(etc), but they are mostly looking for stuff like semi-current laptops, AV gear, and cameras so a good amount of older game and computer stuff slips through and actually ends up on the shelf

e: weirdly I've also found that some Habitat for Humanity ReStore locations get lots of mainly old computer stuff, but some are nothing but furniture/hardware/building materials

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 28, 2018

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Best thrift I ever had were two broken Dreamcasts for 5 bucks. Combined them into a working one.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
God I can't remember the last decent score I had at a thrift store, maybe when I bought my NES bundled with cords, controller and 5 games for $20? Or that time I got Turtles 3 on GB for 99c? God bless Amvets for not giving a poo poo about prices (except for furniture holy poo poo) and being the right balance of big enough and local enough. Still do better now a days in certain localish pawn shops/collectibles shops selection wise though.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

GutBomb posted:

A few years ago I did the same with a fan translation of the super famicom remake of dragon quest 1 & 2. Simple jRPGs with "modern" quality of life stuff like an action button instead of hunting through menus to open doors and go down the stairs. Good stuff! Any recommendations for when I finish PSG1 and 2?

All the rest of the Dragon Quest games. 3 had remakes on both SFC and GBC, the latter of which is really impressive for the hardware. As was the original 4 on FC/NES, and 4-6 have good remakes for DS and mobile.

quote:

Edit: and don't take 100 hours to get through

May want to skip 7 then. Also check out the Lufia SNES games.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

McCracAttack posted:

At one time Goodwill was collecting all their games and electronics donations and shipping them to specialty stores in major cities. I went to one in NC and while the selection was certainly impressive they actually understood the value of everything they had. For example, they had a set of Gamecube component cables for $100+ dollars. I don't begrudge them pricing things according to what they're actually worth but it does take some of the "sport" out of thrift shops knowing all the good stuff will be shipped off to specialty stores to be sold at eBay prices.

They still do this, but it always relies on each local store bothering to notice that it's "worth" doing this, same thing with how they have policies of sending that stuff to internet auctions.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Ok, so I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on an Extron Crosspoint, but before I do I have a hookup question maybe someone can answer.

I have 3 display devices: the first 2 are the OSSC and PVM, which are easy to hook up. But I also have an early-mid 2000s CRT with component. There's only one component hookup on the TV, so I need to get my RGB and YPbPr consoles through to it on a single cable.

My question is, can I loop a signal through the Extron multiple times?

The hookups would go something like this:

RGB consoles --> Inputs 1-5 --> Output 1 --> Shinybow RGB to YPbPr converter --> loop back around to Input 6 --> Output 2 --> CRT

YPbPr consoles --> Inputs 7-12 --> Output 2 --> CRT

And then I'd loop audio with a male to male phoenix cable as well.

If this doesn't work, I guess I could use a gcomp, but spending $110 when I would only have 2 inputs seems a bit silly.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Score related, earlier this week I got this saturn bundle for $100 on Craigslist.

https://imgur.com/a/o6BXP

It was from a recently retired couple- The guy is still a gamer, has a PS4 and 360.

Panzer Dragoon Saga still has it's original receipt from WaldenSoft with his name and his same phone number on it. Most of the games have torn out magazine pages or sections with tips and tricks. Kinda awesome picturing this now 65+ yo dude doing that.

So, there are still some scores to be found if you're super lucky (I was the first to reply to the ad and he didn't list the big hitters in it)

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

falz posted:

Score related, earlier this week I got this saturn bundle for $100 on Craigslist.

It was from a recently retired couple- The guy is still a gamer, has a PS4 and 360.

Panzer Dragoon Saga still has it's original receipt from WaldenSoft with his name and his same phone number on it. Most of the games have torn out magazine pages or sections with tips and tricks. Kinda awesome picturing this now 65+ yo dude doing that.

So, there are still some scores to be found if you're super lucky (I was the first to reply to the ad and he didn't list the big hitters in it)

Jesus, good find

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

falz posted:

Good Lord

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

falz posted:

drat son

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

falz posted:

That is really awesome. Bet you were shocked when you saw Panzer Dragoon Saga there.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I was buying a gameboy game at goodwill and the cashier asked if I was into old games. She said she had a bunch and took my number. She sold me that dreamcast lot I posted earlier for $30. She felt guilty about charging that much and kept asking "are you sure 30 is OK?"

But my best find in an actual thrift store was A Miracle Piano for something like 5 bucks. I drat near missed it because I just saw the keys sticking out under since stuff on a bottom shelf. I never in my life thought I would have one.

I also got a pip boy in crate for $2 a couple weeks ago. Gave it to a friend as a belated Christmas present.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

RodShaft posted:

But my best find in an actual thrift store was A Miracle Piano for something like 5 bucks. I drat near missed it because I just saw the keys sticking out under since stuff on a bottom shelf. I never in my life thought I would have one.

Well shoot, if anyone in the Seattle area would like a similar deal (or just free), PM me. I also got one at a thrift store like forever ago, with power adapter, controller cable, and sustain peddle. No cart. It's neat, but I'm tired of moving it from one closet to another. You can also have the travel case and USB midi interface I bought for it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
RGB folks, I need a little bit of help. I ordered some cheap SNES SCART cables from amazon and the NESRGB and N64 with my home-made RGB amp look fantastic with it, but when I hook up my Super Famicom with it I get a diagonal interference, looks like a diagonal line of transparent checkerboard that scrolls up the screen. It's very visible on solid colors. It doesn't do this on the N64 or the NES. Also, this interference doesn't show up when using an HD Retrovision component cable on the Super Famicom. I have everything plugged in through a gscartsw_lite so I turned on it's sync stripper but that didn't make a difference. I only have 4 component inputs on my component switch and I just got a Wii so one of my HD-Retrovision consoles has to switch to SCART. Is there something I can do to the cable (add a resistor or something) to try to mitigate this interference? Or should I just get a better cable?

Edit: after doing more research I think I need a csync cable from retro access instead of the cheap cable that I'm using that is sync over composite.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 29, 2018

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Rirse posted:

That is really awesome. Bet you were shocked when you saw Panzer Dragoon Saga there.

Uhhhm yes. He paged through that games right as I bought, he pointed that and a few others out as "good ones". Honestly I'm just as excited to play the Lobotomy FPSs (quake/Duke/PowerSlave) since they sound like they're interesting ports with a unique Saturn engine.

I feel kinda guilty for getting such a deal, but counterpoint: they're just clearing out their basement. They were selling a DVD/VHS player to someone else after me, so to them it's sorta in that category?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So my current Retro Gaming Life right now.

I got one of the Atari 2600s I got from my sister all cleaned and put back together. Looks Nice. Now I'm just waiting for the Coaxial Adapter and the new plug so I can actually use it. I then want to try soldering. My first one is to do the RGB mod for the 2600 http://etim.net.au/2600rgb/ I figure it would be best to practice on these because if I do gently caress up badly enough, I have another I can try again on.

If I do it correctly and am confidant enough, I wanna move on to Mod a NES to output better.

Also Im on Facebook marketplace, trying to find a good, small CRT TV to put on my desk. Ladies and Gentlemen, I am officially In To Deep!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Have to admit I loving the suggestion on My Life is Gaming to use the PSP Go as a PS1 device. Makes another nice Goodwill find really useful, even if a Dualshock 3 for a dollar ins't exactly a rarity.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

GutBomb posted:

Edit: after doing more research I think I need a csync cable from retro access instead of the cheap cable that I'm using that is sync over composite.
That is correct, cheap and poorly shielded sync-on-composite cables have problems with noise just like you're describing. CSYNC or sync-on-luma is the way to go if you want to ensure a clean signal.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Cornflakes posted:

Ok, so I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on an Extron Crosspoint, but before I do I have a hookup question maybe someone can answer.

I have 3 display devices: the first 2 are the OSSC and PVM, which are easy to hook up. But I also have an early-mid 2000s CRT with component. There's only one component hookup on the TV, so I need to get my RGB and YPbPr consoles through to it on a single cable.

My question is, can I loop a signal through the Extron multiple times?

The hookups would go something like this:

RGB consoles --> Inputs 1-5 --> Output 1 --> Shinybow RGB to YPbPr converter --> loop back around to Input 6 --> Output 2 --> CRT

YPbPr consoles --> Inputs 7-12 --> Output 2 --> CRT

And then I'd loop audio with a male to male phoenix cable as well.

If this doesn't work, I guess I could use a gcomp, but spending $110 when I would only have 2 inputs seems a bit silly.

My grok is that you want to hook your RGB consoles to the Crosspoint for switching purposes, with the option to run their RGB signals out to a Shinybow RGB-to-component transcoder. You would then run this newly converted YPbPr signal back into the Crosspoint, so that you could then switch it to be output to your one-input CRT TV along with your native YPbPr consoles.

Ultimate goal: to be able to send native YPbPr (and RGB converted) console signals to the single input on your CRT TV, without having to toss yet another switch in for that functionality. Sound correct?

Without knowing the exact model of Crosspoint, it's hard to give even an educated guess about this. But assuming the Crosspoint doesn't do anything to the signals it inputs (like digitize them or scale them), my off-the-cuff guess is that what you're suggesting should work.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

If you live near a microcenter they'll negotiate graphics cards prices with you. If you're buying parts to build or substantially upgrade your existing system or depending on the manager just buy one and promise it's for gaming they'll adjust the price down to around MSRP.

That's incorrect. They just changed the policy yet again, everything is MSRP but you are limited to one... period.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BigRed0427 posted:

So my current Retro Gaming Life right now.

I got one of the Atari 2600s I got from my sister all cleaned and put back together. Looks Nice. Nowl I'm just waiting for the Coaxial Adapter and the new plug so I can actually use it. I then want to try soldering. My first one is to do the RGB mod for the 2600 http://etim.net.au/2600rgb/ I figure it would be best to practice on these because if I do gently caress up badly enough, I have another I can try again on.

If I do it correctly and am confidant enough, I wanna move on to Mod a NES to output better.

Also Im on Facebook marketplace, trying to find a good, small CRT TV to put on my desk. Ladies and Gentlemen, I am officially In To Deep!

Look for things like kitchen TV, rv TV, boat TV, spacesaver or mountable. Usually available cheap and usually modernish CRTs with rca a/v inputs that will do good enough for many old consoles.

Many are even small and light enough that they can be shipped from eBay or Amazon sellers without undue expense

Djarum posted:

That's incorrect. They just changed the policy yet again, everything is MSRP but you are limited to one... period.

So I might as well buy the latest card and sit on it for a while?

fishmech fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 29, 2018

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

I then want to try soldering. My first one is to do the RGB mod for the 2600 http://etim.net.au/2600rgb/ I figure it would be best to practice on these because if I do gently caress up badly enough, I have another I can try again on.

If you're brand new to soldering I'd recommend practicing on one of these project kits first. They're a good way to build confidence and you've got a blinking loud annoying doodad at the end.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

falz posted:

Uhhhm yes. He paged through that games right as I bought, he pointed that and a few others out as "good ones". Honestly I'm just as excited to play the Lobotomy FPSs (quake/Duke/PowerSlave) since they sound like they're interesting ports with a unique Saturn engine.
Powerslave is sooo good. Like if you fused Metroid Prime with Doom, but it's in Egypt. (Admittedly it hews closer to Doom than Prime, but that's understandable given it's the only one of the two that actually existed at that point.)

I wanna like the port of Quake more, but :shrug: It's just kind of annoying to play with the control schemes on offer (I don't really care for the optional analog one, either, cuz inverted vertical aim and you only look up for as long as you hold the analog nub downward, else you snap back to a neutral angle). Episode 4 must be hell, then, given Spawns are already the worst enemy in existence in the PC version where you can actually sort of hit them with mouse aim - I don't know that I want to fathom attacking them with a Saturn control pad. Meanwhile, I haven't put much time into Duke 3D, though I've gathered a fair bit of the scripted events got axed due to the differences between the Slavedriver engine and the Build engine - an unfortunate but necessary compromise. Kinda wish my copy had a box or manual; may have to rebuy that one.

Anyway, $100 for all that, Jesus

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

BigRed0427 posted:

Get a PVM. You can get 'em with RGB in 8"/9" and 13"/14" sizes. Sony for the latter, but I'd suggest looking at Panasonic's BT-S915DA as an alternative brand for the former.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Kthulhu5000 posted:

My grok is that you want to hook your RGB consoles to the Crosspoint for switching purposes, with the option to run their RGB signals out to a Shinybow RGB-to-component transcoder. You would then run this newly converted YPbPr signal back into the Crosspoint, so that you could then switch it to be output to your one-input CRT TV along with your native YPbPr consoles.

Ultimate goal: to be able to send native YPbPr (and RGB converted) console signals to the single input on your CRT TV, without having to toss yet another switch in for that functionality. Sound correct?

Without knowing the exact model of Crosspoint, it's hard to give even an educated guess about this. But assuming the Crosspoint doesn't do anything to the signals it inputs (like digitize them or scale them), my off-the-cuff guess is that what you're suggesting should work.

Yes, you’re exactly right. The Crosspoint model is XPT300 128HVA 60-220-16.

My hunch is it will work. Can’t think of any reason why it wouldn’t, especially because the Crosspoint doesn’t alter sync in any way as far as I know.

edit: Here's the model page: https://www.extron.com/product/product.aspx?id=1404#desc

edit2: OK, it actually does perform a type of digital sync processing called ADSP, which boosts the voltage and outputs it at something called TTL, which is above normal 75 Ω levels. A PVM can handle it, but I'd need to add a 470 Ω resistor onto the SCART cables running to the OSSC and Shinybow to avoid unnecessary wear and tear on that equipment. Still, I *think* the signal itself should be fine.

Cornflakes fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 29, 2018

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

fishmech posted:

So I might as well buy the latest card and sit on it for a while?

Honestly when the crypto bubble crashes which it will sometime soon you'll be able to by high ends cards for way, way under MSRP. Personally I am waiting and going to pick up one or two used that way. Likely Nvidia and AMD are going to have to cut prices on their new cards pretty drastically to compete with them.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

Powerslave is sooo good. Like if you fused Metroid Prime with Doom, but it's in Egypt. (Admittedly it hews closer to Doom than Prime, but that's understandable given it's the only one of the two that actually existed at that point.)

I wanna like the port of Quake more, but :shrug: It's just kind of annoying to play with the control schemes on offer (I don't really care for the optional analog one, either, cuz inverted vertical aim and you only look up for as long as you hold the analog nub downward, else you snap back to a neutral angle). Episode 4 must be hell, then, given Spawns are already the worst enemy in existence in the PC version where you can actually sort of hit them with mouse aim - I don't know that I want to fathom attacking them with a Saturn control pad. Meanwhile, I haven't put much time into Duke 3D, though I've gathered a fair bit of the scripted events got axed due to the differences between the Slavedriver engine and the Build engine - an unfortunate but necessary compromise. Kinda wish my copy had a box or manual; may have to rebuy that one.

Anyway, $100 for all that, Jesus
Powerslave is great. I did a couple of videos of it for the casual let's play thread a while back and should really get back to it at some point.

The Quake port is more of an interesting curiosity than anything else, really. Between the controls and the frame rate, it's certainly not a very good way to play Quake, but just the fact they managed to get it to run on the Saturn hardware was a minor miracle in itself. It's a shame they had to cut some of the levels such as Ziggurat Vertigo, but that's pretty understandable because I think the Saturn would catch on fire trying to render that poo poo.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

On the other hand, it replaced each cut level (which, as far as I'm aware, are limited to the four secret ones) with a new one unique to the Saturn port that, to my knowledge, have never been ported back to the PC version. That rather bums me out, since there's a rather cool tree-tops stage in Episode 2, and I'd kinda like to muck around that in a version I can actually control well.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Thrift store finds have been pretty slim compared to 10 years ago but they still happen. In recent memory, I bought a Gamecube controller for 4 dollars. Passed on a Game Gear for 25 the other day because I need to save money and don't need more stuff around at the moment.

Also found Castlevania Chronicles for a dollar at a library bookstore a couple years ago,

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I've been practically living at thrift stores for the last 20 years, let's see...

Retro gaming wise, my pile of Dreamcasts acquired during the "every Goodwill has 10 working dreamcasts and 50 controllers", and my original hueg xboxes from around the same time. I think I have 3 DCs and 4-5 xboxen? God only knows how many controllers.

Also, I scored an Extron composite / svideo to RGBHV/vga box a few years ago. I saw a little gray box that said "Extron" at Value Village, and snatched it immediately. I didn't even know what it did, but seeing that name I knew it'd be interesting.

Most of my good thrift store finds are monitors [so many monitors...] and network hardware. Someone liquidated a bunch of Cisco and HP hardware in my hometown, now I have a lot of ports available. :v:

Oh! like 5 years ago I found my Laserdisc player, in amazing condition. Optical audio and svideo out, works like a champ. I was beyond thrilled!

Discount Viscount posted:

Thrift store finds have been pretty slim compared to 10 years ago

Man is that the truth. Not just retro gaming, everything.

e. Oh, I think one of my 1702s came from Goodwill also. One was eBay, one was Craigslist, and yeah I think one was Goodwill. If so, that's far and away the best thing

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 29, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One of the Cash Converters near me has picked up someone's gaming collection. For some strange reason someone owned a literal stack of about 20 white Club Nintendo wallets. And a blue Club Nintendo DS case (which I bought for the sake of novelty).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Get a PVM. You can get 'em with RGB in 8"/9" and 13"/14" sizes. Sony for the latter, but I'd suggest looking at Panasonic's BT-S915DA as an alternative brand for the former.

Besides Ebay and facebook and craigslist where usually people selling know their worth to retro gamers. Where else should I look for PVMs.